Flipping on kerbs.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Grayfox
  • 81 comments
  • 8,323 views
Messages
12,398
Australia
Australia
Messages
I_Grayson_Fox_I
I was driving around bathurst trying to get a good pose for the photomode comp and I noticed how you may end up flipping.

I noticed when I lifted of the throttle and hit the start of the rumple strip the car bounced on 2 wheels even at a low speed of 70km/h.

And it mainly ended with me rolling into the sand run off area.

And this was on the final turn.

I will also try doing this on top of skyline and as well as on other tracks.
 
Hey Grayfox.
I did notice that the kerbs on the Nordschleife are much more unforgiving than in GT5 - I've had to adapt my line and stay off the kerbs. Even scuffing the side of them can cause the nose to dig in and the rear to swing round! (as it should do - well done PD:tup:)
But I also managed to roll my 15th Anniv Ford GT at Lowes Hairpin in Cote Azure in 1st gear by clipping the kerb!!! Come on!!

There's some great ramps inside the Willow Springs track if one wants to take some air!!!!
 
I haven't flipped yet but the kerbs are definitely something I avoid now due to making the car unstable and usually over steers in the wrong direction after hitting.
I come from Forza 4 background where you could run over them for quicker lap times without consequence - I presume GT is more accurate?
 
Also (slightly off-topic) has anyone noticed lack of brakes coming down the hill out of the tunnel in Cote Azure yet?
I've certainly had to change my braking point for the chicane!
If it's right, and not my imagination, then nice one PD:tup:
 
Also (slightly off-topic) has anyone noticed lack of brakes coming down the hill out of the tunnel in Cote Azure yet?
I've certainly had to change my braking point for the chicane!
If it's right, and not my imagination, then nice one PD:tup:
I did not notice any issues with braking there when I ran it.

On Topic:
So far I have rolled 2 cars. The first was on Trial Mountain where the slope sticks out from the right just before the finish line. I ran 2 wheels up onto the slope to try and get it on 2 wheels and rolled it.
Last night I rolled the Trans Am on Rt 246 by hitting a curb while turning.

And to the guy above speaking of FM you had to be very careful of the curbs in FM4 for 2 reasons.
1: in many places they would flag your lap as dirty if you ran up on the curb.
2: Your car would roll when you hit the curb in several places

Of course rolling depends on how you hit the curb, how high the curb is, how high your center of gravity and how stiff your suspension.

I have rolled several cars in FM 3 and 4 on the ring and more than I can count on Maple Valley
 
I've only rolled a car once so far and that is my Focus ST, in the dark at Willow Springs. That was scary. But generally, since I have always minded the kerbs, I do not tend to roll the car. I do sometimes get a tiny bit of air though!
 
Does adjusting suspension settings allow one to use more curb?

I like to use alot of curb like gutters in initial D
 
Does adjusting suspension settings allow one to use more curb?

I like to use alot of curb like gutters in initial D
And there was me pondering the suspension settings to promote most bounce...
 
The new roll physics are more realistic; it is now as easy to roll as in PC sims like Race 07, GTR2 etc

My lap times round the 'ring are definitely slower but I think that's a good thing :)
 
I did a Joie Chitwood Thrill Driver at the Hotel turn at Cote after hitting the curb. Up on two wheels for about 15-20 meters. I'm glad I wasn't wide open.

I was in the 15 AE GT40.
 
I've managed to roll cars twice not on purpose;

First one was an Evo 6 on R246, the right-hand corner with the barriers along the right side after the turn - was trying to get a better line (a la GT5) and popped it on two wheels... and over it went.

Second, and just two days ago - rolled the 15th Anniv Megane Sport Trophy on the Nurburgring GP layout - the left-hander after the first turn. If I can upload a replay of that one, I will. Ducked a bit inside (was trying to force the issue with the leading Arta Garariya), let off the accelerator, caught the lip of the curb there... and over it went.
 
the kerbs are killers in this game lol. In GT5 I was always all over the kerbs to maximize my speed but not in GT6.. I either spin out now or lose traction and therefore lose speed
 
Only rolled once and that was at Silverstone, the final slight bend onto the start/finish straight. Drove over the sausage kerb, and BAAMMM...everything started spinning & flipping. I didn't even realise at first I'd ran the kerb until I saw the replay.
 
There's some great ramps inside the Willow Springs track if one wants to take some air!!!!

Real Life, Insane 5.0 Mustang Jump & Crash @ Willow Springs (Big Willow T8)

 
Last edited:
Rolled a stock M4 just by attacking a kerb at the ring! I did hit it harder than usual, and was turning in harder since I carried to much speed in. It's an odd sensation in the DeltaWing too, since it pitches forward as it tries to roll over :) ... like rocking a tri-pod.
 
I allmost rolled a Mustang Boss in the first "S" corner of Ascari at 50/60 MH/h... lol I was on SH tires.
 
Ah, I see I'm not the only one who thinks it's much easier to get up on 2 wheels in GT6. Especially online!
I've been noticing this more & more.

It seems I'm likely to do a Joey Chitwood move every time I drive the vintage Lancer over a curb.

2013-12-31-makeshiftshufflet03.jpg



This 70s Lancer was certainly a pretty dodgy squirrelly handling car in GT5. I actually think it handles a bit nicer in GT6, but it's like ready to go up on 2 wheels so easily... and what's more, it seems to stay there longer.
I never remember staying tilted so long in an online race in GT5.

Is it just all cars? Is it just the online?
 
Hey Grayfox.
I did notice that the kerbs on the Nordschleife are much more unforgiving than in GT5 - I've had to adapt my line and stay off the kerbs. Even scuffing the side of them can cause the nose to dig in and the rear to swing round! (as it should do - well done PD:tup:)
But I also managed to roll my 15th Anniv Ford GT at Lowes Hairpin in Cote Azure in 1st gear by clipping the kerb!!! Come on!!

There's some great ramps inside the Willow Springs track if one wants to take some air!!!!
Yeah I was trying my Ferrari FXX hotlap on the ring and found out the hard way, lol. Pretty cool that you can actually roll a car now though, in GT5 it was painfully hard to get anything like a realistic tumble. On most wall inpacts it still feels really "classic gran turismo" like though. even with the new GT6 updates.
 
I accidentally flipped my Dino Ferrari at Madrid mini reverse. Stock suspension and Comfort Softs. Funny because it's not only the first and only time I've flipped a car in GT6, but also at the same exact turn I flipped my Suzuki Cappuccino in GT5. That was the only time I ever flipped a car in GT5 too. That kerb in turn #5 is unforgiving. It's like hitting a brick :lol:
 
Anyone remember that Le Mans flip that sent that LMP mercedes flying over the track for a good 20 feet in the air, and that guy was driving in a straight line (downforce be crazy yo). Well theres the lift off throttle excuse, when you ease off the throttle, weight transfers from rear to the front, so when you clip a curb and you eased off the throttle (usually you do because the curbs are for the corners) the weight moves to the front so you have a high chance of spinning or flipping. Sometimes its surprising, like driving a Miata on Mt. Panorama, no screeching or lack of grip, car suddenly rolls over as I hit the curb, thank goodness I was doing a simulator.
 
I do remember that flip. It was scary. The car seemed to have caught air underneath and it basically turned it into a wing flipping it backwards. I know GT6 doesn't do this, but sometimes you get a feeling that cars start bouncing for no reason and might just flip. But the physics are weird because once you lift you tires from the ground, gravity seems to diminish greatly.
 
Ah, I see I'm not the only one who thinks it's much easier to get up on 2 wheels in GT6. Especially online!

(PIC)

Is it just all cars? Is it just the online?

That picture says it all. 👍

Yes, a lot of flipping on kerbs, which is curbing the enthusiasm for riding the strips. Many cars I used online had this problem - esp at Nurb, but at a few others too.

Offline, it's only been a problem with compact cars that I've noticed.

Online also has various other handling problems that are not there offline. So far, from what I've experienced, it has to do with the ghostly penalty system.
 
I still have only flipped 2 cars if GT6 in over 600 races so far, had the Red Bull Jr near the tipping point once but did not roll over.

I have ran the Nurburgring pretty hard a few times now in a few different cars hitting several curbs along the way but have yet to roll anything there in GT6. I did roll a couple of cars there on GT5 and rolled several of them on Forza 3 and Forza 4
 
I took a picture of the Hudson jumping past the toyota terrace sign. At the right time and angle, the shadow looks like a person.

WillowSpringsInternationalRaceway_StreetsofWillowSprings_zps7c111b98.jpg
If you want to call that person Jimmy Neutron with three appendages, that'll work
 
I accidentally flipped my Dino Ferrari at Madrid mini reverse.
:sick: Madrid Mini Reverse :sick:
That track is awful in so many ways - like the pit lane guardrail that's smack in the middle of the most natural line to take toward it. :boggled:

I never flipped a car there.
But in gt5 I did flip a honda z act on forward Madrid Mini in a kei car seasonal on what I think is the same curb that sort of juts out at an odd angle.
 
The second kerb on the double right hander at Tokyo, just before the downhill esses that lead to the hairpin for the start/finish straight.
 
I've only flip the AMG VGT hitting the barrier in the 1st corner @High Speed Ring going over 350km/h.
I have yet to flip because of some curb though.
 
Back