3. Perez
4. Ocon
5. Stroll
6. Sainz
7. Hamilton
8. Russell
9. Alonso
10. Piastri (FL)

Not much positive to say about this race weekend.

Sainz gets penalized for something that's not his fault. Fans get boned for FP1 and 2. Charles fails to convert another pole into a win. Lando goes out early. Max gets the win after driving like an asshat. Aston inches closer in on McLaren in the WCC. Justine Beaver.

But... nice lunge from Charles for P2, and Oscar got back into the points!

thanks-i-hate-it-thanks.gif

Actually thought the race was pretty decent, more overtaking than I expected, on areas of the track I didn’t expect to see it. Certainly wasn’t the worst track I’ve seen them race on.

Verstappen and Red Bulls attitude to the penalty highlights the pointlessness of that penalty, was very much just, oh well. Admittedly Ferrari had more pace than they were expecting but punishment on those moves needs to be heavier.

They also need to train the Marshalls better, Hulkenbergs car stopped and the Marshall immediately went and out his hands on it and then meant on the car with bare skin whilst it was still in a charged state (orange light) instead of waiting for the car to be safe (green light). Nothing happened but it could have gone the other way.

Horrible driving from Verstappen. I used to be a big fan of his as he climbed through the grid and was one of the more interesting, exciting drivers to watch whilst Hamilton romped home but since he became a championship front-runner, it's really soured.

His trick of opening the steering to go wide and force the other driver off works but he isn't clever enough or doesn't care enough to even pretend it's a legitimate move. Just like when he did it in Brazil to Hamilton, he yet again didn't even bother to keep his own car on the track.

Drives like Senna and I don't mean that as a compliment.

Good race. Too bad my boy Lando was out so early.
Any word on what happened there? His car kind of just went flying out of nowhere.

Horrible driving from Verstappen. I used to be a big fan of his as he climbed through the grid and was one of the more interesting, exciting drivers to watch whilst Hamilton romped home but since he became a championship front-runner, it's really soured.

His trick of opening the steering to go wide and force the other driver off works but he isn't clever enough or doesn't care enough to even pretend it's a legitimate move. Just like when he did it in Brazil to Hamilton, he yet again didn't even bother to keep his own car on the track.

Drives like Senna and I don't mean that as a compliment.
Couldn't agree more. The DTS crowd thinks he's God's gift to racing but I'm wholly unimpressed by how he races other people. The F1 subreddit has become a cesspool as a result. Either slobber over Max or get downvoted to hell.

I think people are exaggerating the L1T1 move a bit. To be clear, I think Verstappen 100% deserved the penalty, but some people are acting as if he tried to kill someone.
I think he intended to push Leclerc a bit wide to the edge of the track, but not over (as loads of drivers have done loads of times at the start). He underestimated how slippery the corner was and understeered way further out than he intended. Don't get me wrong, the intended move is still a bit dirty, but not illegal. He is, however, still responsible for keeping his car under control, and therefore deserved the penalty for forcing Leclerc off track.
I don't think a higher penalty was justified. For years forcing another driver off track has been a 5 second penalty, why suddenly change it now, just because it's Verstappen?

For the incident with Russel, I think it was a bit 50/50 between them. Verstappen went for a highly optimistic move and initiated the incident. Russel, however, acted like Verstappen wasn't even there at all and just fully steered into him, not leaving a centimeter of space. So while Verstappen caused the initial situation, Russel actually caused the contact.
Edit: I just saw that Russel admitted 100% fault in the incident, stating that he simply did not see Verstappen.

Last edited:
For years forcing another driver off track has been a 5 second penalty, why suddenly change it now, just because it's Verstappen?
Frequency of occurance. A five second time penalty is no longer a deterrant, if it ever was one. If the punishment does little to prevent reoccurance or reoffending, the punishment needs changing. Bring back stop-and-go penalties.

I think the 5 second penalty would be better if it could not be served during a pitstop, so you'd have to build a gap in the race.

It was a little weird though how they simply didn't ask Verstappen to give the place back.

Last edited:
I think the 5 second penalty would be better if it could not be served during a pitstop, so you'd have to build a gap in the race.

It was a little weird though how they simply didn't ask Verstappen to give the place back.

Because like Verstappen, Red Bull are extremely arrogant.

Frequency of occurance. A five second time penalty is no longer a deterrant, if it ever was one. If the punishment does little to prevent reoccurance or reoffending, the punishment needs changing. Bring back stop-and-go penalties.

Also in a time where gaps can just be made in a few laps to negate it as well, it means zero, yeah Leclerc had decent pace today but how many times have we seen 5 second penalties get countered by the driver just pulling a gap. Not just MV and Red Bull but others as well. It’s barely even a slap on the wrist anymore.

If you consider it as something to take a critical look at for the future, e.g. by a change of regulations, I think that would be a good thing to do.

But given the regulations as they are now, I think Verstappen was given the correct penalty

Of course, but FIA has the final word, so they should've been the ones to give the order.

100%. And for all we know, they could have. We don’t get the FIA transmissions anymore, given how long it took for the penalty to be given, and judging by what GP had said on the radio about not giving it back, it wouldn’t shock me if RB had been given the order to give the place back and they ignored it knowing they’d get a pointless 5s penalty by doing so.

Of course, but FIA has the final word, so they should've been the ones to give the order.
Didn't they change that a while back? I think it's now the rule that the stewards will no longer tell drivers to give back the place, it's up to the team to decide that for themselves, and if they don't, they are given a penalty instead.

The passing zone into T14 is very interesting and I think it is the best part of the track.

Latest Posts

Back