FITT Transmission tuning challenge; Results in, Congratulations to Otaliema, MrGrado & DaBomm4

• Thread starter Otaliema
  • 104 comments
United States
mid west USA
Otaliema
FITT Transmission tuning challenge
This is a quick challenge to finish out the year and not interfere too much with the year end holidays.
We will be using a prebuilt car, @ImToLegitToQuit
soLXQejEeI6oJh49id_0.jpg

RE Amemiya RX-7 the following settings have been changed to better fit the car to Grand Valley East.
LSD 9/8/10
Aero Front 150 Rear 280
Tyres Sport Soft, (consistency and removes any worry about spinning, this is supposed to be low stress :cheers: )
These changes have been approved by @ImToLegitToQuit :)

All participants should be be familiar with FITT standardized rules

The track that all tuning and testing will be done at is; Grand Valley East

Time line

Dec 8th-15th Tuning of the transmissions.
8th-17th Testing

Tuning rules

5 of the 6 gears must be changed by a minimum of 0.010 from stock values for the Final drive and Top speed slider setting.
The Final Drive doesn’t have to be changed but that is encouraged. :)
You CAN NOT use the transmission that @ImToLegitToQuit built for the car. *yes you will need to rebuild it for the challenge Tolegit if you tune for this one*
Due to the highly compressed nature of the challenge and the time of year, Once you submit your transmission it’s FINAL typo corrections are permitted.

Testing

Go ahead and build the car and start putting down laps at GVE to get yourself familiar with the track and car combo it’s not changing for this challenge. Once a Transmission is posted test it, it’s final.
Although not required I would like to ask testers for a base lap time using the stock 5 speed transmission, for future use and to use as a tie breaker in the event of a tie. The most improved transmission would win. A base lap will also give you a feel for what the custom transmission has done for the car which should help a bit wit the DC scoring of this event as the car is not changing.

As for your DC score, as always its a preference score, but this time it’s focused entirely on the transmission of the car, example things to consider;
did the acceleration improve, how was wheel spin, did you have enough speed for each gear?

Testers please don't post results for any posted transmissions till after the tuning deadline passes thank you.

Tune posting

To reduce the headache of tuning the transmission all tunes need to be posted as follows.
Initial Final Gear (IFG)
Top Speed (TS) km/h & mph Google speed converter when switching to km/h round to nearest 10 km/h when switching to MPH round to nearest 5 MPH
Gears
Final Gear

Results posting I ask that you post your results for the tuners in the same order as the list for tuners this reduces the chance I will switch up a time.

Tuners;
  1. @Otaliema Tune here
  2. @DaBomm4 Tune here
  3. @Ronald6
  4. @Lionheart2113 Tune here
  5. @Bowtie-muscle Tune here
  6. @MrGrado Tune here
  7. @praiano63 Tune was not made with in rules, tuner withdrew from challenge.
  8. [S]@xande1959[/S] Tune here out of compliance for challenge. didn't meet gearing change requirement.

Testers;
  1. @Otaliema
  2. @Ronald6
  3. @Lionheart2113
  4. @MrGrado
  5. @praiano63 Tester withdrew from the challenge

Last edited:
Final Results

Transmission tuning results sheet

GVE Lap Time Podium
1 Otaliema 1:5.186 +0.000
2 MrGrado 1:5.318 +0.133
3 DaBomm4 1:5.567 +0.382
4 Bowtie-Muscle 1:5.610 +0.424
5 Lionheart2113 1:5.764 +0.579

Drivers Choice Podium
1 MrGrado 9.63
2 DaBomm4 9.17
3 Otaliema 8.63
4 Bowtie-Muscle 8.33
5 Lionheart2113 5.67

Fastest Lap at GVE
1:04.260; MrGrado's tune Driven By MrGrado

Final thoughts.
I knew going in this would be a low turn out challenge and honestly this did about as well as I expected it too. Sadly we had one set of results and two tunes get disqualified this challenge due to improper building of the tune or the car :( Looking at the results MrGrado had the best set up with a 2/1 finish on the podiums. I will be studying his transmission closely ;) I think with the limited laps we had what we see is the build of the transmission can be worth more than 0.500 seconds on a short high speed track like Grand Valley east, it would be interesting to run testing on longer and or more technical tracks. To see how much a well built transmission can help you there.

Happy holidays to everyone, have a safe rest of the year. May you get what you want and what you didn't know you needed at this gift giving time of year.

Last edited:
I will tune but my current schedule looks like I will be away from my PS3 from the 15th until the new year. Good luck everyone. :D

I will tune but my current schedule looks like I will be away from my PS3 from the 15th until the new year. Good luck everyone. :D
added to the tuners list.
You can test as well if you want the only way you couldn't get results in is if a tune is posted on the 15th after you leave. That is up to you though :)

added to the tuners list.
You can test as well if you want the only way you couldn't get results in is if a tune is posted on the 15th after you leave. That is up to you though :)
I thought about doing so, or possibly doing an off the books testing when I am back with my PS3.

Edit: Yay! After 3 attempts I have updated this challenge into the Records and Archives via the iOS Chrome app. :banghead: Last time I try that, I'm too lazy for that frustration. :P

Last edited:
I thought about doing so, or possibly doing an off the books testing when I am back with my PS3.

Edit: Yay! After 3 attempts I have updated this challenge into the Records and Archives via the iOS Chrome app. :banghead: Last time I try that, I'm too lazy for that frustration. :P
ya know learning some BB code and using the regular text editor via the wrench in the top right solves most of the issues with chrome for iOS

True, but that requires learning new things which sounds like work. :scared:
Lol. I'll say that the equations and stuff they use on the scoring spreadsheet is way ovet my head and I still find the bb code pretty easy. It's nice to learn so you can add a little flair or customization to your garage.

True, but that requires learning new things which sounds like work. :scared:
it's no hard just use the ] and [ brackets and the most common commands are img url center b (bold) size and close the tag with a [/(same command)] and your done just toss your text inbetween the command brackets.

Lol. I'll say that the equations and stuff they use on the scoring spreadsheet is way ovet my head and I still find the bb code pretty easy. It's nice to learn so you can add a little flair or customization to your garage.
AGREED! hey you going to tune a new trans for your car for this?

interesting in automadtic mode have to make a throw away gear to get it to shift into a more desirable gear for a section of the course....

interesting in automadtic mode have to make a throw away gear to get it to shift into a more desirable gear for a section of the course....
I was wondering about the transmission setup we are supposed to use as a base. Is it stock, @ImToLegitToQuit transmission as is, or fully custom with stock settings? I used the transmission listed and never got into 6th gear, I think it's around 148mph that it switches for me and I could only get up to 146mph on the straight.
Oh and if possible, tuner and tester for me please!:cheers:

Last edited:
I was wondering about the transmission setup we are supposed to use as a base. Is it stock, @ImToLegitToQuit transmission as is, or fully custom with stock settings? I used the transmission listed and never got into 6th gear, I think it's around 148mph that it switches for me and I could only get up to 146mph on the straight.
Oh and if possible, tuner and tester for me please!:cheers:
If you choose to do a base lap time please use the stock 5 speed transmission. Added to the list sir. And this car would be a good to try manual with its forgiving and there is a noticeable difference in speed and handling with it. No matter what I do I can't match the speed of a manual with an auto.

Last edited:
I have been getting slammed at work and busy at home the past week and a half and looks the same for the next few weeks but will try and at least tune for this.
Added to the list. Here is to hoping things settle down in time for Christmas so you can spend it with your loved ones.

How is having a base time going to help in a tiebreaker situation? Anyway, I will tune a gearbox and test.
Added to the list.
In theory an one of them will have a better average increase. Whilst using hot laps is a good way to do it, one smoking good lap could bring a car that has a higher average lap up to a car with a lower average lap.

Say Gear box 1 has a average improvement of -1.540, gear box 2 has an average improvement of -1.560, but tester 4 got a screaming good lap with gear box 2 of -1.480 and had a little slower lap of -1.580 on gear box 1, that difference would bring gear box 2 in line with or very close to gear box 1 in terms of overall all average. but the average improvement would still be -1.560 for gear box two.

Last edited:
Time check?
i'm looking in the low 1:07's to high 1:06's currently with no wheel spin in MT and little wheel spin in AT.

1:04.585

I drove many laps to get my time down.

There's a lot of time to be found by getting the hairpin right and also getting on the power as early as possible leading on to the straight.

Edit:

New fastest lap: 1:04.247

Last edited:
1:04.585

I drove many laps to get my time down.

There's a lot of time to be found by getting the hairpin right and also getting on the power as early as possible leading on to the straight.
Agreed, and the uphill chiane can be good for a chunk of time. Getting the gears right to let you go flat out most of the is harder than it sounds. I think anyways.

My tune submission resulted in an argument between 3 different setups because I could not just try to tune it once, but I had to try two more times and none of them did better and feel better than this one.

Initial Final Gear 4.000
Top Speed 155 MPH / ~250 KM/H
Gears
1st: 3.150
2nd: 2.460
3rd: 1.870
4th: 1.480
5th: 1.220
6th: 0.980
Final Gear 3.650

My tune submission resulted in an argument between 3 different setups because I could not just try to tune it once, but I had to try two more times and none of them did better and feel better than this one.

Initial Final Gear 4.000
Top Speed 155 MPH / ~250 KM/H
Gears
1st: 3.150
2nd: 2.460
3rd: 1.870
4th: 1.480
5th: 1.220
6th: 0.980
Final Gear 3.650
Sounds like me lol I have the same argument goin on in my notes.

IFG 2.800
TS 250 kph/155mph
1st 6.033
2nd 3.424
3rd 2.637
4th 2.196
5th 1.841
6th 1.433
Final 2.500
here it is

My trans testing is finished and I found something quite interesting. I had already tuned this car so I simply put Legit's settings into settings "B" and started over. I began by doing 5 laps to get used to the tune and to set a base with the stock 5 speed trans - best lap 1:06.868. Then I switched to the FC trans but made no changes, best lap after 5 - 1:05.734.
Then I began to build my trans, using the ghost to see gains and loses from the stock FC trans. Got the trans where I liked it and achieved better exit leading into the tunnel but could never beat the stock FC time, best was a 1:06.044 (remember that time!!). I then tried a few things and went back to where I was and had a lap of 1:05.743 (0.088 behind) although it was better up to the tunnel. I never seemed to get the lap as good from the tunnel exit right hander to the finish line as the ghost.:confused:

Here's the weird part, I then went to settings "A" and loaded up my trans setup from the tune a built during the Hot Version Challenge(I opted to submit my NSX tune for that) and noted the slight difference, not much really. Made 1 minor change, lowered the final gear from 4.100 to 4.050 - best lap, 1:06.044. The same as the other build but neither could beat the stock FC tranny. Most laps both were better for the first part of the track but only by 2 or 3 tenths. Changing from stock to FC improves the lap, but does changing the FC trans actually help. I believe so as they both felt better and improved in some corners. However, suspension makes the biggest difference as stock FC and "two" builds were all within 2 or 3 tenths which likely can be explained to nailing a few corners perfect on 1 lap.

The better feeling trans for me:
Initial Final Gear - 5.500 (maximum)
Top Speed - 124 (minimum)
1st - 2.775
2nd - 2.050
3rd - 1.620
4th - 1.320
5th - 1.110
6th - 0.955
Final - 4.050

The other just in case anyone is interested:
Initial Final Gear - 5.500(maximum)
Top Speed - 124(minimum)
1st - 2.950
2nd - 2.090
3rd - 1.605
4th - 1.300
5th - 1.090
6th - 0.940
Final - 4.050

I guess I always build them sort of close to the same way. Did have another setup that I wanted to try but ran out of time. If you are testing only one, use the top setup.:)

@Bowtie-muscle you use automatic right? If yes I think I know what's happening with times on this car, fifth gear is messing you up on the start finish as its really slow to shift out of it due to the lack of power between 7500 & 8100 rpm which is the shift point. You spend a ton of time in fourth and fifth gear on the back of the track.

@Bowtie-muscle you use automatic right? If yes I think I know what's happening with times on this car, fifth gear is messing you up on the start finish as its really slow to shift out of it due to the lack of power between 7500 & 8100 rpm which is the shift point. You spend a ton of time in fourth and fifth gear on the back of the track.
@Bowtie-muscle uses manual if I remember correctly.

I did laps with the stock 5 speed trans. 1:04.800. Merely 0.553 seconds behind my best time with my transmission tune.

Entry:

Initial Final Gear - 5.500 (maximum)
Top Speed - 124 (minimum)
1st - 3.505
2nd - 1.923
3rd - 1.656
4th - 1.409
5th - 1.150
6th - 0.915
Final - 3.720

Results:

1:04.452 Otaliema DC 9 (Nice transmission. Fast top speed. Potentially more lap speed in this tune with cleaner driving.)

1:04.478 DaBomm4 DC 9 (Nice transmission. Potentially more lap speed in this tune with cleaner driving.)

1:05.023 Lionheart2113 DC 3 (Not an effective transmission. Very low top speed. Slower than standard trans. Not great anywhere during lap.)

1:04.533 Bowtie-muscle DC 8 (Nice transmission except for low top speed)

1:04.257 MrGrado DC 10 (Close lower gears makes gear selection for low/mid speed cornering more precise. Acceleration through lower gears is not especially superior but high speed performance is barely damaged, if at all. Gears tweaked to avoid awkward changes at critical moments. Fast top speed. Potentially more lap speed in this tune with cleaner driving.)

1:04.661 Xande DC 5 (Transmission basically untuned. Tune not built to event requirements.)

1:04.800 benchmark DC 6 (Top speed okay. Poor performance at hairpin. Generally not quite in sweet spot of RPM in turns with wider gears and overall slightly poor performance.)

1:04.232 Praiano DC 9 (Fast top speed. Fast acceleration through whole speed range. Fairly generic setup. None of the gears seem especially tweaked for turns. Fast lap possible with near perfect driving.)

1:-------- Ronald6 DC 0

Last edited:
There was no problem with the trans, and yes I use manual, what I believe happened was that the exit leading into the tunnel improved. This allowed me to carry more speed through the tunnel, higher speed for the following right turn was higher changing the corner entry. Going just a tick slower changed how I got through the corner giving better launch down the hill. Not much, just a tick, the final double right hander I was just never able to get the same speed through but not due to the trans I do believe.

Back