Formula 1 in GT6

• Thread starter TheRaikko
  • 357 comments
If GT5 allow you to paint all cars. The community would make unofficial cars. And thats fine.

But they wouldn't allow it, that's what i'm saying. If GT6 had a livery editor the Ferrari F1 cars would be restricted. Do you really think they would be happy with a car in a game called 'Ferrari F2007' and let people paint it like a McLaren? No.

But they wouldn't allow it, that's what i'm saying. If GT6 had a livery editor the Ferrari F1 cars would be restricted. Do you really think they would be happy with a car in a game called 'Ferrari F2007' and let people paint it like a McLaren? No.

Well then why do people on forza 3 paint the Toyota GTONE into a Bently speed 8?

Well then why do people on forza 3 paint the Toyota GTONE into a Bently speed 8?

Because that is Toyota, not Ferrari. They are very stringent with video game licensing. Plus there is the other problem of the F1 licence PD don't have. If there was a field of F1 Ferrari's painted to make them look like the whole F1 field you have F1 racing and that isn't allowed.

Because that is Toyota, not Ferrari. They are very stringent with video game licensing. Plus there is the other problem of the F1 licence PD don't have. If there was a field of F1 Ferrari's painted to make them look like the whole F1 field you have F1 racing and that isn't allowed.[/QUOT

Yes it is allowed as the random online folk who painted them cant be sued. They made the logo's from scratch. Many people on mod nation racers paint their cars into real f1 cars even tough they dont have any car licence.

Because that is Toyota, not Ferrari. They are very stringent with video game licensing. Plus there is the other problem of the F1 licence PD don't have. If there was a field of F1 Ferrari's painted to make them look like the whole F1 field you have F1 racing and that isn't allowed.

Yes it is allowed as the random online folk who painted them cant be sued. They made the logo's from scratch. Many people on mod nation racers paint their cars into real f1 cars even tough they dont have any car licence.

But PD could if they allowed it. Bringing up Modnation racers is silly because that doesn't resemble F1 racing in the slightest.

you still don't understand do you.

No I'm afraid I don't.

I do not know how long Codemasters hold the F1 licence, but if it expires in the next few years I cannot see why, if Sony get the licence, PD couldn't be put in charge of the next F1 game, using a cut down version of GT6's UI as well as it's Graphics and Physics engines.

No I'm afraid I don't.

I do not know how long Codemasters hold the F1 licence, but if it expires in the next few years I cannot see why, if Sony get the licence, PD couldn't be put in charge of the next F1 game, using a cut down version of GT6's UI as well as it's Graphics and Physics engines.

LISTEN anybody can make any F1 game called F1 something or other. Studio Liverpool (the guys who made wipeout) made an f1 game called 'F1 2007'

Licences do not run out with games, once they have bought it, they can keep it. It does not mean that only one game can have the F1 licence. If that was so, then F1 would be non-existent due to making no money.

Also Polyphony is not owned by Playstation but it is assisted by them.

And Codemasters will never share anything with Playstation-Exclusive companies like Polyphony Due to the reason that not only do they sell games on all consoles, but that they also are a separate company.

LISTEN anybody can make any F1 game called F1 something or other. Studio Liverpool (the guys who made wipeout) made an f1 game called 'F1 2007'

Not without a license they can't. Also Studio Liverpool are a development branch wholly owned by Sony. Finally they didn't make a game called F1 2007, it was Formula 1 Championship Edition. There is no official F1 game of the 2007 season.

Licences do not run out with games, once they have bought it, they can keep it.

No it certainly does not work like that. Codemasters originally had a three year license to produce games from F1 2009 to F1 2011. They have now extended that license on an unknown, multi year contract. When that expires they can either extend it again or lose it.

It does not mean that only one game can have the F1 licence. If that was so, then F1 would be non-existent due to making no money.

If the license is exclusive then yes, it does mean only one game can have the F1 license. I don't know what your second statement is about, they obviously make money in ways other than gaming. For a few years there wasn't an official F1 game at all.

Also Polyphony is not owned by Playstation but it is assisted by them.

PD are a subsidiary 100% owned and operated by Sony.

Not without a license they can't. Also Studio Liverpool are a development branch of Sony.

No it certainly does not work like that. Codemasters originally had a three year license to produce games from F1 2009 to F1 2011. They have now extended that license on an unknown, multi year contract. When that expires they can either extend it again or lose it.

If the license is exclusive then yes, it does mean only one game can have the F1 license. I don't know what your second statement is about, they obviously make money in ways other than gaming. For a few years there wasn't an official F1 game at all.

PD are a subsidiary 100% owned and operated by Sony.

Now I think I confused myself.

If Sony get the F1 licence again, then let PD make it based on GT6. Then make it so that if you own and have installed both GT6 and F1 20XX you can play the F1 game using the GT6 disk (in the same way add on packs work on a PC game).

That is very unlikely. The word is Codemasters has an exclusive license deal at least for the next few years, and as it is such a popular title I can't see them relinquishing it anytime soon. Especially with the way F1 has been run in recent years; they're going to milk it for everything it's got until interest in the Codemasters games dies out.

Seeing as that's unlikely PD should add some classic F1 cars to the game. They have existing licences with Ferrari, McLaren, Honda, Toyota, Renault, Alfa Romeo, Mercedes, Ford, Jaguar and BMW and with various buy outs and takeovers, these manufacturers probably own the rights to many other F1 teams (e.g Mercedes GP-Brawn-Honda (who PD also have a licence with)-BAR-Tyrrel. Lotus-Renault-Benneton-Toleman.)

If this can't happen either, PD could add the F1 replica's from GT3 (a standard open cockpit like the FGT would suffice for these cars) or even get a licence for the BOSS GP series (Classic F1, Indycar, CART, GP2, F5000 etc all racing each other).

They could in theory add classic F1 cars, providing they managed to get the licenses. They don't have to be made up either, they can be official, providing they can get the licenses. I'm unsure as to why they haven't done it already.

As far as I know, FOM only have rights to F1 cars from the current year and the year preceding it. The Williams F1 car in iRacing for example, was released after the end of the 2010 F1 season, when FOM no longer hold the rights for the 2009 cars. For rights holding purposes, the 2010 season would begin either at the end of the last race of the 2009, or the day after said last race, not sure which - removing the rights FOM has on the 2009 cars after the final race of 2010. Ferrari have a unique agreement that allows them to keep the rights for their cars, hence how we got the F10. Any cars before the current and previous F1 season (Which currently means any car not from the 2011 or 2012 seasons) should be fair game for any developer.

Another thought is that FOM own the rights to the F1 cars (Both present and classic) actually racing against eachother, even if they do not own the rights to the cars themselves. This would at least explain why there was no event for the F2007/F10 in GT5. But then there is the iRacing example again, where they are allowed to race eachother. Maybe the rules are different if it's against an opponent online as opposed to the AI. The actual use of the Formula 1 name can easily be bypassed, so i'm sure that is not the issue. I believe the issues lies with the aforementioned 'Current and former F1 cars racing against eachother' clause which I think is in the current concorde agreement relating to the video game rights. As it hasn't been made public though, we can't be sure if that is the case (But it sure looks that way).

Last edited:
Sony won't buy the F1 license anytime soon if ever, it's ridiculously high priced, Bernie made sure of that. The best we can hope for is cars like in GT3 and the PD F1 car in premium quality.

They can certainly acquire rights to older cars. If Project CARS on a budget less than 3 million euros can afford to license the 2008 BMW F1 car then PD certainly can as well.

HOPEFULLY GT6 HAS F1 IN IT. BUT I MUCH RATHER HAVE THE OLDER F1 CARS FROM 1982-2005 AS OPPOSE TO THE CRAP WE GOT NOW.
Fernando-Alonso-fernando-alonso-30671386-636-390.jpg

I'd like some classic F1 cars.
Although I doubt I'll sue them.
I haven't used the FGT or for any a-spac races.
The Ferrari F1 once or twice .

not really my cup of tea.

But the historically significant models should be in.
Like any Lotus or the six wheeled Tyrell or williams.

So far in GT5, I had so much fun with Ferrari F1s, but there were only 2 F1 cars, which was really dissapointing for me, will be nice to have full pack of f1 cars...
Would you like to have it too ?
and also cars from which f1 season ? (I want from 2008 Season lol :) )

It isn't an option. Codemasters holds the gaming rights, which means F1 can't appear in GT6. There's nothing PD or Sony could do about that.

I know there is, But GT6 can make it better and the game will be more much more fun !

No.

PD doesn't know how to do fun, for one thing. Look at how they wasted Top Gear in GT5 as an example to that fact. A better physics engine doesn't itself translate to "more fun". Codemasters has made the best F1 game to date for consoles, even if it isn't the most accurate in terms of physics, because there's more to a good racing game than just getting the physics right.

Further, without having all of the F1 circuits and a proper twenty-four-car field, it wouldn't be as good as the Codemasters games. If it doesn't have the full calendar and a full field, it isn't proper F1. It isn't good enough even to have all the cars in the game, but they need to have all of them on track at one time, and at least GT5 wasn't able to do twenty-four cars on track at once, and I doubt GT6 will, at least not if it's on PS3.

It's sure they can not create an F1 season... Codemaster have the license... it's the same thing with Nascar ... they can't put all tracks and cars... they are limited

And without the full calendar it isn't a proper F1 game, and I just don't see PD getting all of the tracks in there.

Formula nippon. Or just create a blank (P) GT Formula and add livery editor.
I don't think GT needs F1 licence, I feel must be is too expensive.

The price doesn't matter since Codemasters already holds the license.

But that game is very flawed and is extremely glitchy. I don't blame anyone who would rather see Formula 1 in Gran Turismo 6.

It's still better than what PD can do with it. Again, having a better physics engine isn't good enough. Codemasters has the full calendar, all the cars and teams, development during the season (not a feature of Gran Turismo games), a penalty system and flags, tire pickup, tire deformation (as I recall), rubber-in, marbling, dry-line forming on wet tracks, more dynamic wet weather (wetter in this spot than in that spot, et cetera), and a full race weekend with three rounds of practice complete with mid-session setup adjustments, three rounds of qualifying, and a full sixty-lap (give or take, depending on the circuit) race.

I wouldn't miss it. Not how it's made in the game. I rather have a new and improved Formula GT.

However, I've tried many F1 games and Gran Turismo still feels better. The F10 for example, that thing feels incredible. If they were to include F1, at least extend it a bit. But I would still rather them focusing on street and racing GT cars.

There should be ayrton senna's f1 car and alain prost f1 car.that'll be an awesome race between two arch rivals.don't forget the tyrell p34,and of course david coulthard/mika hakkinen's mclaren-mercedes.the duel with ferrari would be very awesome

Does no one understand that these cars you're suggesting aren't a possibility because of licensing? PD Has to make originals, or we won't get them...

Does no one understand that these cars you're suggesting aren't a possibility because of licensing? PD Has to make originals, or we won't get them...

Well as we have Renault sport and Ferrari and McLaren and Merc. We could have a grid of those.

Old cars are very much possible, look at other games for evidence.

ZedMan1996
Well as we have Renault sport and Ferrari and McLaren and Merc. We could have a grid of those.

You still don't get it do you? ALL F1 cars and their designs are protected by licensing imposed by FOM (Formula one management, Ferrari is exempt to this, hence the F10 & F2007 in GT5).

Kaz said that PD wanted to put more F1 cars in GT5, but the licensing prices are unreasonably high. I don't know how many times I have to say this and how many threads I need to post it on before people understand that officially licensed F1 cars (other the Ferrari) aren't going to be in GT franchise anytime soon (unless Bernie Ecclestone dies. Even then, still a scarce possibility)

Back