Ford Focus - Fourth Generation

• Thread starter FT-1
  • 129 comments
Focus ST spotted:

Ford-Focus-ST-Scoop-03.jpg

Ford-Focus-ST-Scoop-05.jpg

Ugh, the new Focus ST seems to be following in the same suit as the Mk8 Fiesta ST. I hope I am wrong, but I can't see many lines that differ from the Focus ST-Line other than the rear diffuser. The previous ST at least looked at bit edgier around the lower areas:
focus-st.jpg

I think the ST-Line looks decent as a performance trim, but an actual hot hatch should have some more distinctive styling features imo.

Ok, looks like I spoke too soon... Now the ST prototype has been spotted wearing a much meatier wing:
ford-focus-st-rs-spy-photo.jpg

ford-focus-st-rs-spy-photo.jpg

I don't know what to think of this car. I don't like but I definitely don't dislike it.

Last edited:
I saw one on the road leaving the dealership's estate in bright red ST line spec. It looked absolutely amazing.

I saw my first fourth generation Focus today. I didn't even know they were already available.

Last edited:
I guess the closest way I'll get to enjoy a regular Focus 4th Gen hatch would be to get the active and lower it.

A 4th gen is up at a Ford dealer close to where I work. It's so bland I had to take a second look as I was walking by on lunch break.

The ST might, eh? They've got to have sporty versions of *some* cars at least. The ST and RS have sold rather well compared to the competition, and keeping them in the lineup would be a good idea, even if just alongside higher-riding versions.

The ST might, eh? They've got to have sporty versions of *some* cars at least. The ST and RS have sold rather well compared to the competition, and keeping them in the lineup would be a good idea, even if just alongside higher-riding versions.

Yes, but you're being rational. But Ford has already made it clear the new Focus is not coming to the US. Neither is the Fiesta. I would absolutely buy the new Fiesta ST if they brought it.

Yes, but you're being rational. But Ford has already made it clear the new Focus is not coming to the US. Neither is the Fiesta. I would absolutely buy the new Fiesta ST if they brought it.
The Fiesta I can understand because it sells less than the Focus, and the Fiesta ST is a pretty rare sight everywhere I've been. The Focus is anything but. If they don't bring any sporty cars they're going to lose all that marketing opportunity that brings people into the showroom.

The Fiesta I can understand because it sells less than the Focus, and the Fiesta ST is a pretty rare sight everywhere I've been. The Focus is anything but. If they don't bring any sporty cars they're going to lose all that marketing opportunity that brings people into the showroom.

Well their new CEO's only senior management experience (practically) has been selling furniture. Even as a fellow Michigan Alum, I can't get behind this guy. :lol:

But everyone wants SUV's! or do they think they want SUV's because that's all that's on offer :ill:

Nissan have been using this approach in Europe and it seems to be working. The only 'cars' they sell are the Micra (March), 370Z and GT-R. Everything else is an SUV or Crossover. They briefly offered the Pulsar (hatch version of the US Versa) but it didn't do well compared to the likes of the Focus and Golf.

(They also sell the Leaf, but that's a niche product in my eyes and not on the radar of most car buyers.)

I hate all these fauxX4's and am glad that there's still enough demand for 'cars' in Europe that they'll continue to be offered (that is until we're all forced to drive electric appliances)

VXR
I want a red ST, having been impressed by the red ST Line model.
The ST Line is great, I agree. Really neat handling and the new 3-cylinder feels just right.

I'm hoping the actual ST will be better than the last one. It felt like an unfinished product - mainly in the front suspension department, as it just couldn't handle the power Ford gave it. Had a reasonable chassis if you weren't sending power through it, and had plenty of power if you were going in a straight line, but any combination of the two wasn't great. I actually preferred the diesel, which didn't feel quite so overwhelmed.

The ST Line is great, I agree. Really neat handling and the new 3-cylinder feels just right.

I'm hoping the actual ST will be better than the last one. It felt like an unfinished product - mainly in the front suspension department, as it just couldn't handle the power Ford gave it. Had a reasonable chassis if you weren't sending power through it, and had plenty of power if you were going in a straight line, but any combination of the two wasn't great. I actually preferred the diesel, which didn't feel quite so overwhelmed.

My biggest problem with the previous FoST was the kind of clumsy/unergonomic feeling controls. The shifter isn't quite in the right place, the throws feel strangely 'tensioned', and the shifting motion feels obstructed by interior geometry. The pedals aren't quite in the position to heel-toe properly. The steering is remarkably fast (at least compared to what I'm used to) but feels disconnected. The sound is a little artificial and distant. The dashboard feels bulky and obtrusive. The seats do a great job of holding you in place, but they further hindered the ergonomics somehow.

When I drive a car, I want to feel like I can get right up it, so to speak. The FoST always felt like it was getting in the way. On the other hand, I do kind of admire it's sort of unruly feeling when manhandling it...this is perhaps amplified by the unergonomic controls.

Not that we'll get it, but I hope the new ST improves on the controls.

The steering is remarkably fast
This is one of my problems with a lot of modern performance cars in general. You'll be aware from your Boxster that feedback, precision and consistency are the most important characteristics of good steering and the ratio itself doesn't matter so much (by modern standards a 986's steering is fairly slow - but it also has far more feedback and better consistency than most modern cars). And you can generally get away with feedback provided the precision and consistency are there (feedback is nice to have, but not always essential).

Unfortunately a lot of modern stuff prioritises an ultra-quick ratio. MINIs are like this, the Alfa Giulia is like this, and Ferraris are too. I suspect the new Focus ST will be as well, because the new Fiesta ST is another car with ultra-quick steering. With that car I find that the nose responds out of proportion to how much steering input you use - it dives into a corner quickly but proportional extra steering movement doesn't result in proportionally more response.

Incidentally, I agree on the shifter placement and pedals of the last ST too. The new Focus seems to fix the former, but the pedals in the new ST Line I drove still weren't quite right for me to heel-toe.

Back