Formula 1 Etihad Airways Abu Dhabi Grand Prix 2023Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 105 comments
May I remind you that McLaren was pretty much the slowest car on the grid in the first half of the season? They caught up. When is the last time we saw a team come from all the way at the back to getting regular podiums (and actually getting a sprint win) within one season?
Dominance has happened in nearly every era of F1. It will keep happening unless you go completely to spec cars.
Hmm funnily enough I think it was also Mclaren back in 2009 after the summer break. They finally got on top of their KERS package and they became a car capable of getting wins and podiums.

Now everyone knows you have to copy the Red Bull and hopefully this will lead to soe things going better in '24+25. But look at McLaren, Mercedes, Ferrari all drastically changing cars mid season. Should be better starting with the fresh cars ground up hopefully and not fixing the old one during the season.

Hoping the strides made by the Papaya boys carries over into next year. Lando & Piastri have looked like they were more than eager to take the fight to Max, but in Lando's case, ending in a case of cooking the tires as a detriment. The car looks like it's there though, esp. on Qualifying.

Charles looks like he's there as well, but facing the same issue of tire management with the addition of questionable team strategy.

Reminds me of the time when the website wasn't sure who was in 3rd...

Screenshot_6.png

Max has more points than P2 and P3 combined such has been the dominance...has that happened before?
Happened in 1955, 1971, 1997, 2001 and 2002
In 1969 the number 1 had exactly as many points as 2 and 3 combined
What I think never happened before is scoring more than twice the points of the number 2

Last edited:
Happened in 1955 and 1971.
In 1969 the number 1 had exactly as many points as 2 and 3 combined
What I think never happened before is scoring more than twice the points of the number 2
In terms of final points, no, but if you include dropped points then Jim Clark did it in 1963.

He won seven of ten rounds that year, scoring 73, but only the best six counted so he only scored 54 in terms of final points. Graham Hill and Richie Ginther were second and third and both scored 29 (Ginther on 34 but dropped a 4th and a 5th).

In terms of final points, no, but if you include dropped points then Jim Clark did it in 1963.

He won seven of ten rounds that year, scoring 73, but only the best six counted so he only scored 54 in terms of final points. Graham Hill and Richie Ginther were second and third and both scored 29 (Ginther on 34 but dropped a 4th and a 5th).
Dropped Results™: Making statistics harder for everyone since 1950

Last edited:
Really want lando to win his first race, bummed he didnt get one this season, he was probably my favorite to watch on and off track…i think im gonna check out of next season, Hypercars have caught my attention nowadays

Perez complained about his penalty over the radio, and seems to have insulted the stewards. He has been given a formal warning for this.

The first lap for me cements why Charles won't win a drivers title, he had multiple opportunities to take the lead but never made the move.

With the last race of the year, nothing left to fight for (p3 is arguably better than p2 for Ferrari due to wind tunnel and CFD time / runs, its not like Ferrari need the money) he just happily sat behind and made a half hearted move.

If that was Lewis or Max I have no doubt they'd have finished lap 1 in first.

The first lap for me cements why Charles won't win a drivers title, he had multiple opportunities to take the lead but never made the move.
Useless time wasting trying to overtake a way faster car. He isn't like Colin McRae. He is like Richard Burns but with the capability to be as fast as Colin.

If that was Lewis or Max I have no doubt they'd have finished lap 1 in first.
What would be the point? The race doesn't finish on lap 1. If you push your tires too hard at the beginning of the stint, you end up with more deg during the stint. Exactly like what happened in Las Vegas, Verstappen finished the first lap first and then got overtaken before the end of the first stint. Which is the only race a RB was passed for the lead this year, incidentally. Leclerc does this in every race, he takes it easy at the beginning of the stint and at one point his engineer says "tires are ready", then he starts pushing.
With the last race of the year, nothing left to fight for (p3 is arguably better than p2 for Ferrari due to wind tunnel and CFD time / runs, its not like Ferrari need the money) he just happily sat behind and made a half hearted move.
If this were true he wouldn't have done what he did in the last two laps, would he?

Back