FM6: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

Yet Xbox One and Forza 6 sell a order of magnitude more in Australia than Japan.

They are directly catering to their most profitable regions and more Japanese tracks in Forza isn't going to change the abysmal sales.

Yes. There's nothing here I dont agree with. Hell I dont even like the Japanese tracks except for Suzuka and Tsukuba. I do however, like Super GT and the various DTM type cars.

However saying that, I kind of expected you to defend them cutting content. I suppose there truly is a defence force for everything.

I count myself as a fan of Forza but man, I could never defend it to the degree you do. Well done.

Couldn't agree with @-Fred- more: I miss Suzuka, but really am not fussed about the others being gone. I'm currently enjoying all the new real life tracks that've been added... well, most. I know it's blasphemy, but I've really never cared all that much about Monza. I'm also completely disinterested in Hockenheimring, but that's a returning track.

I totally agree with you on this. While there is a lot of history surrounding Monza, it's not really appealing to me either. I remember back in the day with Geoff Crammond's/Microprose GP2-3-4, when it was pretty much the epitome of simulation, it was one of the tracks I never actually cared for all that much. I won't even get into Hockeinhem, I dearly miss the old, extremely fast layout from the late 1990s, and the current version of that track should not be mentioned in the same sentence as that one.

I do believe however FM6's track list has a bit of everything to please everyone, and I don't really see how one could actually improve upon it. Sure, there's a few tracks missing (I can think of one in Bowmanville, a few hours away from me and you that deserves a bit more glory, for instance, but then again that might be plain old patriotsim speaking) but T10 hit all the bases this time around.

I do believe however FM6's track list has a bit of everything to please everyone, and I don't really see how one could actually improve upon it. Sure, there's a few tracks missing (I can think of one in Bowmanville, a few hours away from me and you that deserves a bit more glory, for instance, but then again that might be plain old patriotsim speaking) but T10 hit all the bases this time around.

Monaco and Suzuka are dearly missed imho, I really hope they get added later. It feels wrong for a game like Forza to omit them.

Otherwise I kind of agree with some earlier sentiments - The puddles feel really half arsed after a while. No displacement when moving through, not even rain splashes. They also don't have an actual depth to them and are painted on the track (first thing I checked in photo mode).....

The only thing they seem to be are zones where the speed with which you are going through them affects whether or not the car tries to spin. They don't seem to affect actual grip. Why couldn't we have dynamic weather again?

Again, I get the historic appeal, but Monaco is absurdly boring as a racetrack (not to mention there's absolutely zero racing done there, it's mostly follow the leader until the race distance is completed) and would be an absolute nightmare to play online...

Again, I get the historic appeal, but Monaco is absurdly boring as a racetrack (not to mention there's absolutely zero racing done there, it's mostly follow the leader until the race distance is completed) and would be an absolute nightmare to play online...
For me it's not boring but "interesting" in all the wrong ways with those diabolical hairpins and one car track width. I honestly wouldn't care if I never saw it again and hope it never comes to Forza. Would absolutely love for Suzuka to make a return though.

Last edited:

A certain Dutch F1 driver would like to disagree there. :P

A certain Dutch F1 driver would like to disagree there. :P

Well, don't try to overtake, just follow the leader until the race distance is complete. I too would be quite happy seeing Monaco in Forza. I, for one, like the track.

Well, to be honest, aside from Suzuka, nothing really shines in Japan as far as racetracks go... And with Honda apparently being very selfish with the licensing, I dout we'll see it again.

Since they've redone it Fuji has been neutered and has very little appeal, Tsukuba was okay because of the Best Motoring implications but that's long gone, Motegi is absolutely useless, more than boring and I hate it with every fiber of my body (90 degree corner, straight, hairpin, straight, 90 degree corner, rinse, lathe, repeat and so on and so forth) Sugo is widely unknown, T1 Aida has all but been forgotten if it even exists anymore, Autopolis is boring, Ebisu is too small (and would only appeal to the drifting community), Fujimi Kaido was not real, and the other ones are all niche racetracks with very little appeal globally, the kind of stuff that only people who've ever watched an Option or Best Motoring video would know about.

No tears for the loss of Tsukuba here. Or Mugello for that matter. Though I always did find it more enjoyable than Road America which right now stands as the only circuit left that I couldn't care less about as well as Long Beach.

No doubt Suzuka will top the board of most missed tracks in Forza for the time being, and I'd definitely rather see it return before adding any additional new circuits from the same region. If I had to choose any true-to-life alternatives in Japan though, I'd go for '60s/'70s Fuji if only to give the Group 7 cars a period layout to blitz around along with Okayama (TI Aida), which is deserving of more attention as I can imagine it being a blast online.

I don't think I've ever experienced SUGO other than night racing in TOCA WTC. So I can say if it'd be a worthwhile addition. And while I have a soft spot for Motegi (especially for hot-lapping), it's an absolute whore of a track when it comes to actual racing, as is the case with Monaco. That and I don't miss the oval either.

Last edited:
That's fine. However why is it an issue NOW and not for the last 5 past iterations. I can fully understand a smaller company like the Project Cars guys but Turn 10? Surely these guys have the biggest funding and biggest clout of any company, even over Sony.

That's fine. However why is it an issue NOW and not for the last 5 past iterations. I can fully understand a smaller company like the Project Cars guys but Turn 10? Surely these guys have the biggest funding and biggest clout of any company, even over Sony.

If the companies don't want to do business, there's nothing even Microsoft can do.

I'm currently enjoying all the new real life tracks that've been added... well, most. I know it's blasphemy, but I've really never cared all that much about Monza. I'm also completely disinterested in Hockenheimring, but that's a returning track.

I honestly think that once you strip Monza of its heritage and importance in motorsport, it's a pretty damn boring track to drive. I look forward to every race hosted there in real life but I fall asleep when I play it in a game.

After a couple of hours (total):

The Good:
  • The car list is a great base and it can only get better through add-on content
  • The number of tracks available at launch as compared to FM5 is a definite improvement
  • Wet weather actually forced me to buy an AWD because I'm crap in a RWD car 👍
  • Photomode camera looks more like a..camera
  • Lighting everywhere is a massive improvement
  • The music still sets the atmosphere
  • The addition of Prize Spins and Mods makes the grind for money less tedious
  • Test Drive
  • The UI is a massive improvement over FM5. It's much more responsive and feels much less of a chose to browse through menus to me.
  • Night racing feels scary when there's no lighting on parts of the track
  • I'm very happy that there's no headlight glare in the rearview/looking back as that would get very annoying very quickly
  • You can sell cars again!
  • CALSPAN®
  • Team Forza cars are paintable so I don't have to be stuck with that livery of theirs.

The Bad:
  • Wet Weather tracks and night courses are separate and not actually dynamic things you can choose. It's nice it's there but I kind of hoped it would have been dynamic by now.
  • There's padding in the car list.
  • Only two home spaces at launch. There's room to expand is as long as T10 doesn't drop the god damn ball.
  • Some of the car sounds don't sound like they did in trailers. It's not a big thing for me but still kind of annoying.
  • You can't move your car at all in ForzaVista? Why? The game even shows different god damn angles of the car in your Rio home space. Like this:
    7xipm2M.jpg
  • All Drivatars are M. Rossi
  • Orange Peel is still being shown on New cars. I'd kind of hoped that it would be a gradual process for cars once mileage was racked up on it.
  • Interior shots are still very limited

The Ugly:
  • No Auction House why?
  • I *still* have to back out all the way to the main menu to change controller settings??
  • Who thought this was okay:
    g8ACjHQ.jpg

Last edited:
Yes. There's nothing here I dont agree with. Hell I dont even like the Japanese tracks except for Suzuka and Tsukuba. I do however, like Super GT and the various DTM type cars.

However saying that, I kind of expected you to defend them cutting content. I suppose there truly is a defence force for everything.

I count myself as a fan of Forza but man, I could never defend it to the degree you do. Well done.

Is this a joke?

No Japanese tracks, no Super GT cars. You can see that Japan is obviously not important to Microsoft at all.

The Xbox One is currently at 11,000 Xbox One sales in Japan this year and 50,000 LTD Xbox One sales.

Because you know, Japanese cars arent sold in America or the West.

Another game/simulator arcade whatever omitted Japanese cars too and see how that went.

Exactly how is Forza 6 omitting Japanese cars?

Then you call me a fanboy because I point out the obvious? Xbox One sells better in Australia then Japan so it makes sense that they will try to cater to Australia.

This must be how much Japan isn't "important" to Microsoft:

Day One:
Japanese cars: 20%
American cars: 25%
European cars: 53%~
Other: 2%~

Acura
  • 2001 Integra Type-R
  • 2002 RSX Type-S
Datsun
  • 1970 510
Honda
  • 2014 #2 Honda Racing Team JAS Civic WTCC
  • 2014 #5 Zengő Motorsport Civic WTCC
  • 2015 #5 Schmidt Peterson Motorsports Dallara DW12
  • 2015 #7 Schmidt Peterson Motorsports Dallara DW12
  • 2015 #14 A.J. Foyt Enterprises Dallara DW12
  • 2015 #15 Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing Dallara DW12
  • 2015 #25 Andretti Autosport Dallara DW12
  • 2015 #27 Andretti Autosport Dallara DW12
  • 2015 #28 Andretti Autosport Dallara DW12
  • 1986 Civic Si
  • 2014 Civic Si
  • 1997 Civic Type-R
  • 2004 Civic Type-R
  • 2007 Civic Type-R
  • 1991 CR-X SiR
  • 1992 NSX-R
  • 2005 NSX-R
  • 1994 Prelude Si
  • 2009 S2000 CR
  • 2001 S2000 Fast & Furious Edition
  • 2005 Team Forza NSX-R
Infiniti
  • 2012 IPL G Coupe
  • 2014 Q50 Eau Rouge
Lexus
  • 2013 GS 350 F Sport
  • 2014 IS 350 F Sport
  • 2009 IS F
  • 2010 LFA
  • 2015 RC F
  • 1997 SC300
Mazda
  • 1991 #18 MAZDASPEED 787B
  • 1991 #55 MAZDASPEED 787B
  • 1972 Cosmo Sport 110 S Series II
  • 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
  • 2005 Mazdaspeed MX-5
  • 1994 MX-5 Miata
  • 2013 MX-5
  • 2016 MX-5
  • 2013 MX-5 Cup
  • 1973 RX-3
  • 1985 RX-7 GSL-SE
  • 1997 RX-7
  • 2011 RX-8 R3
  • 2016 Team Forza MX-5
Mitsubishi
  • 1995 Eclipse GS Fast & Furious Edition
  • 1995 Eclipse GSX
  • 1992 Galant VR-4
  • 1997 GTO
  • 1999 Lancer Evolution VI GSR
  • 2004 Lancer Evolution VIII MR
  • 2006 Lancer Evolution IX MR
  • 2008 Lancer Evolution X GSR
Nissan
  • 1969 #21 Nissan Racing R382
  • 2015 #23 Nissan Motorsport Altima V8
  • 1993 240SX SE
  • 2010 370Z (Z34)
  • 1969 Fairlady Z 432 (PS30)
  • 2003 Fairlady Z (Z33)
  • 2002 Fairlady Z Fast & Furious Edition
  • 1994 Fairlady Z Version S Twin Turbo (Z32)
  • 2012 GT-R Black Edition (R35)
  • 2013 IDx NISMO Concept
  • 2014 Juke NISMO RS
  • 1998 R390 GT1
  • 1992 Silvia CLUB K's (S13)
  • 2000 Silvia Spec-R (S15)
  • 1971 Skyline 2000GT-R (KPGC10)
  • 1999 Skyline GT-R Fast & Furious Edition
  • 1993 Skyline GT-R V-Spec (R32)
  • 1997 Skyline GT-R V-Spec (R33)
  • 2002 Skyline GT-R V-Spec II (R34)
  • 2003 Team Forza Fairlady Z (Z33)
Scion
  • 2012 tC
Subaru
  • 1980 BRAT GL
  • 2013 BRZ
  • 1998 Impreza 22B STi
  • 2004 Impreza WRX STi
  • 2005 Impreza WRX STi
  • 2008 Impreza WRX STi
  • 1990 Legacy RS
  • 2015 Team Forza WRX STi
  • 2011 WRX STi
  • 2015 WRX STi
Toyota
  • 1999 #3 Toyota Motorsport GT-ONE TS020
  • 2014 #11 Handy Motorsport Avensis NGTC
  • 2014 #20 United Autosports Avensis NGTC
  • 2014 #80 Speedworks Motorsport Avensis NGTC
  • 1969 2000GT
  • 1974 Celica GT
  • 1992 Celica GT-FOUR RC (ST185)
  • 1994 Celica GT-FOUR (ST205)
  • 2003 Celica SS-I
  • 2013 GT86
  • 1995 MR2 GT
  • 1989 MR2 SC
  • 1985 Sprinter Trueno GT Apex (AE86)
  • 1995 Supra Fast & Furious Edition
  • 1998 Supra RZ
VXR
If the companies don't want to do business, there's nothing even Microsoft can do.

Careful, you might get called a fanboy for pointing out the obvious.

Last edited:

Licenses are not permanent, they have a duration. No car company is going to sell the license to their cars on a permanent basis :)

So when the renewal comes up, the license holder can decide what to do with it. They may decide on not renewing it, or asking for a lot more money. Or, the licensee may be asking for too low a price, so they refuse to sell it. Lastly it can simply be a case of not having had the time to actually negotiate the renewal, for either party.

What exactly the reason is, we don't know, but take your pick from the above ^^

Licensing is a tricky area with a lot of landmines in it. It's not as easy as people make it out to be :)

If your first name is Bernard and your last name is Ecclestone, is actually is really easy.

That is true, but Bernie is not in control of the licensing between T10/Microsoft and Suzuka and RUF :P

He is also only the president of F1, not the FIA, so he can't say much about Super GT either sadly.

well, from japan I too think that suzuka is the only one worth making a fuss about.
also I play forza long enough to remember the complaints (oohh, tsukuba-suzuka again ffs!! like in every other game! gimme something else!) so now complaining about not having them is a little funny :D

I am not sure if licensing is the problem there or -like nurburgring- the amount of work and optimization needed to be done.
having it run at 1080/60 under any circumstances no matter what, its something that is not automatically done you know... :D

I can say though that I am happy with the track selection t10 has on f6
and chances are that during the lifetime of the game there will be more added.

A special note to their new track, RIO. I mean,we are complaining to them about maple valley lost, but on the other hand they brought a far-far better new track.
you guys must try rio full reverse with your favorite car -if you haven't already

The Bad:
Orange Peel is still being shown on New cars. I'd kind of hoped that it would be a gradual process for cars once mileage was racked up on it.

The Ugly:
No Auction House why?
well, the thing about orange peel... its a paintjob thing, not a mileage thing. ;)

and auction house was abused/hacked by the forza community, so you better kiss it goodbye for good

Overall I love the game, I think it is very good. But it is Forza 6, some of the features they left out is pretty sad for the 6th game in a series and the errors and glitches are just inexcusable. To me, the quality of the game feels like they did the bare minimum for a racing game and didn't go above and beyond the previous games. Forza 4 was near perfect, especially for it's time. I feel like Forza 6 should have far exceeded that and it didn't. I'm deliberately ignoring the garbage that was Forza 5 (although to be fair, it was a step in the right direction).

The good:
Audio is improved
Car list is top quality (better still with Porsches eventually)
Rain and night are finally here, even if it's static.
Track selection is great, the new additions are fun. Walkins Glen is fantastic!
Graphics are the best yet
Wheel spin is nice, although I always get mod packs.

The bad:
No qualifying still. Guess I'll start in the middle of the pack.
Drivatars are frustrating. Have to change driving habits to avoid being break checked or rammed into. I dread rain races. Please just give me AI so I can actually race.
Lack of Japanese tracks. I get that it's a license issue, but it's still unfortunate.
Mods are dumb (personal opinion)
Would like to see more homespaces or the ability to move your car around the home space. Hell, I'd like to be able to walk around the homespace like those old PGR games or TDU.
Dynamic weather/ night would be nice.
I don't like the menus, I liked previous games where you could see your car while selecting races, etc...
Same old wheel selection
Race brake upgrade is always red painted calipers. Red calipers on E-Type Jag is just weird. Remember Forza 1 or 2 when you could change the colors of the calipers?

The ugly:
I noticed some glitches, especially with the "highlights" menu that hangs off the screen. Also the distance driven is in feet and that bothers me more than it should.
I have to select the "buy car" option before a race in career to see what class the cars should be for the series because it doesn't say it anywhere else.
The menus are slow. I've noticed I've been hitting A or B twice to make a selection or back out.

Last edited:
Hell, I'd like to be able to walk around the homespace like those old PGR games or TDU.
Technically if you go to "photo mode", while in the home space, you can "walk" around your car and the entire home space. Works very similar to PGR3 and PGR4. Clicking "photo mode" while in there gives you full freedom to go anywhere in that home space. I do hope they add more home spaces soon. I also agree with the majority of your bad and ugly feedback.

Technically if you go to "photo mode", while in the home space, you can "walk" around your car and the entire home space. Works very similar to PGR3 and PGR4.
I haven't even thought about that. Although, you likely can't interact with the car in photomode correct?

This isn't a big deal, no, but I would be nice to feel more connected to your car and surroundings simply by having the ability to walk around your garage space rather than just hover around it in a circle.

I haven't even thought about that. Although, you likely can't interact with the car in photomode correct?

This isn't a big deal, no, but I would be nice to feel more connected to your car and surroundings simply by having the ability to walk around your garage space rather than just hover around it in a circle.
In autovista "Hit X" on home screen, you can interact with the car. Sit inside, start the engine, sometimes look at the engine compartment, and learn details about the car. Then click photo mode while in there "I think Y" and you will instantly be able to move anywhere in that home space in any direction. Exactly like PGR3 / 4. Also just like TDU2 just without the visible avatar. Autovista is about as close as it gets to interacting with a car in a video game.

In autovista "Hit X" on home screen, you can interact with the car. Sit inside, start the engine, sometimes look at the engine compartment, and learn details about the car. Then click photo mode while in there "I think Y" and you will instantly be able to move anywhere in that home space in any direction. Exactly like PGR3 / 4. Also just like TDU2 just without the visible avatar. Autovista is about as close as it gets to interacting with a car in a video game.
What I mean is that, although you can fly around the home space in photomode, you can't open the trunk/ hood/ doors while in photomode?

What I mean is that, although you can fly around the home space in photomode, you can't open the trunk/ hood/ doors while in photomode?
Yes and no. Not at the exact same second but with a click of a button you can interact with the car when you hit I believe the "Y" button. Photo mode while in autovista is just a toggle on off button. Its instant and in the same location.

I would also like to note that sometimes you have to physically approach a vehicle to remove its hood or engine compartment. Example The P1 McLaren. If you hit the "X" to explode the car, the trunk (engine compartment) wont open. BUT if you approach it from the rear, an option will allow you to remove the rear hatch, showing the engine. Several cars do this.

14-jpg.446211

P1 McLaren rear

b-jpg.446714

a-jpg.446715

This BMW from the front. Hood has to be "removed".

Last edited:
Back