Formula 1 Grand Prix de Monaco 2024Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 325 comments
Ok Charles, maybe you're not overrated.
About a second faster than the rest on the medium tyres.
and half a sec clear on the softs. lord perceval zooming round his kingdom.
meanwhile, LH has some genuine pace this weekend.

Last edited:
Definitely not getting my hopes up for Merc. Not the first time this year they looked good in FP1 & not so much the rest of the weekend when it matters.

Glad to see the Macs up there though.

I'm jumping on the Leclerc bandwagon this weekend. I'll be rooting for him to get that pole and the win. I'm curious to see where Lewis and the Merc will end up. They are showing really good pace. As @McLaren said, they do have a tendency to look strong on Fridays and then fade out when it matters so let's wait and see what happens this time around.

Wonder if the FIA will ever do something about drivers trundling on the racing line during FP and Quali sessions.
I get they want to have cool down laps or make gaps for their runs, but it seems drivers still like to stick to the racing line and have an over reliance on the team warning them.

Yes, the issue is compounded by Monaco being narrow and short

Wonder if the FIA will ever do something about drivers trundling on the racing line during FP and Quali sessions.
I get they want to have cool down laps or make gaps for their runs, but it seems drivers still like to stick to the racing line and have an over reliance on the team warning them.

Yes, the issue is compounded by Monaco being narrow and short
This is the issue, the cars are 2 meters wide, there's only so much drivers can do with limited rear visibility and a narrow road. Engineers need to be earning their money and telling them better.

Also, some drivers appear to be making more of an issue of it than really needed.

Leclerc better get his win this time, otherwise next week is absolutely ruined for me.

Last edited:
Leclerc better get his win this time, otherwise next week is absolutely ruined for me.
He does deserve to win a home race.
Hopefully Ferrari does not forget to have his tires out, or strip the lugnut for the FR wheel, ask him to box during an overtake.

It's looking really good for Leclerc. Fingers crossed this is the year where he gets the pole and the win at his home race. Out of all the drivers in FP3, he looked the most at ease at the track with the car looking very compliant. I hope he'll bring that into qualifying and the race.

Red Bull as usual getting on top of their issues before qualy. I think it is the first time this year the Mercs have not looked like they've completely fallen off. Getting excited for qualy now!!!

Biggest ever cars on a track the sport has long outgrown.

Nothing you can do but suck it up and enjoy the glorified time trial.

Biggest ever cars on a track the sport has long outgrown.

Nothing you can do but suck it up and enjoy the glorified time trial.
Monaco has been a time trial for 30+ years.
Long gone are those cigar shaped F1s from the 60s
1716639656084.png

I still love Monaco. It’s the only truly unique circuit on the calendar, and the only circuit that just completing a lap around is impressive. Yeah the cars have outgrown the circuit, but to me that’s part of the character of the circuit, never in a million years would it be introduced to the calendar. I feel like so many people now, or even pre DTS, expect every circuit to be an overtaking frenzy on a track featuring multiple 500m plus straights into heavy breaking zones. There’s a place for variety in the sport, and I love how much Monaco pushes the extreme end of the spectrum.

I still love Monaco. It’s the only truly unique circuit on the calendar, and the only circuit that just completing a lap around is impressive. Yeah the cars have outgrown the circuit, but to me that’s part of the character of the circuit, never in a million years would it be introduced to the calendar. I feel like so many people now, or even pre DTS, expect every circuit to be an overtaking frenzy on a track featuring multiple 500m plus straights into heavy breaking zones. There’s a place for variety in the sport, and I love how much Monaco pushes the extreme end of the spectrum.
So should a track be Finish in the order you qualify in?
May as well put train tracks down, then place cars on train flatcar in the order they qualified in and then have the train run the 56 laps.

You said it yourself, the train would not be allowed today, yet exemptions are made for it in all areas not just the track requirements, but also advertising as they want their own watch brand advertised.

It’s the only truly unique circuit on the calendar
What positive qualities make it unique? It being a street circuit used to be its USP but the IndyCar World Series has added so many more and even some good ones like Singapore and Baku. For better or worse, Miami and Las Vegas also offer the be-seen "glamour" of a Grand Prix to grand pricks.

It's unique because it's the only track on the calendar that is there but legally shouldn't be.

What positive qualities make it unique? It being a street circuit used to be its USP but the IndyCar World Series has added so many more and even some good ones like Singapore and Baku. For better or worse, Miami and Las Vegas also offer the be-seen "glamour" of a Grand Prix to grand pricks.

It's unique because it's the only track on the calendar that is there but legally shouldn't be.
I doubt its truly a Grade 1 track.
The FIA are the ones that grade tracks, they can give what ever grade they really want to a track.
They could say Pikes Peak is "Grade 1".

Monaco today would be Grade 2

A drag strip knee-deep in buzzard vomit would be a unique track in F1. Can't say as it'd be enjoyable.

Uniqueness is not automatically a virtue.

And because the law regarding public photography and videography in Monaco means that the TV feed is entirely controlled by the principality rather than F1 and is of a wholly different standard as a result.

And because the law regarding public photography and videography in Monaco means that the TV feed is entirely controlled by the principality rather than F1 and is of a wholly different standard as a result.
F1 took over the production in 2023 I believe.

Back