Formula 1 Heineken Dutch Grand Prix 2021Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 327 comments
Bottas gave Lewis a tow (smart move, try everything) but still Max on pole. His #10

Well deserved!

Edit: my mistake. Bottas did not give Lewis a tow! Lewis managed to win in each sector and closed the gap fully by himself. Only 0,038...

Last edited:

Looks like another case of Haas not having their ducks in order is what caused Vettel to be knocked out of Q1, as well as doing a good job of causing internal strife between their drivers.

Still the thing I don't really get when people wanting more gravel traps. I understand and second the point that mistakes would be punished. But it just ruins racing in modern times when every little mistake will lead to SC or even red flags. I just hope there won't be too many tomorrow but chances are high.

I'll put the SC over under at 2.5 and red flag over under at 1.5. :lol:

On an ultra high speed one-line bull ring, no margin for error, cars dancing on the ragged edge almost all the time. On a track covered with sand, marbles and pebbles - and swept by North Sea winds. There will be tears.

Last edited:
Did anyone realize, that the 18 thousands of a second, that Hamilton is behin Max, is the exakt same time, that Max improved upon in his second run? That's just incredible. Had Max not improved, Hamilton would've exactly matched his time, but would still be counted second, as Max ran the time first. But it would've looked so effing cool. It's like Max felt it and just wanted to make sure. :P

Last edited:
Again with the booing. It's so obnoxious, though at least it sounded like some of it stopped almost immediately.

Max with a fantastic lap, and more drama with Mazepin. Assuming Haas kept him up to speed, why the hell would you attempt to overtake Mick when Vettel is right behind you? More importantly, what difference does it make when Mick is going to dust you anyway?

The dude consistently finds himself 🤬 up someone else's run.

Just caught up, predictable outcome but impressive final laps from both to end up so close. Shame any chance of good racing tomorrow is about 5% higher than the chances at Monaco. It's just far too tight.

Props to Latifi for watching Russell spin out and thinking "Anything you can do I can do better", really nailed it.

On a minor note did the FIA say why Q2 wasn't restarted? 1:38 was enough time for many drivers to get round and start a lap. Did they choose not to because there probably wasn't enough time for all 13 cars to do it?

Did anyone realize, that the 18 thousands of a second, that Hamilton is behin Max, is the exakt same time, that Max improved upon in his second run? That's just incredible. Had Max not improved, Hamilton would've exactly matched his time, but would still be counted second, as Max ran the time first. But it would've looked so effing cool. It's like Max felt it and just wanted to make sure. :P
I thought it was determined if Max hadn't improved his time, Max would then only be ahead by .004. Maybe I got lost in some bad Reddit math.

Satellite view of the Netherlands earlier today....

1630781361294.png

I thought it was determined if Max hadn't improved his time, Max would then only be ahead by .004. Maybe I got lost in some bad Reddit math.
When Max crossed the line he went up .038 on his previous lap, which was the gap that showed up when Hamilton finished his lap. 1:08.923 was Max's initial first lap, which matches Hamilton's final time.

In Q3 Verstappen again went out early to stake his claim to pole and he claimed provisional pole with an impressive lap of 1:08.923. Neither Mercedes driver had an initial response and Bottas took P2 0.099s behind the Red Bull, with Hamilton just under five hundredths of a second further back in third place.

In the final runs Verstappen proved unbeatable. Hamilton found more time but in the end it was only enough to match the Red Bull driver’s earlier lap and Verstappen secured pole for his home grand prix with a stunning lap of 1:08.885.

On a minor note did the FIA say why Q2 wasn't restarted? 1:38 was enough time for many drivers to get round and start a lap. Did they choose not to because there probably wasn't enough time for all 13 cars to do it?
sessions with less than 2 minutes are not being restarted in general in F1

Again with the booing. It's so obnoxious, though at least it sounded like some of it stopped almost immediately.
Dutch former racing driver Guido van der Garde was doing the post-qualy interview with Lewis and told folks to knock it off, after which most of them stopped. There was a mild applause after the interview ended.

Wonder if RB should do an engine swap for perez.
Since he was knocked out of Q1, and near the back, a few more places wont hurt and the will get a penalty out of the way.

Wonder if RB should do an engine swap for perez.
Since he was knocked out of Q1, and near the back, a few more places wont hurt and the will get a penalty out of the way.
Post interview with Horner: "We have to take a penalty for engine swap somewhere in the season so maybe it is best to do it now". (based on the poor quali and thus P16 for Checo).

So I wouldn't be surprised if Checo starts from the pit

Really like the layout here, the narrow track and close barriers gives the cars a tremendous sense of speed that you just don't get at places like Paul Ricard.

Would've liked to see gravel or grass on the outside of Turn 3 but I like the fact that the track has several places that can really bite when the drivers make mistakes.

Back