Formula 1 Aramco Gran Premio De España 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 229 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
After two races at Silverstone, Formula 1 heads to the Corona-filled Catalonia region, back to Barcelona. The only circuit the cars all ran at before lockdown kinda ruined the championship, how will this go? A Spanish Grand Prix in August is likely to see temperatures soar - something which certainly made the last race interesting. The two Silverstone races were dominated by tyres - the first by the late punctures and the second by the softer tyres causing wear - both of which cost Mercedes points at the top. Max Verstappen drove out of his skin in the 70th Anniversary GP to beat both Mercedes on pure pace, can he do it again at the venue he scored his first win? We'll find out at the SPANISH GRAND PRIX!
image.png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
4.655km

Race Distance
307.104 km

Lap Record
1:18.441 Daniel Ricciardo (2018)

The second half of the lap is unfortunately terrible since the changes to the original layout. Are tyres going to be harder than last week?

You'd think the last 2 races would halt the "Mercedes 1-2 automatic/what a snooze" comments, but guess not.

To be fair, the first race at Silverstone was a snoozefest until the last laps.

And Barcelona does have the reputation to produce nothing.

You'd think the last 2 races would halt the "Mercedes 1-2 automatic/what a snooze" comments, but guess not.

There's always bad luck to disrupt an otherwise predictable result. It just seems to have been quite a long time since F1 didn't need influences outside of the drivers just racing, to consistently provide entertainment. Admittedly I don't follow it closely anymore but I don't recall reading how exciting a race was unless problems or weather are involved.

It's hot, but they're on harder tyres and this is a slower track with far fewer fast corners than Silverstone, so I'm banking more on driver error than driving conditions to make this interesting.

Barcelona is notorious for producing boring races. You cant follow closely and the track layout sucks.
.so yeah, MB 1-2 all day unless there's an incident

arg the fastest car usually wins what a boring sport why can't we have Williams win a race

Is like saying

arg this 97 bulls team is so boring Michael Jordan and Scottie just score all the points when are they gonna let Steve Kerr take 50 shots, basketball boring sport

Or

Arg this arsenal team is bs I'm so sick of seeing bergkamp pass to Henry, football boring sport

In all fairness, catalunya isn't great. I like the track but it doesn't produce great racing (for cars) very often.

However, if you're looking for the weekend most likely to infect another driver and shake up the grid, Corona-blasted Catalunya is a decent candidate.

Is like saying ... basketball boring sport ... football boring sport

Not really. Okay saying "Motorsport is boring sport" is like saying those things. But otherwise - there's about 380 games in a premiership season, even if a team was 100% dominant, fans of any other team are still going to see 90%* of matches won by a different team... I'm sure a similar thing is true in basketball.

*I don't follow diveball, my maths may be off.

Not really. Okay saying "Motorsport is boring sport" is like saying those things. But otherwise - there's about 380 games in a premiership season, even if a team was 100% dominant, fans of any other team are still going to see 90%* of matches won by a different team... I'm sure a similar thing is true in basketball.

*I don't follow diveball, my maths may be off.
Diveball, there's an expression that takes me back to childhood...

You raise a good point, but I'd guess you get what I'm getting at, even if I didn't get at it very well.

This track anoys me, if they made T1 into a hairpin passing would exist.

Its been the problem with this track since creation, T1 is stupid.

This track anoys me, if they made T1 into a hairpin passing would exist.

Its been the problem with this track since creation, T1 is stupid.

I'm sure overtaking was more of a thing before they put the silly chicane in at the end of the lap.

I'm sure overtaking was more of a thing before they put the silly chicane in at the end of the lap.
Well no, the final two corners meant nobody could follow, so they put the chicane in to try and force the drivers to have a slow bit to increase the chances of racing. Unfortunately, it was so clunky and awful, nobody could follow through the turn before, nobody could pass into the chicane and the final corners required front wing downforce which you lose by following another car. So it was an attempt, but a bloody awful one, to try and encourage passing at the track. They just needed to make the final turn a simple, tighter 90-degree corner and it would have worked.

Well no, the final two corners meant nobody could follow, so they put the chicane in to try and force the drivers to have a slow bit to increase the chances of racing. Unfortunately, it was so clunky and awful, nobody could follow through the turn before, nobody could pass into the chicane and the final corners required front wing downforce which you lose by following another car. So it was an attempt, but a bloody awful one, to try and encourage passing at the track. They just needed to make the final turn a simple, tighter 90-degree corner and it would have worked.

I thought it was because of safety concerns. The last corner was very fast.

I think the layout was nice, you cant keep butchering tracks so that they're just homogenous sprints towards hairpins to accommodate cars that can't pass.

Last edited:
Last sector would of been fine if they made the chicane similar to Suzuka's, T1 still needs to be a hairpin though IMO.

The last chicane now is probably the worst part of a track in the F1 Calendar (well especially this year).

I remember the reasoning being to increase overtaking initially. They probably threw in safety purposes after it didn't accomplish that. :lol:

Albon is so bad in a flying lap, my god.

It's something he really needs to improve on because his bad run of quali's is really costing him points come race day.

That being said, after watching both Gasly and Albon handle the Red Bull, I'm starting to think that RB is basically just on par with a McLaren or a Renault. But Max has such a good feel for that machine that he's able to take it, wind the piss out of it, and really take it way beyond its typical operating window. He's consistently 0.7 - 0.8 up on whoever his teammate is.

Back