• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 210 comments
"Two secs, Ted."
"Two secs, Ted."
"Two secs, Ted."
"Two secs, Ted."
"Two secs, Ted."

Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP!
At least he got in half a dozen (not so) veiled references to the football later.

(And yes Crofty, you can pause to take a breath occasionally)

Last edited:
Crofty was his usual annoying self but you really appreciate Brundle when he takes his breaks. Going to be sad when he retires entirely, don't think I can take a whole season of Di Resta.

Also really didn't need Rosberg piping up every ten minutes, didn't add anything other than sly digs at HAM.

Quite possibly Lewis Hamilton's worse performance of his career.

He's had plenty of incidents, bad luck, accidents etc., but this weekend was just a big fat nothing burger, 14th on merit and couldn't even get past an Alpha Tauri.

Seeing Russell (and Bottas!) do so much better this weekend will be hard on Lewis, and will no doubt only make the situation at Mercedes even worse.

Last edited:
It’s pretty obvious Hamilton isn’t engaged this season. When you have to say comments like he said during preseason to “fire” yourself up that usually indicates a lack of motivation.

Why is Wolff apologizing to Hamilton for giving him a car that is apparently quite capable of finishing P4?
They've been running different setups at pretty much every race, they're still trying to understand the car. HAM just didn't have any straight line speed.

Also don't forget they were locked into their setups for today after just one practice session instead of the usual two sessions and overnight Friday.

Verstappen dominated the weekend. Wasn’t thinking RB had it’s stuff in order. Perez also with a solid performance shows their ability now. Looks promising for the rest of the season. I hope Max can have more of these weekends.

Can’t wait for the rest of the fight with Ferrari and hopefully McLaren later on for the win(s).

Also loved to see Hamilton in P14, having his best performance until now, as he claimed pre-season…
On a serious note, completely dominated by Russel, who shows that the car isn’t as bad as Hamilton shows.
Probably feeding the speculation of Hamilton retirement soon.

rsh
Verstappen dominated the weekend. Wasn’t thinking RB had it’s stuff in order. Perez also with a solid performance shows their ability now. Looks promising for the rest of the season. I hope Max can have more of these weekends.
Perez did OK but he was still nowhere near VER, I don't think we can rely on those two to provide some close racing the same as we've seen from Merc drivers the last few years. We need both Red Bulls and both Ferrari's at the front if want action.

rsh
Also loved to see Hamilton in P14, having his best performance until now, as he claimed pre-season…
On a serious note, completely dominated by Russel, who shows that the car isn’t as bad as Hamilton shows.
Again not defending HAM, he had a nothing race, but his car is not identical to Russell's in terms of setup so you can't discount him purely on the pace of RUS.

Last edited:
They've been running different setups at pretty much every race, they're still trying to understand the car. HAM just didn't have any straight line speed.

Also don't forget they were locked into their setups for today after just one practice session instead of the usual two sessions and overnight Friday.
I suspect George is doing the same on his side of the garage, but he’s also been driving **** boxes for 3 years so I think that kind of experience is helping his situation.

Last edited:
rsh
Yeah, nah. Only Hamilton nay-sayers get high off such copium.
The seven-times champion insisted he has no intention of leaving the team before his current contract expires at the end of last season.

Rather silly mistake from Leclerc but really lucky he was able to continue. A McLaren on a podium is a fresh sight. Both Astons score points so I believe all teams have one now, I believe. Took only four races.

Everyone already putting out the whole "Russell outdrove Hamilton today" narrative which tells me who was actually paying attention. I can say Russell has been right with Hamilton on pace so far this season but this race ended up being the quintessential example of how critical track position can be.

In short, Russell got track position immediately with a good start plus Ricciardo and Sainz tangling. Then most of his battles were one on one. Meanwhile, Lewis ended up being stuck in a train of cars much like Alonso in Australia later in his race but without DRS. Then a bad pit stop plus an unsafe release put him in an even worse spot stuck behind Gasly who just managed to get within DRS range of Albon once DRS was finally enabled. The one thing I would blame Hamilton for is being way too conservative not wanting to go for slicks.

Again not defending HAM, he had a nothing race, but his car is not identical to Russell's in terms of setup so you can't discount him purely on the pace of RUS.
But wasn't George still stuck on a wet front end setup because they didn't get the wing changes in when they stopped for slicks? If so that makes where he finished even a greater accomplishment. Now I was dozing off at times mid race and didn't catch if they were able to eventually change it.

It wasn't his fault today but Carlos has to be up front with Charles to help put pressure when needed on the Red Bulls. I had noticed that Charles looked like he was taking to much first curb at Variante Alta all race long and he went to the well one too many times and it really cost him today.

Quite possibly Lewis Hamilton's worse performance of his career.

He's had plenty of incidents, bad luck, accidents etc., but this weekend was just a big fat nothing burger, 14th on merit and couldn't even get past an Alpha Tauri.

Seeing Russell (and Bottas!) do so much better this weekend will be hard on Lewis, and will no doubt only make the situation at Mercedes even worse.
I nominate Silverstone 2009: started 19th, finished 16th; at Silverstone.

Last edited:
But wasn't George still stuck on a wet front end setup because they didn't get the wing changes in when they stopped for slicks? If so that makes where he finished even a greater accomplishment. Now I was dozing off at times mid race and didn't catch if they were able to eventually change it.
Yes but as the comment above yours notes the result was mostly down to early movement on Lap 1, it's not like George was cutting through the field all race, he wasn't. Nobody was, because overtaking at this circuit remains very hard.

George was P9 going into T1 L1 but because of RIC and SAI tangling and the resulting jostling he came out 6th. Didn't really do anything after that, except I think passing MAG?

HAM on the other hand just got unlucky and was stuck behind on a track where it's hard to pass with a car that had no top end. Not helped by his quali performance though, of course.

The new regs were supposed to make the racing better, but the top story from this race is the guy who came 13th :lol:
I would argue under the old regulations, Hamilton wouldn't even been able to get close to Gasly, let alone be right at his gearbox six billion times. Then again, we also saw that while DRS is probably too strong, it is still a very much needed component. Still want to know why they waited far too long to activate.

Oh, and the most important thing. While it was nice to see F1 back at Imola as a novelty, easily a track I'm not looking forward anymore.

How tf was that Red Bull's first 1-2 finish in SIX YEARS???
Had to look that up. Malaysia 2016, wow :eek:
So somehow Max and Daniel only got a single 1-2 in their nearly 3 years as team mates, while both had their fair share of wins

Last edited:
Had to look that up. Malaysia 2016, wow :eek:
So somehow Max and Daniel only got a single 1-2 in their nearly 3 years as team mates, while both had their fair share of wins
Piss-poor Renault engines and Mercedes existing will do that to you.

People spitting out takes just to make a misleading headline?
The way I see it: there is a set back, the athlete involved is older and then headlines about retirement start.
Happens to Messi, Ronaldo, LeBron and now Hamilton.

I rather see a Hamilton with his teeth in his wheel and steam out of his ears, getting Mercedes’ involved for podiums. The more teams in the mix, the better.

Last edited:
Back