FORMULA 1 GRAN PREMIO HEINEKEN D'ITALIA 2017Formula 1 

It's kinda ironical that Grosjean was the only one complaining and than he's the one to bin it.
Hamilton told Toto and co. he almost did the same thing in the same spot.

Being safe is at least better than having the possibility of a huge accident where a driver or marshal could be injured severely, even in a qualifying situation.

Not sure I agree. The drivers are skilled enough for these conditions in my opinion.

Wouldn't having the cars still out there dry out a line quicker to prevent that?
No. They need speed to clear water and they need heat to keep the tyres round enough to keep the floor off the tarmac, but the water cools the tyres and slows the cars down.

If they sent out 20 safety cars, sure.

Last edited:
Romain has to be bummed out. If they get this going again, he could have had a chance to get into Q2.

F1 is a multi billion dollar business and they are completely inapapt when dealing with any kind of weather, get some jet dryers and pace cars or something doing laps, this we will wait 15 mins before we tell you what we are going to do is pathetic.

I think F1 may need to think about getting Wheel covers for the cars it should be able to contain most of the spray and increase visability.

Now the weather is picking up again it seems. Doubt they'll get out given how sensitive they are with rain and water.

And with that, I'm gonna go get some sleep.

Allan McNish suggested on commentary that a driver who knows the conditions are unsafe shouldn't pull in and park their car because they're paid to race - citing Alain Prost's sacking from Ferrari for doing just that. Romain Grosjean also suggested that he couldn't stop bt himself even knowing it was unsafe, because no-one else was.

Anyone remember when they introduced the Virtual Safety Car to slow drivers down and neutralise the gaps because the drivers wouldn't slow down for double-waved yellows due to the pressure to push in unsafe conditions, and one of them went off a soaking wet track at the scene of someone else's accident, hit a recovery vehicle and died?

*tumbleweed*

Edit: Whoops. I made the BBC website with a similar comment...

whoops.jpg

Everyone always wants the F1 cars out there to dry the track, so why don't they send the 2-seater out? That's an F1 car with F1 tyres, it'll help gauge conditions better than the Safety Car.

F1 is a multi billion dollar business and they are completely inapapt when dealing with any kind of weather, get some jet dryers and pace cars or something doing laps, this we will wait 15 mins before we tell you what we are going to do is pathetic.

I think F1 may need to think about getting Wheel covers for the cars it should be able to contain most of the spray and increase visability.

The real problem is they're not allowed to make specific changes for the conditions anymore which means they're driving under these conditions with a setup for dry conditions, since apparently tomorrow will be a dry race.

In the past they could change things on the cars at any time, like ride height, gearboxes, aerodynamics.
So that's why we rarely see any real wet races anymore.

As for why they don't allow important changes between qualifying and race anymore, I don't know but I think it's stupid and dangerous.

As suggested earlier-no provision at all for drying a track mechanically? All race series are inadequate in this area! It's hard to believe no one has sold F1 on a machine that can perform this task quickly and effectively. The waiting and watching has to be addressed. When the weather eases, get the puddles up and get the cars out to dry the parts of the track where there is no standing water, and get on with it.

As suggested earlier-no provision at all for drying a track mechanically? All race series are inadequate in this area! It's hard to believe no one has sold F1 on a machine that can perform this task quickly and effectively. The waiting and watching has to be addressed. When the weather eases, get the puddles up and get the cars out to dry the parts of the track where there is no standing water, and get on with it.
This frustrates me no end, Nascar is the only one that seems to do anything and they don't even race in the rain.

Skill counts for nothing when the tyres are not in contact with the floor
Yeah, but skill counts for knowing where the limits are and how to drive, Bottas was going 270, Hamilton 300, the French driver (Gro) was going 310+, arguably because of a lack of skill for driving under these conditions and not knowing the limits. He's just not a very good driver when you see how he developed during his career. There's more to a great racing driver than just driving fast, I think!?

This frustrates me no end, Nascar is the only one that seems to do anything and they don't even race in the rain.
They do it BECAUSE they don't race in the rain. F1 is supposed to, so they don't bother. I know at Silverstone they would be sending marshals with brooms and tractors with sweepers to clean this off.

Back