Formula 1 Aramco Gran Premio De España 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 229 comments
What are everyone's thoughts on the potential power mode ban? For me I would rather see everyone qualify literally as fast as they possibly can... However should only the teams with the larger budgets have it available?

I like it, although I don't think it will change much anyway.

What about the effect in racing when trying to pass or hold off another driver though? I guess the rule will affect everyone equally if it comes to pass...

What are everyone's thoughts on the potential power mode ban? For me I would rather see everyone qualify literally as fast as they possibly can... However should only the teams with the larger budgets have it available?
To quote myself from another thread:

To be honest, the million different combinations of engine modes are stupid. The FIA just needs to be strong with the teams and say "you can have 5 engine modes. No more, no less". Let the teams declare what those modes are to the scrutineers at the beginning of the season like the gear ratios and be done with it.

It seems like an odd decision to change this mid-season, but we'll see what happens to Mercedes in Q2 at Spa. That's when they always turn it up and suddenly go a second faster than anyone else on the medium tyres too, so if that doesn't happen and the others are closer, we'll know it has actually had an effect.

To quote myself from another thread:

To be honest, the million different combinations of engine modes are stupid. The FIA just needs to be strong with the teams and say "you can have 5 engine modes. No more, no less". Let the teams declare what those modes are to the scrutineers at the beginning of the season like the gear ratios and be done with it.

It seems like an odd decision to change this mid-season, but we'll see what happens to Mercedes in Q2 at Spa. That's when they always turn it up and suddenly go a second faster than anyone else on the medium tyres too, so if that doesn't happen and the others are closer, we'll know it has actually had an effect.

Five is too much. Give 'em 3. Race, Fuel Save, Safety Car. Done. Need to make the cars more analog in my opinion.

I agree this sort of thing should not be changed mid season, the engineering regs politics this year has been quite bitchy to say the least...

However should only the teams with the larger budgets have it available?

That's the bit I don't quite understand - it's up to the engine manufacturers to deliver an engine that's competitive in every way. Teams that are negatively affected by this are really being affected by competition between manufacturers that they have might have nothing to do with other than buying an engine.

Last edited:
It's something he really needs to improve on because his bad run of quali's is really costing him points come race day.

That being said, after watching both Gasly and Albon handle the Red Bull, I'm starting to think that RB is basically just on par with a McLaren or a Renault. But Max has such a good feel for that machine that he's able to take it, wind the piss out of it, and really take it way beyond its typical operating window. He's consistently 0.7 - 0.8 up on whoever his teammate is.
Save for Danny Ric

It's something he really needs to improve on because his bad run of quali's is really costing him points come race day.

That being said, after watching both Gasly and Albon handle the Red Bull, I'm starting to think that RB is basically just on par with a McLaren or a Renault. But Max has such a good feel for that machine that he's able to take it, wind the piss out of it, and really take it way beyond its typical operating window. He's consistently 0.7 - 0.8 up on whoever his teammate is.

To be fair to Albon, taking last quali at Silverstone he was 0.493 sec behind Max. On a track with 9 corners* that's only 0.055 loss per corner. It's not much, but over a whole lap it adds up. Albon isn't a bad driver by any means but Max is just one of those special breeds that comes once every generation like Senna/Schumi/Hamilton in terms of raw pace. Also it made me appreciate how good Ricciardo really is and how much RB messed up by not convincing him enough to stay.

*Not counting T1/2/5, Copse and Maggots as they're pretty much flat out these days.

Not every kid is talented enough to race at the top.

What might easily beat a midfield Team mate can get destroyed by the best on the grid.

Because Redbull refuses to use drivers it's not connected to, it has the risk of putting drivers that are just not ready for that kind of challenge yet.

I think Red Bull did themselves a massive disservice when they let Ricciardo go. Aside from really pushing and challenging Max, he's been the only RB driver able to fight at the front for podiums and not relagated to "finish at least P4 in every race" which is quickly becoming the expectation with Albon. Not taking away anything from him though, he's putting up a good fight showing that he has the drive to fight for position but he's is just not in the same league, certainly when compared to Max.

I'm trying not too read too much into those RP time but if they keep that up, surely that will mix things up at the front!

Damn, Vettel out of Q2 by .002 of a second. That is a noticeable improvement, though. Looks like the new chassis is one puzzle piece filled.

The ban on qualifying party modes can't come soon enough. Everything is tight and interesting until the Mercs cross the line and then it's near a full second to the next team. Every time. Enough is enough. This isn't "well the other teams should build a faster car".

looks like the mercs can get their power down with the better tyre compounds... Albon struggling a second off Max...

The ban on qualifying party modes can't come soon enough. Everything is tight and interesting until the Mercs cross the line and then it's near a full second to the next team. Every time. Enough is enough. This isn't "well the other teams should build a faster car".

Its likely removing party mode will hurt the chasing pack more than the mercs (the commentary team mentioned the mercs run one engine mode) be interesting to see if this is true Q3 at Spa... You cant hate on a team for being fastest the cream rises to the top...

Do they, though?

Not if you're ferrari lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m not sure what it is, but this has so far been the most demoralising season under the Mercedes domination.

Bottas nearly had him, he just slightly overcooked his tyres going into Sector 3.

Verstappen 7 tenths up on Albon.

Latest Posts

Back