Formula 1 Gran Premio del Made in Italy e Dell'Emilia-Romagna 2022Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 210 comments
Today's race was very interesting. My observations:
  • Red Bull have made gains, but we'll see if tires come back to haunt them... however the Sprint showed some promise
  • The Ferrari team needs to huddle up, so many mistakes. First Carlos doesn't get a good lap in quali, then in the race a slower start put him in a position. That was dumb luck, but that's two races that it's been in the trap. Charles' first pitstop was slow and the he compounded it in that chicane. Hopefully those mistakes won't continue.
  • Great to see Tsunoda and Vettel get really good positions, well done for a great drive by both.
  • The race direction still needs to improve, greatly. So many close battles were not shown
  • On a similar note, I get that Lewis is 7x champion, but he was no where all weekend. When a third of the coverage is about him, that's just sad. Maybe it's just the UK bias there. I'll give him no further quarter other than he was practically -2 in positions all day.
  • How did George pull that crap Merc all the way up the order? Either George is that special or Merc is giving him priority.
  • "Turn on DRS for more passing"... race control enables DRS... no passing. 🙄

This was exactly what Red Bull needed after Australia. I also just realized this is the first time since 2006 Red Bull finished a 1/2. Crazy.

Next up: Miami. O baby. :)

• On a similar note, I get that Lewis is 7x champion, but he was no where all weekend. When a third of the coverage is about him, that's just sad. Maybe it's just the UK bias there. I'll give him no further quarter other than he was practically -2 in positions all day.
To be fair that was the closest battle on track for the majority of the race so the TV director would stick with the battle.

rsh
The way I see it: there is a set back, the athlete involved is older and then headlines about retirement start.
Happens to Messi, Ronaldo, LeBron and now Hamilton.

I rather see a Hamilton with his teeth in his wheel and steam out of his ears, getting Mercedes’ involved for podiums. The more teams in the mix, the better.
Except retirement talks usually start because of their actual age & whether or not they’ll retire at the end of a contract.

Lewis isn’t being casted headlines about retiring bc he’s too old. They’re being casted as, “Oh, the team is struggling, looks like he’s gonna walk 4 races into a two year contract.” You brought up LeBron but even he hasn’t had such headlines thrown about him and his team completely missed the Play-In Tournament despite starting the season as Championship favorites.

I expected the race to go a bit longer than it did. I thought there'd be a bit more chaos but anyway, it was still a decent race.

rsh
Great acknowledgment for his achievement last year by fellow athletes and champions.
Must be really good as a fellow athlete to dedicate yourself completely and watch as the accolades are presented to someone who has had a dubious decisions and really poor decision making heavily rewarded. It is, what it is. Its been weird watching F1 this year, its fun racing still, but there's no intrinsic value to winning races it's just privileged folks having a good time, sport is an after thought.

Must be really good as a fellow athlete to dedicate yourself completely and watch as the accolades are presented to someone who has had a dubious decisions and really poor decision making heavily rewarded. It is, what it is. Its been weird watching F1 this year, its fun racing still, but there's no intrinsic value to winning races it's just privileged folks having a good time, sport is an after thought.
You're right, sport is what happens when the same guy wins eight championships in eight seasons with no competition whatsoever. The thought that two other drivers won the championship during those years is disgusting and horrible.

Hamilton could've easily beaten the guy with "dubious decisions and really poor decision making" (lol, cringe) if he had just managed to brake for turn 1 in Baku properly, but apparently he couldn't.

It's weird watching F1 to you because you can't stand losing. It's normal watching F1 to anyone else because it's the same it has always been, just with a different team at the top.

(..) it's just privileged folks having a good time, sport is an after thought.
You have a very skewed view of F1 and sport in general. First off, every single sport is filled with ‘privileged’ folks. Money and connections can bring you very far, but you do need talent or at the least the impression of talent.

And sport is obviously not an afterthought, you just don’t understand how widespread incompetence is.

You have a very skewed view of F1 and sport in general. First off, every single sport is filled with ‘privileged’ folks. Money and connections can bring you very far, but you do need talent or at the least the impression of talent.

And sport is obviously not an afterthought, you just don’t understand how widespread incompetence is.
F1 has set itself up for Ferrari to have a prolonged / planned spell in the limelight, its written into the budget of the "sport". What you call incompetence was demonstrated to be corruption by team radio releases. I understand sport fundamentally that's why if I want honest competition I would watch something that has not been as corrupted like Rugby League. Sadly F1 has little to no integrity, winning the title is very much like a WWE wrestler getting a belt purely incidental and on script.

Last edited:

F1 is the pinnacle of privileged people playing sports. If you don't have money, you're not going karting. Simple as that.

What is prestige?

I don't think it's controversial to say that F1 drivers have won the Laureus award a disproportionately high number of times.

For a start, Rossi and Marquez won 7 and 6 MotoGP titles respectively but didn't win a Laureus award. Loeb and Ogier won 9 and 8 WRC titles respectively but didn't win.

And that's before we even consider sports where the machinery doesn't make most of the difference in determining the success of the athlete.

Charles really dropped the ball there. If you want to be fighting this championship to the end, you can't make mistake like this. Max will mop the floor with him if he keeps this up. If Mercedes don't get their act straight, Red Bull will just run away with this championship. They came in targeting maximum points and that's what they got at the end. I'm really hoping Ferrari will keep it up to the end.

Charles tends to be a bit prone to mistakes, I hope he can keep it clean for the rest of the season bar incidents with Max, which I think is inevitable 😆

Hamilton could've easily beaten the guy with "dubious decisions and really poor decision making" (lol, cringe) if he had just managed to brake for turn 1 in Baku properly, but apparently he couldn't.
There were a number of moments that could've put either driver in a better position.
You're right, sport is what happens when the same guy wins eight championships in eight seasons with no competition whatsoever.
Who's won 8 championships? No competition? So the Timo Glock, controversial 1-point win doesn't exist?

Maybe hang back on citing how others' perceive F1 if you've skewed your own history to push this old, "The car won, not the driver" towards Lewis.

Last edited:
There were a number of moments that could've put either driver in a better position.
Well no, there is no better position Verstappen could've been in. He got P1 in the championship, that's the best position you could have. Even if you think he made mistakes (and everyone makes mistakes, so ofcourse he did), there was no better position for him to be in. If Hamilton did end up winning, that mistake in Baku wouldn't have mattered. But he didn't, so it does. And it especially matters because of him, his team, and his fans blaming outside factors for him losing the championship when there are lots of things he could've done better. He made more mistakes than Verstappen, and bigger mistakes as well.
Who's won 8 championships? No competition? So the Timo Glock, controversial 1-point win doesn't exist?
I don't know why you got that from what I wrote. It was a sarcastic comment. Hamilton not having won in 2016 and 2021 is exactly why F1 is clearly a sport. Drivers were able to beat Hamilton to the championship when they were given the opportunity to do so. But both of those times Hamilton's fans pretended like it ruined the sport.
Maybe hang back on citing how others' perceive F1 if you've skewed your own history to push this old, "The car won, not the driver" towards Lewis.
But was it the car that got P13 yesterday, or was it the driver?

Well no, there is no better position Verstappen could've been in. He got P1 in the championship, that's the best position you could have. Even if you think he made mistakes (and everyone makes mistakes, so ofcourse he did), there was no better position for him to be in.
He got P1 through a lot of luck from a FIA admitted error. But, had he not made mistakes himself, he wouldn't have had to wait til' the very last lap of the year to have sealed the deal.
If Hamilton did end up winning, that mistake in Baku wouldn't have mattered. But he didn't, so it does. And it especially matters because of him, his team, and his fans blaming outside factors for him losing the championship when there are lots of things he could've done better. He made more mistakes than Verstappen, and bigger mistakes as well.
It would have still mattered; just as I said for Verstappen, had he not made mistakes himself, he too wouldn't have relied on the very last race to make a championship win.

None of this however, erases the aforementioned error that played a heavy hand in deciding the winner.
Hamilton not having won in 2016 and 2021 is exactly why F1 is clearly a sport. Drivers were able to beat Hamilton to the championship when they were given the opportunity to do so.
Who in the top teams didn't start off with the same exact opportunity to beat Hamilton? Is it Lewis' fault other teams couldn't match Mercedes because of their own shortcomings throughout the season?
But both of those times Hamilton's fans pretended like it ruined the sport.
In contrast to Red Bull fans & Dutch folks pretending the sport was ruined when he did win consecutively....
But was it the car that got P13 yesterday, or was it the driver?
@Samus already answer this.
They've been running different setups at pretty much every race, they're still trying to understand the car. HAM just didn't have any straight line speed.

Also don't forget they were locked into their setups for today after just one practice session instead of the usual two sessions and overnight Friday.
Again not defending HAM, he had a nothing race, but his car is not identical to Russell's in terms of setup so you can't discount him purely on the pace of RUS.
Edit*
Hard LOL at the Hamilton hater for poo'ing me whilst he displays the duality of his own fandom.
Too bad for Max. Never had the trust. And also not the reliability. 2022 already feels a lost season. Too bad, because a good fight is what I love to see.
Verstappen dominated the weekend. Wasn’t thinking RB had it’s stuff in order. Perez also with a solid performance shows their ability now. Looks promising for the rest of the season. I hope Max can have more of these weekends.

Last edited:
Listening to what people are saying on social media, you'd think Lewis should never underperform. He's not supposed to make mistake and he needs to be the fastest driver, always. Because the moment he underperforms, suddenly that means he's a fraud, a bad driver, a fake champion, the car is the true champion not Lewis, he shouldn't be in F1 and should retire blah blah blah....heck, most of my sport feeds is littered with articles about Max lapping Lewis. You would think Lewis' career is over because he got lapped by a rival....iirc didn't Perez and Charles lapped him too? It's F1 for crying out loud, slow cars gets lapped, that's the reality of this sport. One that even people like Lewis cannot escape when they are driving a slow car.

Also worth noting that the only two regular drivers that have yet to score points by now is Latifi and Schumacher. Not necessarily surprised by the former but having Magnussen jump in last second - albeit with prior experience - in a completely different car package and wring out results is not the best look for Mick.

Also worth noting that the only two regular drivers that have yet to score points by now is Latifi and Schumacher. Not necessarily surprised by the former but having Magnussen jump in last second - albeit with prior experience - in a completely different car package and wring out results is not the best look for Mick.

Interesting way of thinking.
His mistake at Jeddah aside, not very surprised by his performance this year.

When he drove a Van Amersfoort F3 car, the team principal mentioned that Mick learns fast. But lacks the raw speed and talent that other drivers showed driving for his team previously.

I saw a lot of determination in F2, but I am not certain he can match Max, Lando, Georg, Pierre or Charles, to name a few.

Albert Fabrega says a driver swap will happen soon. Hopefully it’s Latifi out the door for Piastri.

Last edited:
This hurts to say as a Canadian, but I’d be happy if both Canadian drivers left and never came back.
My wife is Canadian, her and just about every single members of her family who follows F1 feel the same way you do, so I'd say you are not alone in that camp. It's one thing that they are basically in F1 because of their parents checkbooks, worse is they barely have anything to show for it and they are getting outperformed by their teammates.

Screenshot_20220428-092645.png

Back