FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO HEINEKEN D'ITALIA 2017Formula 1 

TenEightyOne
TenEightyOne
"Monza is regarded by many as the embodiment of Formula One racing.

Not only is it a fantastic example of a track that combines speed with skill, it also has a heart and soul all of its own. It has seen some of the finest races of all time, but also some of the sport's worst accidents. The names of great drivers and the sounds of engines from years gone by linger in the grand old trees surrounding the track in the royal park.

Work began on the circuit in 1922 and was completed in under six months. After Brooklands in the UK and Indianapolis in the USA, it was the third permanent race track in existence. With a banked oval incorporated into the design of the road racing circuit, the total track length stood at a whopping 10 kilometres.

Formula One racing visited the circuit as part of the inaugural season in 1950, and it has remained a permanent fixture on the calendar ever since.

Over that time, Monza has borne witness to an incredible list of historic moments, famous victories and horrifying crashes. All combine to make it one of the most magical places on the Formula One calendar. For many there is nowhere that encapsulates the sport better than this circuit. The Italians call it 'La Pista Magica', the magic track, a description few would disagree with.
" (Formula1.com)

TrackMap2017.png

I really wanna see the lap record broken, but commentators are saying it's still a bit unlikely. The wider tires add drag, and most of the big laptime improvements are being seen at tracks where it makes sense to have wider tires and more aero. Today in practice we saw a 1:21.4. Last year we saw a 1:22.8 in FP2, 1:21.135 in Q3. I think it's not out of the question, but it certainly might be harder to break than at most tracks. 1:19.5 is still a ways off I suppose.

Also it's interesting how some teams opted to keep their "older" engines in for the sake of keeping the 1.2L/100km oil burn rate for a little while longer.

Is this an all time low for posts in a F1 GP thread? I think I remember last year around this time the debate was much more heated. But then again there maybe isn't much to talk, should be an interesting race nonetheless.

Alonso has 35 grid spot penalty.

Verstappen has a 15 grid spot penalty.

Ricciardo has a 20 grid spot penalty.

Sainz has a 10 grid spot penalty.

http://www.racer.com/f1/item/143700-verstappen-to-join-ricciardo-and-alonso-at-back-of-monza-grid

I read an interview with Alonso on that site, he says he still believes in Honda being able to improve and that he wants to fly to Japan checking on their progress (which couldn't hurt).

It also puts his "whining" into a different light, I think he just wants the team to succeed and be competitive.

I still can see him driving in indycar series next year if there's no progress with Honda, we'll see.

I really wanna see the lap record broken, but commentators are saying it's still a bit unlikely. The wider tires add drag, and most of the big laptime improvements are being seen at tracks where it makes sense to have wider tires and more aero. Today in practice we saw a 1:21.4. Last year we saw a 1:22.8 in FP2, 1:21.135 in Q3. I think it's not out of the question, but it certainly might be harder to break than at most tracks. 1:19.5 is still a ways off I suppose.

Also it's interesting how some teams opted to keep their "older" engines in for the sake of keeping the 1.2L/100km oil burn rate for a little while longer.

The wider tyres mean more drag but they also mean increased grip and traction , especially through turns 3 and 11 . Which I think will overall improve lap times . Guess we'll find out on Sunday .

As far as the oil burn rate issue , I guess the increase in power must be worth some of the teams rolling the dice and risking a failure ?

The wider tyres mean more drag but they also mean increased grip and traction , especially through turns 3 and 11 . Which I think will overall improve lap times . Guess we'll find out on Sunday .

As far as the oil burn rate issue , I guess the increase in power must be worth some of the teams rolling the dice and risking a failure ?

Yeah I guess so. I still can't get over them burning as much oil as I have in my Miata. It definitely is a quirky thing to try and overcome the fuel rate restrictions in the name of more power.

Also a bit of a dangerous way of running an engine.
Back in the day I worked for Renault and went through a spate of engine failures on the Master van , due to being overfilled with oil . They would suck oil vapour up the breather and run on that .
It happened to a van in the workshop once and my buddy jumped in and dumped the clutch in top gear in an attempt to save the motor . It just fried the clutch . The obd said it was doing nearly 20,000 rpm when it finally let go . Not bad for an old diesel .

That implies that it's not something that just happens , but that that have actually designed a system to bypass the fuel flow regulations .
I dread to think what the emissions are like when this is in operation . About the same as a diesel vw I'd imagine .

Do F1 cars have to pass any kind of emissions test yet ?

What happened to the new for 2017 Monza? The first chicane is still there.

I kept on hearing stuff about this but there was never any actual confirmation. If we were going to be using a new redesigned chicane, I'm sure we would've been seeing a million photos of in the weeks leading up.

All Ive noticed is a new kerb on the exit of turn 11 . Presumably to stop issues with track limits .

Monza is a bit of a lake at the moment. GP3 qualifying was called off because of it, and it won't improve for FP3, and potentially not also for Quali.

Session due to start in 7 mins but who is going to do any running. Weather is supposed to improve for quali and be ok tomorrow. So where is the benefit of doing 20 mins of wet running?

FP3 will start in a few minutes, 16 minutes of the session will run in very wet conditions. The teams will want to get out to be ready for quali, even though it'll be treacherous.

However, it's going to be wet quali dry race. I'd always prefer it the other way around.
At this point, I can't be picky. Anything to add a bit of intrigue for the start of the race.

This is way too dangerous. No visibility it seems.

Red flag. But only after Grosjean crashes onto a barrier.

Romain said it was too dangerous. And even in a straight line he lost it. But, if this is all of the qualifying that's run, Romain will have aquaplaned into a third place start.

They should have as many medical cars out there doing laps as well imo get some water off the track.

So we only do intermediate conditions now?
I'd rather be safe than sorry seeing as how this is the first time we've seen the wet tires in use this season.

Latest Posts

Back