Fond Memories of GT1......

I threw in gt1 tonight to relive some SSR11. After the ps2 I put it on the computer but can't get analog control working and the save I do have is really immature, 2 tests left in IA license, only 3 cars most races not done. Still, love that track :D

HI Fi mode is what you get after you finish the world cup I think. You get to race around SSR5, Clubman Route 5, and Route 11 by yourself. There's no background scenery so the game devotes all its energy into making your car look dazzling. It's cool but after 10 minutes I was bored.

Last edited:
Hi-Fi made my brain hurt......but it looked cool so thats all that matterd...Endurence races.......the first time i did the GRand Vally 300KM....I lost.:) Last lap, those insanly fast ass [R]Skyline R32 GTRs past me up in the last three turns....I wa so mad back then....

JamaicanDrifter
Hi-Fi made my brain hurt......but it looked cool so thats all that matterd...Endurence races.......the first time i did the GRand Vally 300KM....I lost.:) Last lap, those insanly fast ass [R]Skyline R32 GTRs past me up in the last three turns....I wa so mad back then....

I don't remember what happened in my first GV 300K ...I think I may have won it. I remember initially thinking I would lose. Used a Viper GTs from the Dodge dealer; the prize Viper was too heavy and I couldn't control it as well at the time...probably could now.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
I wouldn't say Route 11 sucks in GT3...it's just not as challenging. There are still plenty of people who don't get that track even without the Dual Chicane of Death thrown in! It takes plenty of patience to master entering and exiting all those hairpins without tagging walls.
True that! You could either win or loose a race when entering the lower tunnel on route 11, Those walls were visious! They were also plenty of fun to bump the Ai cars into also...;-)

HYBRIDLVR
True that! You could either win or loose a race when entering the lower tunnel on route 11, Those walls were visious! They were also plenty of fun to bump the Ai cars into also...;-)

Yeah I did that a few times as well. Sometimes you would get too close or be going to fast and just clip the wall. Stops you dead in your tracks. I did wonder about re-doing GT and if that happened then the race was over but I still have GT2, 3 & 4 to complete first.

I was playin trhis yesterday day after a healthy dose of GT4......I was flyin through there way to fast...but I guess my new and improved driving skills prevailed and I made it.....I came in ther hot to.....tail out in my Mitsu GTO(Didnt you like it better when it it was GTO? Why they change it?)

JamaicanDrifter
I was playin trhis yesterday day after a healthy dose of GT4......I was flyin through there way to fast...but I guess my new and improved driving skills prevailed and I made it.....I came in ther hot to.....tail out in my Mitsu GTO(Didnt you like it better when it it was GTO? Why they change it?)

They changed it because Pontiac was gonna sue Mitsubishi since they originally had a car called the GTO. Ironically, the new Pontiac GTO is being dropped from their lineup this fall due to poor sales.

So far as the game car goes, different physics/different game. I noticed a stock Viper in GT1 for instance felt much more tail-happy than a stock Viper in GT3, probably cuz they tried to simulate the limited-slip each Viper comes with when new in the 3rd game.

Last edited:
HYBRIDLVR

Speaking of bumps...I have a theory that perhaps they did include the dual chicane, only to scrap it because the AI couldn't hack it. Check out how the AI cars drive around Route 11: even the best LM cars like the S2000 and RX7 can't make one lap without tagging several walls. Maybe they would get all bunched up in a prototype version of the double chicane.

It's really a case of poor programming. Those same cars can do laps around Laguna flawlessly (no spins, and forays into the sand are rare) yet at Route 11 they make some really dumb mistakes.

Last edited:
I notice they all touch the last wall of the tunnel exit as their programmed line, It's kinda sad when you have a really close race and you can count on gaining a second at that point of the race.

Parnelli Bone
JamaicanDrifter
I don't remember what happened in my first GV 300K ...i think i may have won it. I remember initially thinking i would lose. Used a Viper gTs from the Dodge dealer; the prize Viper was too heavy and i couldn't control it as well at the time...probly could now.

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/1999-04-03.html#Grand_Valley_300_Results

I'm pretty sure the NSX-R LM GT2 beat me. I vaguely remember it lasting longer after its last pit stop than I thought it would, so I didn't quite get the lead back. Obviously I was a lot slower with the Cerbera LM than I would later end up being.

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/logs/gt1enduro.txt

HYBRIDLVR
I notice they all touch the last wall of the tunnel exit as their programmed line, It's kinda sad when you have a really close race and you can count on gaining a second at that point of the race.

Very true. Another spot is after you drive up that straight in the center of the track with the with the kink in it (this is after all the initial hairpins, L-turns and J-turns), the cars brake too late into the sharp right elbow turn, then as they try and recover, they hit one wall, floor the gas, and then hit the opposite wall. I like staying close behind them before any of the happens. As they screw up, I try and find an opportunity to slip ahead of them.

Last edited:
SportWagon
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/1999-04-03.html#Grand_Valley_300_Results

I'm pretty sure the NSX-R LM GT2 beat me. I vaguely remember it lasting longer after its last pit stop than I thought it would, so I didn't quite get the lead back. Obviously I was a lot slower with the Cerbera LM than I would later end up being.

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/logs/gt1enduro.txt

This says it all, SportWagon: The GV300K is a ball. Cerbera LM, three pit stops, came 2nd by +0:13.027, in 1-42'08"066 as they put it. Oh well.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
They changed it cuz Pontiac was gonna sue Mitsubishi since they originally had a car called the GTO. Ironically, the new Pontiac GTO is being dropped from their lineup this fall due to poor sales.

So far as the game car goes, different physics/different game. I noticed a stock Viper in GT1 for instance felt much more tail-happy than a stock Viper in GT3, probly cuz they tried to simulate the limited-slip each Viper comes with when new in the 3rd game.
Well thats gay...I liked GTO better......you know after having "Mitsubishi GTO MR" Burned into my memory I hate seeing "Mistsubishi 3000GT MR" I feels weird......also you kno what also makes me mad? IN GT1 you could tune the boost of your turbines....now.....no racing modification or a boost controller......:grumpy:

I remember my 800-something hp Supra. It had no low end torque and was all lag until about 6500 rpm in first.

I was at Grand Valley trudging up the hill tworard the first u-turn, very slowly. I made it okay and once the nose was pointed downhill, WHOOSH, that car took off like mad!

JamaicanDrifter
Well thats gay...IN GT1 you could tune the boost of your turbines....now.....no racing modification or a boost controller......:grumpy:

Doesn't it make you wonder why they got rid of variable turbo boost? GT1 also has the best gearing charts and arguably the best power grids too.

HACKr
I remember my 800-something hp Supra. It had no low end torque and was all lag until about 6500 rpm in first.

I was at Grand Valley trudging up the hill tworard the first u-turn, very slowly. I made it okay and once the nose was pointed downhill, WHOOSH, that car took off like mad!

Yeah, that's true. I raced one of the high-powered Subarus at Route 11 and had to tone the boost down because I kept getting mad turbo lag if I had it on full!

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
Doesn't it make you wonder why they got rid of variable turbo boost? GT1 also has the best gearing charts and arguably the best power grids too.
Yeah you can pretty much make the perfect turbocharged car......but I guess what they say goes,goes.........:grumpy:

HYBRIDLVR
How could you tune the Boost of your Turbo's?

In GT1 you can choose the boost level of your turbo's. I think that is what they are refering to...

HACKr

I didn't have any turbo probs like that. Before the start of the race I would rev the engine to build up turbo boost and then the car would take off. If I ever slowed or went off track and had low boost then I would hold it on brakes and rev the engine to build boost again before letting go of the brakes...

Parnelli Bone
Doesn't it make you wonder why they got rid of variable turbo boost?

I didn't realise they had...

Parnelli Bone
GT1 also has the best gearing charts and arguably the best power grids too.

Whcih helped make it the best game of the series, in my opinon. I really don't understand why they changed details like that...

OK, That's where you can move the Bar in the settings to adjust the Boost, I forgot about that neat Little deal, Why do PD take good options like that out?

I have no idea why they axed the turbo boost, but I figure they got rid of the gear & power charts because it takes a bit of programming time and it's not really a significant part of the game...GT doesn't NEED the charts, but the fact that they are present makes the game all the more better.

I noticed they brought back power graphs in GT4, but they're still not as good as in the first game.

Latest Posts

Back