Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2022Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 173 comments

Just gonna leave this here. I know its 2 different situations and one is hypothetical, but Sergio must be going into winter wondering whether its even worth staying to be a glorified puppet.

To be fair to him I don't think trying that at the new version of the track would've worked the same as it has in the past anyway.

People expecting Max to drop that far back to help Checo is pretty amusing tbh.

Last edited:
To be fair to him I don't think trying that at the new version of the track would've worked the same as it has in the past anyway.
It worked well enough when Verstappen was the beneficiary from Perez holding up Hamilton for several laps (although it wouldn't have done so ultimately had the race director not made up new rules on the fly).

It worked well enough when Verstappen was the beneficiary from Perez holding up Hamilton for several laps (although it wouldn't have done so ultimately had the race director not made up new rules on the fly).
It worked in delaying, it didn't ultimately work in terms of keeping them behind entirely as it had in the past. VER wouldn't have wanted to risk being overtaken by LEC just to help PER get something ultimately pointless.

It worked in delaying, it didn't ultimately work in terms of keeping them behind entirely as it had in the past. VER wouldn't have wanted to risk being overtaken by LEC just to help PER get something ultimately pointless.
On the flip side, Verstappen winning the race was ultimately pointless; he already has the title and the wins and points record for a single season and there was no risk for him in that regard.

Unless he's still got that massive Hamilton-shaped chip on his shoulder (which certainly seemed to be the case in that qualifying weirdness) and can only see it as another notch towards the 100+ win record Hamilton has rather than something of benefit to the team.

Red Bull has, incidentally, never achieved a 1-2, which is I'm sure a record it would have liked to get rid of... Still, there's always next season.

Last edited:
On the flip side, Verstappen winning the race was ultimately pointless; he already has the title and the wins and points record for a single season and there was no risk for him in that regard.

Unless he's still got that massive Hamilton-shaped chip on his shoulder (which certainly seemed to be the case in that qualifying weirdness) and can only see it as another notch towards the 100+ win record Hamilton has rather than something of benefit to the team.

Red Bull has, incidentally, never achieved a 1-2, which is I'm sure a record it would have liked to get rid of... Still, there's always next season.
Well, he's a racing driver. He's always gonna want to win.

Well, he's a racing driver. He's always gonna want to win.
I don't think anyone would accuse Michael Schumacher of not being a racing driver. In fact he was one of the most ruthless ever.

He still helped his team-mate secure second as soon as he was done winning his own title, if he could.

Full transparency: I maybe saw 1 full race this season, and I’m certainly biased against some drivers on the grid so take my opinion as you will: Closer racing seems like a very small victory when the championship was effectively over after the summer break. If F1 only has a proper championship battle every 7 years that’s not exactly exciting.

I remember F1 had a season where 8 different drivers won the first 8 races. I look forward to that happening again.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Perez still be second had Verstappen not been an absolute ass last week?

“You also don’t want to end up… of course you can possibly block, but is that fair racing?"

Was it fair racing when Red Bull told Checo to give up 1st place for you? Checo didn't think so & still played ball.

Last edited:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't Perez still be second had Verstappen not been an absolute ass last week?
He got 6 points in Brazil for P7 and is now 3 Poins behind Leclerc. Max got 8 Points for P6. Even with FLAP in Brazil an another +1 Point Leclerc would have been in front due to more wins while both on the same point standings.

Last edited:
People expecting Max to drop that far back to help Checo is pretty amusing tbh.
It literally would've been the least Max could do for his teammate who played a very significant role in helping Max win both his titles. It's not like anybody was asking Max to potentially give up the win.

Goodness knows that it would've been excellent PR, not just for Red Bull getting a 1-2 in the WDC, but also to take some attention away from Max's little episode last week.

I like to see Lewis do a full year of shenanigans. Just to screw with everyone's race, and having a silly excuse every race.

It literally would've been the least Max could do for his teammate who played a very significant role in helping Max win both his titles. It's not like anybody was asking Max to potentially give up the win.

Goodness knows that it would've been excellent PR, not just for Red Bull getting a 1-2 in the WDC, but also to take some attention away from Max's little episode last week.
No, expecting a driver to risk a win to secure a meaningless second place for his under performing team mate is just being delusional. Everybody seems to forget about Leclerc who fullly deserves his spot in the WDC, certainly more than Perez.

“Risk a win” for a guy who has the WCC & WDC wrapped up is a stretch though I agree with the idea of backing up Charles a poor one.

“Risk a win” for a guy who has the WCC & WDC wrapped up is a stretch though I agree with the idea of backing up Charles a poor one.
15 wins a remarkable achievement to have on your resume, why would ANY driver want to risk throwing one of those away? It's Checo's problem that he's slower. He barely qualified ahead of the Ferrari's with a tow, Max was saving tires and still drove away from him in the race.

Last edited:
15 wins a remarkable achievement to have on your resume, why would ANY driver want to risk throwing that away? It's Checo's problem that he's slower.
Didn't think Max cared about the stats anyway. Red Bull have had some very bad press, not helped by certain people running their mouths instead of keeping quiet. Sacrificing a stat he supposedly doesn't care about to help the team achieve something they've never managed, whilst simultaneously repairing some of their damaged reputation and fan standing, would have been worth doing.

It's not solely Checos problem either. The car is developed around Max' style, the car went away from Perez when they started applying the updates. Also, if the car could hold itself together for the whole race in Bahrain, he would have comfortably had P2 sewn up.

At the end of the day Sergio lost 17-5 in the races and qualy while finishing 149 points behind in the standings. This is a skill issue.

Also, Red Bull certainly cares about records like this, as any team would. More than a 2nd place in the wdc.

Last edited:
At the end of the day Sergio lost 17-5 in the races and qualy while finishing 149 points behind in the standings. This is a skill issue.

Also, Red Bull certainly cares about records like this, as any team would. More than a 2nd place in the wdc.
RB would rather have had 1-2 in the drivers. Otherwise they wouldn't have bothered asking Max to let Perez pass in Brazil. I'm also not sure why you're quoting his figures against Verstappen when we're talking about P2 in the championship anyway. Heaven forbid should Perez be allowed to challenge golden boy.

Since it's unsporting or unfair to ask Max to back up LeClerc I don't expect anyone to support Perez holding up or backing up other drivers to allow Max to gain again if it's needed. If that's how you are thinking then I also think it's unfair to have Perez give up his race to let Max pass because Max is 'more important' to the team. Yes he's fast, but helping a teammate when you've secured so much is such a helpful gesture. Even Schumacher the ultimate cutthroat was willing to help Barrichello once he had secured his title for the season.

Back