Football Manager

• Thread starter Sureboss
  • 197 comments
My captain probably isn't right, he was captain when I started though and has always been fine until this season, there isn't much choice for captain really, if I change it I really only have two choices, a right back who probably is my weakest link and injured for six months anyway, or another center back who's not playing good either.

I tried everything in the pre match conferences, the problem is one of my strikers who has this, had very poor morale before a game but did very well in a match, I thought I had turned it around, he now had superb morale, three days later and my next game, he was back at poor again, because he is still bothered by the competetion bonus, I am in December now, it's still a problem, so to anyone who thinks the way to save money is to give a low competetion bonus, don't do it, the players don't seem to get over it.

I very rarely attend press conferences. My AssMan does it and he's got a positive attitude (otherwise I wouldn't have employed him) so I just tell him to do it.

I have a new defender coming in the transfer window, if I can sure up the defence a little I might survive, my wide midfielders are playing well and my forwards are getting a few, it's just disappointing my team, which on paper is pretty good, top six probably, is doing so bad, mainly because of the low competition bonus. I just can't string a set of results together.

It annoys me when you do well and your contract isnt renewed. Really ruins it.

It's not far from real life though is it, infact real life managers get unfairly fired long before their contracts run out. My contract has a couple of years to run yet, so I have a chance to turn it around as long as I don't get the sack. Also I have tried twice to call a team meeting, but nothing seems to happen.

Well I got Northampton promoted and finished 15th and my contract wasn't renewed.

That's harsh, that's why I am a little worried I might be sacked, afterall you could argue I deserve it. If they don't sack me I have another season to try to get a new contract, after the work I have put in, I don't really want to move clubs. I still can't belive setting your competition bonus low should effect the players this long, I am now in Febuary, maybe they will never be good or supurb morale if they wanted more money, but their morale won't even rise to poor or ok, well it does, but it goes straight back down again before the next game.

Having lots of fun with Pampilhosa in one of the most confusing lower league structures around (on a par with Brazil). We've played 4 cup games this season, each round is decided on the day, no replays. Scorelines: 0-0, 1-1, 1-1, 0-0. I won all four on penalties!

Finances are looking better, though we will still make a loss of about £50k (I reckon, depends upon promotion if we can get it!), which was the same as last season, but last season there was a £100k cash boost.

My team is looking stronger, we are like the Arsenal of the 90s, no big scorelines, but we aren't hackers, that's for sure.

If you guys want a challenge, why not try to play as Athletic Bilbao?

Using an alternate account on the same game (my main one was Arsenal), I left Newcastle after one season and went off to Athletic. My younger brother told me that it wasn't possible to do anything with them, but I pressed on, and I won the Primera Liga with Barcelona eating my dust 10 points behind.

Of course, I wasn't sure that I could replicate that same form with the team again (i.e. defending the title), so I left the club at the end of the season and went to Milan.

Athletic is by far the hardest I've ever had to play. Only players in a region in a country are allowed, and there are even fewer good players in that region.

*Thread revival*

Anybody play Football Manager 2012? This was the only thread I could find in the search.

Got this game the other day and started a game with my hometown club Middlesbrough :) I've dabbled a little in football manager games before on the PS2 (LMA Manager 2003-2007, Total Club Manager 2004-2005, later known as FIFA Manager) and I have to say this is pretty good. There is a steep learning curve for beginners, not having an 'overall' rating/stat is annoying (Opinions of abilities are constantly changing depending on form, I have to rely on individual stats). Also the tactical and training elements seem far more in-depth than in the other games.

I'm a little peeved that you have very little control over the finances of the club. Realistic yes, but in the other manager games i've played you get to choose sponsors, build stadiums, and in the EA one you can set prices and even take out bank loans or float the club on the stock market. I've just finished my first full season with Middlesbrough, coming second in the championship and achieving promotion, by a single point (West Ham were around 7 points clear of me, they beat me 8-0 in our last match together :banghead: With nearly double the wage bill of the next richest championship team i'm not surprised). Through the season I was making an operating loss of over £1million pcm, which meant if I discounted the player Wage bill I still wouldn't have been breaking even (It was Budgeted at £200k per week, but I got it down to ~£170k through some re-negotiated contracts). Then at the end of the season the players and staff got a £1.4million bonus split between them, when I only got £25k for my league position :yuck: Ontop of that, I barely made anything from gate receipts beyond the season ticket sales. I sold 15,000 season tickets and I was averaging 16,000-17,000 audiences, which is less than half capacity. Unless you magically get £10million+ in TV right payments at the start of the premier league season i'm not going to be able to bring any new players in (Infact i'll probably have to sell a few first team regulars to balance the books), which will probably mean i'll go straight back down or get sacked :(

Just bought a new laptop and downloaded FM 2011 for £4.99 from PC World via Steam. Only one season in so far with Portsmouth, and the financial situation isn't helping! Hopefully I won't get the P45!

What is Fifa Manager like, worth a punt?

The earlier ones were good, haven't played the recent ones FIFA Manager is an all round more accessible game.

I just started my second season and my team got £40million in TV revenue, meaning I was given £11million to spend on new players :D Too bad the wage budget only increased by £25k per week :/ I can't even get one decent striker for that. Michael Owen's contract had run out but he was demanding £38k :/

I've played this series for quite a while, before the introduction of football manager i played Ultimate soccer manager and championship manager.

Anyway i've my season with Coventry, trying to save them from relegation.

Played FM10 and just got FM12

Loving it at the moment, may be slightly predictable but playing as Man Utd, (hometown team)

I've figured out how to increase my wage budget :D You can balance it with transfer budget. However, it doesn't seem to increase the maximum wage allowed for a player, which is REALLY annoying, because it limits me to £22,500, when most potential signings who are even worth the trouble are on £30-40k a week.

It's kind of unrealistic as some more experienced players won't take wage cuts towards the end of their career when they can't get a place at a reputable club. I tried to sign Roberto Carlos (transfer listed - offered by an agent for ~£200k) and he wanted £95k a week plus incentives :lol:

It's really ruining the game as I can't sign any good players. My plan was to bring in some premier league quality players and use my current team to make up the depth (Main place that needs improving is defence). But what is going to happen in reality is I have to spend millions to bring in players of similar quality, who will not really improve my team, just bolster it.

Wage budget, certainly does put a restriction on your potential purchases. I'm not convinced it will raise itself enough, to get better players in either. Looks like the scouts are going to earn their money, and patience needed from the board.

This game is taking the mick, eight draws in a row. I might have the equal fewest defeats of any team in the premier league, but i'm sitting 15th with 11 points.

Addicted to the game since 2005.

FM2012 career to date:

2011/12 - Wrexham 1st Conference National, FA Trophy Winners
2012/13 - Wrexham 4th League Two, Play-Off winners
2013/14 - Wrexham 4th League One, Play-Off winners
2014/15 - Wrexham 2nd Championship, FA Cup winners, Contract Expired
---
2015 - Australia
2016 - Australia Resigned
---
2016 - Wales Under-21s
2017 - Wales Under-21s
2018 - Wales Under-21s Resigned
---
2017/18 - Everton 1st Championship, took over with 6 games to go
2018/19 - Everton Poor run of form made me quit by October, Resigned
---
2019/20 - Eintracht Braunschweig 1st German Third Division
2020/21 - Eintracht Braunschweig 1st German Second Division, Resigned
---
2022 - South Korea Resigned
---
2022/23 - Wrexham & Canada 7th Premiership, Resigned from Canada
2023/24 - Wrexham 7th Premiership, League Cup winners
2024/25 - Wrexham 6th Premiership, League Cup winners, FA Cup winners
2025/26 - Wrexham Sitting 3rd in September, resigned to take on new job Resigned to take new job
---
2025 - Wales
2026 - Wales

And 2026 is where I am at the moment!

Well on the FM forums there are people who delibrately holiday to see how the game mechanics like dynamic nation reputations and such develop.

I've read and seen a screenshot of one person who holidayed to the 4500s back with 08.

Back