For the people that are still hitting other cars: RADAR

To see the cars surrounding you, you just have to push your directional pad up!!!!!
(you will see the map on the right bottom side change to a radar!!!)

Thanks in advance for using this,... :dunce:
It's a nice feature but, IMO, it's too small, or rather, the cars are too close to you before they appear on the radar. GT5 had it right, where you could see cars up to a full second behind you on a fast straight. You had ample warning when someone was behind you and you knew if they were far enough back in the radar, they couldn't challenge you in the corner so you could effectively ignore their presence and focus on taking the best line through the corner. In GTS so far, they have to be almost right on top of you before you see them on the radar. It should be scalable.

It's a nice feature but, IMO, it's too small, or rather, the cars are too close to you before they appear on the radar. GT5 had it right, where you could see cars up to a full second behind you on a fast straight. You had ample warning when someone was behind you and you knew if they were far enough back in the radar, they couldn't challenge you in the corner so you could effectively ignore their presence and focus on taking the best line through the corner. In GTS so far, they have to be almost right on top of you before you see them on the radar. It should be scalable.

Agree, the circle with the smallest radius needs to be scaled to the car's dimensions. So that in theory, if the car is outside the radius in the radar than if you turn you won't make contact.

To see the cars surrounding you, you just have to push your directional pad up!!!!!

Funny that. I used that straight away in races as soon as I got the beta and guess what? It disappeared from the available options for two straight days. I haven't even tried to race for two days. Is it working again?

Agreed the radius should be bigger!!

Funny that. I used that straight away in races as soon as I got the beta and guess what? It disappeared from the available options for two straight days. I haven't even tried to race for two days. Is it working again?
worked fine last couple of days,.. but never saw it in the options.. i found it by playing with my buttons :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I quite like how zoomed in it is. For me mirrors + looking behind are fine for judging cars coming up from a distance, it's the really close-quarters racing where it's helpful for me to see precisely where opponent cars are in a corner compared to mine. For that purpose the radar's small radius (and hence bigger triangles) is beneficial. An option to adjust it for each player's own uses would be good though.

I quite like how zoomed in it is. For me mirrors + looking behind are fine for judging cars coming up from a distance, it's the really close-quarters racing where it's helpful for me to see precisely where opponent cars are in a corner compared to mine. For that purpose the radar's small radius (and hence bigger triangles) is beneficial. An option to adjust it for each player's own uses would be good though.
Exactly that. I worry about running another car off track, bumping or shutting the door on them in any way that will be seen as unsportsmanlike. In most cases, I would need a radar for close-quarters situations and not to check if someone's catching up to me. The mirrors haven't posed as much of an issue with blindspots. Using buttons to look around cover it for me.

Of course, I wonder if anyone has an issue with adjustable radar settings. I'd like to hear of any.

You can thanks PD for altering the matching procedures recently. Before that I was actually having clean races, now there's more lower class drivers in the races making everyone's life a living hell. I'm in "c" class so no ghosting but I've had a D guy come through (a few times now) and either launch me into the Ming dynasty from behind or get up the inside and use me as a turning vane.

Edit: grammar

You can thanks PD for altering the matching procedures recently. Before that I was actually having clean races, now there's more lower class drivers in the races making everyone's life a living hell. I'm in "c" class so no ghosting but I've had a D guy come through (a few times now) and either launch me into the Ming dynasty from behind or get up the inside and use me as a turning vane.

Edit: grammar

There will still be people doing that,..... even in the higher class....
hopefully they will be taken to a dark place in the forrest in the very near future..

even when battling for 11th place some people will try to drive you off track,,..... seriously for 11th place :lol:

Thing is, there's no downside to having the radar cover a larger area. You can still see all the cars and their positions and, if it's like it was in GT5, you don't even have to use your mirrors if you don't want to. It's a win/win all around.

I had a refreshing experience along Dottinger Hohe the other night. It's the first time I've been behind someone there and he didn't block. He just kept his line as me and another car passed him. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I may weave to try and break the tow, and I'll take the inside line around a corner, but I will never actively block.

Thing is, there's no downside to having the radar cover a larger area.

If the radar covers a larger radius then the triangle icons will be smaller, which makes it harder to see and judge small gaps involved in particularly close battles or pack racing. That would be the downside for me because I'm not great in those sort of situations - the bigger the icons, the more helpful it is to me. There will always be a tradeoff between precision and field of view. But as I said an option for each player to choose their own tradeoff would be grand. Unless PD made it so the zoom changed dynamically during a race, but that might be too distracting and/or unreliable.

If the radar covers a larger radius then the triangle icons will be smaller, which makes it harder to see and judge small gaps involved in particularly close battles or pack racing. That would be the downside for me because I'm not great in those sort of situations - the bigger the icons, the more helpful it is to me. There will always be a tradeoff between precision and field of view. But as I said an option for each player to choose their own tradeoff would be grand. Unless PD made it so the zoom changed dynamically during a race, but that might be too distracting and/or unreliable.
An option would be best solution but PD isn't real big at giving drivers options with things like this. I still see no downside to increasing the area of coverage. There are other, more creative ways to alert you to cars that are really close without having to resort to a zoomed in radar. Colour coding for example, audio alerts etc. Assetto Corsa on pc has a free app called HeliCorsa that's pretty much ideal for this, completely customizable, created by a guy in his basement working on a pc, given away for free. You can move it anywhere on the screen and it becomes visible only when there are cars in range. Too much to ask from the biggest franchise in sim racing I suppose.

Okay I don't know if he is really working out of his basement but you get the point. :D

I had a refreshing experience along Dottinger Hohe the other night. It's the first time I've been behind someone there and he didn't block. He just kept his line as me and another car passed him. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. I may weave to try and break the tow, and I'll take the inside line around a corner, but I will never actively block.

There are more people like that, like me.... but there are a lot of fast drivers in the beta...

An option would be best solution but PD isn't real big at giving drivers options with things like this. I still see no downside to increasing the area of coverage. There are other, more creative ways to alert you to cars that are really close without having to resort to a zoomed in radar. Colour coding for example, audio alerts etc. Assetto Corsa on pc has a free app called HeliCorsa that's pretty much ideal for this, completely customizable, created by a guy in his basement working on a pc, given away for free. You can move it anywhere on the screen and it becomes visible only when there are cars in range. Too much to ask from the biggest franchise in sim racing I suppose.

Okay I don't know if he is really working out of his basement but you get the point. :D

If PD had a bullseye system like you are talking (and they should) that would mean their system would have to be more accurate and don't think they have it in them

A good start would be, if PD sets the radar as standard! Overtime you start a race, the radar is active. Maybe this would help some people not to ram others in the first corner!?

A good start would be, if PD sets the radar as standard! Overtime you start a race, the radar is active. Maybe this would help some people not to ram others in the first corner!?

Yes they need to re-design it so the Radar is always on and not part of the switchable options. That way you can change fuel mode without losing the radar whilst doing it and if more people notice other drivers with it on, that's a bonus too.

Rammers will ram,mistakes are gonna happen and radar "always" on will not change that.
I know some users have zero awareness and could benefit from using the radar option but still that will not be enough in order to experience way more clean races.
Some people need to start using the radar option but a lot of people need how to race online in a fair/clean manner.
In many cases,contact is not a result of not using the radar-thats my point anyway- .

I agree with OP and this. Using the radar is IMO definitely a must for Sport Mode races. However, I also agree that the zone the radar covers is too small and could be improved.

Back