Formula 1 2016 Grand Prix Of Europe

On board lap taken a few months ago of the circuit. Although preparations weren't completely finished, it's a good reference for just how narrow some of the corners are.

Here is a Video of the Baku track on Rfactor, the track isn't the best but you can get an idea of how fast it will be with an F1 car:

the track is wider then this though and that car had too much downforce to be suitable for the straight but you can see this is a very fast track.

This look like a dangerous track, super long straight followed by wall aren't what I'm looking for after Barcelona on motogp, let's hope everything goes well

super long straight followed by wall aren't what I'm looking for after Barcelona on motogp
The key difference is that MotoGP riders are vulnerable perched on the back of a bike, whereas Formula One drivers are cocooned in carbon fibre. By your logic, every single track is dangerous because they all have fast sections and corners, and there are walls on the outside of those corners. Besides, Formula One circuits are usually built to a higher safety standard than MotoGP circuits. And besides, Salom's accident could have happened anywhere - he died because the bike was thrown in the air and landed on him.

No NASCAR Sprint Cup or IndyCar this week. So this will probably be the first time I'm gonna try to watch all the practice sessions.

I'm not really that interested in Le Mans... Or the WEC. I respect what they do, but I'm just not a big fan.

Edit: I watched a good amount of last years race because of the GT-R LM Nismo teams. But I didn't particularly enjoy it.

With the kerbs, the safety car can barely get by :eek:.

Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 1.44.10 PM.png

In some places it looks narrower than Monaco, going to be a few accidents I think...

It's a good job Nelson Piquet Jr isn't allowed in F1 any more...

I have been an advocate of Macau being added to F1 for years and all the usual comments come out...

"It's way too narrow"
"They only race in Monaco because of the heritage and would never agree to race on a newly added track that tight"
etc...

Well there you go folks, Baku was good enough for the FIA and it is just as windy and tight.

People love to sight that one hairpin in Macau but that can easily be fixed if the track was upgraded in preparation for F1. The track is like 7 lanes wide for 2/3 of the track! Funnily enough Baku is a lot like Macau in layout, it has the wide modern bits and the twisty old city bits.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back