Formula 1 Japanese Grand Prix 2019Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 206 comments
Shocking from Mercedes. But I guess it doesn't matter.

I don’t understand how Vettel didn’t get a penalty for jumping the start, nor why they changed their minds about Leclerc and Max’s collision... or why that decision had to come at the end of the race.

Race Recap:

Valterri Bottas: Outperformed Lewis all weekend. Outqualified him. Outdragged both Ferarris to the first corner. Drove a perfect race. Opened up a good gap on Vettel and kept that speed advantage all race long. A deserving win for the Finn.

Sebastian Vettel: Fantastic clinching pole in qualifying, but that 'oops' moment we've all come to expect came on the start line on race day, as he almost jumped the start. No penalty, but damage done, back foot all race against Mercedes. But he did a good job staying in there, holding off a faster Hamilton on fresher tires at the end, earning second place for it.

Lewis Hamilton: Horrible start put him in P5, but after the Leclerc-Verstappen clash, he was gifted a podium. Had a chance at the win with a one-stopper on the mediums, but he honored the team's wishes and pitted, winding up third with fastest lap. Not happy with the strategy team for not giving him hards for the middle stint. Still, he drove a good race, showing great pace on all the tires. Maybe next time, champ.

Alex Albon: Yes, he was in the race. Did a good job with the Red Bull, as expected. Damage control for the team after what happened with Max.

Carlos Sainz: Who's a smooth operator?

Charles Leclerc: Stunning recovery drive, after the first lap incident, but not a good day for him, overall. Very clumsy driving in the first lap, taking out Max while following Vettel through the sweeper. Granted, had understeer due to the dirty air, but as Max says: all the drivers know that happens. Charles should have adjusted. His stunt, afterwards, of driving the whole track twice while shedding carbon fiber, was incredibly dangerous. It's a travesty that the FIA haven't thrown the book at him... yet.

Daniel Ricciardo: Great recovery after the disaster in qualifying, and after a difficult race. Made each pit stop count with incredible overtakes and a lot of the excitement in what is normally a very non-overtake-y race.

No one else matters. But spare a minute for poor Max Verstappen, who was on route for a podium before being taken out.

He was keeping the gap to Bottas at around 9 seconds

I can’t see Lewis passing Vettel. Merc screwed themselfs and Lewis

They just didn't want to screw Bottas.

Lewis could have made it work, and even if the tires went off the cliff, might've held off Bottas at the end.

But that would compromise Valterri's race, and could have let Vettel catch up. Mercedes just wanted to be sure they kept the win.

They just didn't want to screw Bottas.

Lewis could have made it work, and even if the tires went off the cliff, might've held off Bottas at the end.

But that would compromise Valterri's race, and could have let Vettel catch up. Mercedes just wanted to be sure they kept the win.
Yeah maybe, but they could have swapped them. I don’t think Lewis would have been able to defend from Bottas on the straight. In the same car with much worse tyres...

Congrats to Bottas & Mercedes for the win and 6th Championship respectively. Though next year is going to be a tough fight if Ferrari can improve their race pace. Surely the laws of probability means they can't keep winning forever :lol:

Very exciting race for sure and lots of scraps and ding dongs throughout the field. It's crazy how similar the tyre life and strategies are compared the GTS' FIA Nations race yesterday. I feel for Lewis because I tried a 1 stop which definitely didn't work :P

JvM
You read spyrrari's message? So in the pics they are on the pallets after being delivered to the teams, then they pick them up from the piles and use how they see fit?

It’s not the pallets they are trying to weigh down ;)

The sand bags are probably to be used to stop water ingress, they are delivered to the teams on pallets. You seemed to have missed that obvious fact hence why people think you are joking.

Thanks guys. I can see where my thinking got reversed there :lol: We don't get any typhoon here down under so I didn't know you use them for flood prevention. Could've probably googled it instead of asking here and make myself look like an idiot lol.

That being said, I don't think he will be penalised for that, as he didn't get the meatball.

It's a difficult call, he ignored a team order to box that was clearly for safety reasons although the team didn't explicitly say that on the radio. I just feel that while it's a good thing that racing rules are being relaxed a bit (if inconsistently) the basic safety rules should not be.

The start of the race was nice, but it was quite boring towards the middle. I can't believe Leclerc has gotten such little attention from the stewards from all the crazy **** he's doing.

That Albon/Norris shunt was like Nascar Thunder 2004.

Leclerc is under investigation for both parts of the incident. Good. I like Leclerc a lot but he's still at the stage I think of as Early Verstappen.

leclerc.JPG

Due to a technical error with the finish ledboard, the race was officially ended a lap early, meaning Perez finished and gets the points.

While the damage didn’t really affect Lewis, it totally screwed over Lando

It didn't affect him insofar as it ripped the mirror off his car. It's the potential for a truly tragic accident that's the problem if the stewards don't set a firm precedent.

They should investigate the Gasly/Perez's crash too IMO...

Not really, Perez came off worst and it was his fault to begin with. He was too greedy for the apex after he'd passed, Gasly had nowhere to go on that fast corner.

but it happened a lap after the race had already finished! :lol::lol:

Due to a technical error with the finish ledboard, the race was officially ended a lap early, meaning Perez finished and gets the points.

Things like that really shouldn't happen. And while we're at it... did anyone else notice all the yellow "flag" lights come on beside the cars at the start? I actually thought it was a false start.

It didn't affect him insofar as it ripped the mirror off his car. It's the potential for a truly tragic accident that's the problem if the stewards don't set a firm precedent.

Things like that really shouldn't happen. And while we're at it... did anyone else notice all the yellow "flag" lights come on beside the cars at the start? I actually thought it was a false start.

Ref Lewis, agreed 100%.

edit: I get the feeling that the stewards are trying to correct the decision made in Canada, regardless of your feelings it was a strong penalty. But yeah... idk what’s going on

But yeah, with the glitches, maybe they where due to them having to pack the whole thing up on the Friday due to the typhoon? Duknow, I think you can cut them some slack for that due to the circumstances.

Congrats to Mercedes for winning a 6th consecutive constructor and driver titles, something no other teams have done. I'm sure that will irk some people because they just want to see a different team/driver winning but I've thoroughly enjoyed watching them doing it over and over with consistent hardwork, performance, smart strategies and a bit of good fortune.

Can't wait to see how they'll fare in 2020 now that it's quite clear that their rivals have reached their level and even exceeded them in some instances.

As for the penalties, the steward have been very lenient on the Ferrari drivers. I will admit that after watching some of the analysis from Vettel start, I can kinda understand why he didn't get penalized but I think Charles completely deserved them and nothing has happened!

Very poor day for the stewards today, You can argue the rights and wrongs of how lenient they should be but inconsistency is what kills trust and for me they just seem chaotic in their decision making at the moment.
Guenther was right.

Back