FITT - Moving on to GT6!

• Thread starter DigitalBaka
  • 2,044 comments
With various tuners losing their PS3s over the past year and still managing to get tunes into various shootouts, I had a bit of a crazy idea for a future event. Why not do a team tuning event. Each entry would consist of one tuner and one test driver. The tuner would function as crew chief and do all tuning based solely on the test drivers feedback.:crazy:
Would require a bit of coordination to set up the teams, and tuners would have to be on a strict honor code of not driving the car themselves during the tuning period, but think it would be interesting to see how more of us would fair if we had to work under these conditions. Also it would in a way simulate real life where rarely if ever will a crew chief get behind the wheel of the teams race car, instead relying on their own knowledge of how things work and the feedback from the driver during setup and testing.:drool:

I love most of this idea. I have helped quite a few people with tunes for race series. They tell me the car, the track, the specs then we exchange notes on things to try. The thing that is great about this is that the tunes become custom taylored for the test driver.

I don't know if I agree with the tuner being on the honor system of not driving the car. First, the honor system is impossible to police. Second, what if I am awarded a car that I have spent alot of time with in the past? I am looking at this a little differently than the example that you mention of crew chief and driver. I think of this more like a bunch of ametuer racers getting together to discuss how thier tunes are working. I like the idea of collaborating on the tune together, then making it fit the driver like a glove.

When I helped RJ, I didn't offer any suggestions, just gave him feedback on the car and waited for his instructions. I learned alot about his approach, but didn't agree with every suggestion that he made. After the shootout, I was able to make some of those small tweeks and make it a little faster for me. I would have loved to talk back and forth about the tune and things to try. I think two tuners working on the same project together is an interesting idea.

I love the idea, Despy!

Would the teams choose each other or would the tuner/driver teams be assigned randomly?
Track or tracks?
Cars allowed?
Restrictions/tyres?

My PS3 went down with the YLOD last night. I hope to have it up and running ASAP.
Or I might just buy a new one.

As I said the tuner wouldn't be allowed to drive the car at all during the tuning process.
The only information the tuner gets to work with is what the test driver provides to them.

tuner wouldn't be allowed to drive the car at all during the tuning process. ??????????
Are you crazy ?????????:):) That's impossible. I've stayed so much time without my PS3 a few month ago...... Now i have my cockpit and PS3 in front of me and i can't touch the wheel to tune my car ????:crazy::scared::dunce:

Nonnononnononooooooooooooooooo.

1266432768_les_plus_gros_yeux.jpg
509_3_A1.jpg

First I'm glad people seem to be finding this idea interesting.👍👍
Second I hope someone is intrigued enough by it to actually host it at some point. Afraid I won't be up to hosting any events for a while for a variety of reasons.:(

As for cars and tracks, I was thinking along the lines of something like the Clio Cup cars or some of the other fairly low PP race cars running on say Deep Forest which would be a good track to really stretch the cars ability on and provide some interesting tuning challenges.

As for teams it would probably be best if the participants formed those on their own so as to better be able to work together. People from wildly different time zones might have trouble arranging the needed time together for the tuning process.

Another idea for the event, though this would require serious organization, would be to tune the cars for online. Then instead of the normal hot lap testing we do for most events, run a series of short, say 3 lap, races with the drivers switching what teams car they race for each heat. Scoring for that would be similar to recent events with driver feel giving half the final score and the average finishing position being used for the other half the score.:crazy:

@praiano :lol::lol::lol: you could always be the test driver half of a team...but then you wouldn't be able to make any tuning adjustments on your own, just make the adjustments the tuner specified/agreed to.:odd:

Last edited:
What's with the PS3s blowin up?! :eek::odd:

I've added the couple ideas here to the front for safe keeping. :) CSL, I think that list is pretty comprehensive from what I was able to gather up. Hope to see that event do well for turn out as it should. 👍

So what do we want to do at the end of the year here? After Newdriver there isn't anything on the schedule as mine is a little complicated and both JTQ and TR will be pushing back their events for the time being. Do we want to revisit Tons of Fun? Or should we take the rest of the year off and maybe just do some awards polling with all the nuked consoles?

DigitalBaka

I've added the couple ideas here to the front for safe keeping. :) CSL, I think that list is pretty comprehensive from what I was able to gather up. Hope to see that event do well for turn out as it should. 👍

So what do we want to do at the end of the year here? After Newdriver there isn't anything on the schedule as mine is a little complicated and both JTQ and TR will be pushing back their events for the time being. Do we want to revisit Tons of Fun? Or should we take the rest of the year off and maybe just do some awards polling with all the nuked consoles?

Well if there aren't events lined up I would like to host one. Is that possible?

3 days and 120$ and I'll have my PS3 back.

My eldest son made it to the state finals for track and field so Saturday is full anyway. The other two days will be horrible without my fix... I mean GT5.

@ brave bear: have you participated in any shootouts? Have you read through past shootouts to see how they're run? A shootout is a lot to take on, especially if you have no experience participating first.

DigitalBaka

I like the idea of some awards. We can all chip in prizes of sorts, and make if fun.

Like best shootout car, most surprising tune, the "what were you thinking" award... and so on :dopey:

krenkme
I like the idea of some awards. We can all chip in prizes of sorts, and make if fun.

Like best shootout car, most surprising tune, the "what were you thinking" award... and so on :dopey:

I like the sound of that too actually. :lol:

Hello tuners!

I'm co-running this race: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=267511

We'd like to assign each of the teams running the race a tuner/tuning garage. I figured this would be a good way to bring together a few different sections of the GTPlanet community into one event, and this is how I'd like to involve the tuning forum.

If you'd like to be involved, post in that link, here, or drop me a visitor message!

Why have I put this in the FITT thread?
If enough people were to be interested, I'd like FITT to be in charge of the selection process, if that's not too much to ask. We only need three garages/people.

That sounds like a hoot. Presumably it would be tuner making changes, test driver reporting back on those changes? The tuner is banned from driving the car?

I have almost 20 million credits and own all of the premiums, DLC and the standards that I really want. Does anyone need anything? Cars or cars that could be sold for cash?

XDesperado67
With various tuners losing their PS3s over the past year and still managing to get tunes into various shootouts, I had a bit of a crazy idea for a future event. Why not do a team tuning event. Each entry would consist of one tuner and one test driver. The tuner would function as crew chief and do all tuning based solely on the test drivers feedback.:crazy:
Would require a bit of coordination to set up the teams, and tuners would have to be on a strict honor code of not driving the car themselves during the tuning period, but think it would be interesting to see how more of us would fair if we had to work under these conditions. Also it would in a way simulate real life where rarely if ever will a crew chief get behind the wheel of the teams race car, instead relying on their own knowledge of how things work and the feedback from the driver during setup and testing.:drool:

I love this Idea 👍 and I want to sign up as tuner and I have my team mate driver . ;)
We are almost now do the same thing together I tune a car and he take it for spin and tell me the weak points on it to fix it and I think all of you know him sir Cykosis . :dopey:

This new physics update equating online and offline physics seems tailor made for a tuning shootout to thoroughly test whether they are truly equal or not!!!

This new physics update equating online and offline physics seems tailor made for a tuning shootout to thoroughly test whether they are truly equal or not!!!
That's what I was thinking.

I'm wondering if people like the idea of a previous winners shootout or would rather just open-end something like this?

Along MCH's idea, 5-6 car/track combos, but testers would only need to test one car/track combo, or as many as they choose.
Tuners would need an entry for all.
About 5-6 weeks for tuning, maybe something like a 1-tune-per-week deadline for the tuners, in a specific order so testing can commence as early as a week or two in?

Example:
Week 1: Italian car @ Monza - Tuner must have tune submitted by 11/10/12
Week 2: SuperGT @ Suzuka - Tuner must have tune submitted by 11/17/12
Week 3: DTM @ Nurb F - Tuner must have tune submitted by 11/24/12

etc
Of course a tuner could make all tunes in one week and release them immediately if they so choose. No feedback from testers until tuning deadline for that week has passed.

What do people think about DLC?
It would be a select car(s) and/or track(s), so people wouldn't have to own all the DLC, just that particular DLC.
For example the HSV is $1, at least in the US. Motegi is more.

I am getting to the point where I just want to go race. Chasing my ghost around looking for a few tenths here and there was starting to bore me. The 2.09 physics change has made some of my tunes become more alive so this week I am a little more happy to chase my ghost. But, by next week, I think I'll be more excited to hit an online room or Ronald's lobby and line up on grid.

I am getting to the point where I just want to go race. Chasing my ghost around looking for a few tenths here and there was starting to bore me. The 2.09 physics change has made some of my tunes become more alive so this week I am a little more happy to chase my ghost. But, by next week, I think I'll be more excited to hit an online room or Ronald's lobby and line up on grid.

Would love to see you online with us, Hami. You'll often find Newdriver, ACSR421 and myself in a room (that sounds weirder than it's meant to). We're often joined by a few of the other FITT guys. Ron is on often, MrGrado joined us for the first time the other day, even Praiano jumped in the other night.

If I'm brutally honest, I'd rather spend my time racing than chasing ghosts. If nothing else, my success rate is better against people than it is against the clock :mischievous:

{Cy}

CyKosis1973
Would love to see you online with us, Hami. You'll often find Newdriver, ACSR421 and myself in a room (that sounds weirder than it's meant to). We're often joined by a few of the other FITT guys. Ron is on often, MrGrado joined us for the first time the other day, even Praiano jumped in the other night.

If I'm brutally honest, I'd rather spend my time racing than chasing ghosts. If nothing else, my success rate is better against people than it is against the clock :mischievous:

{Cy}

Now I wish I had a working PS3 more than ever... :lol:

{Cy}
When are you guys usually on? been trying to meet up but not having a lot of luck.

Hurry up and get yourself sorted mate, be good to see you online...

When are you guys usually on? been trying to meet up but not having a lot of luck.

We're on most evenings (GMT). ND usually has an open lobby running by the time I get in from work. We've had some awesome meets. There's a group of non-GTP guys that join us too, so jump on in if you see any of us online 👍

{Cy}

trackripper123

I hope I can race you Mate online . And also wish you to got this New PS3 in beginning of the NEw Year 👍

XDesperado67

Hi XD I will send you PM when the room is open so we can race again like last time . I enjoyed this day racing you mate 👍

Almost every day around 7GMT the room is open and you will found Cy , ACSR , Thiagoturbao and Me there having a lot of fun trying to show our cars and skills 👍

CyKosis1973
We're on most evenings (GMT). ND usually has an open lobby running by the time I get in from work. We've had some awesome meets. There's a group of non-GTP guys that join us too, so jump on in if you see any of us online 👍

{Cy}

Lets race tonight I will be online soon Mate .👍

Nd :dopey:

Last edited:
Lets race tonight I will be online soon Mate .👍

Nd :dopey:

Will be on later, my friend. My wife has turned the house upside down whilst painting it. Let me straighten things out a little bit and clear enough room to set my screen up. I have a new V8 to test 👍

{Cy}

I really only get to play after 10PM Eastern Standard Time which is 2 AM GMT.

I did join Ronald's room once this week, but they were schuffle racing. I race a few with them, but really needed the time to put some miles on my next FITT entry. It was awesome fun. I want to do more of that, but with tuned cars.

Back