Formula 1 2009: The Launch Season

• Thread starter Metar
  • 601 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard something interesting about the Brawn GP car...

Like it's the finished race package and isn't running anything different to how it's going to turn up at Melbourne in a couple of weeks...
But is that a good or a bad thing? I suppose it could explain ther speed if everyone is running a more test-based setup, but I really hope not. It does sound too good to be true that they're doing so well, but I want a reason to support the underdog.

Also, McLaren have been experimenting with a cut floor too, another area where teams can change a bit, as the rules state something along the lines of "engine parts cannot be visible from underneath the car", which allows some cars to cut parts of their floor out for additional air flow. Not all teams can do this without massively changing their sidepods though.
The Brawn car can do it though I think.
deh0910ma96.jpg

I was hoping this would be posted here.

1236629142.jpg

The technical analysis by autosport mentions the downforce generated by the diffuser is from the "kick-line between the diffuser/floor" and leading edge, and by using this cut floor it would move the leading edge backwards hence the downforce more rearwards.

Pardon my ignorance, but I've only heard of the leading edge of a diffuser, which I've assumed to be the part where the curve begins. What is this kick-line ahead of the leading edge and can anyone explain how this cut floor would be able to move the downforce further back?

1236629142.jpg

The technical analysis by autosport mentions the downforce generated by the diffuser is from the "kick-line between the diffuser/floor" and leading edge, and by using this cut floor it would move the leading edge backwards hence the downforce more rearwards.

Pardon my ignorance, but I've only heard of the leading edge of a diffuser, which I've assumed to be the part where the curve begins. What is this kick-line ahead of the leading edge and can anyone explain how this cut floor would be able to move the downforce further back?

not sure what a kick-line is but it looks to not really move the downforce further back in the sence that your removing downforce from the front and moving it rearwards. instead just adding more down force to the back by adding another small wing/flap to the back of the car. or at least thats what im getting out of it.

but looking at the 2 pictures of the area it looks like the way its desinged would cause lift to me. also it looks like it would be pushing air under the rear tire which i think would cause a loss of traction. then that would also explain why the "wind" keeps causing hamilton to crash.

1236629142.jpg

Not Ignorant at all. I cannot vouch for complete veracity in this answer to your question (I'm only experienced at aerodynamics when applied to lift, downforce, while also working on the same formula, is confusing in an F1 car with so much aero), but I will try.
I believe that McLaren have created the leading edge (which is the term for the front edge of any aerofoil section) to create a flow into the diffuser or over the rear wing, clean up airflow over rear tyres, or create a minimal amount of induced drag and skien friction. I believe it is the last one
If air must follow a curve for a long time it will often develop a turbulent flow, whereas McLaren, by keeping this flow on small aerofoil sections, have kept a more laminar flow, allowing the airflow to move cleanly along the car, minimising induced drag.
Can people please correct (my knowledge is limited to pilot training, I'm no aerodynamicist) any mistakes in this explanation. This is my hypothesis, but I would like to know the actual reason... And please don't bash, I'm just trying to help...

I've heard something interesting about the Brawn GP car...

Like it's the finished race package and isn't running anything different to how it's going to turn up at Melbourne in a couple of weeks...

This information has come from someone who, until about 10 minutes ago, I didn't know works, shall we say, "in that field".

Craig Scarborough, RCE reporter, confirmed the same, and it makes sense - by now, cars need to be as finalized as possible, since they don't want nasty surprises of parts not bringing a benefit on a Friday.

I don't quite understand the complete details on this part, but a lot of it has to do with the interactions between the floor and the rotating wheel, creating small amounts of downforce - but truly negligible drag considering the drag created by the wheel.

Interesting, the minimal drag penalty you all note is also mentioned by autosport. This scan is of the F2007 in Giorgio Piola's Technical Analysis book and I'm trying to see if this might shed any light on where this "kick-line" is as mentioned in the article and how the re-designed floor would move the downforce rearwards - something I suspect McLaren need in their car more than most.

By the way,This is the autosport article

scan2.jpg

Have to remember that the diffuser starts at the rear wheel centreline this year so it would be further back than the pic and the designs will obviously be different.

Actually, I'dsay they'd be in about the same position if Newey were still with them as he traditionally takes a whle to get his hea around the new regulations.

You mean like 1998? ;)

I thought the awesome-ness about Newey was that he's best in large regulation changes rather than small ones...hence why the Red Bull looks great.

Actually, I'dsay they'd be in about the same position if Newey were still with them as he traditionally takes a whle to get his hea around the new regulations.

His reputation is almost the opposite. He’s a genius and you can count on him to come up with ideas no one else has. As long as you have someone to keep him on a leash and make it all nice and workable (Geoff Willis), it should be a pretty good car.

I think McLaren’s strength is in its depth though, so losing someone like Newey probably isn’t a problem for them at all. That said, if their performance is rubbish this year then that could be very debatable, because this would be the first car that isn't building on the principles of Newey’s MP4/20 (at least not so much).

His reputation is almost the opposite. He’s a genius and you can count on him to come up with ideas no one else has. As long as you have someone to keep him on a leash and make it all nice and workable (Geoff Willis), it should be a pretty good car.
The way I've always seen it is that the first car he produces under new rules has been pretty conventional. It's the subsequent cars that have given him the reputation because he's familiar with the rules. But that's just the way I've seen it.

Oh my god. Just going over some photos from testing.

Hamilton MBE… seriously? You put that on the car?

W

T

F

Being a member in the Order of the British Empire is supposed to be a serious honor, right?

Last edited:
Yeah, but you don’t have to put it on the side of your car… I dunno, to me it just seems really wanky.

I dunno, to me it just seems really wanky.
Smae here. But given McLaren's performance in testing of late, they need all the help they can get in diverting attetnion away from it. Just so long as he doesn't appear on HAMILTON MBE on the timing sheets.

Doesn't he remember that Member of The Order of The British Order is the LOWEST honour the royals can bestow? Its still pretty damn good, but why publicise that you have the bottom of the line Porsche Boxter, not the S or a Cayman/911?

Because you don’t. :sly:

Well Argued! I was not intending to defame Hamilton: an MBE is still quite an acheivement. But it is like buying a 1.8 TT, and loving to tell people about it, until one day you are talking about your TT to someone and they say "Oh yes, I've got the 3.2. Lovely car eh? Which one do you have?" For the sake of Hamilton's ego, I hope that he doesn't have this happen...

That just adds to my dislike of hamilton, a reward that puts him on par with the english cricket players who scraped an ashes win once, and lost it 5-0 the year after.

Good stuff.

Doesn't he remember that Member of The Order of The British Order is the LOWEST honour the royals can bestow? Its still pretty damn good, but why publicise that you have the bottom of the line Porsche Boxter, not the S or a Cayman/911?
Because if you're nice, and keep getting your Boxter serviced at the Dealership, one day they might give you a huge discount on a Carrera GT?

And lets be fair, who doesn't want to have a few extra letters behind their name? Hell when I eventually get chartered I'm going to put CEng down everywhere, and damn what anyone says.

Doesn't he remember that Member of The Order of The British Order is the LOWEST honour the royals can bestow?

It's the lowest honour carrying the British Empire Medal (the others being Knight/Dame Grand Cross, Knight/Dame Commander, Commander and Officer), but not the lowest honour...

Famine MSc. BSc. (Hons), DofE (B), CLAIT

DofE?

CLAIT sounds like a nasty infection you might pick up in a red light district, and I don't mean a closed pit lane!

Duke of Edinburgh's Award.

Honestly, I don't see why it matters whether Hamilton chooses to use his MBE title or not. I find it more amusing that some find this arrogant in some way. Comparing it to owning lesser car models is a bad example, at least in the case of Porsche's.

That just adds to my dislike of hamilton, a reward that puts him on par with the english cricket players who scraped an ashes win once, and lost it 5-0 the year after.

Good stuff.

So they should have had their MBE's taken back? :D They had won the Ashes for the first time in 20 years, it was a fantastic achievement (scrape? Probably, but you don't thrash sides as good as that). Can't say I care in the slightest about these types of medals, but you can't berate someone for wanting to highlight their success.

yes, but I dont like hamilton :D

But on the side of your car? jeez :P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back