Floats Gallery

Discussion in 'Art & Photography' started by boiltheocean, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boiltheocean

boiltheocean Premium

Camera - Fuji Finepix S5500
    -----------Sony Alpha 200 from Post 40 onwards.

After browsing through a many galleries on GTP I've become alot more interested in photography again. These three shot below are atleast a year old but all the others are from since I joined GTP.

.:Comments and Tips Welcome:.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  2. boiltheocean

boiltheocean Premium

I'd just like to make a quick shout out to everyone who posts Galleries in this section of the Forum, After looking through loads of pics You guys have got me intrested in Photography again. Thankyou All.

3. Syntax error

Syntax error Staff Emeritus

Glad you found inspiration on this site. Keep it up and post your work up for all of us to see. :tup:

4. Cano

Cano Premium

first one is pretty decent, next time try to push the depth of field so your background will look out of focus and will make your main subject (statue) pop.

5. boiltheocean

boiltheocean Premium

Thanks for the advice! I can kinda imagine it now and it would look better.

BTW does anyone have any advice on shooting(camera not GUN for all you haters) bicycles?

6. Syntax error

As they say in the Real Estate game, location, location, location. Pick a good backdrop. There usually isn't too much to a bike so you need a decent backdrop, be it full of interesting stuff or vice versa, devoid of anything.

Also look out for things such as, how you prop up the bike. Can it stand up by itself or does it require something to hold it up. If you need to hold it up, make sure that whatever is propping it up is either invisible or on the other hand you can enlist in a model to stand in the shot with the bike and hold it up for you... Better yet take the shot of the bike moving!

What are you using the shots for? Advertisement? Then make the bike is the main focus point. Art shot? Then close ups are cool as an example. Really there is no hard or fast rule but remember to shoot with a style dependant on what you will use the images for.

7. boiltheocean

boiltheocean Premium

Well I think my style and my taste would be a Moving Art shot, which knowing my luck is probably the most complex but I'll give it ago sometime and try get back with what I have.

8. boiltheocean

boiltheocean Premium

Update. Not had chance to go out and take any shots of bikes yet because of the weather but I've got a few of my UT Models McLaren F1 to show you. I don't think I will enter the model competition just yet though.

9. boiltheocean

boiltheocean Premium

Quick Question - Do you guys think I should get a Flickr account for posting images here. I know this site has a limit on the total number of attachments I can upload.

10. McLaren

McLaren Premium

You could always use ImageShack, but I'd suggest a Flickr account as well. :tup:

11. boiltheocean

boiltheocean Premium

Imageshack works great thanks.

I should really go down to the car dealer about 20mins bike ride away from my house. One of the UK distrobuters of the Gumpert Apollo. I see it all the time when going to my grandmas but I'm in a car then so I can't stop and take pics.

12. boiltheocean

boiltheocean Premium

Possible Model Car Competition Entry
    I'm thinking I could have entered with this shot but I didn't because of three reasons:
    1. Shot after closing date :dunce:
    2. Can't think of text to make it an advert
    3. Can't remove light reflection from windscreen, I removed some from the bonnet but the windscreen is above my ability.

Took me about 20 mins to set up the location, had to use a dark pillow to get the black background and 10 mins to shoot and edit.

[​IMG]
    Click for Big

Anyone is welcome to "Advertify" it or even have a go at removing the light reflection, just post up your edit back in this thread.

... Oh and on one final note, the funds for the Sony Alpha 300 are comming along. Can't wait to get that camera.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2009
  13. boiltheocean

boiltheocean Premium

Well it's been a while so I thought I'd give you this snap I took today with my K800i. My mate jumping over my bike at some fairly local dirt jumps. This is the exact kind of action shot I'm looking for it's just a shame it's not with my proper camera.
    I've not really done much editing on it at all, just changed the brightness, contrast and run one of my favourite photoshop actions. All the blur is completely original.

[​IMG]
    Best Viewed Full Size, you can see the blur better.

Comments always Welcome!

EDIT: Oh come on someone, the views have gone up but I never get any comments, even if you think something is lacking please tell me, it's the only way to improve.

DOUBLE EDIT: I've also just realised that my friends handlebars are non-existent somehow. I can see his brake and shifter unit but that all. I suppose thats the trade-off with a camera phone.​

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  14. Syntax error

I think it's actually a pretty cool "arty" kind of shot. I like it. Good colours, plenty of action blur, pretty damn good for a camera phone. The only thing I can say bothers me a little is the other bike on the ground, but that is just a small gripe.

15. boiltheocean

boiltheocean Premium

Thanks man. I took the pic with the post your bike thread in mind so thats why the bike is where it is. I could always go back another day and take one with it removed completely.

16. boiltheocean

boiltheocean Premium

Well everyone sorry to double post but I have good and bad news. Today I got my first true experience of a DSLR, Nikon D40x to be exact and I loved it. I was back down at the dirt jumps with two more mates and got some nice shots to show you all.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The bad news is that the Sony Alpha 300 has now gone up from £330 to £350.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  17. Syntax error

Great start. For a first time, they are pretty damn good. The last one is a little blurry, but I like the style overall of the three shots as a series.

18. boiltheocean

boiltheocean Premium

Thankyou again for your comments. Sadly the D40x action won't happen much more, it was my friends so it's back to the Fuji until I can buy the Sony.
    I was bricking myself for the last shot, see I was lying in the middle of the double which you can see in the second shot and I had no idea if any part of me or my friends camera was sticking out above take-off.:nervous:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2009
  19. Syntax error

I just realised that I had looked at your images in the wrong order :lol: What I really meant to say was that the first shot is a little blurry (the last one is good). Extra points for sacrificing safety for a good shot :tup:

20. boiltheocean

boiltheocean Premium

I see the first one I blurred in photoshop, the original isn't blurry so do you think I should turn it down a notch or remove it completely?

On the Best Note in this thread ever, maybe the whole entire forum.
    I've finally got enough money to buy the Sony Alpha 200. I cannot justify spending another £100 on the Alpha 300 when the only obvious benefit is the live view tilting screen system. Other than that I think they are pretty much the same camera. Hopefully I shall be ordering the Alpha 200 tommorow so watch this space!!!

EDIT : Just ordered it, now I need to wait for it to be delivered.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2009
  21. boiltheocean

boiltheocean Premium

I just have to share this one with you all

[​IMG]

My Favourite Capture of the day.
    Only took two attempts as well! :D

EDIT: I've now opened up a Flickr page in which you can see all my DSLR onwards stuff. See Sig for Link.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  22. boiltheocean

boiltheocean Premium

Well I'm back here again with another old image because my Alpha 200 still hasn't arrived.
    Mabye the one or two of you that have seen my GT4 gallery would know that I've had a recent interest in Tilt-Shift Photography, I said I didn't have any reasonable real-world images for me to practice on but after looking through age old photos I've found one.

[​IMG]

Fake Tilt-Shift of course, I don't think I'll ever have the money for a proper lens. Enjoy and I hope this one draws in a few more comments.

23. exigeracer

exigeracer

Tilt shift normally is used to accent and focus the main subject of the photo (literally, it will be the only thing in focus). However, you've got the wrong object selected to be in focal clarity. The foreground stone is of extreme insignificance to the landmark behind it.

24. boiltheocean

boiltheocean Premium

I see.. like this then?

[​IMG]

25. bergauk

bergauk

Oddly, I like it when the stone is out of focus. The grass looks nicer in focus.

26. Syntax error

Actually tilt shifts are not that expensive… sure a genuine canon ts is expensive (especially the L series one) but Lensbaby makes ts lenses which go for peanuts. I have thought about getting one a few times as it is so cheap but I really can’t see myself using it enough to be bothered.

27. boiltheocean

boiltheocean Premium

Wierd you should mention the lensbabies, I've been looking at them over the last few days and they do seem a reasonable option. I'll have to see what my funds are like and decide which I'd rather have, Fisheye or Lensbaby.

28. Wardy 944

Wardy 944 Premium

love tilt-shift me, can I post a couple of mine?

29. boiltheocean

boiltheocean Premium

Yeah go ahead.

30. Wardy 944

Wardy 944 Premium

A few from Le Mans

where I stayed
    [​IMG]

Le mans classics
    [​IMG]

The main race (taken from the big wheel)
    [​IMG]

You could probably start a tiltshift thread, it's a great way to kill an hour

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.