Formula 1 Indefinite break threadFormula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 152 comments
68 laps of boredom around a circuit you can't overtake on just for one pathetic championship deciding collision? No idea why that won the vote when the spectacular wet 1996 Spanish GP or the epic chase and that pass of the 1987 British GP were the other choices...

2019 Italian Grand Prix

An okay race. The battle between Hamilton and Leclerc was good; loved Leclerc's wide Ferrari.

It's a shame they didn't repeat Q3 where 9 cars went out on track at the same time as the clock ticked down to 00:00 and 7 of them mistimed their cue to get in one more lap. It's always hilarious to see. Everyone slow as sin up until the second Lesmo then they speed up when they realise they're not going to make it.

There are 5-6 better races from 2019 they could have shown over Italy, but I have a feeling there was some crying Ferrari fans in the comments saying that none of the classic races so far have shown Ferrari doing well.

2016 Brazil - Absolutely nowhere, Vettel spins and Kimi crashes on a safety Car restart
2014 Bahrain - Engine was a pile of crap so 9th
1986 Australia - Alboreto out before turn 1, Johanssen scrapes a lucky podium
1996 Monaco - Schumacher out on lap 1, Irvine out near end
1997 Europe - Schumacher crashes into Villeneuve and ends up beached in the gravel.

This was literally just to please Ferrari fans, nothing else. Also the race may have been chosen by Pirelli, as thier name was in the video title.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/...-next-wednesday-2.7DpDY06kq1FGciww5FNQH9.html
Vote fro Wednesday.

So somebody on Reddit is keeping track of the championship for all the different races Formula 1 is showing in its rewind.
6vc29z5gn4t41.jpg

Spa is now circling the drain, with ticket sales suspended because of Belgian restrictions on sporting events that extend through 8/31.

China 2018 is next. A good race yes, but I can name 5-8 better Chinese Grand Prix's than 2018. Nothing happened in the race until the late safety car.

So somebody on Reddit is keeping track of the championship for all the different races Formula 1 is showing in its rewind.
6vc29z5gn4t41.jpg

Nice chart but Tyrrell and today's Mercedes just are not the same team to me. They never will be. I don't care if BAT purchased Tyrrell for their slot on the grid, I don't care if the 1998 Tyrrell is a BAT product, it definitively ends with Tyrrell and BAR becomes a completely separate continuity from day zero. Different factory, different staff, different everything.

Oh these pointless hills upon which we choose to die...

690939.jpg

Last edited:
Next race tonight is Japan 1994. A great but scary race from memory, mainly for a battle between Jean Alesi and Nigel Mansell for 3rd place.

Watch out for Martin Brundle's crash at the Dunlop. No spoilers if it isn't known to you but it's very scary given what happened there two decades later.

Several Austrian media outlets reporting that F1 are about to announce the season opener at Spielberg on June 7th with the second round 1 week later at the same venue. If true seems pointless unless the other circuits are definitely hosting races.

Brazil 2012 is the next race to be shown. One of the most action packed and nailbiting championship deciders ever. This is going to be good!

What's nice for the American fans is hearing the Sky broadcast this time around instead of the dumbo Speed Network coverage of Bob Varsha. Every race for years in a row they would at some point in the race say "If you've never seen a Formula 1 race before..." and then go on to explain the must mundane simple things that any fan of motorsport already knows. But just in case its your first race and you decided to get into a new sport at the second to last race of a season, they're there for you lol

Every race for years in a row they would at some point in the race say "If you've never seen a Formula 1 race before..." and then go on to explain the must mundane simple things that any fan of motorsport already knows.

To be honest, I find that true for English coverage of Formula One anyway and in wider sports coverage around the world in a lot of cases. It's like they treat every broadcast as though it is the first ever time, meaning that they have to explain things only for people who might happen to be watching for the first time; it's an obsession with audience retention. As though the 10 people who watched last time and couldn't follow it will be completely uninterested and never watch again. That drop in ratings of 10 viewers is disastrous.

But I can imagine it is a lot worse in the USA when presenting something which isn't popular nationwide.

Oh okay, it just seems more obvious with Bob Varsha's slow delivery. So much wasted time that could be spent doing actual commentary while some infographic is on the screen to show what's what.

It was Long Beach 2015 in Formula E when I was introduced to Bob Varsha after Jack Nichols had a race off. Yeah, the coverage was very much aimed at babying each listener rather than commentating on the action. They kept him for following seasons but he kind of ended up as an occasional voice in the box, mainly by keeping an eye on the online reaction. His commentary certainly improved the more he was with Nichols and Franchitti.

Now you know. Bob Varsha has the been the bane of F1 commentary since I started watching in 2012 and probably as long as he's been around before that. I wouldn't mind so much if he had a different voice or cadence but the way he speaks makes it that much worse. Very slow and deliberate. Like talking to a child.

The best commentary duo I've heard was BBC F1 in 2011 when you had Martin Brundle and David Coulthard. Both of them knew what they are talking about, both have the right control of their voices to go up and down when required, and both were entertaining together. It's a shame they only lasted a year, but at least both Sky and the Beeb/C4 got one each.

Back