Formula 1 Grande Premio Heineken do Brasil 2018Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 227 comments
Great race in Brazil, would be a travesty to not have the track in F1 anymore.

Don't think Ocon made the move stick initially so should've gave it up, he shouldn't be getting tangled up like that and back off. We you unlap yourself you should be able to drive right around the leader and not jeopardize the race outcome, they were side by side for much of it in tight corners. Take Max on the straight coming right up if you have the speed. Brain dead race interference.

Max is one of the top drivers for sure. Probably a good time for him to learn not to be as trusting when he's winning races later on in his career.

There shouldnt be any punishment for the altercation. I read allegations of Max almost punching Ocon, only to be intervened by FIA officials. But after watching the footage it was clearly an exaggeration.
And had Ocon not been extremely mature in that situation? qaand gave Max the slap he was asking for?

He wasn't in the process of being lapped. Verstappen lapped him while Ocon was in pitlane. Ocon wasn't defending, but attacking. He indeed has the right to unlap if faster.
My bad - I was commenting on what I saw, but I actually came into the room just as the pair were in the middle of the Senna S and hence I missed the fact that the circumstances were not what they looked like to me. (I was in the process of making my dinner!)

It doesn't change my view that Ocon was in the wrong (well, on the track at least), but it does mean that the comments about him having the right to un-lap himself make more sense now.

So.. Max already started his community service today.

Screenshot_20181112-143414__01.jpg

Reports going around last night that Merc were on the very edge, Lewis’s engine was one lap away from failing!

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/139991/hamilton-engine-was-one-lap-away-from-failure

Last year, can you imagine the reaction if you where told that Mercedes would have more mechanical DNF’s than Ferrari and were slower in a straight line?!

I recall in the pre-race show Toto made a quick comment about the possibility of getting a DNF. He was just saying how "If we finish today, we'll wrap things up, if we DNF then there will be excitement going in to Abu Dhabi". Interviews like that are why a lot of us, especially the media, like to analyze things under a microscope. Sometimes things said allude to real possibilities and problems they are trying to downplay.

It does sound kind of ridiculous though, to think a car with an engine that is about to fail still manages to take a win.

Now that I think of it, it was during FP3 that there were reports of smoke from one of the Mercs, and even on the grid before the formation lap, there was a minor smell of oil and so on at the rear.

I recall in the pre-race show Toto made a quick comment about the possibility of getting a DNF. He was just saying how "If we finish today, we'll wrap things up, if we DNF then there will be excitement going in to Abu Dhabi". Interviews like that are why a lot of us, especially the media, like to analyze things under a microscope. Sometimes things said allude to real possibilities and problems they are trying to downplay.

It does sound kind of ridiculous though, to think a car with an engine that is about to fail still manages to take a win.

Now that I think of it, it was during FP3 that there were reports of smoke from one of the Mercs, and even on the grid before the formation lap, there was a minor smell of oil and so on at the rear.
Yeah Lewis had engine issues in practice and every time he got on the throttle on the run down to the final corner his car puffed

I'm really surprised Max turned in towards the apex with Ocon there to begin with. If we changed things up and this was a case of Max in say, 4th & Ocon in 5th, would Max be far enough ahead that Ocon should've conceded or is Ocon close enough where Max should give space?

Honest question. Not absolving Ocon for what he did or pushing blame on Max for on-track incident, but Ocon was carrying a lot of speed into Turn 1 which is why he went wide and came back down next to Max. He should've conceded after the turn so Max could go through, but it may have also been wise for Max to realize he wasn't backing off and go a bit wide himself. Let the team complain to the officials Ocon was impeding him afterwards.

Initially I thought Max was driving in his usual abrasive manner, but after watching the replay from another angle it looked 50/50 to me. Ocon should have let off a bit, and Max (as the faster driver in this instance) is responsible for making a safe pass. While Ocon should have let off - he was also at the edge of the track when Max turned in.

However, I saw nothing as obnoxious during the race as I did reading this thread. You guys "hate" Ocon because he cost a driver a race win? Boohoo. It happens to loads of drivers and it'll happen again. The foaming-at-the-mouth rage is childish and isn't needed here. Those same people then expressing outrage that Max is penalized for attacking another driver? Equally stupid.

Calm the hell down, it's a race. You guys are embarrassing the whole forum.

If only Max had the benefit of the radar...wouldve known exactly where Ocon was...they need to be installed in all f1 cars immediately 👍

I'm really surprised Max turned in towards the apex with Ocon there to begin with. If we changed things up and this was a case of Max in say, 4th & Ocon in 5th, would Max be far enough ahead that Ocon should've conceded or is Ocon close enough where Max should give space?

Honest question. Not absolving Ocon for what he did or pushing blame on Max for on-track incident, but Ocon was carrying a lot of speed into Turn 1 which is why he went wide and came back down next to Max. He should've conceded after the turn so Max could go through, but it may have also been wise for Max to realize he wasn't backing off and go a bit wide himself. Let the team complain to the officials Ocon was impeding him afterwards.
As Lewis said to Max in the cool down room, Ocon had nothing to loose. Max had everything to loose and should have given him the space on the inside either way.
That said Ocon shouldn't really be making a pass at the leader in a chicane as that's a difficult move when your racing for position, let alone trying to unlap yourself against the fastest car in the race.

Back