Flickr links

• Thread starter torque99
  • 47 comments
England
England
Hi Jordan,

As discussed earlier, a few months ago I thought some random broken links were to do with me messing with privacy settings or something on flickr, so I have not touched any thing that end on flickr. Checking my threads the last few weeks I am getting lots of broken previews only showing a red cross but still taking you to the original. It seems quite random say I post 8-10 photos only 2-4 may be broken and all are posted the same time and way.

For the time being I think it safer to just use GTP Upload (but quality is not there and seems blurry). Any thoughts on why only certain random links are not working.

It's quite disappointing as it takes a while copying the codes to only come back and see them all as red crosses. :yuck: 👍

(edit: As a side note, some of the same links/photos I put on the Official Forza Forums and they still work and show photos fine. So I think it must be GTP end somewhere ? )

Cheers

torque99

Do you have any links to some of your posts with the broken images, or can you post some broken images here?

Thanks @ImaRobot No red crosses show on this page? :) Well I'm on GTP with Chrome browsers, I wonder if it is to do with this as I have Chrome on my android phone and tablet and they also show red crosses.

On Forza and other forums all works well on Chrome though? 👍

Thanks @ImaRobot No red crosses show on this page? :) Well I'm on GTP with Chrome browsers, I wonder if it is to do with this as I have Chrome on my android phone and tablet and they also show red crosses.

On Forza and other forums all works well on Chrome though? 👍
I'm also running chrome, but from my Desktop. I just tried it using my iPhone 8 and couldn't see any red crosses on that either. Maybe it's just your connection to certain websites, maybe due to the differing server locations? Just throwing wild guess out there, to be honest :lol:

Oh well at least some people can see them :D

(Did you look at the top of the page- it is the first 2 that are red crosses etc) post #241/242/244 etc

I tried swapping a few BB links on other threads (re pixel size i.e 800px or 1024px etc) and they then showed on my Desktop PC..Very strange...

Last edited:
Hi Jordan

For example this page shows plenty of red crosses but still links to the photos. :cheers:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...de-scapes-gallery.361279/page-9#post-12404615
Yeah, I don't see any broken images on that page, they all load fine (nice photos, by the way!).

Our image proxy system was broken for about 30 minutes early this morning immediately after the server move. Perhaps the broken image got cached by your edge server (our page content is cached and served locally from over 150 data centers around the world). This would explain why swapping the image out for another size — forcing the cache to reload — fixed the problem.

This should resolve itself over time, but let me know if it continues to be an issue with the content you post in the future.

Just wanted to say that i'm also getting the red x no matter which link i use or even if i use the gtp upload image. :(
You get the red X's everywhere?

Can you upload a file to the thread here to see what happens?

All fine for me. Try Ctrl+F5 on that page, maybe broken files in your cache?

Thanks @TenEightyOne I thought the same so I have tried refreshing, advanced clearing history, caches, settings and cookies. As Jordan thinks , it looks like it is server (external based) somewhere, as I am getting this on all devices I try. I just tried loading up IExplorer to test it and it also shows red crosses on this page.

@MeanElf @imported_rik19 (being in the UK could you test this page and see if you see any red crosses) :cheers:

I have 2 red crosses (First 2 pics) on the first post, Ford GT showing (3rd pic) and then another red cross (1st post #241).
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...de-scapes-gallery.361279/page-9#post-12361708

Thanks @TenEightyOne I thought the same so I have tried refreshing, advanced clearing history, caches, settings and cookies. As Jordan thinks , it looks like it is server (external based) somewhere, as I am getting this on all devices I try. I just tried loading up IExplorer to test it and it also shows red crosses on this page.

@MeanElf @imported_rik19 (being in the UK could you test this page and see if you see any red crosses) :cheers:

Ah, okay. For information I'm in the UK on Chrome/W10.

What happens if you make a local HTML page and mount one of those 'missing' pictures in an IMG tag?

Yes there are lots of red crosses on that page mr @torque99

redcrosses.jpg

I'm not sure if it helps but I get a few non-displaying images on the linked pages on my work desktop

This is what I'm seeing Mr @torque99

1st post 2x broken 1x good 1x broken
2nd post 2x boken 1x good 2x broken 3x good
3rd no pics
4th post 1x boken 2x good 2x broken
5th post 4x good 1x broken 1x good 2x broken
6th post (last) all good.

Cheers guys looks like it could be a Flickr issue then. I just uploaded 100s to new email the other month so i am not sure I want to go through all that again :ill:swapping all my 100's 0 (ish) to imgur or another host.

Thanks for all the help ^^^ Appreciated :cheers:

I proxied my connection to the UK and sure enough, the image links were broken in the London cache (FYI, you can check to see which GTP edge cache you're accessing here — look for the airport code in the 'colo=' field).

I just flushed all the cache servers worldwide and it appears to be fixed now; please give it a check.

Hi Jordan, I thought it was nearly fixed! 👍 Apologies, so I thought I would let you know, there seems to be a problem on quite a few of my other threads still with red crosses (I just chose 2 random threads to check so there could be many more bad links etc).

I tested the link above and it says my cache is colo=LHR. (London Heathrow)

The Crew2 below (This was just edited today so should have worked etc after being flushed) but has 6 red crosses.

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/torque99s-photo-gallery-the-crew®-2.379475/#post-12404612

These Onrush ones were a few random ones from the past few weeks with plenty of red crosses showing etc
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/onrush™-photo-mode-thread.378206/page-6#post-12381019
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/onrush™-photo-mode-thread.378206/page-6#post-12381020
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/onrush™-photo-mode-thread.378206/page-6#post-12389000
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/onrush™-photo-mode-thread.378206/page-6#post-12400033

Is there anything my end I could do, or is it all server based linked to flickr? :cheers:

All of those pages looked OK to me, but they were again broken when I accessed the LHR datacenter. I just flushed the global cache and it appears to have fixed it again.

While I understand how the broken images could have been cached the first time (the image proxy system was down for 30 minutes), I cannot explain how it happened the second time. There may be problems with our content delivery network's LHR cache, Flickr could be imposing some kind of throttling or rate limiting, or they may be suffering intermittent network connectivity issues themselves. Because these are embedded images from a third party, there is just a lot of infrastructure involved which I don't control and cannot troubleshoot.

Let me know when it happens again, but I must concede there is little else that I can do to determine what is happening.

Thanks Jordan appreciated. The only thing I can think of is Flickr/smugmug merger re Yahoo maybe something their end. Hopefully it gets sorted automatically. But if I come across pages with red crosses I will keep an eye on them. Only other alternative is i swap hosting site or try another. (we shall see) cheers :cheers:

I've been getting a lot of Red X's in one of my threads. Just swapped the original Imgur links for Flickr (thinking Imgur was at fault) and still getting the same thing with only half the images loading.

What's even weirder is if I go to edit the post, all the images load in the edit pane.

Here's the post I've just swapped to Flickr from Imgur: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...8-entry-pic-heavy.368836/page-2#post-12323871

Tried refreshing the page and clearing Safari's cache. But I also get the same missing images if I view the thread on my iPhone.

@TenEightyOne Looks like imgur changed (and broke) their embed code. Should be fixed now.

@BLiTZ The broken images should be fixed now.
Still seeing broken images I'm afraid. I'll have a look on a work PC tomorrow and see if it's any better.

EDIT: Pictures all loaded on a work PC, though were still broken on my phone connected to the same network. Cleared cache for both GTP and Imgur and pictures appear to have been restored. I haven't tried my laptop at home but I'm now expecting it to work.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Back