Fond Memories of GT1......

Discussion in 'Gran Turismo 1' started by JamaicanDrifter, Jul 4, 2006.

1. HYBRIDLVR

HYBRIDLVR

I've always Sharked my gears into my Tranny, I need a view of the trans gears to have a starting point, That's all I need and I hope PD don't go bothering that!

2. JamaicanDrifter

JamaicanDrifter

You know what car I love? The Del Sol LM Edition! They need to bring this car back......Oh and the Chaser LM edition too......Cercera LM also:) . Those cars are so great.

3. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

Too bad i can't shark the awesome gear & power charts from GT1 into GT2, 3, and 4. That's all i would need!

4. TMM

TMM

That would be good...

5. JamaicanDrifter

JamaicanDrifter

Awww man...I lost the SS Route 11 last night....haha.....Those R32s in this game are ruthless! He was on my ass the whole night! I lost my concentration at the Chicane of death too......I cant stay up a;; night like I used to anymore.....oh well....

6. kjb

kjb

I don't miss the power grids as much as I miss the gear chart. It made it much easier to play around with the gears.

7. Barracuda

Barracuda

im playin gt1 right now, and i just remembered how much joy it brought me. i remember my cousin had a ps1 and i wanted 1 so bad. so christmas came around and i got a ps1 and 3 games. gran turismo 1, gran turismo 2, and need for speed high stakes. i was ultimately happy:dopey: and i had my dad hook it up and i played it all day. then i mostly did arcade mode because i was afraid to race:scared: . lol. but i think i was around 6-7 years old so i didn't get much. I just really LOVE cars.

8. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

We feel your pain, bro :ouch:

9. Sakiale

Sakiale (Banned)

Same here.

Stupid chicane of death.

But I dont recall any R32s in that race. Hm..

BTW I still have GT1 so..

10. SportWagon

SportWagon Premium

11. Mode06

Mode06

I still have GT1 somewhere, but it's more the matter of finding my ps1 memory card, which vanished some time ago, if i don't find it, I'll actually be a little bit sad, all my old saves gone...

but yeah, they best thing about gt1 for me was when i first saw it when i was 11, i saved up for ages for it, then bought it and the first car i ever bought, a red toyota supra, i thought it was the best car in the world, until i bought a gto in passion red, that felt like a jet engine in comparison, loved it.

Had all my mates jealous because i had it and they didn't, so they saved and bought it, but i always kicked their ass :sly:

Should have a look for it sometime really, i loved that viper, did the high speed ring in under a minute i think, unless that's not possible...sure it was 56 seconds...

</novel>

12. BobK

BobK Premium

High speed ring under a minute with a Viper? Sure, that's possible, even with a stock one IIRC. But not in GT2, 3 or 4 :(

My original PS, memory cards and GT1 are long gone. But a few months back I picked up another copy of GT1 from Amazon and found a store locally that was selling used memory cards. I played with it for a while, started a new game and finished it in a week. No way that's going to happen with GT4!

But hmm, I haven't touched it much since then. Maybe I'll drag it out again, do the Grand Valley enduro again, just for old times sake.

13. Thiele

Thiele

i got gt1 almost as soon as it was released [might have been christmas 1997] when i was about five years old [i'm now twelve] and i still had it until recently.

about two months ago i was playing gt4 and i got the red circle loading so i lift the lid and put it down [normally that fixes it] but it didn't so i took the disc out and found a big sooooo sad but angry so i threw it at the wall and it snapped in half then i almost cried:(

one week later i was playing gt1 and it stopped loading so i lift the lid up and down [normally that fixes it] buty it didn't so i took the disc out and found a big chip in it so i was sooooo sad but angry so i threw it at the wall and it snapped in half then i almost cried in fact i did cry:(

today all i have left is the two halves of each game and memories of the two games until i get new ones and i'm getting tears in my eyes right now and everytime i think about gt1

i have to admit though the game was already very badly scratched

also before it snapped i backed up an iso on the computer to play in emulator i don't have any sound cause it didn't rip very well cause it was so scratched but i can use downloaded save files off the internet without a maxdrive or anything and i can still get the graphics
    ooooooooooooh stupid ps2 putting big chip in my gt1 and gt4 and gt2 stops loading aswell so i lift the lid up and down i'm afraid it might only be a matter of time before gt2 gets that story aswell

my eyes water every time i think about gt1

see gt1 and gt4 in my sig

14. JamaicanDrifter

JamaicanDrifter

Well my memory card finally died......:indiff: .....its been 9 years......and its gone....now I have to focus on GT4 till I can find another PS1 memory card.....Im very sad.....that GT1 save file was like 7 years old:banghead:

15. Law93

Law93

i remember giving every car the racing modification tune up......it was soooo cool making a stock car into some big race car :tup:

16. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

chances are you were ready for new discs anyways. Or perhaps your console is messed up. There was a thread i started in the GT4 forum and i was asking what the hell is that red circle that totally ruins my game, and one of the answers included instrux for taking apart the PS2 slim and vaccuming it and stuff. Extremely detailed, but i don't feel savvy enough to accomplish it. All my other games (ps1 and ps2) work fine....it's only GT4 that refuses to load after i finish a race. :(

17. GritsNSausage

GritsNSausage

LOL man i remeber i first got that game when i was 6 years old. My Favorite car was always the Cool Grey Impreza Wagon.Man i loved that car! I would keep on racining the sunday cup until i was finaly able to buy the castrol supra!l lol!

18. Thiele

Thiele

sniff sniff :sad:

19. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

Yeah, i dig racing wagons, too. I remember cooking an NSX in a Honda Accord wagon in one of my first spot races. :D

20. Barracuda

Barracuda

what i dont get is why the called it a gto. its a 3000gt. in gt1 i started with a white supra. it felt so dam fast. another thing is that the gts viper cost like 10,000 more and the regular one had more hp. i thought the regular one looked better though. it was alot wider.

21. Scaff

Scaff Staff Emeritus

Because in some markets it was sold as the GTO. Why they desided to name it that in the game for all markets I don't know.

Regards

Scaff

22. Barracuda

Barracuda

well the whole thing about that is that there is already a gto and it had existed LONG before that car so how could they sell it with that name when the copyright for it was already owned by pontiac

23. Thiele

Thiele

hey i never thought about that that's a friggin good point

24. SportWagon

SportWagon Premium

GT4 is a dual-layer DVD.

Perhaps it's the only such game you have?

That's why a largish number of people couldn't play GT4 when they first got it.

25. SportWagon

SportWagon Premium

I think car names are trademarks, not copyright.

The trademark laws and treaties are less international than copyright. (And even copyright isn't universally recognized). I mean, how much expense should be devoted to making sure "Pete's Corner Store" is the only "Pete's Corner Store" in the world, when they don't intend to expand outside of their neighbourhood anyway?

Some jurisdications may not recognize the right to trademark what is essentially a three-letter acronym arising from a somewhat generic description. (After all, the original GTO's were from Ferrari). I'm sure you couldn't trademark "GT", for instance. ("GT" in association with some other name, probably, but not simply "GT").

In some cases, it appears Japanese law sets up a situation where Japanese companies can trademark a foreign trademark, causing the foreign "owner" to need to buy it from them when they come to market in Japan. I believe that happened to, for instance, Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) (now defunct). Until recently, the Pontiac GTO trademark was not used for current models, anyway. (And it did continue to be used by Ferrari).

Why didn't the producers change the name in the first game? After all, despite what I said, the issue had arisen when Mitsubishi did start selling the cars in North America; well before GT1. Well, I have the impression that marketing GT outside of Japan was an almost last-minute afterthought. So presumably they hadn't taken care of all those issues 100%.

But, all-in-all, avoiding use of the name "GTO" in North American markets may be more of a sort of corporate courtesy rather than a tooth-and-nail legal necessity. Not that most companies would want to attempt to take on GM tooth-and-nail. So they resort to courtesy instead. :)

26. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

No sir. I have GT1, 2, 3, and 4...i thought you knew that. I still do plenty of racing in 2 and 3..in fact i'm tackling some GT3 right now. No probs with loading whatsoever. But if GT4 uses a dual system or whatever, that could be why it's the only game i have that i can't play yet. :(

27. SportWagon

SportWagon Premium

I meant, "Perhaps GT4 is the only game you have which is on a dual-layer DVD?"

GT1 and GT2 were on a CD (or two).

And presumably GT3 was a single-layer DVD.

28. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

Oh i see. Well i'm gonnna try playing my disc on my nephew's PS2 slim, and if it still does its glitch, i'll try buying a new copy of GT4. It's either my console or my disc...can't be both.

29. Thiele

Thiele

gt1 and 2 both play up in my ps2 so no it's not only gt4 that refuses to load

30. Parnelli Bone

Parnelli Bone Premium

Well i jsut got a new copy of GT4 and it plays fine. It sounds like (in your case) that your console is to blame, perhaps.