Football Manager

• Thread starter Sureboss
  • 197 comments
I've started playing the Android version of FM. It kind of takes me back to the glory days of '00-'01. I feel that the current PC versions are too in depth now for my tastes, so the android one suits me to a T. It may be a tad on the expensive side (£6.99 IIRC) but I feel it's been well worth it.

picture.php

:D

Neil Lennon got sacked after that game...

I didn't buy FM this season, I don't buy every edition any more, it wastes too much time.:lol: Next season I might get it again, we'll see.:)

Ahh how the :odd: could I miss out on this thread... :crazy:

Been playing CM since 2003, and FM every year since 2005.
Huge football fan and love football games and manager games.

Probably spent somewhere between 2000 and 3000 hours on FM the last couple years.

Addicted! :dopey:

My first entry into the Pc football manager series was championship manager 97/98. It probably is my favourite version as well, closely followed by the 03/04 edition.

Tempted to fire up 2011 again!

My first entry into the Pc football manager series was championship manager 97/98. It probably is my favourite version as well, closely followed by the 03/04 edition.

Tempted to fire up 2011 again!
I've been with Championship Manager since the beginning on the Amiga, and I think I bought every single version that came out. CM Italia was an early highlight, and then CM2 introduced Scottish leagues. Which was nice.

But hands up if you remember Kevin Toms?

Would like a bit of help with this regarding formations. And scouting.

I'm about to start a new save as Burton Albion. I use the Handheld version as the computer one is too slow for my pc.

I personally like 4-3-1-2, but it depends on what players you have; you have to have a formation which suits the players.

Scout the under-18s and the reserves of teams in divisions better than yours.

Liquid
I personally like 4-3-1-2, but it depends on what players you have; you have to have a formation which suits the players.

Scout the under-18s and the reserves of teams in divisions better than yours.

4-3-1-2 is that 3 midfielders a CAM and two attackers yes?

Also coming to tactics, I'm not quite sure on that either. Currently trying to loan reserve goalies from the prem.

4-3-1-2 is that 3 midfielders a CAM and two attackers yes?

Yeah, that's how I play it. Can you assign roles on the handheld version? It's absolutely critical that one of your central midfielders is a ball winning midfielder.

Also coming to tactics, I'm not quite sure on that either. Currently trying to loan reserve goalies from the prem.

Chris Maxwell of Wrexham is a top goalie at that level. Keep an eye out for him at least.

I'm strictly a wheeler dealer. Freebies and Bosmans. It's all you can do in the lower leagues at least.

Liquid
Yeah, that's how I play it. Can you assign roles on the handheld version? It's absolutely critical that one of your central midfielders is a ball winning midfielder.

Chris Maxwell of Wrexham is a top goalie at that level. Keep an eye out for him at least.

I'm strictly a wheeler dealer. Freebies and Bosmans. It's all you can do in the lower leagues at least.

Yeah I can assign roles. Season not going great as I only have 10k to work with. Maybe start again with a L1 team.

Might just go with Wrexham even though there in the Blue Square Premier. Also I can't remember how to offer a contract to someone still at a club so you can get them free. I did it with Inzaghi at Liverpool before, just forgot how.

Also, help with what to choose here would be helpful;

Team Mentality: Balanced - Defensive - Attacking
Passing: Short - Mixed - Long - Direct
Tackling: Cautious - Committed - Normal
Pressing: On - Off
Offside Trap: On - Off
Counter-Attack: On - Off
Men Behind Ball: On - Off

And anything else helpful. I'm dunno whether I'm really bad or just unlucky. Can play a game with 60% possession, 8 shots on target.

And lose 1-0 with the other team getting a cheap goal from there only shot on target.

Last edited:
You'll have no money at Wrexham and pretty much nothing with a L1 team. Lower leagues are all about stretching the wage budget.

You can offer a player a contract 6 months before their current contract ends. Compensation is due if the player is under 24 years old.

Tactics depends on what type of football you want to play. And it links back to what I said about having the right players. Attacking, direct football with a formation which has wingers won't work if your wingers are slow and poor at crossing. Similarly, your defence will crumble if your defenders have no strength, stamina or intelligence.

To start off with, I'd go straight down the middle and play balanced football. Just get the basics right until you can decide further if you can build a team which plays free-scoring attacking play or tough, resiliant defensive play.

Oh, and sign Pablo Counago. Ex-Ipswich striker. He was a free agent at the start of my FM2012 and will do an unbelievable job in L1/L2/CON.

Just found this thread. Here's my FM12 experience at the moment:

Started a season with Eastbourne Borough in the Blue Square South and did very well in my first season. I finished top of the league with 30 wins, 11 draws and 1 loss which lead the team to promotion to the Blue Square Premier.

bssleaguetable.png

Trophy wise we didn't do too bad. We won the FA Trophy against Tamworth in the final at Wembley to a crowd of 20,000.

fatrophyfinal.png

In the FA Cup we got to the first round which was expected of us and got drawn against Tranmere Rovers away. This was a very tough game and we lost 3-0 which was expected against a League 1 team.

facupround1.png

I have played my first three friendlies and things are looking good. Here are some transfers I brought in. There is a few quality young players and some decent experienced players. The stats might look low to you but for the league I'm in they are very good.

djimadoum.png

matthewfletcher.png

nickynicolau.png

roarieyoki.png

ryanclarke.png

I'll update you on how I'm doing half way through the season.

See you soon.

So, i've just pre-ordered (the yearly) Football Manager, this time called 2013. :sly:

Was wondering if there are many people here on GTP getting it?

I will most likely get it at some stage, when is it out?

I'm definally getting it not sure when tho, that depends how long i stay hooked on PES :)

Haven't seen any new features for this year yet , will have to look it up after this.
I usually get it every couple of years, as there aren't too many changes from year to year.

Haven't seen any new features for this year yet , will have to look it up after this.

A 'Director of Football' can handle much of the legwork this year. Contracts, training and so on, leaving you to be more of a 'Head Coach'.

Challenge mode; completing scenarios and so on.

Training has been revamped too, done away with sliders. They've also integrated with the Steam network so online games should be much easier.

I'm tempted by this years.

I buy it every year. And then get cross when I have to abandon my save from the previous year's game, which is always taking Wrexham to the very top.

I'll do it differently this year. I'll *gasp* choose a different team. Thanks to the dynamic league reputations and playing standards, I'll go as my local team and hopefully turn the League of Wales into something... acceptable.

Just downloaded the demo.

Have set up a game, and are playing as I type... Oh yeah! :sly:

- Edit:

I really like the looks and design of the menu's in this years FM. Looking really good. 👍

Last edited:
Just got FM 2013 for my Android Tablet, and am currently a few games into the season with Motherwell. I'm liking it so far, even though I'm out of the champions league (I beat Copenhagen in the qualifier then got beaten by Malaga in the playoff) but have now dropped into the Europa League. I managed to (re)sign James McFadden for free and that pleased the board.

And we all get a chance to laugh at Rangers languishing in the 3rd division, although they are vastly superior to anyone else in their division and will probably have an unbeaten (league) season. Should be amusing to manage them and see how many goals you can score over the season...

What's it actually like for Android though?

Some other friends aren't a fan of the match engine for 2013 and have also said the handheld stuff is very hit and miss.

In 2012, I switched off the 2d match as it didn't seem that good.

It does seem to be better now, although I've only done half a dozen games so far. The text does seem to be a bit behind the match engine, but it gives you a chance to watch it, then look down to confirm who scored, so I don't know if that's by design.

It's obviously not as detailed as the PC version, and you're stuck in the one league for the duration of the game, but it takes you back to Champ Man 00-01 which is no bad thing in my book. The more recent PC releases have been too detailed for my liking.

Back