Do you believe in God?

• Thread starter Patrik
  • 24,085 comments

Do you believe in god?

• Of course, without him nothing would exist!

Votes: 616 30.5%
  • Maybe.

Votes: 368 18.2%
  • No way!

Votes: 1,035 51.3%

• Total voters

Looks like the article attributes longevity to stress reduction. Which kinda makes sense given that Atheism is a bad word, and atheists are surrounded with people think they are delusional. You have to try to see it from my perspective. I drive past churches every sunday with cars parked on the lawn because their parking lots are not big enough for all of the worshippers. To me, these people are sharing a very special kinda of crazy that comes with dehumanizing (it's in the bible) people like myself. I'm driving past parking lots filled with people that (if not all of them, at least a lot of them) think I should be tortured for eternity because I'm not one of them.

So if I don't live as long, maybe it's because of religion.

Can you expand on that (I'm guessing it's to do with Mormons)?

It does, one of the reasons is what @Scaff pointed out (and he had his spelling correct the first time).

The other is with polygamists. Essentially they live in huge communes and since it's illegal for the man to have more than one wife, they're only married in the eyes of the church, not the law. This means a woman ends up having multiple children and is legally a single mother. This means she can take advantage of government programs and get almost everything covered. And since she doesn't work outside the home, she technically has zero income too. Basically, the government foots the bill for all their living expenses and healthcare which comes out of my pocket.

We also have laws that only exist because of the Mormon church and when they're violated, people get a hefty fine for doing nothing wrong (like bringing back a case of beer from Wyoming).

Looking at it from the point of view of a lifelong atheist I understand how religion can be good for people's mental wellbeing if it stops them despairing about, say, what happens to them after they die.

I'm even prepared to concede that organised religion contributes towards social cohesion in that the proportion of wealth distribution it encourages which isn't going into cathedral repair and/or televangelists' bank accounts would, in a religion-free world, have to be handled by the state and the rest of the voluntary sector.

The counterargument is of course that all these good works in the name of [insert deity here] are in fact entirely due to the efforts of human beings down here on earth. I haven't really got an answer to that one.

I agree with this to an extent and even took a course in college as part of my anthropology program looking at it. However, the conclusion I drew is that more often than not, religion is detrimental to a society in the long run.

A belief in a higher power and an afterlife isn't though since that's what's assumed that really gives people hope.

And while I don't believe in an afterlife, I do believe there is a higher power. I'm not sure it really gives me hope or not though.

Hmmm...

https://neurosciencenews.com/longevity-religion-9340/

Neuroscience News
The findings showed that a key personality element related to longevity in each city was the importance placed on conformity to community values and norms.

In highly religious cities where conformity was important, religious people tended to live longer than non-religious people.

The researchers found that part of the reason for the boost in longevity came from the fact that many religiously affiliated people also volunteered and belonged to social organizations, which previous research has linked to living longer. NeuroscienceNews.com image is adapted from the Ohio State University news release.

But in some cities there is a spillover effect.

“The positive health effects of religion spill over to the non-religious in some specific situations,” Wallace said. “The spillover effect only occurs in highly religious cities that aren’t too concerned about everyone conforming to the same norms. In those areas, non-religious people tend to live as long as do religious people.”

Wut!

Now that's beyond cruel.

OK I've just googled Zion Curtains, what the actual........

You gotta think of the children!

But thankfully, the Zion Curtain is no longer required, although most places I've been to still have them.

You gotta think of the children!

But thankfully, the Zion Curtain is no longer required, although most places I've been to still have them.
I did see that they are changing the rules, but its still bonkers, that and how hard it is to buy anything above 4 percent (which until recently would be a soft drink in Russia). They still have a 1am cut off as well I believe!

The curtain is going nowhere. They want to wait another year to do more "research." Maybe someone can point them to one of the many, many papers that show trying to hide things from children only makes them want to do it more.

Last edited:
Would have been nice if the "author" at least mentioned Isaac Asimov, from whom he plagiarized the story.

Um, they did. Start of the fifth slide/start of the second story. Right beside the artists own name.

It's not plagiarism if you cite your sources.

Um, they did. Start of the fifth slide/start of the second story. Right beside the artists own name.

It's not plagiarism if you cite your sources.

Ah okay. i had to scroll through the whole thing to find it; I'd previously done a simple text search for "Asimov" which showed up only in the comments.

I'm not sure that just mentioning Asimov and his title for the work buried in the middle with no indication of why it's there counts as a proper citation though.

Ah okay. i had to scroll through the whole thing to find it; I'd previously done a simple text search for "Asimov" which showed up only in the comments.

I'm not sure that just mentioning Asimov and his title for the work buried in the middle with no indication of why it's there counts as a proper citation though.

Think of it as a comic book, because that's largely what it's drawn as. The "title" page is rarely the first or last page in such media. Asimov's name is found next to the artist's and the title of the story (in Korean, which is what the comic was originally drawn in), which come after the "introduction" portion of the story as is common. With the title and artists's names is the correct place for an attribution to Asimov. If you're familiar with the format, it's where you'd expect it. If you're not, then you learned something today.

I'm not sure why you'd think that a text search would pick up anything in an image. That's why it's called a text search; it searches text. Not images. Search for any of the first words in the first image and see if they get picked up. No? That's why your "search" didn't find "Asimov".

Have you had a few drinkies or what? Just say you were wrong, man. It's OK.

I just see an immensely long black rectangle?

EDIT: Weird - I see it in quote boxes but not in the original post.

Something for @Jordan to look at?
I dont see anything at all, not in Imari's post or the quote thereof. I initially thought that was the point given the "Scroll through all the images for the answers to life, the universe and everything." Seemed to make sense that nothing would be the answers...

I'm beginning to contemplate the idea that homo sapiens did not originate, but inherited the notion of gods, the afterlife and the soul's journey to the heavens from an earlier, Paleolithic civilization we call the Denisovans.

I'm beginning to contemplate the idea that homo sapiens did not originate, but inherited the notion of gods, the afterlife and the soul's journey to the heavens from an earlier, Paleolithic civilization we call the Denisovans.

Everything we see suggests that worship of sun, moon, land and water has been a fixture of 'religion' as far back as we can trace... so quite likely. That's not to say all such notions were 'inherited' from a single source, the quest for answers to observations that we cannot explain seems to have led to similar thoughts arriving completely independently across the globe.

That's not to say all such notions were 'inherited' from a single source, the quest for answers to observations that we cannot explain seems to have led to similar thoughts arriving completely independently across the globe.
That independent arrival at certain things is one of the aspects of humanity--humanity in antiquity especially, given the difficulty associated with the spreading of information--that I find most fascinating. Even more fascinating is the arrival to processes, such as metal forging. It's just another aspect of the complexity of life on Earth.

If I'm honest, it's a big part of why I haven't completely resigned to the non-existence of a higher power. Of course that isn't to say I believe in God as it were; I'm aware that I just don't know and therefor have no cause to cling blindly to the notion of a higher power.

image1-1.jpg

I think homo sapiens is not well suited to believe in god or have religions. I think the species that bequeathed (cursed?) us with their beliefs were, at the time, larger, stronger, more adept at math, music and astronomy than us, but also afflicted with what we would call autism, a defective state of consciousness.

I think homo sapiens is not well suited to believe in god or have religions. I think the species that bequeathed (cursed?) us with their beliefs were, at the time, larger, stronger, more adept at math, music and astronomy than us, but also afflicted with what we would call autism, a defective state of consciousness.

First why is the homo sapuen not wel suited to be religious?
Second what creatures were stronger, better at math, music and astronomy and how are these properties related to religion?

I find this hard to believe as people who generally are good at science believe in a god to a lesser degree.

First why is the homo sapuen not wel suited to be religious?
Second what creatures were stronger, better at math, music and astronomy and how are these properties related to religion?

I find this hard to believe as people who generally are good at science believe in a god to a lesser degree.
1) I think us humans would rather fight, get drunk, gamble and generally **** off rather than piously sit in church and mumble prayers.
2) There are indications 7 foot tall Denisovans developed math, music and astronomy before homo sapiens. But they had a different sort of (autistic) consciousness than we. It proved to be self-destructive. They had visions which persuaded them they needed to follow the path of souls to the stars. Our visions lead us to beer, guns, cars, sex and air-conditioning. Math, music and engineering are reduced to social ends, not spiritual. We have no gods above us. We are the zenith, the most perfect beings of the universe, building heaven on Earth. You can glimpse it at the Etihad and Trump Towers. :lol:

1) I think us humans would rather fight, get drunk, gamble and generally **** off rather than piously sit in church and mumble prayers.
2) There are indications 7 foot tall Denisovans developed math, music and astronomy before homo sapiens. But they had a different sort of (autistic) consciousness than we. It proved to be self-destructive. They had visions which persuaded them they needed to follow the path of souls to the stars. Our visions lead us to beer, guns, cars, sex and air-conditioning. Math, music and engineering are reduced to social ends, not spiritual. We have no gods above us. We are the zenith, the most perfect beings of the universe, building heaven on Earth. You can glimpse it at the Etihad and Trump Towers. :lol:

Abstract concepts (memes), just like matter, bounce off of each other and destroy each other. Over time, stable ideas that replicate themselves throughout the medium of memes emerge and solidify as being "robust". Time always favors stable forms over unstable forms, it's somewhat inherent. Complex brains provided the first medium for memes to begin to replicate.

Religion is a particularly stable self-replicating set of memes that insulate themselves well against breaking down in favor of other ideas. That is why religion exists. Not because humans are predisposed to be religious biologically, but because the meme itself is better at self-replicating (admittedly, within the human brain) and is more robust in the face of other memes. The religion meme is also well suited to continue to thrive in the predominant presence of itself (ie: it does well when there are copies of itself all around).

This is the same method of development through time as everything else (such as inorganic matter and biology).

Last edited:

But you're comparing a species from thousands of years ago with thu human in todays envirnment. Why wouldn't the hypotetical Denisovans of today be interestee in simimar thing.

On the human intrests, well true but you don't have to search for answers to be religious. I can't even understand how one seeking answers looks at religion and is like 'wow answers' I'd more be like 'why should I believe that?' Religion is the answer for people that don't really want an answer.

Also the human mind.has this brilliant part that helped us survive but is also very vunerable to religious idea's. We like to link things even if they aren't. 'That wasn't the wind it was a predator.' Or 'It rained because we made a sacrefice to the raingod.'

Edit: where do I find that they had a different mind?
Quick search shows the to be a subspecies of the hominem. Nothing culturally though.

Last edited:
There are indications 7 foot tall Denisovans developed math, music and astronomy before homo sapiens. But they had a different sort of (autistic) consciousness than we. It proved to be self-destructive. They had visions which persuaded them they needed to follow the path of souls to the stars.

What indications of this are there?

Back