Flight Simulators - Add your own screenshots

Anybody try the new Microsoft Flight? It's a free base download but my laptop wont run it. :lol:
Only a week til I can get my tower set up to try it though.

I tried it for a few minutes and realised the DLC is quite pricey and nothing I want so didn't bother. I will give the free part of it another go sometime but I am really just waiting for them to open Flight up to the community (will take some time but hinted in a interview).

I bought the DLC for Flight and it's pretty fun. I really enjoy flying small aircraft so it's a pretty good game for me. It's by no means a full on simulator, but it's more of a simulation game, kinda reminds me of a Gran Turismo or Forza but with airplanes. I already have a couple hours on it and I'm still going with collecting the aerocaches and doing missions. I've come to really enjoy flying the Icon A5 too, trying to land it on the twisting rivers is always a fun challenge.

I would still like to get a new simulator though and I've been checking out X-Plane 10, it looks like it has a ton of aircrafts/spacecrafts and some pretty unique features. Building my own plane in game is pretty appealing to me as well. I was just wondering if anyone has played it and if they could give me some sort of input on it? It's $80 so it's a little pricey, but if it's worth it then I'll probably go for it. I was planning on dropping $80 on ME3, but I'm thinking I'd probably get more play out of a flight sim.

I really don't understand why there is so much hate towards Flight. It never claimed to be a simulator, MS Flight Simulator died with FSX and the code was sold to Lockheed Martin Prepar3D. If you want a MS Flight Simulator go give Lockheed $400 and you can have it.

Flight also made it very clear it was going to be a pay as you go sort of thing, so I don't see why people are complaining. If you don't want to pay for anything you can still fly a plane around Hawaii, which isn't bad for something that's entirely free, especially when you realize how awesome the graphics are. Is the add-on content a little on the pricey side. Sure, I don't think anyone is questioning that, but it looks like the whole game will be buy what you want.

For a true flight sim there is the newly release X-Plane 10 which I'm really considering buying.

I really don't understand why there is so much hate towards Flight. It never claimed to be a simulator, MS Flight Simulator died with FSX and the code was sold to Lockheed Martin Prepar3D. If you want a MS Flight Simulator go give Lockheed $400 and you can have it.

Besides the point FSX was the highest selling MS Flight Sim yet which took people by surprise why they decided to change it up now, it came down to how promising FS11 was looking initially (dev talk) and even early talk from developers assuring us that "Flight" will retain all the simulation from previous MS Flight simulators.

Along with the way MS have been treating 3rd party developers who they (MS) contacted to develop for flight and wouldn't agree to their strict terms.
MS is well within their rights to do as they wish with their franchise but it doesn't mean the dedicated flight simulator community has to like it.

As for Prepar3D, yeah it isn't a bad sim but hardly any 3rd party devs are going to it due to Lockheed Martin not intending make it a retail product, so it is rather limited for a lot of die hards.

My personal opinion on why flight has gone the way it has (even though FSX was a success) is the engine FSX was on is very very old and badly needed to be refreshed from scratch, this is something MS probably started and realised to make a game to FSX proportions with a all new engine it would take a huge team a very long time so for the mean time they decided to head into this route while they build it up (kind of the like GTHD Kaz originally intended to do). I believe eventually Flight will be built over the years until it reaches FSX level and if this business model doesn't work so well will release it in a full blown retail (store) product.

I have FSX, FC2, LOMAC, Falcon 4.0 AF, X-Plane 9, FS 98, F-22 Lightning II and III, and USNF 97. Only have lots of photos from FC2 and LOMAC though.

I plan on buying DCS: Mustang and DCS: [Unannounced US fixed wing fighter]

ScreenShot_016.jpg

ScreenShot_215.jpg

ScreenShot_312.jpg

ScreenShot_341.jpg

ScreenShot_370.jpg

ScreenShot_110-1.jpg

ScreenShot_062-1.jpg

Nice pics 👍

I don't play so many modern fighter sims but I did have a shot of a DCS A10 warthog title and it was impressive. Isn't there supposed to be a new Jane's joint strike figther game coming up?

I have FSX, FC2, LOMAC, Falcon 4.0 AF, X-Plane 9, FS 98, F-22 Lightning II and III, and USNF 97. Only have lots of photos from FC2 and LOMAC though.
I bought USNF '97 for £0.50 years ago but couldn't get it to run without real MS DOS :(

Hi all, I just gave microsoft flight a try, however i found that with a keyboard the plane was quite difficult to control and I can't really fly the plane comfortably. Should i just get a flight stick instead? As I'm currently quite interested in flight sims along with racing sims.

Jay
Isn't there supposed to be a new Jane's joint strike figther game coming up?

There is, but sadly Jane's doesn't seem to be interested in Flight sims anymore. The game is less realistic than Ace Combat.

I bought USNF '97 for £0.50 years ago but couldn't get it to run without real MS DOS :(

Yeah, I can't really play it either. The last machine to reliably play it is long gone. It's a fabulous sim for its time though. I know it won't happen, but it would be pretty cool if they remade it for consoles with updated graphics. It would instantly be the most realistic console game, and with the mission editor and large number of planes I'm sure that even arcade pilots would learn to like it.

Hi all, I just gave microsoft flight a try, however i found that with a keyboard the plane was quite difficult to control and I can't really fly the plane comfortably. Should i just get a flight stick instead? As I'm currently quite interested in flight sims along with racing sims.

I remember trying to play FSX demo on a keyboard. The sluggishness of the controls made it impossible. Even if they were faster though, keys are not very precise, and having a dedicated flight stick makes the most important buttons/functions really easy to reach.

The two most recent I've used have been Saiteks. The first was the X-52, only $80, but it quickly broke down. I replaced it with a X-52 Pro. Much better quality (but around $150). It's still a little buggy from time to time however.

There is, but sadly Jane's doesn't seem to be interested in Flight sims anymore. The game is less realistic than Ace Combat.

Aww thats too bad, it seems to be the case with many of the old developers/publishers these days.

I remember trying to play FSX demo on a keyboard. The sluggishness of the controls made it impossible. Even if they were faster though, keys are not very precise, and having a dedicated flight stick makes the most important buttons/functions really easy to reach.

The two most recent I've used have been Saiteks. The first was the X-52, only $80, but it quickly broke down. I replaced it with a X-52 Pro. Much better quality (but around $150). It's still a little buggy from time to time however.

You need a stick to get the most out of a flight sim.
It's a whole new world with a good stick.

Yes, the controls are extremely sluggish.. However I'm just starting out and I'd like a cheaper option, currently am looking at logitech attack 3 and extreme 3d pro, should i just go with the attack 3 as there only seems to be subtle differences. Or any recommendation of good for value lower end flight sticks?

At $80 US, the X52 is pretty much a low end flight stick in my mind. Anything below that price that I've found is generally much less capable, I haven't really looked at them with the intent to buy. I do like Logitech though.

I suggest getting a stick with a twist function for rudder control, unless you can find a cheap set of rudder pedals to go with it. If you don't manage to get a stick that has its own throttle level, maybe look for one with a slider or wheel buttons to allow you to adjust thrust smoothly. A 4 or 8 way hat switch to change the direction that you're looking or to trim the plane is also good to have.

Oh, almost forgot, you can hook up PS3 and Xbox controllers to your computer if you have them lying around. It's a good step up from the keyboard that can hold you over until you decide on a stick.

So are there any decent combat simulators with modern jets available?

MS:FS doesn't do combat does it?

Falcon (think some of the screenshots with explosions in are from Falcon)

A lot of the jets available for Falcon have full cockpits, lots and lots of working switches/dials/screens, etc.

So are there any decent combat simulators with modern jets available?

MS:FS doesn't do combat does it?

The Digital Combat Simulator (DCS) series is king, with Falcon close behind. Eagle Dynamics (maker of DCS series) basically gets military contracts to make simulators for crew training and then converts the training simulator into a commercial flight sim. Released sims are for the Ka-50 and A-10 C. There is also an upcoming unannounced US fixed wing fighter in development as well as the recently announced P-51 Mustang which started as a developer only experiment.

Falcon is old, but the community has modded it to infinity. The mods were mostly released for the plain 4.0 version. I bought 4.0 Allied Force so I can't use them. Even AF is very good simulator though, especially in terms of mission planning and procedures. Falcon also has a dynamic campaign so replay value is extremely high and you don't need to invest hours in a mission editor to achieve it. Falcon BMS is the most advanced version of the game I think.

Lock On Series is a less realistic flight sim (the screenshots from above are from the expansion Flaming Cliffs 2.0) made by Eagle Dynamics. FC2 is a pretty good sim, the biggest thing it lacks vs Falcon and DCS is click able cockpit and full avionics modeling. A pay for upgrade, Flaming Cliffs 3, was announced, but no details are available.

REALLY IMPORTANT To play FC1, 2 [and probably 3] you need to have the original Lock On Modern Air Combat disc. Buying Lock On Platinum gives you everything in one package.

FC2 online:

EDIT

After consulting the AUP (how many times do the mods get to read that I wonder), I removed one of the links since the players were a little bit too eager to drop f-bombs. I forgot how often it was used in the video. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Yeah I did some digging on Falcon 4.0 and came across Free Falcon 5.0. Is it legit?

Yes, it's a mod. All of these mods are fan made though.

Free Falcon, Open Falcon, BMS, etc.

You basically buy Falcon 4.0 and then install fan made content on top of it (best to double check with someone who actually has done this though, since as I've said, I bought Falcon AF, the only developer made expansion, and it is not compatible with the fan mods).

This is my old real squadron when I was stationed at Eglin. Gorillas! I miss working there, some of the times of my life.

On a side note, just bought ORBX Australia. This should be fun. I'll get some shots up if you guys are interested.

I'll get some Australia pictures up today.

Still waiting :P

First two shots from FS9/FS2004, and the third one is from CFS3.

Interesting FS2004 aircraft, is that freeware?

Oh how I miss MS CFS

-----------------------

Anyway I decided to dust off the Virgin blue Boeing 737-800WL and take her on a flight across Alaska, fairly short hop of ~1:45 flight time

Anchorage, Alaska (PANC) to Barrow, Alaska (PABR), Barrow being the most northern city in the US.

The morning at PANC, Gate Bravo 6

6888514002_f913f98d8e_b.jpg

Leaving Anchorage (+4C, not bad)

7034607753_cd90ac6198_b.jpg

Some of the beauty of this Alaska

7034607845_501a20c09a_b.jpg

On decent, Barrow not too far, hope the Runway hasn't got a hole in it too :scared:

6888514326_d2229af270_b.jpg

Not far to go, almost more water than land...

7034608041_7abf97a40c_b.jpg

Procedure turn over the sea to final

6888514558_3db41e55f1_b.jpg

Ahh there it is

7034608239_c80a678cc5_b.jpg

Almost there, notice the mild crosswind has pushed me off centreline a little...

6888514732_fc9a86856f_b.jpg

There... safe and sound and cleaned up :D. -26C, all anti-ice is on

7034608519_3ccec66e2a_b.jpg

The most northern city in the US

6888515002_3e75c6ce19_b.jpg

This is my old real squadron when I was stationed at Eglin. Gorillas! I miss working there, some of the times of my life.

Their Eagle livery is great. It must have been great to see them flying up close.

Also, came here to point out that Eagle Dynamics has released DCS World for free

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=87437

This is basically a slightly toned down version of the best combat flight sim on the market for absolutely zero cost. You get to fly the Su-25T with a good physics model and create missions as you want. Just fly around or create a full scale war.

DCS Mustang (Beta is available for $40) and DCS MiG-21 have also been announced.

Don't know if flight simulations society gathered at GTPlanet has seen this Document called Man At War by HBO. If you didn't see it then you can search and find it on torrents. It's targeted to Polish viewer with polish subtitles muxed in. I've saw it sub are only when Russian/German/English Pilots speaks in their native language. But if you persistent enough you can find Eng sub for this movie somewhere.

English translation of some of the information.

Jacek Bławut in your new document has penetrated the international community of players, showing their passion, determination, and perhaps addiction. Il-2 Sturmovik is one of the most popular computer flight simulators. Players take the pilots flying machines during World War II real-time air battles take place. Heroes of the document comes from four countries: the United States, Polish, German and Russian. They talk about who they are, explain why sometimes an interest in World War II. For some of them are just a hobby, for others, of life, which is given more time, resigning from the union or to meet friends. Together with colleagues from the squadron held a virtual training, meet at the regularly held rallies and hate your enemies - pilots from other countries, or squadrons.

Produced by Jack Bławut and HBO Poland is also the full-length picture of the latest documentary film director. Jacek Bławut is an experienced documentary filmmaker, known among other things the award-winning films, such as Abnormal, Rat in the crown and the Warrior, and recognized operator (Ten Commandments, Day of the Freak) lecturer at several film schools in Poland and abroad, and a member of the European Film Academy. His films were shown, among others at festivals in San Sebastian, Toronto, Budapest and Mannheim.

For anyone interested, the DCS World free Su-25T now includes online, you basically have a free demo that is equivalent to the whole game, minus a clickable cockpit.

New modules have also been announced, F-14, F-15, Harrier, UH-1, Hawk, and a few others. P-51 is also out of Beta and is now a final release.

*These photos are from my old laptop with graphics on low and low res screen*

Screen_121010_213022.jpg

Screen_121010_213912.jpg

Back