FITT Transmission tuning challenge; Results in, Congratulations to Otaliema, MrGrado & DaBomm4

• Thread starter Otaliema
  • 104 comments
In the sake of interest, would it be an idea to run the cars with a simple fixed max-speed adjustment to compare what effect merely fitting the full custom trans has?

ie.
Stock trans - x.xx
FCT (180mph) - x.xx
Tuner 1 - x.xx
Tuner 2 - x.xx
Tuner 3 - x.xx
etc.
When I was tuning mine, that's what I did for the first setup I tried, get a good lap with stock, then with the stock FC, then the tuned result. What I found, for me, was minor gains with each setting, worthwhile gains but small. Then I build my next 2 and they both had different improvements from the first one.

In the sake of interest, would it be an idea to run the cars with a simple fixed max-speed adjustment to compare what effect merely fitting the full custom trans has?

ie.
Stock trans - x.xx
FCT (180mph) - x.xx
Tuner 1 - x.xx
Tuner 2 - x.xx
Tuner 3 - x.xx
etc.
That is something that would be good to do in a non-challenges environment but rather a testing environment.
When I was tuning mine, that's what I did for the first setup I tried, get a good lap with stock, then with the stock FC, then the tuned result. What I found, for me, was minor gains with each setting, worthwhile gains but small. Then I build my next 2 and they both had different improvements from the first one.
That's what I got when I did my base tests as well each step gave small gains and the end result was a good gain.

That is something that would be good to do in a non-challenges environment but rather a testing environment.

That's what I got when I did my base tests as well each step gave small gains and the end result was a good gain.
If you are asking the tuners to put down an example time with the stock gearbox then I see no difference in making another, more relevant comparison point. Seems like a wasted opportunity otherwise

Here are the numbers of the 2 cars. There is absolutely no difference on track, even more in this case where not the lap time but the time difference between the 2 gearboxes is the goal of the test.
I'm sorry for any confusion on the base lap request, it would be used only as a tie breaker it the main way to determine the win. Best lap still wins this one.

If you are asking the tuners to put down an example time with the stock gearbox then I see no difference in making another, more relevant comparison point. Seems like a wasted opportunity otherwise
Agreed it is a missed oppertunity possibly so if a tester or tuner has or wants to run the stock FCT values for a lap time I won't say no to the data but I won't require it.

DaBomm4 has submitted an entry on page 1.
Fixed sorry missed it, pretty tired right now been up for 16 hours. Thank you sir.
@DaBomm4 no worries on your transmission @MrGrado reminded me :)

Caught a rumor mill that they will be patching to 1.15 on the 17th. Here is to hoping no major changes to the game. :cheers:

I'm sorry for any confusion on the base lap request, it would be used only as a tie breaker it the main way to determine the win. Best lap still wins this one.
Best lap wins ?? Due to a gearbox ?? Using the same tune??
Sorry but this is a driver shootout, not a tuning shootout. Only a custom gearbox setting will not reveal any difference of the tuning aspect. For this, only the difference of performance of the 2 gearboxes make sense.
It´s your shootout anyway, good luck with this to everybody.

Any chance to have praiano's entry accepted? The settings can be fitted with final set to 2.600 and top speed set to 320km/h, then set 1st through to 6th and final gear.

Any chance to have praiano's entry accepted? The settings can be fitted with final set to 2.600 and top speed set to 320km/h, then set 1st through to 6th and final gear.
This is how i did for 2 gearboxes that was using minimum value for 1st gear and maximum value for 6th gear.
The way was to sacrify the 1st gear ratio that is not used on track just a bit to match all the others.... Anyway , i have deleted my results yesterday already. No problems.

Best lap wins ?? Due to a gearbox ?? Using the same tune??
Sorry but this is a driver shootout, not a tuning shootout. Only a custom gearbox setting will not reveal any difference of the tuning aspect. For this, only the difference of performance of the 2 gearboxes make sense.
It´s your shootout anyway, good luck with this to everybody.
The transmission does affect the handling of the car, changes the line you take for the course a little bit. While I don't have your results written down I do recall there being more than tenth of a second differences between the transmissions, and with how consistent of a driver you are, that is a significant difference, indcating the transmission had noticeable impact on the cars performance.

Unfortunately the transmission that was submitted was built outside the rules of the challenge (8500 rpm engine) and a rebuild was not provided(8600 rpm engine), you can test it for your own curiosity and post the results if you like but they will not be counted for the challenge.

The transmission does affect the handling of the car, changes the line you take for the course a little bit. While I don't have your results written down I do recall there being more than tenth of a second differences between the transmissions, and with how consistent of a driver you are, that is a significant difference, indcating the transmission had noticeable impact on the cars performance.

Unfortunately the transmission that was submitted was built outside the rules of the challenge (8500 rpm engine) and a rebuild was not provided(8600 rpm engine), you can test it for your own curiosity and post the results if you like but they will not be counted for the challenge.
If i remember well , The difference between tuned gearbox was not enough to say, this one is better than this one. 0.1 or 0.2xxx are not enough to say this testing a car around 10 laps only. For this you would need a good bspec mode or better ,an alien driver.
Like i´ve said already , good luck with this.

Tuning rules
5 of the 6 gears must be changed by a minimum of 0.010 from stock values for the Final drive and Top speed slider setting.

- TRASMISSION
. RESET
. Final Gear = 3,911
. 200 Km/h
. 1ª 4,153
only 0.001 from stock of final drive and top speed setting
. 2ª 2,992
. 3ª 2,274
no change from stock of final drive and top speed setting
. 4ª 1,804
. 5ª 1,494
. 6ª 1,292

- Final Gear = 3,000
. enjoy this transmission will be able to balance the forces:cheers:
Your settings are not with in the tuning rules for the challenge. I missed that when you posted it. I will allow you to re-tune the transmission to fit with in the rules.

Testing for the FITT transmission tuning challenge help at Grand valley east.
Track grip set to real, ABS 1 all other AID off.

Base lap with stock 5 gear transmission 1:07.184
Bonus lap stock FCT S set to 290 km/h 1:07.027

All transmissions tested with the stock 5 speed transmission ghost loaded at the start of each set of laps, all tunes got 10 laps or till I felt I have gotten all I’m going to get from the transmission. Difference is to the 5 speed transmission.

@Otaliema Tune here

Lap time;1:05.713 DC;7.9 Difference;-1.0471

Impressions; This was a quick transmission, as fast as MrGrado’s but a little quicker on the uptake at the low end, this also made the car a bit twitchy and I had several good laps go out the window because of this. In hindsight I made 2nd too short and 6th a tad too long.

@DaBomm4 Tune here

Lap time;1:06.586 DC; 9.0 Difference;-0.598

Impressions; Good pull out of the low speed turns, good acceleration at top end, didn’t upset the balance of the car in the chicane or at the tunnel. Well done.

@Lionheart2113 Tune here

Lap time;1:06.765 DC;7.5 Difference;-0.419

Impressions; Solid transmission with great acceleration but the limited top speed hurt it on the start finish straight, being about 12 km/h slower than the stock transmission meant I was playing catch up till the tunnel where the acceleration at low end made up for it. I lost about 0.300 seconds of my lead from the tunnel to the start finish line because the acceleration just came to a grinding halt at 220 km/h and slowly crept to 226. A longer 6th gear would have made this one of the fastest transmissions.

@Bowtie-muscle Tune here

Lap time;1:06.752 DC;8.5 Difference;-0.432

Impressions;Well rounded and balanced transmission didn’t accel at anyone place but didn’t suffer much either, was a little short on the top speed another 0.020 longer on 6th would have helped it get that last 5 km/h it was missing from the fastest transmissions.

@MrGrado Tune here

Lap time; 1:06.175 DC;9.9 Difference; -1.009

Impressions; Fantastic balanced transmission, would hold the car steady, didn't over power the rear handled the hairpin like a champ and allowed the car to take the chicanes at pretty high clip. I hit the highest speed with this transmission at 239 km/h consistently and 240 once. Very well done.

@xande1959 Tune here

Lap time; DC; Difference;

Impressions; Pending update to tune.

I was looking to use this to get some answers, but thanks to a setup (who I can't name yet) I've got more questions. :banghead:
yeah 5 transmissions 5 setups 5 different cars on the track. I can only imagine what it's like in an auto always being high rpm.

- sorry my mistake. may have to be more careful:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::odd:
no worries I see you have edited the post i'll double check it
no change in the status of the tune. if you want to redo the tune i can give you till i get up in the morning tomorrow so about 16 1/2 from now.

Last edited:
Transmission Challenge
RE Amemiya RX-7

Driving Options
Driving Line: OFF
Blind Spot Indicator: OFF
Active Steering: OFF
Traction Control: 0
Active Stability Management (ASM): OFF
Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS): 1
Skid Recovery Force (SRF): OFF
Controller Sensitivity: 5

DS3 (dpads)
"X" throttle
Square brake
Automatic Transmission

5 Speed Transmission Stock
Lap Time - 1:05.756

@Otaliema
Lap Time - 1:05.392
DC Score - 9.5
As soon as I hit the start/finish line on the first lap, I easily pulled away from the ghost. Great gearing for the straight, but it did catch me a little off guard. After a few laps and altering my line a little, it was great.

@DaBomm4
Lap Time - 1:05.638
DC Score - 8.0
I found this setup a little more snug than the others. Just had to wait a little more before picking up the throttle.

Lionheart2113
Lap Time - 1:05.505
DC Score - 6.5
This is what you get when you run out of time. The reason for this setup was that it was the fastest of the 15 I had a chance to test with no time to alter the ratios for this track.

@Bowtie-muscle
Lap Time - 1:05.544
DC Score - 8.5
This was a well rounded setup that I found easy to drive.

@MrGrado
Lap Time - 1:05.523
DC Score - 9.0
This car was frustrating but amazing at the same time. The gear changes were so quick, it was shifting up and down in the slower corners throwing off my line. But the section leading downhill was brilliant, the downshifts matched my braking points perfectly and it felt as if I was driving a manual because I could easily manipulate the shifts. I left a lot of time on this track with this car though. Better setup than driver syndrome.

Edit: sorry, DC scores were not correct. Internet kept going down when typing this up...

Last edited:
Back