Formula 1 Grand Prix de Monaco 2016

• Thread starter shoemaker
  • 798 comments
As I said several posts back, biased and delusional. :lol: You'd definitely not be saying any of this, had Hamilton done what Rosberg did. You just need something to hate Nico over, so you overlook all the facts. Even the stewards, who are far more qualified to judge than you, called it nothing more than an unfortunate set of coincidences, that resulted in an accident. And that neither did anything dangerous. But you're a Hamilton militant, so you can't accept that.
I have looked at the facts, the rules are such you can get away with it. Actions that lead to a crash are dangerous. I don't have hatred towards Nico. Should be more respect between drivers, crazy what happened at Sauber for example. I definitely would be saying the same, seems quite a bit reckless and unnecessary to go to such an extent against your own teammate.

As I said several posts back, biased and delusional. :lol: You'd definitely not be saying any of this, had Hamilton done what Rosberg did. You just need something to hate Nico over, so you overlook all the facts. Even the stewards, who are far more qualified to judge than you, called it nothing more than an unfortunate set of coincidences, that resulted in an accident. And that neither did anything dangerous. But you're a Hamilton militant, so you can't accept that.

I think you just look for things to hate Hamilton fans ("militants") over.

Hamilton's militants will defend that dirty move to the death; even though they accuse others of attempted murder, whenever they give him a chop! :rolleyes:

I have looked at the facts, the rules are such you can get away with it. Actions that lead to a crash are dangerous. I don't have hatred towards Nico. Should be more respect between drivers, crazy what happened at Sauber for example. I definitely would be saying the same, seems quite a bit reckless and unnecessary to go to such an extent against your own teammate.

As numerous people pointed out to you multiple times, Nico would not have been aware of the huge difference in closing speed, between him and Hamilton. He was aware he was going slower, yes; but not slowly enough to cause issues. What you continuously fail to realise is that Nico would not have seen Lewis closing rapidly through turn three; drivers don't look in the mirrors through corners.

And you frequently bang on about how 'Nico kept going into the right', but Lewis wasn't alongside Nico, until just before he went onto the grass. Not that Nico would have thought he'd gotten alongside at all, as it was only a tiny fraction of his front wing, that Lewis had alongside.

I think you just look for things to hate Hamilton fans ("militants") over.

I have nothing wrong with fans. It's delusional, biased militants, that tick me off. Just like selective quoters like yourself, who cherry pick posts, to try and prove weak points that they don't really have, tick me off. For that was my first post on the incident (before I'd seen any replays, was watching it live); after which I've said I don't think there was any wrong doing. You just humiliated yourself massively, proving that you jump to conclusions, without reading the other posts first! Congratulations...

:cheers:

:lol:

That was just plain embarrassing. His race lasted what, three metres? Sky have been singing his praises all season long, but were quick to criticise him for it, so you know he really made a hash of it.

Also WOW he was CALLED IN?!? Might have to start looking for better team buddy, that's the dumbest thing i've heard a team do in a long time, calling in a driver at the last second only to not be prepared themselves
From the aerial shot of the pit bay, it looked like they had the ultrasofts ready to go, then changed their minds and switched to the supersofts. Which, tactically made sense; there were question marks over the durability of the ultrasofts, and they had time in hand to change - a second or two faster and Ricciardo would have come out in front and Red Bull would look like they had pulled off a tactical masterstroke.

Final note, Sauber. May have a wee bit of a problem there with your drivers.
I suspect that it was the same issue as Verstappen and Sainz in Melbourne - Ericsson thought he was fast enough to have a crack at the cars in front of Nasr, and Nasr disputed it.

As numerous people pointed out to you multiple times, Nico would not have been aware of the huge difference in closing speed, between him and Hamilton. He was aware he was going slower, yes; but not slowly enough to cause issues. What you continuously fail to realise is that Nico would not have seen Lewis closing rapidly through turn three; drivers don't look in the mirrors through corners.

And you frequently bang on about how 'Nico kept going into the right', but Lewis wasn't alongside Nico, until just before he went onto the grass. Not that Nico would have thought he'd gotten alongside at all, as it was only a tiny fraction of his front wing, that Lewis had alongside.

I have nothing wrong with fans. It's delusional, biased militants, that tick me off. Just like selective quoters like yourself, who cherry pick posts, to try and prove weak points that they don't really have, tick me off. For that was my first post on the incident (before I'd seen any replays, was watching it live); after which I've said I don't think there was any wrong doing. You just humiliated yourself massively, proving that you jump to conclusions, without reading the other posts first! Congratulations...

:cheers:

:lol:

He looked well aware, he pretty much said so himself. He was specifically looking at right mirror going by onboard which is where Lewis was and kept on moving over. Lewis front wing was ahead of Nico's rear wheel before going off-track, probably would have caused a puncture at high-speed for Nico if Lewis did stay on track. Anyway he sort of made up for it this race in a way by letting Lewis through, that was quite surprising given he would have improved his championship chances if he ignored team orders. I'm not sure if Lewis would have done the same.

Do you tick yourself off? :lol:

Last edited:
He looked well aware, he pretty much said so himself. He was specifically looking at right mirror going by onboard which is where Lewis was and kept on moving over.

Deliberately misquoting me. Again. Yes, Nico knew Lewis was there, and was trying to defend. But he was not aware that the difference in closing speed was large enough, to make defending potentially dangerous. As for the mirrors point, I'm talking about as he was driving through turn three; not on the exit of turn three, which is what you're talking about.

Nico was definitely looking in his mirrors on the exit of turn three. And definitely saw Lewis there. However he'd not have been using them during the corner and, therefore, would not have seen the speed of which Lewis was closing on him through the turn. For all Nico could have known Lewis was under his gearbox through turn three, and used ERS to get a boost out of the corner. In which case, the speed advantage would have been much less.

Lewis front wing was ahead of Nico's rear wheel before going off-track, probably would have caused a puncture at high-speed for Nico if Lewis did stay on track.

Wrong. He only had that much of his car alongside Rosberg, when he was already partially off track. Before that Lewis only had his front wing alongside Nico's rear wheel.

Anyway he sort of made up for it this race in a way by letting Lewis through, that was quite surprising given he would have improved his championship chances if he ignored team orders. I'm not sure if Lewis would have done the same.

So Nico will only have fully made up for it when he falls in line, rolls over, and submits to Hamilton; not putting up a fight, and allowing him to win for the rest of the year? Am I right? :lol:

Do you tick yourself off. :lol:

Do you know how to use question marks? :lol:

Deliberately misquoting me. Again. Yes, Nico knew Lewis was there, and was trying to defend. But he was not aware that the difference in closing speed was large enough, to make defending potentially dangerous. As for the mirrors point, I'm talking about as he was driving through turn three; not on the exit of turn three, which is what you're talking about.

Nico was definitely looking in his mirrors on the exit of turn three. And definitely saw Lewis there. However he'd not have been using them during the corner and, therefore, would not have seen the speed of which Lewis was closing on him through the turn. For all Nico could have known Lewis was under his gearbox through turn three, and used ERS to get a boost out of the corner. In which case, the speed advantage would have been much less.

Wrong. He only had that much of his car alongside Rosberg, when he was already partially off track. Before that Lewis only had his front wing alongside Nico's rear wheel.

So Nico will only have fully made up for it when he falls in line, rolls over, and submits to Hamilton; not putting up a fight, and allowing him to win for the rest of the year? Am I right? :lol:

Do you know how to use question marks? :lol:
Where was I misquoting you out of interest? Do you know what that means? He knew he was down on power in that corner hence why he changed the settings quickly and reading what he said aligns up with that. I think Nico is clever enough to work out there will be quite a big difference in closing speed, there would be no need to defend if there wasn't going to be.

I didn't say anything about partially off-track.

No, just helped the team score more points than they would have if he kept Lewis behind as long as he could. Nothing will actually make up for such an incident as they were points dropped unnecessarily. Could have potentially increased his lead this race given how hard it is to overtake but think Lewis would have got him if Nico had first call on pit stops as pace difference on in lap might be huge like Daniel managed compared to Lewis.

Yes I do, fixed the typo for you if it makes you feel better.

That was just plain embarrassing. His race lasted what, three metres? Sky have been singing his praises all season long, but were quick to criticise him for it, so you know he really made a hash of it.

Brundle did imply it wasn't Palmer's fault, he just span the wheels on the white paint of the zebra crossing.

Mrs. Ten is no F1 expert but even she wondered aloud why nobody else had done that. Because the others aren't as ****, I helpfully explained.

@Saidur_Ali @_Springy_ Does this thread title have "Barcelona" in it? 💡

----

It never ceases to amaze me how random geeks on an internet forum have more racing knowledge and access to more telemetry than the stewards at a race track. Martin Donnelly, Derek Warwick, Emanuele Pirro, Alan Jones et al should hang their heads in shame.

The facts of this are:

• Hamilton didn't make the apex of the chicane and jumped over the inside of it
  • He didn't gain any time
  • He didn't keep a position
  • Ricciardo wasn't attempting to overtake into the chicane
  • Hamilton was slower out of the chicane
  • Ricciardo had a run on him
  • There was always a cars width between Hamilton and the barrier, for Ricciardo to drive into, as that was the width of the wet bit and Hamilton didn't want to use that
  • Hamilton was accelerating, on slicks, on the dry line
  • Ricciardo was accelerating, on slicks, on a wet line
  • Ricciardo's tyres said, "I'm not doing that" and he lost the back end
(Note Hamilton's throttle position, and he's on the dry bit!)

R9Ikt21.jpg

Hamilton always gave racing room (not much of it, but it was there) and there is no rule to state that the bit of track you leave your opponent has to be dry.

The facts of this are:

• Hamilton didn't make the apex of the chicane and jumped over the inside of it
  • He didn't gain any time
  • He didn't keep a position
  • Ricciardo wasn't attempting to overtake into the chicane
  • Hamilton was slower out of the chicane
  • Ricciardo had a run on him
  • There was always a cars width between Hamilton and the barrier, for Ricciardo to drive into, as that was the width of the wet bit and Hamilton didn't want to use that
  • Hamilton was accelerating, on slicks, on the dry line
  • Ricciardo was accelerating, on slicks, on a wet line
  • Ricciardo's tyres said, "I'm not doing that" and he lost the back end
(Note Hamilton's throttle position, and he's on the dry bit!)

R9Ikt21.jpg

Hamilton always gave racing room (not much of it, but it was there) and there is no rule to state that the bit of track you leave your opponent has to be dry.

Still think Lewis's chop was a bit uncalled for and quite dangerous - all he had to do was stay inside and he might have had the corner - if Lewis was on the dry part he would have had much better braking and turn in than a slick-shod Riccardio on a wet piece of track. Of course it wasn't for Red Bull's terrible pit botch then they wouldn't have had this issue at all.

Oh and couple other notes, TV camera's for the pit lane were fantastic from above the garage, and Perez with drive of the day easily. Alonso once again proving the McLaren is a good car and its just the engine holding it back.

@Saidur_Ali @_Springy_ Does this thread title have "Barcelona" in it? 💡

----

It never ceases to amaze me how random geeks on an internet forum have more racing knowledge and access to more telemetry than the stewards at a race track. Martin Donnelly, Derek Warwick, Emanuele Pirro, Alan Jones et al should hang their heads in shame.
There was talk already about in the thread, I replied to same post a moderator did also reply to today. Sorry about it getting dragged on though.

Stewards seemed to get the decisions right this race and last race going by rules, however on stewarding system I do think there are issues with it like mentioned on following article although quite old now and some issues have been addressed already: Link

Good to see improved safety measures being used this race, sadly only after a driver got fatally injured they decided to go down this route and not before. Rosberg Button drainage cover incident in practice was quite worrying though, hopefully they actively do something to make sure it doesn't happen again and for any other object like happened in the actual race.

Where was I misquoting you out of interest? Do you know what that means? He knew he was down on power in that corner hence why he changed the settings quickly and reading what he said aligns up with that. I think Nico is clever enough to work out there will be quite a big difference in closing speed, there would be no need to defend if there wasn't going to be.

latest

@_Springy_ I'm the one jumping to conclusions? :lol:

I would carry on watching the racing next time rather than posting and jumping to conclusions.

Then you're also accusing 99% of members in this thread of jumping to conclusions; as it seemed to most people that Hamilton had given Ricciardo a chop at first. Of course, you'd know this, if you bothered to read threads properly. Which, quite evidentially, you don't. Way to go! 👍 :lol:

I find it intersting that the same people blaming Rosberg for Spain's crash are the once who are defending Hamilton's incident with Ricci after the chicane. Anyhow ! I feel sorry for Ricci he should have won it but this **** happens.

After watching the race live and over again cause it was a great one. I think what Lewis did was of equal merit to what DR did on Saturday. Lewis drove a race that many champs should be expected to do, where you push tires to the limit and make big risk calls that pay off. There was always going to be a race at the end between the two because Lewis put himself in position to challenge. Had he not pushed the wets as long as he did and matched pace with the inters around him we wouldn't be having this coversation even if Ric still had that horrid pitstop. Lewis all day pushed the tires to the limits and did so in a way where he was able to maintain speed.

Not only that but I feel people are saying this was Ric's for a few reasons, one they feel (as do I) that Daniel was robbed by his team in Spain. I think he was but that's a conspiracy for another time. Or two, they don't like Hamilton or Mercedes or both and thus didn't want to see that win. The chicane didn't ruin the race for Ric, his team yet again did. Hamilton drove as good as he ever has and was there to reap the benefits. And despite what Lewis says, other than Perez, he was equally fast as DR.

Well that's because unlike most people his Dad has lots of money :lol:

True but then we could say that about a lot of people in Motorsport in general. Senna's folks were rich, Hamilton despite his fantasy wasn't born to poverty either.

Do a track day and some Nigel in a Porsche will be there but that doesn't mean he's any good cause he's faster on the straight bits....

True but then we could say that about a lot of people in Motorsport in general. Senna's folks were rich, Hamilton despite his fantasy wasn't born to poverty either.

Do a track day and some Nigel in a Porsche will be there but that doesn't mean he's any good cause he's faster on the straight bits....

Well obviously the rest of them have money too, but you were comparing Palmer to people who post here, not the other F1 drivers, and I imagine Palmer has far more money than anyone posting here.

Well obviously the rest of them have money too, but you were comparing Palmer to people who post here, not the other F1 drivers, and I imagine Palmer has far more money than anyone posting here.

Regardless, he will look back and be able to say he raced in F1. He seems a well spoken likable chap so I have no issues with Jolyon.

Hamilton despite his fantasy wasn't born to poverty either.

Split lower-middle-class family, hardly a rich start though.

He seems a well spoken likable chap so I have no issues with Jolyon.

Sadly my own impression is of a self-entitled prat. Sure, he can say he raced in F1, I think the record will show that his time there was less than entirely meritorious.

True, but then some days there will be potentially world-class drivers who were never lucky enough to get the early opportunities or who simply chose something different.

I read elsewhere Hamilton made the call to stay on wets that long. Gotta hand it to him to keep them and the ULTRA SOFTS for more than 30 laps. And he had built a little gap towards the last laps. He may have been handed the lead thanks to RB's blunder, but he kept his car in the lead with huge pressure from D.R.

I would love someone to make a gif with Riccardo's 🤬-up pit stop with the pit crew putting concrete blocks underneath his car rather than new tires… would have had the same effect (sort of)… :P

But Ricciardo should also not forget that the reason he is even at the front is because of the Red Bull and the engine upgrade. F1 and Motorsport is a fickle game and your as good as the car allows, Bottas was the great new hope last season in the Williams now the car isn't so good and who's saying Bottas is a God worthy of Ferrari drive now?
If they stuck Ricciardo back in the Torro Rosso then he'd not of even been at the sharp end...If i were him i'd not be moaning to much at Red Bull......

But Ricciardo should also not forget that the reason he is even at the front is because of the Red Bull and the engine upgrade. F1 and Motorsport is a fickle game and your as good as the car allows, Bottas was the great new hope last season in the Williams now the car isn't so good and who's saying Bottas is a God worthy of Ferrari drive now?
If they stuck Ricciardo back in the Torro Rosso then he'd not of even been at the sharp end...If i were him i'd not be moaning to much at Red Bull......
and who is to say the car would of been going for the win without him.

Not to mention Bottas can barely beat Massa where as Ricciardo beat Vettel comfortably not really the same comparison driver wise.

and who is to say the car would of been going for the win without him.

Not to mention Bottas can barely beat Massa where as Ricciardo beat Vettel comfortably not really the same comparison driver wise.

Nope I was saying Ricciardo should be careful how much he kicks off as he's where he is due to Red Bull, same as if he was in a Merc he could be World champ but if he was in a Manor he'd be lucky to get top 10, I didn't see Ricciardo challenging for wins in a Torro Rosso, did you?
Vettel owes his 4 WDC to Red Bull, I mean...he isn't winning WDC in the Ferrari is he..
Top teams all know that they are more important than any of the drivers, its just the fans of drivers who chose not to get it.

People slagging off Palmer, i'm confident that if he had a whole season in a Merc he would get a top 5 finish or a second place at least once... yes not good enough but fact is pretty much every driver on that grid could get a second place in that Merc at least once and quite a few could win in it.

Last edited:
Back