Football Manager

• Thread starter Sureboss
  • 197 comments

Sureboss

Tanned and Lipstick'd
Premium
United Kingdom
UK
Couldn't find any recent threads on this, so here we go...

We must have some players on here, been playing FM/CM (solely FM now) for about 7 years, wasted many, many hours, days, years on it. I'm a Llama, if you don't know what that means, have a google. Currently playing with Pomorac in the 2nd Division in Croatia and a FM LLM clan game with Ayr up in Scotland.

Also been testing for the new FM09, it's looking very good. If I told you any more than that, I'd have to kill you!

Ah, home.

I've been playing manager games since CM01/02, which in my opinion still holds up well against FM08

I play 08 too much and 09 I will be on a large amount of my time. Apparently from another tester Northampton will be shocking as our 2 star players to start with have left (Bunn & Gypes) and we have been hugely under valued.

3D Match engine looks good 👍

I've been playing football manager type games for ever.

The original Football Manager, anyone?

Then CM came out. Then FM came back. I must have spent years playing them.

Not currently playing any of them. FM07 is the last one I have. Please don't get me started back on it as my life seems to disappear when I start. Just one more game....

Here's my "current" Liverpool team. Won the league twice, and the Champions league once in the 4 years played so far...

Can't seem to get the hang of training, so just leave my assistant to do that.

EDIT: And many happy nights were spent playing Brian Clough's Football Fortunes. A board game that used an Amstrad or Amiga to generate the results, and injuries to players and suchlike. I still have 2 copies of it, and my Amiga to play it on....

Last edited:
Ah, home.

I've been playing manager games since CM01/02, which in my opinion still holds up well against FM08

I play 08 too much and 09 I will be on a large amount of my time. Apparently from another tester Northampton will be shocking as our 2 star players to start with have left (Bunn & Gypes) and we have been hugely under valued.

3D Match engine looks good 👍

Yes, 01/02 was a very good version, and FM08 was the first to sell over a million copies iirc.

daan
Please don't get me started back on it as my life seems to disappear when I start. Just one more game....

It is unbelievably addictive when you get going, that phrase "Just one more game..." is bone chilling!

I've only just got back into football management after a 7/8 year hiatus, brought on by my appalling treatment by the Board at Manchester City... After a successful spell as manager of Parma in Italy - qualifying for the Champions League, I took charge of Man City and took them to the Championship play-offs in my first season, and then won the title in my second season. I thought I was doing great in my first season in the Premiership, despite the fact that my team was largely unchanged after promotion. We were knocked out of the FA Cup and, despite being an amazing 3rd place in the league, the Board sacked me... :grumpy:

After a successful spell as manager of Parma in Italy - qualifying for the Champions League, I took charge of Man City and took them to the Championship play-offs in my first season, and then won the title in my second season. I thought I was doing great in my first season in the Premiership, despite the fact that my team was largely unchanged after promotion. We were knocked out of the FA Cup and, despite being an amazing 3rd place in the league, the Board sacked me... :grumpy:
I hate that. I would really love for there to be a "no sack" option for human players.

The number of times I've taken Motherwell to 3rd in the Scottish Premier which, given the amount of money Rangers and Celtic have, is as good as any other team is likely to get, only to get sacked the next season when lying 5th is ridiculous. With Rangers and Celtic always going to finish 1st and 2nd, or 2nd and 1st, any other team in the league has the capability to be 3rd. As manager of Motherwell, as long as I am able to finish at least mid table, which I always do, my job should be safe. But it never is. It's infuriating. :grumpy:

EDIT: Talking about FM05 and FM07

ive recently started playing Champ manager 08 after downloading it legally of course *ahem*
im addicted
i started a seaason with east stirling in scottish div. 3 and a season with man utd for some reason (its not really in the spirit of the game is it?)
i love it!!!!!!

Anyone made the switch to FM09?

Just bought it for a fiver (had a GAME voucher). The 3D engine is really useful at judging weakness of your team and/or players. I've gone for lonely Pamlihosa in the low end of the Portuguese leagues. Made some changes to both types of staff. One of my 3 strikers at the club has a finishing skill of 1...

Funny you should say that actually. I got it a few days after it came out and im not impressed at all. I'm currently on FM08 in 2012 with Everton and im not looking to leave it for 09. I don't like the skin at all. The 'modern' style which means small witting makes it look weird and its harder to see if a player is good or not. Its a little more realistic and I don't really like that. I loved the fact on 08 you could see a player on the transfer list for 350k and still get them for nothing.

The match engine doesn't seem to add anything to it. Ive just found it harder to get into a game like I can on 08.

I have had this game for two weeks. I'm running 2 game saves right now. It's the first FM game I've bought and I can't say I'm dissapointed. My first save was as Altricham, I choose that club for two reasons, first they were a lot closer to the bottom of the bottom and second they are a local club only a couple of miles from me. When I play games like tihs I tend to get far more satisfaction trying to turn a nothing situtation into something. If I can get Altrincham into the league that will be great but if over time I can turn them into a decent club that will be amazing. All the young players I have now will have retired before then mind, but it would be amazing.

My other game rather predictably is managing Manchester United, simply because they are the club I support. In terms of time I've spent more time managing United but I found them easier to get to grips with the game with and the knowledge I got from using the transfer system for players and staff and getting used to scouting etc has helped me with my Altrincham save. That said, my United team are top of the prem, top of their group in the CL and the only signings I've made is Rodney Sneijder, Wesley Sneijders (Real Madrid) 17 year old brother and Adem Ljajic who can't join the team until Jan 2010.

I signed 4 players on free transfers for Altrincham, 2 have done well and 2 have been crap. All 4 are under 21 though. Altrincham are mid table in the Blue Square Conference league.

Is it possible to just bash through games like CM3? I used to put so many hours into that series just cos you could get through a full season in a day of play. It was so addictive. I began playing with CM2 and my fave games were 99/00 and 00/01. I got switched off when it they split to CM/FM and haven't really played since. My favourite part of the game was scouting young/unknown players then having them become great players in the league. I would really enjoy a game where your job was just that, scouting and recommending players for clubs. IMO the later games were just too fiddly and technical I just want to buy/sell players, select my squad and get on with the games.

The new FM is definitely more resource hungry, so your PC may make a difference to processing speeds of games if it is a poor PC. I've got a 2.1Ghz, 1MB RAM with a 256MB GFX card. That's about the minimum spec I'd say for a comfortable game.

I'd say it takes me about 8-10 minutes to do a game, also depends on how quick the match highlights slider is.

Anyone playing the new Football Manager Live, its very addictive i havent touched GT since i got it.

My keeper has notched up 12 clean sheets in a row in my save with Pampilhosa in Portugal. We're doing well, though I think promotion may not be possible this season, despite going 14 games unbeaten.

I've just bought FM2009. There goes my life again... Damn you, Sureshot!

Surprisingly, it works fine on my laptop, although the 3D match engine is a bit jerky, but the good ol' 2D one works fine anyway.

Mr_Burns.png

Daan, 3D is a feature that once you start using you'll say, "2D what?"

That effect hasn't worked on me. Still in love with 08. I have no time for 09 whatsoever at this moment I really think its a backward step.

Who said change is good?

Does Steam have the capability of transferring a gamesave from my laptop to my desktop? Or would I have to use a USB stick?

Steam is installed on both so the game can be used on both, can't it?

Interesting. I suppose it depends if the gamesave is saved onto the Steam account or not. I'll do some digging for you.

My Documents > Sports Interactive > Football Manager 2009 > Games.

The save file you need will be in there, just copy and paste it into the same folder on the new computer once you've installed FM09.

The only difference will be if you've carried on from the demo, in which case the save file will be in the Games folder of the Football Manager 2009 Demo folder.

You'll have to transfer it via USB. Make sure that the versions of 09 are synchronised, same db, patch, etc. Though I'm sure you know that!

I think installing a gamesave onto your Steam account sounds like a good idea to me.

Can any of you help, I am currently playing Football Manager as Southport, a better challenge than using my team Manchester United, however after the first season in which I scraped promotion in the playoffs in the conference north, to the conference and then finished a respectable 11th there in the second season, at the beginning of the third season, I thought I could finish quite a bit higher, that was until I decided to give the players a low win bonus, now a lot are unhappy and it is effecting their performance, is there anything I can do about it?

Can any of you help, I am currently playing Football Manager as Southport, a better challenge than using my team Manchester United, however after the first season in which I scraped promotion in the playoffs in the conference north, to the conference and then finished a respectable 11th there in the second season, at the beginning of the third season, I thought I could finish quite a bit higher, that was until I decided to give the players a low win bonus, now a lot are unhappy and it is effecting their performance, is there anything I can do about it?
Give them better contracts.

I think you've shot yourself in the foot a bit there, if they don't think the reward for doing well in a competition is worth the effort then they won't put as much effort in and they will be more inclined to play fish on the hook to attract other teams. Over time you will be able to build up thier morale and remotivate them though media and player interaction and if you can scrap a run of good results together that will improve their form. But you'll have to grin and bear it for a while because it won't happen straight away.

It's been a few months and I can't string a few results together, I'm now 19th. The players still are unhappy because of a low competition bonus set at the start of the season, to not make a loss I did this, never will I do it again after this.👎 I just hope I don't get sacked.

I think it is making it worse because one of the players unhappy is my captain and my strikers are also sulking, apart from one who aparently finds it hard to motivate himself because of my low reputation, but he was occasionally scoring until he got injured.

It seems whatever you do you make players unhappy, from not playing, prasing or giving them what they want, to giving them too much praise or expecting a better performance when they got a 4.1 rating, I think I am right to ask more from someone who plays that bad.

I have a lot of work on to turn this around, with every loss and every game it seems to be getting worse.

Call a team meeting.

I always start as 'International Player' So im thrown in the hat for alot of jobs.

One thing I always do, and you probably do to, is check the released players. Every few weeks I take a look see who's been released and offer the ones who I might think even have the smallest chance to join me a trial. They are usually younger kids from Swedish/Finnish clubs and are a reasonably talent and actually play for the team and not usually too bothered about that sort of stuff.

It's been a few months and I can't string a few results together, I'm now 19th. The players still are unhappy because of a low competition bonus set at the start of the season, to not make a loss I did this, never will I do it again after this.👎 I just hope I don't get sacked.

I think it is making it worse because one of the players unhappy is my captain and my strikers are also sulking, apart from one who aparently finds it hard to motivate himself because of my low reputation, but he was occasionally scoring until he got injured.

It seems whatever you do you make players unhappy, from not playing, prasing or giving them what they want, to giving them too much praise or expecting a better performance when they got a 4.1 rating, I think I am right to ask more from someone who plays that bad.

I have a lot of work on to turn this around, with every loss and every game it seems to be getting worse.
Have you tried reverse psycology with any of the players. Telling them that that are useless and telling the press in pre match conferences that you don't expect a good result. It sometimes gives the players that kick up the jacksie they need. Some times it works and they try to prove you wrong. Also you might want to consider bringing in a few players out of contract to challenge for places. They won't come in with the motivational problems your current players have and maybe they can produce some form and kick start things again for you.

Back