Formula 1 2016 Grand Prix Of Europe

Why is it not considered odd that Merc have all these special modes in the first place. The fact that they can tell Nico to stick in normal mode (which they said is good enough to still comfortably win) and they then have a boost mode for Lewis to help him pass more cars... do other cars have this?

Sorry late to the party but was watching Coldplay smash Wembley stadium yesterday and only watched race today.

Sky indicated something similar during and immediately after
Given their tone, I really read Mercedes' messages as a case of "keep your head and the solution will present itself", especially since Hamilton was audibly frustrated. I would be very curious to hear Rosberg's radio messages.

On the subject of radio messages, I have to say that I agree with David Croft - the swearing on the radio presents a really poor image. I can understand swearing in frustration, like Vettel in Sochi, but some of the stuff in Baku was completely unnecessary.

It's usually done to try to avoid it getting broadcast. If you say "Lets pit 5 laps earlier and try to jump driver in the pits", it'll get broadcast so everyone know what you're doing.
If you say "Lets ****ing box 5-****ing laps early to jump the **** in front", there's going to be less chance of it getting broadcast.

Surely Merc could have put Lewis' solution on a pitboard.

@Dotini I agree the teams should be able to tell drivers about slow punctures, so my reasoning was more based on why they aren't allowed to talk to them about something deep in the software. I get that safety is not a part of the software problem however.

Given their tone, I really read Mercedes' messages as a case of "keep your head and the solution will present itself", especially since Hamilton was audibly frustrated. I would be very curious to hear Rosberg's radio messages.

On the subject of radio messages, I have to say that I agree with David Croft - the swearing on the radio presents a really poor image. I can understand swearing in frustration, like Vettel in Sochi, but some of the stuff in Baku was completely unnecessary.

I got the same impression from the Mercedes messages and I'm not surprised Hamilton was getting frustrated by being batted away like that when faced with his problem. I've heard that the swearing was actually used previously by teams in order to stop FOM broadcasting them and giving their plans away!!!

They need to stick a few of these by the pit wall boxes, all teams must pay up per bleep.

514049496_o.jpg

A points deduction system or time penalties should also be put in place for the drivers for their individual bleep count.

:crazy: :lol:

I'd say that talking to the team that is currently the owner of the 2 best cars on the grid by a big margin and the reason you have won last 2 WDC like that is a risky business.
Lewis needs Merc more than Merc needs Lewis, OK for marketing a good looking black guy in F1 is great especially when he tries to look like an American rapper, but still.
Not saying for a second that what Lewis said would warrant a sacking, far from it, but they will always be bigger than the drivers teams like that.

The clue is in the name. Team radio. It's radio between the members of the team, they can say whatever they like with regards to language. I'm pretty sure they're all big enough not to get offended by their driver swearing. Broadcasting is secondary and it's up to FOM whether they want to play it.

Why is it not considered odd that Merc have all these special modes in the first place. The fact that they can tell Nico to stick in normal mode (which they said is good enough to still comfortably win) and they then have a boost mode for Lewis to help him pass more cars... do other cars have this?

Sorry late to the party but was watching Coldplay smash Wembley stadium yesterday and only watched race today.

Yes of course they all have it, why would it be odd? It's your engine, you can adjust it however you like as long as overall it adheres to the regulations. All these modes are doing is adjusting the power, the energy recovery, the harvesting, and so on.

EDIT: The drivers are behind Hamilton and Raikkonen:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-...dio-restrictions-branded-a-joke-as-drivers-r/

Last edited:
The clue is in the name. Team radio. It's radio between the members of the team, they can say whatever they like with regards to language. I'm pretty sure they're all big enough not to get offended by their driver swearing. Broadcasting is secondary and it's up to FOM whether they want to play it.

Yes of course they all have it, why would it be odd? It's your engine, you can adjust it however you like as long as overall it adheres to the regulations. All these modes are doing is adjusting the power, the energy recovery, the harvesting, and so on.

EDIT: The drivers are behind Hamilton and Raikkonen:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/formula-...dio-restrictions-branded-a-joke-as-drivers-r/

Even in 'normal' mode the Merc can easily win with Nico at the wheel, so how awesome must it be with the 'beast mode 'switched on! Just shows though without that Lewis or Nico would be with the rest of them scrabbling for 3rd's 4ths and such.
Had it have worked as planned Lewis would of finished 2nd possibly won even and people would be saying its proof he's the greatest ever and no mention of the special mode he used would ever of come out....

no mention of the special mode he used would ever of come out
Every engine has multiple modes and sub-modes. It's not something exclusive to Mercedes, though theirs may be more comprehensive than others teams' systems.

But I doubt Hamilton would have won, even with a fully-functional engine. For one, Rosberg's engine would have been equally-functional, but more importantly it's well-known that the car isn't great in traffic. It's designed to lead and win from the front; Hamilton would likely have had difficulty passing the Force India and Williams.

There's no way he would have pass Perez, he was just flying. He was just right on Perez ass tho, so he could probably have jumped Kimi without too much hassle if he didnt focus on trying to fix his car at all price. I think he lost of lot of time trying to find the mode, for 0.2sec it's a bit stupid imo. Definitely a GP to forget for him.

Great ride from Perez but he had the car to do it. Definitely the end of Hulkenberg chance to get in a big team I think.

He should have been up here with Perez.

Even in 'normal' mode the Merc can easily win with Nico at the wheel, so how awesome must it be with the 'beast mode 'switched on! Just shows though without that Lewis or Nico would be with the rest of them scrabbling for 3rd's 4ths and such.
Had it have worked as planned Lewis would of finished 2nd possibly won even and people would be saying its proof he's the greatest ever and no mention of the special mode he used would ever of come out....
No they wouldn't. Everyone knows the Merc is the best car and his previous recovery drives have also been put down mostly to the car.

Also they were trying to get back into a normal mode from an incorrect, power sapping mode.

This is why i'm a fan of F1 in general and fan of the teams and engineers, I watch it for the whole circus. You don't really know ever who is the most talented out there at any given time, I will say this they are ALL talented clearly that's not in question. But for example I don't think Button or Alonso have forgotten how to win the car just won't let them do it.

You still seem to be proceeding on the assumption that no other team uses different power rating modes... which is entirely incorrect.

Rosberg didn't need the mode from the start as he wasn't losing time through turbulent air.

The simple solution is to ban engine modes altogether, if the driver needs to save fuel or go faster, let their right foot decide how hard the engine works.

That said Hamilton should have been able to find a workaround the same as Rosberg without needing to be coached.

How are there no onboard laps done yet?
But I doubt Hamilton would have won, even with a fully-functional engine. For one, Rosberg's engine would have been equally-functional, but more importantly it's well-known that the car isn't great in traffic. It's designed to lead and win from the front; Hamilton would likely have had difficulty passing the Force India and Williams.

I don't get what people mean when they say this for front runners. Pretty sure no one designs cars with traffic in mind, they will always be less efficient in traffic. I think the only time it was ever close to right was the Red Bull in 2010 which was very aero sensitive to the point of visibly flexing in turbulent air and being prone to sudden snaps (see Vettel at Spa 2010).

I haven't seen that kind of sensitivity on any of the championship cars since. But the whole idea of a car not being great in traffic isn't something exclusive to front runners that find themselves outside of their comfort zone.

Baku: Prettier in an F1 round weekend apparently.

13502071_1192548854110351_7434799408438619433_n.jpg

I'd say this picture is a very accurate depiction of what Baku is. A facade for the country's dict... Eh... President, so him and the elite can pretend they live in a growing and prospering country. Reality is that most of the country's population live in poverty, never having reaped any benefit of the billions their government is making from the oil.

Yeah... I'm not a fan...

The simple solution is to ban engine modes altogether, if the driver needs to save fuel or go faster, let their right foot decide how hard the engine works.

That said Hamilton should have been able to find a workaround the same as Rosberg without needing to be coached.
Except the power units are far more complex these days, they are not merely engines and most aspects cannot be adjusted simply by the right foot.

I'd say this picture is a very accurate depiction of what Baku is. A facade for the country's dict... Eh... President, so him and the elite can pretend they live in a growing and prospering country. Reality is that most of the country's population live in poverty, never having reaped any benefit of the billions their government is making from the oil.

Yeah... I'm not a fan...
If the only countries that could host Grands Prix are countries that treat their citizens fairly and equally, then there would be no Grands Prix.

I suppose the one saving grace of Mercs utter dominance is that Lewis and Nico are so close, its not like a Vettel / Webber or Schumacher / Irvine / Rubens etc etc.
Now either that's because Nico is close to being one of the all time greats, or Lewis isn't as good as people like to think, cross where applicable, but either way those 2 being close and the simmering rivalry has helped a lot.

Latest Posts

Back