Ford Focus - Fourth Generation

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 129 comments
Looks good enough, if a little conservative. Should make for good hot models, though. The only one that looks odd in my eyes is the wagon, thanks to that expanse of flat metal under the headlights.

It's hard to think that two decades ago, the original was such a game-changer.

Very vanilla... imho... looks a lot like the previous generation Mazda 3 hatch with some new lighting and detail work.

I remember the original... I actually had one, that one was more of an event at launch time, this one could easily be forgotten in the masses of "look a like", "cookie cutter" designs out there. Ford is not alone here...

Agree with you @SlipZtrEm , the wagon looks a bit weird in the front. I'm a big wagon lover and hope that they bring it to NA so I can see it in the flesh.

I like it and it does look better than the Focus I had a few years back. It does look a little on the generic side, but I'm guessing due to aerodynamics it's hard to make a wild looking car now days.

I'm glad they ditched the dual-clutch transmission, it was god awful and caused my Focus to be in the dealer way too often. I think it went through 3 transmissions during the time I had it.

I do wonder if they are planning an AWD system for the Active. If they are targeting active lifestyle people who buy Subaru's then it seems like AWD should be something they need to consider, even if it's just a token AWD system where 95% of the power goes to the front wheels.

I see Audi A5 (headlights), Mazda 3 (side profile), BMW 1/2 series (rear windows and bumper design on the St Line), Generic Korean mid-size car (tail lights) and Mercedes (lower body crease).

I was a fan of the MK3 Focus but I'm not feeling this at all. That said I was sceptical of the MK8 Fiesta and that's really warmed on me.

I do wonder if they are planning an AWD system for the Active. If they are targeting active lifestyle people who buy Subaru's then it seems like AWD should be something they need to consider, even if it's just a token AWD system where 95% of the power goes to the front wheels.
In order for the Active to actually give the Subaru XV Crosstrek a run for its money, AWD is a must have. Ford not giving it AWD would just make the whole idea a waste of time and resources.

I'll say that it does look nicer, slimmer, more athletic than the current model. But it also looks more derivative. Kinda looks Korean to my eyes.

I actually kinda like the styling, though I would have changed the headlights if it were up to me. The car's styling looks more like a mesh of other hatchbacks from Kia, Mazda, and Opel with a slight hint of BMW 1-series.

Look out, Thor's Hammer...
Volvo-V90-Thors-Hammer-headlamp-at-2016-Geneva-Motor-Show.jpg

Because now there's...

2019_ford_focus_1522844105_800x600.jpg

...uh.

...Farmer's Hoe.

I was hoping for something more striking, and a bit more "Bold" as Ford (US) would like to say, but this is about as Vanilla as it gets. What I like, Ford isn't using the gaping maw designs that other manufacturers are using. But the car is so plain. Even the ST-Line is tame looking. Couple this with the equally depressing engine choices announced so far, and I think Ford is going to have a problem selling these in the US.

I was hoping for something more striking, and a bit more "Bold" as Ford (US) would like to say, but this is about as Vanilla as it gets. What I like, Ford isn't using the gaping maw designs that other manufacturers are using. But the car is so plain. Even the ST-Line is tame looking. Couple this with the equally depressing engine choices announced so far, and I think Ford is going to have a problem selling these in the US.

Seems to be the direction Ford is taking style-wise. The new Fiesta ST is very plain looking compared to the outgoing one.

Seems to be the direction Ford is taking style-wise. The new Fiesta ST is very plain looking compared to the outgoing one.

Yeah, this is part of the reason why I prefer the Mk7 ST to the new one. The old model has a more pronounced bodykit while the new ST looks virtually identical to the ST-Line, just with a reshaped diffuser.

I'm hoping the new Focus ST has more distinctive features. I'm not expecting "Civic Type-R" levels of crazy, but some additional flares in the bumpers and skirts would be appreciated.

As a Mazda 3 owner, wouldn't you appreciate that?
Yes and no.

The Focus looks nicer with the vague Mazda resemblance, but it kind of feels like it's aping a successful design language.
Plus I have a personal issue with Focuses after test driving a 2016 Sport trim

Doesn't look amazing, but it still looks better than the 2nd generation Focus.

Those were some dire days...

The facelift massively improved things though
FordFocus1207_794_529_70.jpg

Same can actually be said about the Mk3.

The facelift massively improved things though
FordFocus1207_794_529_70.jpg

Same can actually be said about the Mk3.
My rebuttal to that is, basically, the Mk3 already looked good from the off, and seemed to carry some design inspiration from the Mk1 - an aggressive design, but still utilitarian without being boring.

The Mk2, and all Fords for the most part from that part of the early 2000s, carried a depressingly boring design language that led to some cars being straight up forgotten. Ford Fusion, anyone?
And even though the facelift kinda improved stuff at the front, making it look a bit more aggressive, it still looks dull from the A-pillar and back.

I remember the Mk1 vividly. I remember the Mk3 reasonably well. The Mk2 is just boring.

Doesn't look amazing, but it still looks better than the 2nd generation Focus.

Those were some dire days...

You think that's plain, have you seen what Ford did on this side of the Atlantic? We had the MK1 zombified until 2011...

In 2005 we got this facelift.
234436.jpg

In 2008 "Bold Moves" happened and...
2008-ford-focus-se-photo-197395-s-1280x782.jpg

And I had both. Of course they were the 2 door variants, but still we had the husk of the MK1 while the world moved on to bigger and better Foci.

With the new car and the announcement that the US is getting the China produced Focus, it seems that history is about to repeat. I'm doing my best to quiet my inner Chicken Little, but it's proving to be a very difficult task.

That’s actually a very clean design though. Definitely my favourite Focus so far.
I'll second that. A silver one drove by my house this morning. a Lexus dealer is up the road from me. I thought it was the 200H(?) at first glance. But the taillights looked really nice. Nice flat profile. Has some class to it in that hue and looks more upscale than Mazda 3.

Back