Flight Simulator

• Thread starter PzR Slim
  • 956 comments
So as I’m sure you guys are finding out, it’s not perfect and has a few interesting foibles, bridges are not great if we’re being honest ( but loads of free mods to correct a lot of them ) some landmarks are of dubious qualities say the least, but how are you finding it overall? judging from the posts you all seem to be enjoying it.
I myself am loving every minute of it so far.. 300 plus hours for me and its been keeping me away from my PS4 for months now, I fly mainly in VR nowadays and I never fail to be gobsmacked, the 3rd party jets are fantastic fun:tup:

So as I’m sure you guys are finding out, it’s not perfect and has a few interesting foibles, bridges are not great if we’re being honest ( but loads of free mods to correct a lot of them ) some landmarks are of dubious qualities say the least, but how are you finding it overall? judging from the posts you all seem to be enjoying it.
I myself am loving every minute of it so far.. 300 plus hours for me and its been keeping me away from my PS4 for months now, I fly mainly in VR nowadays and I never fail to be gobsmacked, the 3rd party jets are fantastic fun:tup:
I loving it so far, enough to have a Logitech stick on its way to me, it’s also likely I will be heading to VR as soon as a bonus allows it.

Given the scale of ambition in mapping the world and the community filling in the bits that need it I’m more than accepting of the issues.

The mod side of things is bloody expensive coming from the world of racing sim modding.

Last edited:
Yes they’re certainly an eye opener for me as I’ve never used a PC before this one and was unaware of the whole modding scene but there’s also a ton of free ones that I’m loving adding to my planes, the RAF Valley scenery mod is fantastic and as I do most of my flights from there it’s remarkable that it’s free, I’m also debating which joystick to go for and so far I’m leaning towards the Airbus Thrustmaster which has really good reviews for MSFS and I like the idea of a separate throttle system 👍

Yes they’re certainly an eye opener for me as I’ve never used a PC before this one and was unaware of the whole modding scene but there’s also a ton of free ones that I’m loving adding to my planes, the RAF Valley scenery mod is fantastic and as I do most of my flights from there it’s remarkable that it’s free, I’m also debating which joystick to go for and so far I’m leaning towards the Airbus Thrustmaster which has really good reviews for MSFS and I like the idea of a separate throttle system 👍
Find a joystick in stock may be the hardest part, I went with the Logitech 3D pro, but had to order that directly from them in Belgium.

Feel free to share any links to good free mods as well.

Not sure how to link it from this site on my iPad but this free mod is stunning, totally transforms relatively empty seas and rivers into ones teeming with all kinds of shipping, really adds to the immersion
FF3D9DC5-9A7E-4740-8CEE-6F50F10B220D.png

I assume some of these mods are free and some are paid for?? Are they basically user-created content?

If any of you guys ever partake in multiplayer, who knows, we could meet up for a group flight or something.. I’ll take you on a tour to the Mach Loop :lol: my username on MSFS is unsurprisingly NEILPEARLJAM ( I think, that’s what I see on the welcome screen )

London at Night

Night doesn't like my current graphics config, going to need to dial things back a bit :grumpy:

Hi everyone. I've had my eye on Microsoft Flight Simulator for a little while, and now I'm thinking of getting it on Steam. However, I'm led to believe that running the installer counts as playtime, which would take me over the threshold for Steam refunds. Therefore, I want to make absolutely sure that MFS is for me before I commit.

Question 1: My laptop meets the minimum specs for MFS, while the video card, RAM and OS are at the recommended specs, according to System Requirements Lab. While I believe that this would be sufficient to run MFS quite well, I would like a second opinion if at all possible. My specs are as follows:

Video Card: GeForce RTX 2060
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3750H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
RAM: 16 GB
Hard Drive Space: 195 GB

Question 2: I do not have a flight joystick. Will a DualShock 4 work with MFS, and how is the flying experience with a joypad?

Question 3: How accessible is the game to a flight-sim beginner/casual? How easy is it to get in and fly, and how much practice would it take to become proficient in flying a typical aircraft?

Question 4: Is it possible to fast-forward during flights, or will I have to complete all flights in real-time?

I'll answer the points I have experience of.
Question 3: How accessible is the game to a flight-sim beginner/casual? How easy is it to get in and fly, and how much practice would it take to become proficient in flying a typical aircraft?
It is as "easy" as you want to make it. You can have your co-pilot take care of practically everything, but you can dial sections back so you have control over the bits you want to control. I am by no means an expert, but I can take off, fly around and land without any real difficulty. ATC and all the specifics about doing a cold start, for example, are left to my co-pilot, although I find myself having to manually do the ATC on landing sometimes.

Question 4: Is it possible to fast-forward during flights, or will I have to complete all flights in real-time?
You can chose to jump to certain points of the flight. For example, after take off, you can jump straight to the descent phase, or the final approach. I tend to do short hops in slow planes so I don't use that feature much.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I've had my eye on Microsoft Flight Simulator for a little while, and now I'm thinking of getting it on Steam. However, I'm led to believe that running the installer counts as playtime, which would take me over the threshold for Steam refunds. Therefore, I want to make absolutely sure that MFS is for me before I commit.

Question 1: My laptop meets the minimum specs for MFS, while the video card, RAM and OS are at the recommended specs, according to System Requirements Lab. While I believe that this would be sufficient to run MFS quite well, I would like a second opinion if at all possible. My specs are as follows:

Video Card: GeForce RTX 2060
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3750H with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx
RAM: 16 GB
Hard Drive Space: 195 GB

Question 2: I do not have a flight joystick. Will a DualShock 4 work with MFS, and how is the flying experience with a joypad?

it will run it quite comfortably but don’t expect to have all your settings set to high or ultra but it will be enjoyable enough I’m sure, one thing to note, your storage is extremely limited as the base install itself is now near 140 gb with all the new updates that’s been added so it doesn’t leave much wriggle room for you I’m afraid if you’re wanting to download mods and stuff ( which are excellent) I run mine off a SSD which helps load times immensely so if I were you I’d look to purchase a separate one...just my opinion obviously

it will run it quite comfortably but don’t expect to have all your settings set to high or ultra but it will be enjoyable enough I’m sure, one thing to note, your storage is extremely limited as the base install itself is now near 140 gb with all the new updates that’s been added so it doesn’t leave much wriggle room for you I’m afraid if you’re wanting to download mods and stuff ( which are excellent) I run mine off a SSD which helps load times immensely so if I were you I’d look to purchase a separate one...just my opinion obviously

Hmm... As it happens, I've just acquired a 1 TB portable SSD, so I suppose installing the game on that would get around the storage space problem.

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm not going to have this game... :indiff:

... but, like the Cities: Skylines thread, I'm enjoying the game vicariously through what you guys are posting.

Which begs the question, are you taking requests/suggestions of where to fly over? 💡

I've resigned myself to the fact that I'm not going to have this game... :indiff:

... but, like the Cities: Skylines thread, I'm enjoying the game vicariously through what you guys are posting.

Which begs the question, are you taking requests/suggestions of where to fly over? 💡
Want us to fly over your house?

Yep, fire away.

Want us to fly over your house?
Basically yes :lol: Would make a nice change from the police helicopter...
lookaround.gif

Though my old place in Irvine, CA (Stanford Court) and the nearby UC Irvine campus would be awesome too.

Yep, fire away.
I'd love to see Kyoto and the Gion district in particular... some amazing shrines in the hills around there.

👍

It’s a bit of tricky bugger to control at first but I actually managed to land it first time ( a few bounces ) but man it’s fun to fly, the modding community continue to amaze me each time :cheers: can’t wait to try this in VR later
CECC1B63-7358-404C-BFF3-9B0904236617.jpeg
9A286CED-55F4-4FD7-BD5F-CBF6A2874360.jpeg
C63D3B1E-BB24-4C6B-BB78-3748D253E3DD.jpeg

Latest Posts

Back