Formula 1 Indefinite break threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 152 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
With the Coronavirus pandemic causing mayhem across the world, pretty much every sport is stuck in a limbo, where they're having to be put on an indefinite break while desperately trying to work out when they can restart, and what to do in the meantime.

To avoid cluttering the Off-season thread and making conversation not related to the Australian Grand Prix in that thread, let's use this thread for any F1 related discussion for the time being.

Formula 1 is trying to keep us entertained with Full Race Replays on their Youtube channel and by hosting an eSports event around the time the actual race should have happened. This is rivalled by Lando Norris' own NotTheBAHGP and a lot more copycat esports races. Discuss them all here.

I thought the thing happening this afternoon on F1 was Lando Norris' NotTheBAHGP. Gonna have two things to watch?!

So the Virtual GP's going well, what with Lando Norris and Jimmy Broadbent missing qualifying cause their games crashed...

The FIA have made a bunch of changes to the rules of F1 in the interest of "let's just get this season done if/when we can" with the focus being on reducing costs, focusing on racing and allowing rules to be changed with a simple majority of the teams rather than unanimous decisions. This should allow tough decisions to be made faster.
https://www.racefans.net/2020/03/31...nges-for-2020-and-2021-in-response-to-crisis/

They might as well try some new race formats whenever the season starts. I seen some talk about a super season from 20-21 which sounds really interesting.

Yeah, there was that format change thrown about some time ago. They could do figure out how to do a half point sprint race or something similar, so they could get 1.5-2 rounds at certain tracks.

Though according to this only two races have been cancelled so far.

1996 Monaco Grand Prix is the next race being broadcast by Formula 1's Youtube channel. Tomorrow at 3pm UK time.
I'm really enjoying these older races considering I didn't start paying attention until 2011. What makes this one special?

I'm really enjoying these older races considering I didn't start paying attention until 2011. What makes this one special?
If you don't know, don't look it up and just enjoy the race. With these classics they're showing, it should be very easy to see why it's a classic as you watch. The only research to do would be to see what the state of the season was at the race preceding.

Lando and Jimmy Broadbent are streaming on twitch and youtube respectively right now with everyone that's gonna be in the race tomorrow. They're doing practice races right now but the real cherry on top is hearing all of these F1 drivers in discord chat trash talking each other, laughing back and forth, just having a good time.

Pretty sure right now I can hear LeClerc, Lando, Albon, LeClerc, Giovinazzi, and Russel. Albon's younger brother is also racing, as is Johnny Herbert!

Edit: Just saw Nick Latifi, Louis Deletraz, and Luca Ghioto on track as well. This is so fun to by a fly on the wall

And Eddie Irvine proving once again how **** he was at driving.

A race you could argue Frentzen would have won if not for Irvine; Frentzen was so much faster than Irvine. Hill and Alesi drop out and who knows?

I watched it. Always loved that race but I've only ever seen the Eurosport broadcast with Allard Kalff and John Watson so it was nice to see it from the BBC side with Murray and Palmer.

The replay of Monaco 96 was awesome. Crazy race.

Irvine was a moving obstacle for pretty much the entire race.

Last edited:
I will also say that Murray Walker and Jonathan Palmer did a fantastic job to sound engaging and enthusiastic given that, despite what a classic race it was, it can't have been easy race on which to commentate due to there literally being so few cars on track to talk about; half of the field was out of the race by lap 11.

Minus points for the television director who, despite runners being in single digits for about 65 laps, managed to miss almost every major overtake (Panis started 14th) and ignored several chances for interesting replays.

Interestingly, the closed captions on the YouTube stream interpret 'Giovinazzi' as 'juvenile Nazi'

Makes me think of the subtitle machine on W1E (a spoof BBC documentary about the BBC, for those who don't know). There's a good clip here inside an article about other subtitle fails. 'Cos lockdown.

Seems like Max really doesnt like the official f1 game. I don’t blame him, it is a bit trash. Lol

Sorry, that's my French coming through. Delayed is the word I was looking for.

Back