Formula 1 Großer Preis Santander Von Deutschland 2012

• Thread starter ghskilla
  • 620 comments
Not just because i am Brazilian but i see Ferrari 1/2, somehow i see Massa going for the win and possibly the pole as well. If he continues to drive aggressively like the he is now, attacking at all costs, he will prove why he deserves to stay.

Yay Hockenheim. I prefer this to the Nurburgring and the old Hockenheim. The new one is better.

I like it, too. I think the old Hockenheim was over-rated. It was mostly decided by whoever had the most powerful engine.

Same here...always felt the Newbore'ring never allowed the driver to really stretch out the legs of the car and the so-called sweepers just seem rather tight and artificial.

Same here...always felt the Newbore'ring never allowed the driver to really stretch out the legs of the car and the so-called sweepers just seem rather tight and artificial.

Odd, I have the same opinion but on "New" Hockenheim. I find the Nurburgring GP (other than the tight, twisty Tilke bit at the start) a place where you really have to be on the limit and really committed into the corners.
You also have to be committed at Hockenheim but I always feel that every corner feels truncated and short, like you want to run the car wide after the apex but the track stops you and wants you take a different line.

I do like some corners at Hockenheim (mostly the stadium section) but it does feel like a big track squashed into a small area.

The old Hockenheim was the best in my view, followed by the pre Tilke butchery of the Nurburgring.

I don't personally care much for either track now, although I think Nurburgring is still better.

Sachsenring is much better than both, but if that had a Grand Prix it would end up being ruined just like nearly every other track that hosts a Grand Prix.

Seems like a track that might favour the Mercedes, so a Schuamcher win is on the cards, especially considering that he likes this track, and has a pretty good history here.

Though it's more likely that a Red Bull or a Ferrari (yes, Massa can win this weekend) will win that him.

I am predicting a Lotus or Red Bull Victory. Its going to be warm as it is well and truly summertime in Germany right now. So tires will be important but Vettel has an agenda. He is on a mission. Three wheels won't stop him from getting pole and the win...

You also have to be committed at Hockenheim but I always feel that every corner feels truncated and short, like you want to run the car wide after the apex but the track stops you and wants you take a different line.

Not sure why, but Hockenheim seems a bit more enjoyable to me to watch on TV; and some of the tighter corners are wide enough to allow more overtaking. Then again, many circuits' flowing, high-speed sweepers have been slowly exterminated, bypassed, or circumvented in the past twenty years, so it was a sign of things to come in motorsports.

Maybe it's because the new-Nurburgring has a lot of natural elevation that is somewhat ignored by a rather cookie-cutter, constant-radii cornered circuit, whereas the Hockenheimring's lack of any serious elevation might as well be in southern Louisiana or Jacarepagua.

To each their own...

On the old Hockenheimring, I think this article I read in ESPNF1 is an excellent read. And we may like or dislike the old Hockenheim, but the fact remains that it was unique. As Monaco was, as Silverstone was, as Zandvoort was , as Spa was. Almost every round of the Formula 1 world championship had a unique and distinct feel to it. And that's what we're lacking in this modern era of Tilke tracks. Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig straights leading into tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight corners. Yuck.

I especially like this part:

ESPNF1
This circuit was the complete opposite to the Nürburgring, its flat banana-shaped layout with the stadium complex at one end scarcely being the hallmark of a demanding race track. But, strangely enough, the 1970 race had been exceptionally good thanks to a superb slipstreaming contest between the Ferrari of Jacky Ickx and the Lotus of the eventual winner, Jochen Rindt. That and the fact that Hockenheim - Clark's fatality notwithstanding - was a rather eerie place.
Spectators were excluded from the long loop through the woods but they were packed into the splendid stadium. As a result, the cars would disappear, the drivers pedal-to-the-metal in a world of their own before hammering down the long return straight and igniting an explosion of sound as they burst into the stadium in front of an excitable and Pilsner-fuelled packed house.

On the subject of FP1, it is nice to see Button up there, but I guess - FP1 being FP1 - that means litle.

Meanwhile, Bottas stuffed Senna's Williams backwards into the tyre barriers, I just hope the car can be ready for FP2, or else Bruno will be even more handicapped than he usually is by missing FP1.

Best (and probably only, for now) shot of the new McLaren packag:

204543.jpg

On the old Hockenheimring, I think this article I read in ESPNF1 is an excellent read. And we may like or dislike the old Hockenheim, but the fact remains that it was unique. As Monaco was, as Silverstone was, as Zandvoort was , as Spa was. Almost every round of the Formula 1 world championship had a unique and distinct feel to it. And that's what we're lacking in this modern era of Tilke tracks. Biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig straights leading into tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight corners. Yuck.

I don't recall watching a dull race at the old Hockenheim circuit. All those long straights followed by tight chicanes always provided good entertainment. For TV viewers and marshals anyway.

I don't recall watching a dull race at the old Hockenheim circuit. All those long straights followed by tight chicanes always provided good entertainment. For TV viewers and marshals anyway.

Putting it like that you almost make it sound like a Tilke-track too, lol. But - before anyone gets any ideas about it - I'll just add that the two first chicanes to appear were only "tight" for a classic F1 viewer, in fact they were "speed reducers" much like the La Sarthe chicanes.

The third and last chicane added, after Depailler's death, was indeed tight. It provided us, however, an unforgettable F1 moment (Piquet punching and kicking Salazar :lol: )

^ Presume they left enough fuel in for that lap to be completed?...

The Lotus update looks more like a standalone F-Duct and nothing related to the DRS to me. Unless air channels through the engine cover out the lower hole until DRS is open?

Oh, Schumi... He lost the car in T11 and pretty much destroyed it.

However, Schumi mentioned something about low ride height at the rear in T7 before his crash.

He admitted being on the radio and not concentrating...

...and five-place grid penalty for Nico for gearbox change.

Last edited:
Anyone know what happened at the end of GP2 free practice this morning? I'm sat in the stands trying.to work it out, as we saw all the cars go through the first corner then pretty much stop, and I saw on the screen one of the cars going through something like a car park with people running in front of the car :scared:

On a different note, from where I am sat (pit straight just before the first corner), in the dry in P1, Button looked visibly faster than anyone else through the first corner, apart from possibly Alonso who looked fast too.

@ianparkesf1
"Schu apologises for crash, lack of concentration - talking, altering settings. But on board shows hands on steering wheel whole time. Hmmmm!"

Back