Flyin' Miata Super Cup | *Congrats to World Champion Aderrrm!*

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 4,456 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm, for the HD series I think we're gonna go for bone stock. Fixed suspension on sports softs possibly. But we might have to bite the bullet and allow full drive train mods since we can't enforce it.

I'm hoping we get a small upgrade for the FMSC cars so we can break some track records 👍

Funny you guys talk about upgrades for the FMSC cars. I took my season one car that was running the current specs (I used it for a test car) and re-installed the racing suspension and threw in a short-ratio trans for good measure, then went for some laps around Laguna. Consistently at least a half second faster. Could be a bit faster depending on suspension settings though. But we could go a couple ways with this:

Short Ratio trans + Racing suspension + ECU tune

or

Short ratio trans + ECU Tune + Sport Softs

or

ECU Tune, sport softs, racing suspension

The HDCS cars would then stay the same specs that we have now. 👍

Looks good 👍 when do signups start?

Soon actually, I might have them up by tomorrow night.

Looks like you got rid of the forums on the site?

Yeah, no reason to split us up with two forums. I didn't delete them though, they're just hidden so you can't access them from the main site.

Wardez
Also. Didn't get much feedback on the solution with putting people into either FMSC or HDCS. Wouldn't letting people qualify for either series two times before they're locked in work? It encourages people that think they've got what it takes to go for the big time but then choose to go to HDCS in order to have a tighter race opportunity if they qualified better there. It'd be especially good since we're running different tracks.

Well we have two pre-season races on the schedule, could use them to test this. Basically everyone would qualify for the FMSC room both times and anyone lower than a certain time cut-off ends up in the HDCS. Only problem with that would be a requirement for having two cars, if we decide to upgrade the FMSC cars a bit...

Edit: now that I think about it, we don't really have to do much. I have signup sheets for both series ready to go pretty much, so people can just sign up for which ever one they want based on their own opinion of their driving skills. After the first pre-season race we can then do some shuffling around if we think someone belongs in one or the other.

Last edited:
Funny you guys talk about upgrades for the FMSC cars. I took my season one car that was running the current specs (I used it for a test car) and re-installed the racing suspension and threw in a short-ratio trans for good measure, then went for some laps around Laguna. Consistently at least a half second faster. Could be a bit faster depending on suspension settings though. But we could go a couple ways with this:

Short Ratio trans + Racing suspension + ECU tune

or

Short ratio trans + ECU Tune + Sport Softs

or

ECU Tune, sport softs, racing suspension

The HDCS cars would then stay the same specs that we have now. 👍

I'd definitely vote for having the short ratio trans. Didn't even think of that 👍. So that and the ECU tune and sport softs. Racing suspension only allows you to change ride height right?

Soon actually, I might have them up by tomorrow night.

Let me know if you need any help with the sign up form, I have a couple really nice templates that should work nicely.

Yeah, no reason to split us up with two forums. I didn't delete them though, they're just hidden so you can't access them from the main site.

Well we have two pre-season races on the schedule, could use them to test this. Basically everyone would qualify for the FMSC room both times and anyone lower than a certain time cut-off ends up in the HDCS. Only problem with that would be a requirement for having two cars, if we decide to upgrade the FMSC cars a bit...

Edit: now that I think about it, we don't really have to do much. I have signup sheets for both series ready to go pretty much, so people can just sign up for which ever one they want based on their own opinion of their driving skills. After the first pre-season race we can then do some shuffling around if we think someone belongs in one or the other.

Ok that's a good idea, so there'll be two car specs, FM (which spec is still TBD) and HD (FMSC 2 spec). So people will sign up for whatever they feel's best for the practice race? Why don't we just do the double quali. thing? Then it'd be up to them to pick which field they want to start from. Say you somehow got tenth spot in both races, which would you want to run?

That tough decision is what I think's gonna make the system great.

I also think we need something like a golden ticket system. I don't know if this would really work but whatever I'll just put it up. It would be for the select few who underestimated their potential in choosing themselves to the HDCS and ended up being a lot better. No wait - let's call it the Jammin' Pass! xDDDD ? "Dude you won a race then got second? You're totally jammin'! Want in on FMSC?"Named after a humble purple loving bro of ours.

We would make a rule where if someone has back to back podiums in HDCS that they get the option of breaking out of their "contract lock" and immediately moving up to FMSC where they get half of their total points recognized. This will not only give people a lot of motivation to stick out races in HDCS but also make those that are afraid of being too fast the fall back.

I'd definitely vote for having the short ratio trans. Didn't even think of that 👍. So that and the ECU tune and sport softs. Racing suspension only allows you to change ride height right?

Racing suspension lets you adjust everything actually. I call it racing suspension, but its actually the fully customizable suspension.

Wardez
Let me know if you need any help with the sign up form, I have a couple really nice templates that should work nicely.

They're not all fancy like our results forms, but they work ok. :lol:

Wardez
So people will sign up for whatever they feel's best for the practice race? Why don't we just do the double quali. thing? Then it'd be up to them to pick which field they want to start from. Say you somehow got tenth spot in both races, which would you want to run?

We can do that, but like I said earlier that would require them to purchase two cars if we have the specs different for each series.

Wardez
We would make a rule where if someone has back to back podiums in HDCS that they get the option of breaking out of their "contract lock" and immediately moving up to FMSC where they get half of their total points recognized. This will not only give people a lot of motivation to stick out races in HDCS but also make those that are afraid of being too fast the fall back.

Not to keen on doing the Jamin pass, lol. I think the best we could do is, if they get a podium finish two races in a row, then they have the option of trying to qualify for the next FMSC race. Again, would require them to purchase another car, but they're cheap. Moving up with half points is a good idea.

Also, I would like to get the HDCS thread up today, but I don't have a high res version of their logo. So not sure what to do there...

My 2 favourite changes for season 2 was going to sport mediums and fixed sport suspension. Change anything else, but please keep these :nervous:

My 2 favourite changes for season 2 was going to sport mediums and fixed sport suspension. Change anything else, but please keep these :nervous:
I have to agree with Egg on this. It was an almost perfect blend of handling and power. If GT ever fixes the cartoony draft, I wouldn't mind as much.
Short-Ratio trans + ECU Tune?
What's the top end with the short-ratio transmission?

What's the top end with the short-ratio transmission?

Pretty sure it's the same, 130mph.

Also, adding the ECU bumps the car to 145hp, 396pp.

Edit: With this combo, I ran a 1:43.352 during a mock qualifying run at Laguna. Car is definitely quite peppy with these parts. And if we go this route, those that want to try and qualify for both series won't have to purchase a new car.

Last edited:
Pretty sure it's the same, 130mph.

Also, adding the ECU bumps the car to 145hp, 396pp.

Edit: With this combo, I ran a 1:43.352 during a mock qualifying run at Laguna. Car is definitely quite peppy with these parts. And if we go this route, those that want to try and qualify for both series won't have to purchase a new car.

Just bought the transmission to check.
Top speed on standard transmission: 254km/h
Top speed on close ratio transmission: 214km/h
Sorry for my metricness, eh.

Just bought the transmission to check.
Top speed on standard transmission: 254km/h
Top speed on close ratio transmission: 214km/h
Sorry for my metricness, eh.
To paraphrase the Simpsons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqP3SE4k2qg

That's 133 mph!

Sacrebleu!!!! :scared:
Sounds good. I think the only thing missing is how it feels with slipstream effects.

That's 133 mph!

Sounds good. I think the only thing missing is how it feels with slipstream effects.

We only have 145hp, I think 130mph is plenty. :lol:

True, although with a 130mph cap for everyone, long straight away drafting will only go so far. I really like the way the car feels. I'm 99% sure we're going to make this switch.

The '91 with enough mods to get it up to the same PP level puts it at about 8 tenths per lap slower than the '89 at Laguna. Might be closer on slower courses as it's pretty similar to the NB.

I've just opened registration. New car specs are posted on the website which can be accessed from the link in the first post.

Looks awesome, love the sign up sheet. I would've had myself registered by now but it's gonna take me a while to finally decide on what sponsoe I'm gonna wanna run...

Thanks!

I might be switching back to the trusty Season 1 steed, so I'll be looking for a new sponsor here shortly.

I've just opened registration. New car specs are posted on the website which can be accessed from the link in the first post.
Went ahead and signed up. 👍

I'm still trying to get the right colors for Red Bull, though. It's weird how the color looks about right at the dealership but it's so far off in the light. :ill:

R1600Turbo
Edit 2: Also going to make the executive decision to drop the NB from the series. Sorry Dr_Watson!

Lol, that's all good. Cool car and all but... yeah not enough takers.

and yeah, maybe Sunday would be better, or sometime during the week I suppose.

haha... yeah, it would have been a lot cooler if it wasn't just me. But it was a fun experiment. Any chance of upgrading to the NC and using the NA in the feeder?

What about just holding an official qualifying session at the beginning of the season, and we just split them that way? Could be as easy as having an open practice session and a race steward could watch all the times. At the end, just tally them all up and split them accordingly.

Hot-Lap placement works really well for the WRS and worked out ok (geographical crap notwithstanding) for GT-Academy. I'd say that would be a much better way to place people.

3) B room winner won't get automatic berth if there's a feeder series. If there is NOT a feeder series, and we go back to the B room winner get's in to the A race it would be for the NEXT race. If you were slow enough to be in the b room during qualifying, then you should be in the b room that week.

How does winning @ this weeks race mean that you'll be fast enough next week at a different track? That makes less sense than giving the winner of the B-Room the chance to make that race a warm-up for the main event. Seriously with all the extra practice from winning a race I'm sure the promoted driver would be much improved from qualifying.

If we had one or two exhibition races with a mix of the two, I think that will keep them motivated to stay in the series.

Open practices would take care of that. You'd not only be able to follow the faster drivers but talk to them as well; both are helpful.

edit: on a related note I just finished reading through the new rules sheet. It confused me before so I figured I'll ask, why the bonus point for winning from pole? Why not just give it to the pole sitter or fastest lap regardless of finishing order?

Last edited:
edit: on a related note I just finished reading through the new rules sheet. It confused me before so I figured I'll ask, why the bonus point for winning from pole? Why not just give it to the pole sitter or fastest lap regardless of finishing order?

Because winning from the pole is more impressive?

Looks like the HDCS thread has really taken off. :rolleyes:

I leave for a day and look what happens!

I approve of all the changes made to the formula and I am glad to see that the HDCS isn't utilizing stock Miatas.

I guess it's time to make a new car. I wonder what colors I should use. :dopey:

Ok, I'll just lay it out:
Pre-season qualifiers just don't work. We need to come up with a hot lap challenge that any one interested in racing in FMSC must pass in order to be registered.

The next thing that should be done is make it clear that only new very competitive minded drivers should look toward FMSC for racing and all of those people floating around not sure about joining up should see that HDCS is wide open for fun and amateur level racing.

Having a registration qualifier should really peak the interest of some of the guys out there looking for a good challenge.

I think it'll be fun-tronic to come up with a baseline lap time that people need to reach on a certain track that'll provide the yardstick measure of skill in order to get into FMSC. I can imagine all kinds of scenarios. We could keep it classy and make people do something like a sub 1:44 on Laguna in under 6 laps. Or something really wild that's too cool for me to think up right now... /FMSC drivers must be able to jump their cars a minimum distance of 50 feet/

Ok, I'll just lay it out:
Pre-season qualifiers just don't work. We need to come up with a hot lap challenge that any one interested in racing in FMSC must pass in order to be registered.

Yeah but then you have to go through the whole "submit your replay" mess that we went through for season 1.

Hmm, not so much. We would do it pretty much just like how Brock did in the defunct Supercar series... ok so it would be ripping it off x) but it's a great idea that's most effective since it could be easily run through out the entire series to easily get people worked in.

What is best does, I think, is that a guy that's not sure of his skill will look at the leader board of "registry challenge" (since we would gots to have) and see the times, try it out by himself and say, " Hmm, not nearly as fast, better just sign up for HDCS"

So the challenge would just be held like a regular qualifying session. If you appoint a couple people that're nice enough to volunteer their time and expertise in order to oversee the aforementioned challenge sessions then it would be quite the easy thing.

My thoughts were that, even if everyone signs up for the FMSC, they can attempt to qualify for the first practice race. We take the top ~14 drivers and bump the rest down into the HDCS. Then do it again for the second practice race. Then make adjustments from there.

Because winning from the pole is more impressive?

I always find it more impressive when someone wins from the back than the front. I kind of expect the pole sitter to be the favorite to win. :shrug:

That bonus point was hardly used last season anyway, so not like it matters. Plus I lowered it from 2 points...

@IforceV8 - Dudeman, you know you want in on this good time. I think it's about time you stop creeping and you start racing! :)

@IforceV8 - Dudeman, you know you want in on this good time. I think it's about time you stop creeping and you start racing! :)
:lol: I just logged into PSN and spec'd the 89 out.I'm checking out the lobby then heading for my lounge to try this thing out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back