Formula 1 Heineken Grande Prêmio De São Paulo 2022Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 341 comments
Didn't Leclerc take pole at Monaco? And wasn't it a full Ferrari front row?

That being the case... what would have been the benefit to Perez to spin on purpose when he was already third with his team-mate alongside him?

Seems like a weird thing to do and to claim to have done.

That being the case... what would have been the benefit to Perez to spin on purpose when he was already third with his team-mate alongside him?

This is what I'm not understanding. What benefit would it have served him?

Did he crash to prevent Max from taking third from him? Why?

Not sure why George didn't get DotD. He won the sprint and had a flawless Grand Prix.

It was good of Max to get Checo and Charles even on points leading in to Abu Dhab to make things more exciting for WDC #2. Saracasm!

I think the "argument" is that Verstappen was on a pole setting lap? Or at least, on his way to best Perez's time easily?

My question for Abu Dhabi is will Mercedes be as competitive there too or did Red Bull perhaps set up their car wrong for this Grand Prix and that this performance was just a 1 off like Ferrari was in Mexico? Cause it was quite something watching the Merc keeping up with the Red Bull on such a long straight in Brazil particularly when that has been Reb Bull biggest strengths this season.

My question for Abu Dhabi is will Mercedes be as competitive there too or did Red Bull perhaps set up their car wrong for this Grand Prix and that this performance was just a 1 off like Ferrari was in Mexico? Cause it was quite something watching the Merc keeping up with the Red Bull on such a long straight in Brazil particularly when that has been Reb Bull biggest strengths this season.
I think it's mostly that the Merc was set up in the sweet spot, which is incredibly small. Abu Dhabi does suit the Merc well as it has a good mix of low- and medium-speed, with very few high-speed corners, however it does lack the thin air found at Brazil and Mexico to negate it's drag.

Anyone care about FACC?

1 - Mercedes - 363
2 - Red Bull - 355
3 - Ferrari - 267

4 - Alpine - 197
5 - McLaren - 184
6 - Aston Martin - 172
7 - Haas - 133
8 - Alfa Romeo - 115
9 - AlphaTauri - 99
10 - Williams - 80

Only one confirmed position: Ferrari will be third. Mercedes and Red Bull separated by eight points, Alpine, McLaren, and Aston Martin can all finish 4th, 5th, or 6th, Haas will be no worse than 8th, Williams can still overtake AlphaT.

The individual scores are fascinating too. Perez has 240 of Red Bull's points, but Mercedes' two drivers are separated by just nine points. Ferrari, Alpine, and Alpha all pretty close, but Ricciardo vastly outscores Norris, Bottas only has 13 of the team's points, and Latifi scores all but FOUR of Williams'.

Screw the real thing :D

Not sure why George didn't get DotD. He won the sprint and had a flawless Grand Prix.

It was good of Max to get Checo and Charles even on points leading in to Abu Dhab to make things more exciting for WDC #2. Saracasm!
Would have been deserving but Hamilton drove very well after dropping back and having to come through. Alonso could have taken it as well.

Alfa gets a 1,000 for Euro fine for their pit lane issue.

Ricciardo will have a 3 place grid drop for the next race and picks up 2 penalty points (not that the points matter as he'll be on 8/12).

Just finished watching the replay. Got a big laugh out of hearing Leclerc straight-up begging his engineers to tell Carlos to give up the podium, while being roughly 4 seconds down. The gall of that request was something else. :lol:

Not sure why I thought there might be some additional context to the Max/Checo incident by watching the replay, but, yeah... The last time I've seen someone throw away an entire year's worth of Goodwill in one go was when Matt DiBenedetto lost his Cup ride in NASCAR. If there is some truth to this Monaco story, then I absolutely get it, but there's still a time and place, and occasionally a need to check the overall optics of a situation. Like I said, Max is still really bad at considering some of the "big picture" aspects of racing in F1, and hurting your teammates own championship race for basically no reason (while simultaneously hinting at some very sensitive inter-team drama) is totally not the way to go about it.

While I know George isn't one of the more popular drivers, I was honestly pretty happy to see Mercedes get the win, let alone a 1-2, after the year they've had. I wonder what clicked this weekend to give them that extra speed.

Also, as much as I root for Ricciardo, this is what played through my head after his lap 1 incident:

F1 Reddit is hilarious. People are legitimately defending Max here.

Are we back in 2020 and 2021 where we're pretending this idiot wasn't a danger to everyone? Yes, he absolutely looked better this year, but that's all fell to the wayside in one whole day.
These are the best quotes from Max:
“And okay, if you don't leave me space, are we just going to collide?”

He added: “I thought after last year, we maybe forget about it, we can finally race you know. Because first of all, when I went side by side, I thought okay, let's have a good race here.

"And my intention is never to crash,” he said. “But I could feel he was just not going to leave me the space into that corner. And then yeah, we collide.

"I want to race. I want to have a good fight, but when the other one doesn't want to work with you….”
For someone whose intention is not to crash, he does a bloody good job of causing them. Of course his intention is not to crash, his intention is to force people clean off the road. It's dangerous, and he needs to learn.

I'm quite frankly amazed Max didn't get any penalty points, especially when you think of Gasly, but of course he wouldn't....

These are the best quotes from Max:

For someone whose intention is not to crash, he does a bloody good job of causing them. Of course his intention is not to crash, his intention is to force people clean off the road. It's dangerous, and he needs to learn.

I'm quite frankly amazed Max didn't get any penalty points, especially when you think of Gasly, but of course he wouldn't....
Actually he did get penalty points. Deservedly so.

Having read up on it more the insinuation seems to be that PER only saw VER as his main rival for the season (Because, you know, Ferrari) and so wanted to keep VER behind him, knowing that VER was on a better lap at the time. Still quite far-fetched IMO, though.

Still, it is quite the accusation from the media. They surely must have had some good insider knowledge to make the claim, so be interesting to see where this one goes.

There are also other suggestions that his issue is actually not with quali but the strategy in the race. I remember the wife beater at the time moaning that VER didn't get preferential treatment in the race.

Watched that incident back and that was too aggressive from Max, so I believe the penalty was justified.

Also Danny Ric was clumsy and imo, Lando/Charles were both unlucky.

Watched that incident back and that was too aggressive from Max, so I believe the penalty was justified.
The stewards also went that way. Here is the extract from the decision document:

The Stewards determined that Verstappen attempted to pass Hamilton on the outside
of turn 1 by braking very late. He did not complete the pass in Turn 1 and his excess
speed compromised his entry into turn 2, at which point he made contact with
Hamilton. While the Stewards recognize that Hamilton could possibly have given a
little more room at the apex of turn 2, the Stewards determined that Verstappen was
predominantly at fault.

I've seen this said a few times. How would he have known this? Is there a recording of his team radio?
Yeah I don't see how he could have, so I guess what they actually mean is "PER assumed VER would go faster". Like I say, sounds far-fetched to me. Especially the way he crashed, could've easily wrecked his gearbox.

It's all just heresay though unless the FIA decide to investigate.

I understand that to become a winner, or world champion, you need to be a bit ruthless.
But that they almost all are also petulant little dicks shows that they're all a bunch of spoiled *****. Max and Charles were yesterday's brats, other races have different brats.

I think I'm done with F1.

This from a guy who accused Lewis of trying to murder him at Silverstone last year...
20221114_144701.jpg

Then again, people still fawn over Senna for deliberately crashing, so it's not unexpected to see this kind of action.

This from a guy who accused Lewis of trying to murder him at Silverstone last year...
View attachment 1208159
Then again, people still fawn over Senna for deliberately crashing, so it's not unexpected to see this kind of action.
A person with sound judgement and clear reasoning would say "I went around the outside and immediately felt he wasn't going to leave space, so I JUST BACKED OUT OF IT because I knew we were going to get together"....you will never hear that from Max especially when the other driver involved is Lewis.....never fails to amaze me.....despite his impressive speed and raw talent, I've come to really dislike him as a driver even more so after this race.

Crazy that someone can be quoted as saying he deliberately went for a move knowing it would lead to a crash, and there’s no further investigation. I don’t understand why F1 is throwing away it’s credibility for this guy.

Crazy that someone can be quoted as saying he deliberately went for a move knowing it would lead to a crash, and there’s no further investigation. I don’t understand why F1 is throwing away it’s credibility for this guy.
Drama attracts viewers.

Back