Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix Under Threat as McLaren Withdraws

So basically the best case scenario is that the race goes ahead as a non- championship even and worst case the race will be cancelled completely. Wouldn't be fair on McLaren for it to continue as a championship event due to the ramifications of not being able to score any points.

So basically the best case scenario is that the race goes ahead as a non- championship even and worst case the race will be cancelled completely. Wouldn't be fair on McLaren for it to continue as a championship event due to the ramifications of not being able to score any points.
At the moment, the race is still on. McLaren chose to withdraw, and as Ross Brawn said a couple of weeks ago, it would not hold a race that a team was prevented from going to but would still hold one if a team opted not to.

Should more teams withdraw, the F1 will be left choosing between at least postponing the race, or doing an Indianapolis 2005.

At the moment, the race is still on. McLaren chose to withdraw, and as Ross Brawn said a couple of weeks ago, it would not hold a race that a team was prevented from going to but would still hold one if a team opted not to.

Should more teams withdraw, the F1 will be left choosing between at least postponing the race, or doing an Indianapolis 2005.

Hope it doesn't come to an indy '05 scenario that would be detrimental to the sport if that were to happen.

By mid-way through the year the season will probably be called off. I just watched a late night show segment and they said they're not having audiences for the foreseeable future. They're all in NYC or LA so it makes sense for them but with NBA suspending the entire season it's only a matter of time before baseball and other things follow

Here in Germany, the DEL (icehockey league) did the same. No playoffs this year! No champion as well.

Smart Choice if if ask me...
The Bundesliga (Football or Soccer for the US guys) also had their first game without Fans/Audience.

fwiw, McLaren withdrew from the race because a team member (not a driver) tested positive for Covid-19... They didn't withdraw as a precaution, or because of potential risk. I think that's a responsible move by McLaren. I think other teams will have a re-think about participating.

Will be interesting to see what the FiA do in the next 24-36 hours. . .

The Australian Grand Prix is still happening apparently.

Money over everything I guess...

Edit: Now there's conflicting reports between Sky & BBC. What a mess.

Last edited:
BBC are reporting that the event has, or will be called off. They're quoting two senior F1 personnel as the source.

I'm fairly sure that we'll get an official statement pretty soon to say that the race had been cancelled. To push ahead with the race at this point would be irresponsible IMO.

Here in Germany, the DEL (icehockey league) did the same. No playoffs this year! No champion as well.

Same for the Slovak Extraliga, the national ice hockey competition. Cancelled. Done. No winner this year.

BBC are reporting that the event has, or will be called off. They're quoting two senior F1 personnel as the source.

I'm fairly sure that we'll get an official statement pretty soon to say that the race had been cancelled. To push ahead with the race at this point would be irresponsible IMO.

Listings removed from SKY UK, its off FFS :banghead::mad:

From what I've heard Liberty are in a game of chicken with the race organisers who can sue for breach of contract if Liberty blink first. However, Liberty might also have insurance to cover them if enough teams pull out.

Speaking of pulling out, Seb and Kimi have flown home.

DK
From what I've heard Liberty are in a game of chicken with the race organisers who can sue for breach of contract if Liberty blink first.

ES8QXPdXgAEAWyW

I just heard on in radio that the race will go ahead but with no crowd.
@GlamFM is right, it's been canceled.

I'm watching the telecast now and Supercars should be qualifying now but they're all millimg round unsure of what's going on for them too.

If the Italian teams return to Italy, will they even be allowed to reëxit Italy, given the lockdown?

If the Italian teams return to Italy, will they even be allowed to reëxit Italy, given the lockdown?
I'm 99% sure that no one is allowed to fly from Australia to Italy, so they might be stuck here?

I'm 99% sure that no one is allowed to fly from Australia to Italy, so they might be stuck here?
I think that maybe for us to go there as tourists.

They got a special dispensation to fly in, perhaps the same will happen for them to fly home. There's also the possibility of taking a less direct route through a country that would allow them to fly in.

My disappointment is immeasurable and my day is ruined.:irked: 2020 is cancelled everyone, let's just pack up and go home. Then again, the teams shouldn't have been able to turn up in the first place. All sport is in jeopardy now, not just motorsport and it sucks. We are literally being held to ransom by this new virus, and people are panicking. I wanted to see the GP on Sunday as I've never done it before, but now it won't happen. All that hype for nothing.

Back