Ford planning LeMans Return + Ford GT revival

• Thread starter Slash
  • 824 comments
I'm all for Ford getting back into global endurance racing, and of course, rubbing it in Ferrari's nose once again. But, it worries me how they'd approach it. Ford had been saying for a while that they had planned on getting in LMP stuff, and then there was the Mustang GTE stuff (later dropped, sadly), and now this. Granted, I'd much rather have this than the other two, but man, they've got a lot on their plate when it comes to getting this *right*.

But hey, a production car out of it, too? That'd be great. Even if the Ford GT is still relevant, and still beautiful, and I still want one so, so, so much.

Returning to Le Mans with a GT car isn't quite the same as what it did in the mid sixties. A class win isn't the headline grabber that an overall LMP1 win would be. I watch a great deal of the 24hr TV footage and have done for years, but i haven't the foggiest who've won the GTE classes in recent times.

Cracker is right. It has to be LMP class or nothing. GTE won't make any headlines outside of motorsport circles, and not even that much within motorsport circles.

They can make a prototype and call it the LMP-Max.

As long as it has a thunderous V8, will kick the ass of any Ferrari it sees, and looks great, I'm happy.

But the V8 is a must IMO. Don't change tradition.

I probably suspect that if the new GT gets a V8, it'll be an Ecoboost hybrid rather than a supercharged one out of a truck.

If the GT GTE will have large Ecoboost text in it and knowing Ford's marketing right now it'll have one, it'd be almost as stupid as using it in naturally aspirated 5 liter V8 supercars Falcon.

I probably suspect that if the new GT gets a V8, it'll be an Ecoboost hybrid rather than a supercharged one out of a truck.
The supercharged 5.4L that was in the GT has literally no parts in common with the truck motor.

OH, how I hope to see another Ford GT soon.

Also, um, why hasn't Ford bothered making a sports car to compete with the Corvette again? Is it that they don't feel the need to, they don't think sports car buyers would be interested, or is it something else such as the market in general?

Returning to Le Mans with a GT car isn't quite the same as what it did in the mid sixties. A class win isn't the headline grabber that an overall LMP1 win would be. I watch a great deal of the 24hr TV footage and have done for years, but i haven't the foggiest who've won the GTE classes in recent times.

It seems to be working well for Corvette as they play it up every time they get a class win at Le Mans. I would also say that at least in the U.S. it's more of a headline grabber as the overall winner usually doesn't get more than a small picture and a caption, compared to when Corvette wins they get a small article (this is just based on what I've seen from the local paper, it could be different elsewhere).

OH, how I hope to see another Ford GT soon.

Also, um, why hasn't Ford bothered making a sports car to compete with the Corvette again? Is it that they don't feel the need to, they don't think sports car buyers would be interested, or is it something else such as the market in general?

I would love to see the GT compete with the Corvette performance and price wise, they can always have a higher performance version to get it into supercar levels.

Meh, it was a figure of expression. I still wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, though.

DK
Meh, it was a figure of expression. I still wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, though.

Yeah, pretty sure about that as well, it's a good way to advertise it. After all Audi is also advertising Audi Ultra and TDI with their R18's.

It seems to be working well for Corvette as they play it up every time they get a class win at Le Mans. I would also say that at least in the U.S. it's more of a headline grabber as the overall winner usually doesn't get more than a small picture and a caption, compared to when Corvette wins they get a small article (this is just based on what I've seen from the local paper, it could be different elsewhere).

Yeah, I guess that's fair enough.

But the Corvette is a relatively high volume seller. The previous GT was a low volume one off that Ford probably had no difficulty selling. If the new GT follows the same format then 'win on Sunday, sell on Monday' doesn't make financial sense. Corvettes wining probably sells Corvettes. Ford GTs winning is unlikely to have the same results with Focuses and Fiestas.

I'll love to see Fords return.

GTE wouldn't make much good as what other people stated but an EcoBoost LMP would do big favours.

Though I am a Holden fan in V8s if Ford went into LMP. I think I'll change from Audi to Ford for Le Mans.

Cracker is right. It has to be LMP class or nothing. GTE won't make any headlines outside of motorsport circles, and not even that much within motorsport circles.

Realistically, Sportscar Racing hardly makes headlines outside of Motorsport circles to begin regardless of class so I'm not so sure that's any better.

If the GT GTE will have large Ecoboost text in it and knowing Ford's marketing right now it'll have one, it'd be almost as stupid as using it in naturally aspirated 5 liter V8 supercars Falcon.
Though not as stupid as it being plastered all over any vaguely Ford related NASCAR announcement like it is.

Yeah... even if they were to join any LMP1 category, I'd be hard-pressed to see American engineers from Ford be able to meet the efficiency regulations with a V8, and not make the thing the size of an aircraft carrier..

Yeah... even if they were to join any LMP1 category, I'd be hard-pressed to see American engineers from Ford be able to meet the efficiency regulations with a V8, and not make the thing the size of an aircraft carrier..
They could ask help from some British engineers...

You guys are way underestimating the ability, ingenuity and talent of American engineers...

You guys are way underestimating the ability, ingenuity and talent of American engineers...
Maybe I am, but if I am wrong, why hasn't any of them got the balls to mock up something to get them out of the lull of American cars these days? Everything American's do nowadays is take something from someone else and put it in a different shape with a different name and call it amazing.

Chevy SS - Holden Commodore
Dodge Dart - Chrysler 200
Dodge Charger - Chrysler 300
Yes they are all from the same company, but that's the thing. It's boring like that. Who wants to buy an MKz when they can have a Fusion, the exact same car. Why buy any GMC, when Chevrolet offers the same thing at most times at a lower cost. Seriously, who would want to buy a Ford C-Max energi, when you could have a Volkswagen Passat that gets the same mpg for 11k cheaper.

No one is original. They all take orders. How are you to expect their racing to be any different? What they to do, ask Mazda to build the engine?

Latest Posts

Back