Flawed?

What we're talking about here is more important to realism than most things declared as such in the forums here. Damage is needed as the real way to employ risk and curb or cost a racer for flagrant, chronic and excessive short cutting, along with sand pits properly done that will always cost you time.

There are other, better ways to encourage better driving with the following benefits:

Firstly, damaging a car effs you over for the rest of the race, not just the lap. This is a lasting penalty

Secondly, damage is VERY expensive; it takes a lot of processing power that I would rather use for better environments, rain, snow, livetrack, and with some still left over for better physics and AI.

Flag penalties (if they're done RIGHT) are a great alternative. Same with logical speed penalties (sand traps, better collision physics), and a million other ways.

Gameplay is IN NOW WAY improved by damage; by it's very nature it makes gameplay less enjoyable, and for what, this?

9iDTXYA_9nQ.jpg

No thank you. Damage done right take far more power than what the current consoles spit out altogether, it's bad for gameplay, so it's not a worthy inclusion.

Gameplay is IN NOW WAY improved by damage; by it's very nature it makes gameplay less enjoyable

That's your opinion, and not shared by all, certainly not me. To me, its like saying in first person shooters, getting hurt and dying, by its very nature makes gameplay less enjoyable. The whole point of racing is to push as hard as you can whilst staying safe, ie, not crashing. Damage is the result of crashing, thus, avoiding damage makes the game more exciting, more immersive, more "enjoyable". Having no damage is like not getting hurt when you get shot or stabbed in an action or adventure game, its the penalty for when you push beyond your limits and the cars limits.

I'd much rather damage "less than perfect" like done in Forza, GTR, Live for Speed, Need for Speed, etc, than having no damage at all.

You know how many people (particularly mainstream gamers) would be complaining if there were no damage added in FM3 and instead they got some weather effects? And with that icy road, you just slide into a wall and bounce off, GT4 style..."Oops, roads slick LOL guess I'll just wallride LOL!"

That's your opinion, and not shared by all, certainly not me. To me, its like saying in first person shooters, getting hurt and dying, by its very nature makes gameplay less enjoyable.

Except the whole point of racing (well, REAL racing, not burnout or some other arcade mode) ISN'T to make the other person hurt or die. In games like Burnout and CounterStrike, where the mechanics are kill and die (in that order), it's needed.

The whole point of racing is to push as hard as you can whilst staying safe, ie, not crashing.

The whole point of racing is indeed to push as hard as you can to achieve the best times, and/or have good close racing (either can be GREAT fun). To both of those ends all that is needed is a form of penalty, not necessarily damage, but some form of penalty.

Damage is the result of crashing, thus, avoiding damage makes the game more exciting, more immersive, more "enjoyable".

And yet, without damage, I had no problem enjoying the following games:
Halfbrick Rocket Racer
GT4
Supercar Challenge
GT5P
and many more, including PC games with the damage option turned off.

The result of crashing is always going to be a bad result, but I would rather have a temporary bad result then a severe handicap for the rest of the race.

What do you think is more fun and immersive;
Messing up a corner and hitting a wall and recieving a 50k/h penalty for 5 seconds before being able to resume at full pace and enjoying the rest of the race,
or
Hitting a corner and having the rest of the race go by at less than 50km/h in a heavily scratched (but not structurally damaged) Porsche making funny noises and watching as the artificial stupid that helped you into the wall claim first through seventh.

Having no damage is like not getting hurt when you get shot or stabbed in an action or adventure game, its the penalty for when you push beyond your limits and the cars limits.

You seem to believe that damage is the only penalty system. Thankfully, this is not the case.
I'm enough of a racer to think that losing prescious time and track position is a penalty. If you don't believe losing time and speed and track position is a massive loss, then you should be playing Burnout.

BTW, you analogies aren't all that good. Action adventure games are based on these 2 things:
damage other people, and
enjoy the scenery/story/visuals

A more correct version of your analogy would by saying a racing game without damage is like an action adventure game without fall damage.

I'd much rather damage "less than perfect" like done in Forza, GTR, Live for Speed, Need for Speed, etc, than having no damage at all.
I'd rather better physics and a ton more features, but hey...
You know how many people (particularly mainstream gamers) would be complaining if there were no damage added in FM3 and instead they got some weather effects?

Probably the same amount that buy FPS games based on the title.
Of course, I don't particularly care about making the biggest most popular generic franchise, because I know the sim fans would appreciate the superior physics I could include, as well as more weather conditions, better AI, livetrack, etc. Things that actually ADD to the racing.

And with that icy road, you just slide into a wall and bounce off, GT4 style..."Oops, roads slick LOL guess I'll just wallride LOL!"
If you're wallriding, you need better collision physics. No exceptions.

I'd rather have this (no damage, but better track conditions, night racing, etc)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaSvK-kZe2I
than this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfB8NifCZAw&feature=related

Replies in red.
That's your opinion, and not shared by all, certainly not me. To me, its like saying in first person shooters, getting hurt and dying, by its very nature makes gameplay less enjoyable.

Except the whole point of racing (well, REAL racing, not burnout or some other arcade mode) ISN'T to make the other person hurt or die. In games like Burnout and CounterStrike, where the mechanics are kill and die (in that order), it's needed.

And if you race on good servers in a simulation racing game, everyone on the server WONT be attempting to make the other person hurt or die. Its only in arcade games or on crappy servers that you get people attempting to crash you... play LFS, GTR, iRacing, whatever, people wont be attempting to crash you.

The whole point of racing is to push as hard as you can whilst staying safe, ie, not crashing.

The whole point of racing is indeed to push as hard as you can to achieve the best times, and/or have good close racing (either can be GREAT fun). To both of those ends all that is needed is a form of penalty, not necessarily damage, but some form of penalty.

Yeah, some sort of penalty, and for me and many other racers, "damage" is the penalty we want, which is why almost all serious racing sims have damage (with the exception of GT, up until GT5 which will have damage)

Damage is the result of crashing, thus, avoiding damage makes the game more exciting, more immersive, more "enjoyable".

And yet, without damage, I had no problem enjoying the following games:
Halfbrick Rocket Racer
GT4
Supercar Challenge
GT5P
and many more, including PC games with the damage option turned off.

I never said damage was a requirement for enjoyment, I said it makes it "more" enjoyable. I enjoy lots of games and have enjoyed many games in the past that lack features that I consider enhancing enjoyment.

The result of crashing is always going to be a bad result, but I would rather have a temporary bad result then a severe handicap for the rest of the race.

I'd rather have a more realistic penalty, like real racing, which lasts the whole race. Granted I dont want the penalty to be so harsh as to have to take weeks off to repair the car, but damage as its implemented in most games is a good compromise.

What do you think is more fun and immersive;
Messing up a corner and hitting a wall and recieving a 50k/h penalty for 5 seconds before being able to resume at full pace and enjoying the rest of the race,
or
Hitting a corner and having the rest of the race go by at less than 50km/h in a heavily scratched (but not structurally damaged) Porsche making funny noises and watching as the artificial stupid that helped you into the wall claim first through seventh.

The joy of damage doesn't come from the hitting the wall. The joy of damage comes from the chance that you might hit a wall. I dont crash thinking "oh that was fun", I swear at the computer and bang my chair :P

The joy of damage comes from pushing hard through a corner going 2 wide with another racer online, pushing hard on the throttle trying to get the better exit, all the time knowing that if you screw up you will end up in a wall having lost it all (or being a lap down after a pit stop to repair the damage), or accidently taking out the other person and being shunned as a noob and maybe kicked off the server. The potential of having your race destroyed as you roll down the track watching your car fall apart. Its at those moments you are more immersed in the game thanks to damage.

Opposed to wizzing around knowing the worst that could happen if you screw up is a bit of a penalty.

Damage makes the fight to maintain grip around a corner or battling through traffic so much more immersive and entertaining, to me at least, you may disagree, that's up to you.

Having no damage is like not getting hurt when you get shot or stabbed in an action or adventure game, its the penalty for when you push beyond your limits and the cars limits.

You seem to believe that damage is the only penalty system. Thankfully, this is not the case.
I'm enough of a racer to think that losing prescious time and track position is a penalty. If you don't believe losing time and speed and track position is a massive loss, then you should be playing Burnout.

No need for the insults... I play PC sims with damage and enjoy them very much along with many other people.

I'm enough of a racer to actually want the thrill of pushing hard with a consequence as great as potentially destroying the race for me and others. I'm enough of a racer to race wheel to wheel in a Formula 3000 knowing that skidding out by a couple of feet and nudging the car next to me while pushing past my limits may end the race.

BTW, you analogies aren't all that good. Action adventure games are based on these 2 things:
damage other people, and
enjoy the scenery/story/visuals

A more correct version of your analogy would by saying a racing game without damage is like an action adventure game without fall damage.

Apologies, I meant action or adventure games. And not dying/getting hurt is part of what these games are based on. I dont play them with the expectation to die every 2 seconds, however I know its a possibility if I play crap.

I'd rather better physics and a ton more features, but hey...

And I feel you dont need to compromise on either. Granted I'd sacrifice a big car list for damage, but PC sims show you can have damage and good physics in one package. PC sims are generally only smaller than console sims like GT and Forza because they have much smaller budgets and spend more time focusing on accurate tracks and physics

If you're wallriding, you need better collision physics. No exceptions.

Of course

I'd rather have this (no damage, but better track conditions, night racing, etc)

You seem to think that having damage somehow eliminates the possibility of weather or better track conditions. Forza doesn't have these features because thats how T10 decided to do it, it doesn't mean they sat down in a room and decided "we wont have night racing because we have damage". Just because you have damage doesn't say anything about other features. Everyone wants extra features... damage is one of the features I want, SUVs is one feature I couldn't give a damn about but I'm sure other people are over the moon about. Rally racing is a feature I couldn't give a damn about too.

And if you race on good servers in a simulation racing game, everyone on the server WONT be attempting to make the other person hurt or die. Its only in arcade games or on crappy servers that you get people attempting to crash you... play LFS, GTR, iRacing, whatever, people wont be attempting to crash you.

I never said anything about servers, rather that the point of many shooters is to inflict damage, and that damage is therefore very different (with regards to gameplay) than racing damage. If you do well in a FPS, many people get damaged. If you do well in a racing sim, nobody gets damaged.

I'd rather have a more realistic penalty, like real racing, which lasts the whole race. Granted I dont want the penalty to be so harsh as to have to take weeks off to repair the car, but damage as its implemented in most games is a good compromise.

I'd rather enjoy the whole race. This is a game, after all.

The joy of damage doesn't come from the hitting the wall. The joy of damage comes from the chance that you might hit a wall. I dont crash thinking "oh that was fun", I swear at the computer and bang my chair

The joy of damage comes from pushing hard through a corner going 2 wide with another racer online, pushing hard on the throttle trying to get the better exit, all the time knowing that if you screw up you will end up in a wall having lost it all (or being a lap down after a pit stop to repair the damage), or accidently taking out the other person and being shunned as a noob and maybe kicked off the server. The potential of having your race destroyed as you roll down the track watching your car fall apart. Its at those moments you are more immersed in the game thanks to damage.

Opposed to wizzing around knowing the worst that could happen if you screw up is a bit of a penalty.

Damage makes the fight to maintain grip around a corner or battling through traffic so much more immersive and entertaining, to me at least, you may disagree, that's up to you.

The joy of racing is getting it right, it's the challenge and reward, and to that extent the physics play a much larger role than damage ever could and ever will. Point is, there's no enjoyable element of damage, rather the only parts you enjoy are when you AREN'T damaged. What happens after you crash becomes irrelevant as long as it's bad.

No need for the insults... I play PC sims with damage and enjoy them very much along with many other people.

I'm enough of a racer to actually want the thrill of pushing hard with a consequence as great as potentially destroying the race for me and others. I'm enough of a racer to race wheel to wheel in a Formula 3000 knowing that skidding out by a couple of feet and nudging the car next to me while pushing past my limits may end the race.

I did not mean to insult you, though I apologize for any offense you took.

But I simply do not believe people enjoy the notion of racing with a specific risk. I KNOW they enjoy overcoming that risk, the rewards are that much sweeter, but that does not mean that the quality of the specific risk (the penalty being discussed here) is a huge part of it (quite the opposite, really).

Apologies, I meant action or adventure games. And not dying/getting hurt is part of what these games are based on. I dont play them with the expectation to die every 2 seconds, however I know its a possibility if I play crap.

Winning races is what most of racing games are based on. Just like A/A games, there's many ways that this might not happen, but to put car crashes and fall damage near the top really kills the fun a lot of the time. I would rather have better physics as a challenge in racing games than damage; they would play a much bigger role in the game. Just like I would rather have better level design and AI in A/A games, rather than fall damage with, most of the time, just becomes an annoyance.

And I feel you dont need to compromise on either. Granted I'd sacrifice a big car list for damage, but PC sims show you can have damage and good physics in one package. PC sims are generally only smaller than console sims like GT and Forza because they have much smaller budgets and spend more time focusing on accurate tracks and physics.
PC sims are an interesting beast; graphics aren't a huge priority like GT or Forza, and with the more powerful (but less optomised) system/s, they run far more cars on the track with much better AI and great physics. Damage is somewhat limited cosmetically compared to Forza, and to a greater extent, TOCA 3 (loved that game).

But, judging on the success (or lack thereof) of Race Pro for the crossbox, they simply couldn't play with the big boys on their home turf.

You seem to think that having damage somehow eliminates the possibility of weather or better track conditions. Forza doesn't have these features because thats how T10 decided to do it, it doesn't mean they sat down in a room and decided "we wont have night racing because we have damage". Just because you have damage doesn't say anything about other features. Everyone wants extra features... damage is one of the features I want, SUVs is one feature I couldn't give a damn about but I'm sure other people are over the moon about. Rally racing is a feature I couldn't give a damn about too.

Damage DOES limit the ability of game developers to introduce other features that are high quality. It's a performance thing; you couldn't simply add all those things I listed into Forza and hope it would maintain any sort of framerate. Sure, rain would probably have the lease impact (yes you have more detail for the rain, but you can get away with less draw distance and lower LOD models a lot easier), but the other things don't come for free.

You simply have to allocate the machine's power, and you WILL have to make sacrifices, and to myself as a game design student damage at the level it is now isn't nearly good enough to justify it's processing power.

Yes, it will appeal to many game players, but there are (in my view) many other better ways to improve racing, add realism, and make games more run.

I'm not trying to alienate the player, but I like to justify inclusions based on gameplay merits; consumers have shown time and time again that they're more interested in playing follow the leader than they are in enjoying some thoroughly brilliant games.

There are other, better ways to encourage better driving with the following benefits:

Firstly, damaging a car effs you over for the rest of the race, not just the lap. This is a lasting penalty

Secondly, damage is VERY expensive; it takes a lot of processing power that I would rather use for better environments, rain, snow, livetrack, and with some still left over for better physics and AI.

Flag penalties (if they're done RIGHT) are a great alternative. Same with logical speed penalties (sand traps, better collision physics), and a million other ways.

You're playing the wrong game if this is what you're looking for. If you want ultra realistic game with proper damage, head over and play iRacing on the PC. With enough money, you can build a PC rig that would play it across 3 30" LCD monitors (7680x1600 resolution), a racing seat with motion and better steering wheel and pedal sets than anything that is compatible with any of the consoles.

Also this -> Secondly, damage is VERY expensive; it takes a lot of processing power that I would rather use for better environments, rain, snow, livetrack, and with some still left over for better physics and AI.

That is not an opinion I share. You have to draw the line somewhere. The argument that damage processing could be used for something else is not true. I'm almost willing to bet 99% that taking damage out of a game will not allow for improvement in any other area. I'm not sure where this idea of yours that damage is VERY expensive came from, but it's very unfounded. From a software design perspective, the actual damage calculation will only happen for a split second during the actual collision. The rest of the time, it doesn't happen, it's just displaying the car model with a deformation, no different than displaying the car model without. I'm pretty sure that T10 already realized during Forza 1 and just about every other developer for that matter that they can make use of all resources during a race without worrying too much about damage calculation.

The easiest proof of this is that if you have like 3 or more cars have a big crash in Forza 3 or even your own car only, you will see that the frame rate drops momentarily quite a bit, same happened in Forza 2 and Forza 1. This proves that the game is already using all the performance for the "regular" calculation because the damage calculations lags the performance momentarily, so they're not really accounting for the performance drop while you're playing the game.

The final thing I want to end my post with is my point that you have to draw a line somewhere. You say you want more realistic physics, more detailed environments. Let's say you cut damage, what are you gonna cut next? 30fps or 60fps? Want better graphics, go with 30fps. 8 cars on track, 12, 16, or 6, maybe make it just one like Gran Turismo 4 did with the Costa di Arria, or 2 with the George V Paris tracks or ANY of the rally tracks.

You have to STEP back and realize how you're changing the overall game. From the sounds of it, if it were up to people like you, we'd still be playing Gran Turismo 1 with better graphics and more tracks and "supposedly" more realistic physics. Frankly, I've never considered Gran Turismo that realistic at all. Grand Prix 2 from like 1996 is more realistic than ANY of the Gran Turismos if you ask me, probably even more than Forza. If it's realism you want, you should stick to PC games. At least on PC games, it's up to you whether you want good performance. The developer just sticks everything in there usually. Look at any of the SimBin games. You can do like 30+ cars on track, you can make draw distance to maximum possible, you could use uber-awesome steering wheel sets, and with a powerful enough PC, do it at all at insane resolutions, anti-aliasing, and 100+ fps.

Damage DOES limit the ability of game developers to introduce other features that are high quality. It's a performance thing; you couldn't simply add all those things I listed into Forza and hope it would maintain any sort of framerate. Sure, rain would probably have the lease impact (yes you have more detail for the rain, but you can get away with less draw distance and lower LOD models a lot easier), but the other things don't come for free.

You simply have to allocate the machine's power, and you WILL have to make sacrifices, and to myself as a game design student damage at the level it is now isn't nearly good enough to justify it's processing power.

Yes, it will appeal to many game players, but there are (in my view) many other better ways to improve racing, add realism, and make games more run.

I'm not trying to alienate the player, but I like to justify inclusions based on gameplay merits; consumers have shown time and time again that they're more interested in playing follow the leader than they are in enjoying some thoroughly brilliant games.
Absolutely wrong and unfounded., any game software developer will say otherwise.

If you think rain will not cause too much detriment to game framerate, you're really not thinking about it at all. Like I said above in my post, it's EASY to prove that in Forza 3 (just like F2 and F1 before it), damage does not affect the framerate if you're playing the game. If you're crashing every 2 seconds, then it might affect the game performance severely. If you are doing that, then something is wrong.

You're the kind of person that is ruining the game industry. You want more available cars and more tracks, but less game features. It's the reason why I didn't buy Modern Warfare 2. Sure they have more weapons and more maps, but it's limited to 9 versus 9 online, it doesn't have lean anymore, it doesn't have moddable servers and ability to have 3rd party maps. Those extra features are what make a game good, and I'd rather have the "brilliant" game than a rehash of the SAME game, because quite simply, that's what you're asking. Heck, forget in-car dashboards, forget 60fps, forget 8 cars on track, forget damage, forget tuning cars, let's just do all stock cars, that takes less processing power, right?

A bit of a note to get back on thread, what this game is lacking is that extra quality of polish, and I'm willing to guess it's because Microsoft wanted to push the game out before GT5 came out. It is however NOT lacking in terms of features by any means. The main complaints over at the official Forza forum (and here too!) are about things that ARE doable in patches by the developer. The core of the game is great, the racing, the tuning, the graphics, the physics, etc. What is missing is the DELIVERY of the content and a few small bugs here and there. Think about the game we GTPers played like on Friday night and Saturday night in the private room. What are we missing?

#1 - public random people allowed to join our game
SOLUTION: have option in the private lobby to allow non-friends to join game, that shouldn't be hard for T10 to do considering Forza 1 and Forza 2 did this

#2 - only 8 people in a room at a time
SOLUTION: none I can really think of without majorly rewriting the core game. This is a limitation that impacts the graphics the most probably in terms of game mechanics. This one is not patcheable by any means. It is a limitation I can live with though.

#3 - tuning cars in the online lobby
SOLUTION: patcheable, this existed in Forza 2, and the tuning cars is possible in single player, why cant it be done online

#4 - adjustable driver seat
SOLUTION: easily patcheable, already can be done by multiscreen hack

#5 - more realistic fuel consumption
SOLUTION: increase fuel consumption by some equation according to weight and horsepower, shouldn't be too hard

#6 - functional dashboards for race cars
SOLUTION: use motec display from Koeniggsegg CCGT for the race cars, tweak as necessary if needed

Last edited:
As with many here, I think this anal "clean lap" enforcement is being way too narrowly and stringently applied. It destroys the whole concept of realism and enjoyment of the racing.

After reviewing my replay again I could not see where I ever had 4 wheels off the racing surface. Yet it disqualified my 3 fastest laps.

It needs to be loosened up at least when racing with other cars.

Edit: If I had my choice, yes I'd rather have GT4. At least your not penalized by the software if you slip off the track somewhere or engage a rumble strip. The only real blatancy with this in GT4 was the ability to wall ride, which in a real race will not fly.

Last edited:
You're playing the wrong game if this is what you're looking for. If you want ultra realistic game with proper damage, head over and play iRacing on the PC. With enough money, you can build a PC rig that would play it across 3 30" LCD monitors (7680x1600 resolution), a racing seat with motion and better steering wheel and pedal sets than anything that is compatible with any of the consoles.

Or I could go out and buy the A1 GP sims running RFP from the A1GP place, but I'm not willing to spend over $9000 on something like that.

Also this -> Secondly, damage is VERY expensive; it takes a lot of processing power that I would rather use for better environments, rain, snow, livetrack, and with some still left over for better physics and AI.

That is not an opinion I share. You have to draw the line somewhere. The argument that damage processing could be used for something else is not true. I'm almost willing to bet 99% that taking damage out of a game will not allow for improvement in any other area. I'm not sure where this idea of yours that damage is VERY expensive came from, but it's very unfounded. From a software design perspective, the actual damage calculation will only happen for a split second during the actual collision. The rest of the time, it doesn't happen, it's just displaying the car model with a deformation, no different than displaying the car model without. I'm pretty sure that T10 already realized during Forza 1 and just about every other developer for that matter that they can make use of all resources during a race without worrying too much about damage calculation.

Things to have loaded and ready to go for damage in games:
scratch, tear and other paint and body textures, all alpha-enabled, all decent resolution, including mip-maps.
Body models for damage, including broken glass, several types of crumpled front bumpers, the detail that sits underneath all of these that is exposed when you start bending things, with their textures as well.
Mechanical damage failes; every stage of engine damage needs a new file, every gearbox needs new programming, every suspension component needs a new set of variables, etc.

There's some more things, but I'm trying to keep it somewhat short.

Point is, they add up, and for as many as 16 different cars on the track (in Grid or GT5) they may all be different. And it doesn't have the ability to go 'oh wait let me pause the game while I get these ready'. It has to happen instantly. They have to be ready to go right away.

'Your' calculations are only processing the change and results, not what's being changed to the results. Hence the momentary drop in FPS.

The easiest proof of this is that if you have like 3 or more cars have a big crash in Forza 3 or even your own car only, you will see that the frame rate drops momentarily quite a bit, same happened in Forza 2 and Forza 1. This proves that the game is already using all the performance for the "regular" calculation because the damage calculations lags the performance momentarily, so they're not really accounting for the performance drop while you're playing the game.

The easiest way to show this is to play a game with damage on and then damage off, check the loading times and framerate. Guess which ones are better?

The final thing I want to end my post with is my point that you have to draw a line somewhere. You say you want more realistic physics, more detailed environments. Let's say you cut damage, what are you gonna cut next? 30fps or 60fps? Want better graphics, go with 30fps. 8 cars on track, 12, 16, or 6, maybe make it just one like Gran Turismo 4 did with the Costa di Arria, or 2 with the George V Paris tracks or ANY of the rally tracks.

Yes, I want more realistic physics and more detailed environments.

For argument's sake, let's use what we know of GT5 as a basis for what can be done on the PS3.

60FPS? God no. It's a part of the visuals just as much as any level of modeling or texturing.
Cars on track? Well, I'd probably keep it to something like 10-12 cars. losing 4-6 cars means I can harvest the 'brains' of the now obsolete AI and make the other 9 or 11 better, and I can use the polygons that would have been used for the now obsolete cars in better, richer, more detailed environments. I would find a way to make their sacrifice, their price, work in my favor. Even then I don't know how I could get another couple of hundred polys onto GT5-quality tracks, but I'm sure the modelers will want to have my babies if they get that much of a boost (so much easier when you've got more polys to play with).

You have to STEP back and realize how you're changing the overall game. From the sounds of it, if it were up to people like you, we'd still be playing Gran Turismo 1 with better graphics and more tracks and "supposedly" more realistic physics. Frankly, I've never considered Gran Turismo that realistic at all. Grand Prix 2 from like 1996 is more realistic than ANY of the Gran Turismos if you ask me, probably even more than Forza. If it's realism you want, you should stick to PC games. At least on PC games, it's up to you whether you want good performance. The developer just sticks everything in there usually. Look at any of the SimBin games. You can do like 30+ cars on track, you can make draw distance to maximum possible, you could use uber-awesome steering wheel sets, and with a powerful enough PC, do it at all at insane resolutions, anti-aliasing, and 100+ fps.

Don't get me wrong, I have enjoyed GTR2 on max with 107 cars on track, and I play GTR Evo maxed out sitting nicely over what my monitor can spit out, but to me that's just wasted processing.

I would rather make the most of a limited amount of processing than churn out something that wastes every second generated frame.
Absolutely wrong and unfounded., any game software developer will say otherwise.

If you think rain will not cause too much detriment to game framerate, you're really not thinking about it at all. Like I said above in my post, it's EASY to prove that in Forza 3 (just like F2 and F1 before it), damage does not affect the framerate if you're playing the game. If you're crashing every 2 seconds, then it might affect the game performance severely. If you are doing that, then something is wrong.

And it's easier to prove it's taking up power.

You're the kind of person that is ruining the game industry. You want more available cars and more tracks, but less game features. It's the reason why I didn't buy Modern Warfare 2. Sure they have more weapons and more maps, but it's limited to 9 versus 9 online, it doesn't have lean anymore, it doesn't have moddable servers and ability to have 3rd party maps. Those extra features are what make a game good, and I'd rather have the "brilliant" game than a rehash of the SAME game, because quite simply, that's what you're asking. Heck, forget in-car dashboards, forget 60fps, forget 8 cars on track, forget damage, forget tuning cars, let's just do all stock cars, that takes less processing power, right?

LOLWUT

Try reading before you make assumption as dumb as that, eh?

In-car views, working dashboards, more cars on track, better tuning and telemetry are all features that add greatly the the gameplay. I don't know where you got the idea that I wouldn't want any of those, but is a really stupid thing of you to say.

For the record, I hate what they did to MW2. I was a big fan of the 50-player online in COD4, and I loved 4 of the single player missions (the ship, death from above, the one where you go back with captain moustache and the mile high club. MW2 had nothing as good as those levels in it's despicably short single player. But you managed to go from complaining that I don't believe damage improves gameplay significantly to saying that I'm the kind of person who ruined a call of duty game?

I don't remember saying I want more cars and tracks. I want better cars and tracks.
I want more features that improve racing and the gameplay. Not damage.
I want the races to be great, not huge, and there is a MASSIVE difference between racing games and FPS games, though it appears you haven't grasped that in you attack on me.
I'm not a professional (yet), and as such I have a HUGE appreciation for mods, as they form most of my work so far. also appreciate a HUGE online community such as the ones for the simbim racing games; I frequent nogrip and I used to love racing with the custom online F3000 leagues in GTR Evo, something that needs the modding only a PC game can offer.

I don't know what caused you to say that utter, insulting rubbish, but I'd appreciate it if you took the time to read before you blame mainstream dulled down games on me.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where this idea of yours that damage is VERY expensive came from, but it's very unfounded. From a software design perspective, the actual damage calculation will only happen for a split second during the actual collision.
Well, just to add a stick to this fire, I'll have to say that Forza 2 did suffer the hiccups when the driver car had a collision. Occasionally, the game would freeze for a split second, even with rather minor collisions, and that got to be pretty annoying. That was one thing I'm glad they fixed for F3. Even horrendous wrecks are seamless, as far as I can tell.

One thing I'm afraid can't be patched is the horrendous slowdown when a file has over 130 or so entries to sort through. Half my time in Forza - well, most of my time lately - is spent making race cars or taking pics of them, so this hits me quite severely. I'm not looking forward to the day I have 150 liveried cars in my garage...

Regardless of what you think, you have to realise to much of the racing sim community damage is a must. A penalty system of lost time with no damage for crashing would be a massive step backward in my mind and this is evidenced by the fact all racing sims I can think of except GT have damage and even GT will have damage when it comes out.

I also think you over estimate the required computing power to have damage. Basically all the things you mentioned are just consuming more memory, it wouldn't surprise me if they're stored on the hard drive or at most a vacant piece of RAM until its required at which time it replaces whatever textures and polygon models were being used previously (admittedly I dont know a lot about how the 360 hardware works, I'm more of a PC gamer). So basically, you're driving along with no damage, the files required for damage are sitting somewhere, when you crash they get used (drop in framerate) then once the crash is over the game is now using the damage files instead of the default files, so back to original performance.

But the power required for damage is pretty irrelevant in my mind... sim racing games need it and it'd be a step backward not to have it (at least in the opinion of many if not most sim racers). I still stand by my original statement of...

"I'd much rather damage "less than perfect" like done in Forza, GTR, Live for Speed, Need for Speed, etc, than having no damage at all."

and with regards to your views on damage...

"That's your opinion, and not shared by all, certainly not me."

Nothing else really needs to be said on the matter... you have your opinion, dont mistake your opinion as fact.

There's also a probably with the lighting on some of the tracks; some are too dark (up until the point where you're playing "Where's the corner?") or have suffer from overly-bright/saturated track textures (Sebring is a good example of the latter, and Sedona is a good example of the former). It's to the point where the AI doesn't even know where they're going (using Sedona as an example here), when the AI wall-rides to feel out the track...you know there's a problem somewhere.

There's no real problem with Sedona Raceway, the Speedway variant on the other hand is horribly dark around the penultimate banked corner.

Before I can comment, I need to wrap my head around what you are saying here. So you are saying some tracks have corners that are too dark (due to lack of sun?), or have too much glare in the textures (from the sun?). I just want to make sure we are on the same page.

Firstly, damaging a car effs you over for the rest of the race, not just the lap.

That is what happens in real races.

Gameplay is IN NOW WAY improved by damage; by it's very nature it makes gameplay less enjoyable, and for what, this?

I know that is just your opinion, but you personally believe that racing sims would be better off without simulated damage?

Before I can comment, I need to wrap my head around what you are saying here. So you are saying some tracks have corners that are too dark (due to lack of sun?), or have too much glare in the textures (from the sun?). I just want to make sure we are on the same page.

Yeah. That's pretty much what I'm saying.

I haven't noticed this (not saying it doesn't happen). I wonder if it varies by HDTV setup? I know you said AI actually reacts accordingly though (which obviously wouldn't have anything to do with TV settings).

Interesting. I just wonder if I have just missed it, or if I just have the track patterns down that I naturally brake or slow down without even thinking.

This is why I usually only race online in closed leagues on PC instead of consoles...most console racing in public is no better than a open server on PCs.

I race 99.99% of the time in private lobbies with friends/leagues on the 360. I will venture into public matches if we are not geared up and ready to play league (which is rare).

This is why I usually only race online in closed leagues on PC instead of consoles...most console racing in public is no better than a open server on PCs.
Forza 3 (as did Forza 2) has a very big community following and there is a large number of closed leagues. I used to run in 3 weekly leagues in Forza 2, and will probably sign up for a league sometime in January for Forza 3, so this is a moot point. The major downside with league racing on Forza is that you are limited to 8 cars on the track. This is something where the PC games are much better (many more people on a server at a time), whereas on console, it's peer-to-peer plus the game can't handle more than 8 cars on the track (graphically speaking).

I haven't noticed this (not saying it doesn't happen). I wonder if it varies by HDTV setup? I know you said AI actually reacts accordingly though (which obviously wouldn't have anything to do with TV settings).

Interesting. I just wonder if I have just missed it, or if I just have the track patterns down that I naturally brake or slow down without even thinking.

I'm going to be testing this tonight with my TV set up to the correct levels. I've never seen it or even heard of it.

There's also a probably with the lighting on some of the tracks; some are too dark (up until the point where you're playing "Where's the corner?") or have suffer from overly-bright/saturated track textures (Sebring is a good example of the latter, and Sedona is a good example of the former). It's to the point where the AI doesn't even know where they're going (using Sedona as an example here), when the AI wall-rides to feel out the track...you know there's a problem somewhere.
This is a bizzare problem, the AI does not rely on or require in any way the ingame lighting to see where it is going. The AI is programmed to know the layout of the track. There is one part of Sedona where I get blinded briefly by the sun coming upto a quick S bend before a hairpin and that's it. The AI isn't blinded by the lighting, I can assure you of that.

This is a bizzare problem, the AI does not rely on or require in any way the ingame lighting to see where it is going. The AI is programmed to know the layout of the track. There is one part of Sedona where I get blinded briefly by the sun coming upto a quick S bend before a hairpin and that's it. The AI isn't blinded by the lighting, I can assure you of that.

Which was the entire point of me saying that, it's nothing more than irony. I never meant to (if that's how it came off as) state that as being a fact, but the one thing I will state as a fact is the AI did wall-ride for 1 entire lap. I watched the replay and as you said, bizarre, it was apparent it was feeling around the track for braking points.

I know the AI isn't exactly genius-racer material, but that was odd as I've never seen the AI react (and seemingly learn from) an incident like that.

I'm going to be testing this tonight with my TV set up to the correct levels. I've never seen it or even heard of it.

If you go to Sedona, its one of the reverse versions. Not the full length course that uses the oval. At one point you come over a low crest and its kind of an S-curve section. When you start into that right, one of the rock formations is blocking the sun, then its no longer in the way and you're blinded. Its a little much for hotlapping, but I think its not really a problem. It also happens coming though the last right turn on Laguna Seca.

Which was the entire point of me saying that, it's nothing more than irony. I never meant to (if that's how it came off as) state that as being a fact, but the one thing I will state as a fact is the AI did wall-ride for 1 entire lap. I watched the replay and as you said, bizarre, it was apparent it was feeling around the track for braking points.

I know the AI isn't exactly genius-racer material, but that was odd as I've never seen the AI react (and seemingly learn from) an incident like that.
Ah no problem, my mistake. Regarding the AI wall riding for a whole lap, that just sounds like a glitch, like the AI in GT4 at Le Mans occasionally turning into the wall on the Mulsanne straght at Le Sarth and then just driving facing the wall for the rest of the race. The AI would still be turning the wheels and accelerating and breaking as if it was still alpping the track, but it would be doing it facing the barrier and thus not actually going anywhere. It's funny, until it happens to your b-spec driver :).

Which cars are you speaking of? Granted, I don't own every car yet, but since we have them all available to us to test drive and hotlap, I wouldn't mind seeing which ones are "out of shape".
I've not seen every car in the game either as I don't own it, lol. I know at least the F430, '69 Camaro and the Golf 1 is quite unaccurate...

EDIT: The materials and reflections mapping doesn't exactly make them look better either, as every car looks more or less plastic IMO.

9iDTXYA_9nQ.jpg

No thank you. Damage done right take far more power than what the current consoles spit out altogether, it's bad for gameplay, so it's not a worthy inclusion.

I'd rather have damage that's realistic part of the time and unrealistic at others than have no damage, which is unrealistic the entire time.

It really depends on how the unrealistic part impacts the game as a whole. Forza's damage is very unrealsitic, but it's generally unrealistic in the right way for a console, ie the cars arn't out the race after one notable knock. The rest like the cars not crumpling so far is down to licesing and is not simply a matter of money. The oddieites though (like that car in the picture) where the cars do very stange things have been few and far between in my experience of the game. I've enver stood a car on it's front or rear. Infact I've only actaully rolled twice, and both times I was tring to get on two wheels. I'm totally for damage and I have few compaints about Forza 3's overall, though beyond the odd bits of rubbing every now and then, I've not been involved in too many bigger incidents.

Personally, I'm level 49 in Forza and pretty close to Level 50. It's fun, but there's so many things wrong with Forza.

I posted my huge review:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=3644577&postcount=100

I mean honestly the game looks pretty poor at native resolution, the only 2 places the cars look good is at the main menu and the rendering before the race starts. This is where the game uses Mesh Streaming. Once you're in the game, it's like a cartoon. Even when browsing cars to buy they look like plastic models kits someone put together.

Have you guys seen this bias comparison video of Forza 3 against GT5 : Prologue?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQNqU6YW9zI

I had my brother take a look to give me the technical breakdown of the bias comments. The most important ones I'll comment on:

"60 FPS". GT5: Prologue replays run at 30fps, which is what we're watching, not 60FPS which is solid during gameplay.

"Motion Blur". The 'motion blur' mentioned for Forza is actually a low LOD (Level of Detail) texture streamed at long distances rather than awesome motion blur technology, while Gran Turismo uses a higher definition texture at all times compared to Forza. The car not blurring in GT is a case of depth of field not motion blur, where the car is kept is kept in focus and the foreground/background are out of focus. Depth of field is current gen technology unlike motion blur.

"Tire Marks!" or tyre marks. This is just decals, like bullet holes in Counter Strike, nothing special. I suspect GT5: Prologue doesn't have them because, they're looking at a better method of implementing tire marks on the road surfaces.

"Shadows and HDR on tracks". Actually if you want to compare lighting/shadow technology GT5:Prologue without a doubt uses better technology. Illuminate Labs is currently one of the leaders in Game Lighting technology with products such as Turtle and Beast. The global illumination technology used with turtle and beast, give products like GT5: Prologue, Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge and Killzone 2 realism beyond anything in Forza 3. The lighting in Forza 3, either uses low definition lightmaps or none at all and lack of high detail normal maps is disturbing, which you can see in their terribly lit rocks walls and flat grass.

"Grass" look at the GT5 side from 4:04 to 4:29. Then look at the flat "green" apparent grass in Forza.

:lol:

So Forza's tire marks aren't up to par now. They need to be fully modelled rubber layers and particles that flake away as other cars drive over them and there needs to be a noticeable .010mm difference when you drive over one. Shooting games need to stop having bullet holes as well until we have fully modelled holes getting ripped in buildings or whatever else a bullet may hit. That will require that the ballistics of the round get modelled correctly too, as a hollow point bullet is going to cause a much different effect than a FMJ round. So, if, say Infinity Ward is to adopt all of these perfections as PD tries to, we should be playing Modern Warfare 3 around 2015?

Some games do model ballistics quite well (which changes with different ammo type), Swat 3 & 4 is a good example, bullet holes are still decals though., GTA 4 does a pretty good job at making holes (in cars atleast) look like actual holes and not decals.

As for tyre marks, I only want tyre marks if they're done right, and by that I mean no dark lines everywhere but marks that vary with tyre slip/scrub, once again GTA 4 does a pretty good job with tyre marks but some games (I'm not sure on Forza so I can't comment) just lay dark lines everywhere just for taking corners fast, I can't stand that.

implying that IW and Activision would do anything that means the game has to be in development (a.k.a. not on sale for Activision's now famous prices) one MINUTE longer than is has to be, in the name of actual quality, no less
HA!
Jay
Some games do model ballistics quite well (which changes with different ammo type), Swat 3 & 4 is a good example, bullet holes are still decals though., GTA 4 does a pretty good job at making holes (in cars atleast) look like actual holes and not decals.

As for tyre marks, I only want tyre marks if they're done right, and by that I mean no dark lines everywhere but marks that vary with tyre slip/scrub, once again GTA 4 does a pretty good job with tyre marks but some games (I'm not sure on Forza so I can't comment) just lay dark lines everywhere just for taking corners fast, I can't stand that.

The bullet holes in GTA IV kick arse because they're more than just one low-res texture. They're a good resolution (still tiny, but good for a bullet-hole), and I'm fairly sure some (if not all) have a normal map as well so it gives you a nice illusion of depth where the bullet bent the metal in a bit, as opposed to a hole that lights up in the sun just like the rest of the metal around it.

Back