Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2022Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 173 comments
Makes Brazil look even dumber for RB now.
Kind of; had they swapped, Perez would have gained two points, so still lost by one.

Final FACC, pending any penalties for people running out of fuel:

1 - Red Bull - 380
2 - Mercedes - 367
3 - Ferrari - 285
4 - McLaren - 199
5 - Alpine - 197
6 - Aston Martin - 184
7 - Haas - 139
8 - Alfa Romeo - 123
9 - AlphaTauri - 109
10 - Williams - 82

Red Bull has still never scored a 1-2...

Last edited:
The point total makes that irrelevant.
Creates a different mindset, less pressure, happier Checo. Yeah the total negates it now but in reality Checos weekend would have been vastly different.

Oh my, the boos and whistles are... wow. Local fans feeling cheated from last season?

Still not cool.

Meh race, glad this season is finally over though. I’m going to miss Seb but I’m very much looking forward to Alonso and Stroll as team mates. I also can’t wait to see who finishes P2 in the wdc, so exciting.

Last edited:
Fitting end to a rather uncompetitive season. I don’t expect much improvement until the regulations change again.

Last edited:
Fitting end to a rather uncompetitive season. I don’t expect much improvement until the regulations change again.
Best hope is if Merc really have understood where they went wrong.

Ferrari are always gonna Ferrari.

Well done for keeping that P2 Charles....good race. Will miss seeing Vettel on the grid.

Glad this season is done! Let's see if there's more competition next season.

Congrats to Zhou on winning the ultra-competitive race for 2022 F1 Rookie of the Year.

This is also how I feel sadly, looks like we have another dominant era coming up.

Talking points at the end of 2022:
  • There are now two records that remain shared between Hamilton and Schumacher: Number of titles, and number of season with at least one win
  • Alpine needs to work on their reliability
  • So does Perez
  • Max meanwhile needs to work on his maturity
  • Ferrari can be glad to keep second in the constructors championship...nearly lost it.
  • Alfa Romeo and Aston Martin finished 2022 level on points, but the former takes it thanks to Bottas' P5 in Imola.

Good riddance to a forgettable season. After last year's whatever you want to call it and this wet fart of a season my personal excitement for this sport isn't very high right now. Hopefully this isn't a preview of years to come.

Finale settled into a bit of a snoozer.

Something something 15th win.

Congrats to Charles on his 2nd in the WDC. Was fine with either him or Checo getting it.

Glad Vettel got some points. Peace out, yo.

Congrats to Haas on their 8th in the WCC. I was surprised by their decision to sign Hulk, and am curious to see how he and KMag get on next year.

I can't be too sad with Ricciardo and Mick leaving. They underwhelmed all season.

Season felt overly long and too short. Can't tell if I want 2023 to hurry up or wait.

I wonder who's going to take Latifi's place as the GOAT...

Here's a gif of Milana Vayntrub:

milana-vayntrub-werewolves-within.gif

Ferrari blew lots of wins with horrible strategy and mistakes. Mercedes was god awful most of the season and should be better next year.

Both teams will have more development time than Redbull too due to their standings.

Ferrari blew lots of wins with horrible strategy and mistakes. Mercedes was god awful most of the season and should be better next year.

Both teams will have more development time than Redbull too due to their standings.
I don't think this season has been bad at all. It has shown the regulations have done a majority of their job in allowing cars to follow closer, which was the main aim. The first season of new regs is always a tough one as teams have different ideas and no idea of what each other is doing, a few philosophies will emerge and will bring the field closer naturally. Look at 2009 vs 2012 for example.

Merc, Mclaren, Aston all went in the wrong direction with their general philosophy, 2 of them made big changes during the season, but never eradicated their underlying issues and Mercedes problems are well documented. Ferrari need more reliability which will also help Haas and Alfa, Alpine need the same but have a good platform.

Plus, teams will have run out of money to make the changes they may have wanted, particularly in the 2nd half of the season, now they'll have the chance to shove the cars and engines in the direction they want and make a big difference to their fortunes. Factor in Red Bulls penalty on wind tunnel and CFD in addition to them already having the least due to their success and other teams have opportunities to close that gap.

In other words, I won't judge these regulations fully until at least the end of next season.

Bottom line is RB has a massive straight-line speed advantage without a corresponding dropoff in handling. In addition, they are a unabashed 1-driver team.
Assuming Mercedes and Ferrari do catch up over the off-season and RB stays absolutely unchanged (with all 3 scenarios happening together unlikely) LeClerc v. Sainz and Hamilton v. Russell will play right into RB’s hands as they have no such intra-team worries.

Bottom line is RB has a massive straight-line speed advantage without a corresponding dropoff in handling. In addition, they are a unabashed 1-driver team.
Assuming Mercedes and Ferrari do catch up over the off-season and RB stays absolutely unchanged (with all 3 scenarios happening together unlikely) LeClerc v. Sainz and Hamilton v. Russell will play right into RB’s hands as they have no such intra-team worries.
They'll always play the team game whole they're playing catch up. Intra team battles will only become an issue when titles are on the line. And it's more of an issue for Ferrari than Mercedes.

The biggest thing alongside reliability, for Ferrari, is strategy and certain personnel. I wouldn't be surprised to see some restructuring and new appointments at Ferrari over the off season.

I don't think this season has been bad at all.
As a neutral I've enjoyed many of the races as standalone events. Some were duds, and obviously the overall championship was a dud but the new regs provided good racing at many tracks. If anyone thinks this season was outright boring they either root for a driver that didn't do well and are being biased or weren't around for much of the 2000s or other dull eras.

Just gonna leave this here. I know its 2 different situations and one is hypothetical, but Sergio must be going into winter wondering whether its even worth staying to be a glorified puppet.

Just gonna leave this here. I know its 2 different situations and one is hypothetical, but Sergio must be going into winter wondering whether its even worth staying to be a glorified puppet.

Barrichello lasted 5 years. It's called $$$

Barrichello lasted 5 years. It's called $$$
He at least had a chance to go on and do other things afterwards, including almost winning the title with Brawn. Plus, he was signed, unequivocally, as a 2nd driver. Yes, everyone knows Perez would be no. 2 to Max but RB made so much about that not being the case through the first part of this season and last season (easier to say last season as he wasn't close to Verstappen at all).

One thing they mentioned on Sky is Max finished 146 points ahead, which is behind the record set by Vettel in 2013 of 155 points.

How quickly Max forgets the defense Sergio put up in last year's race for him. That said I'm not sure if would be the smartest play for RB as the DRS was pretty strong. There would be a chance of Leclerc passing Max. But that is not what Max said.

Back