• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 666 comments
My god what a mess of a race:
-Angry Toto Wolf
-Hamilton behind Kubica
-Vettel in Second
-No Mercedes Podium
-Mercedes botching a pit stop
-So many types of tires being changed around that im surprised no one came out of pit stops with front softs and rear intermediums
-Rain trolling the whole race
-That last corner run off area that made every car turn into a skiboard
-Verstappen's sick 360 grind on the sausage curb(Tony Hawk would be proud)

What does this mean? "Race start data"?
The relevant sporting regulation is:

Sporting Regulations
27) DRIVING
27.1 The driver must drive the car alone and unaided.

However the relevant technical regulations are three pages long. A summary would be:

Technical Regulations
ARTICLE 9 : TRANSMISSION SYSTEM 55‐58
9.1 Transmission types
9.2 Clutch control
9.3 Traction control
9.4 Clutch disengagement
9.5 Gearboxes
9.6 Gear ratios
9.7 Reverse gear
9.8 Gear changing
9.9 Torque transfer systems

I'd say that since the stewards cited "race start data" and sporting reg 27.1, 9.3 might be of interest here...

The relevant sporting regulation is:

Sporting Regulations
27) DRIVING
27.1 The driver must drive the car alone and unaided.

However the relevant technical regulations are three pages long. A summary would be:

Technical Regulations
ARTICLE 9 : TRANSMISSION SYSTEM 55‐58
9.1 Transmission types
9.2 Clutch control
9.3 Traction control
9.4 Clutch disengagement
9.5 Gearboxes
9.6 Gear ratios
9.7 Reverse gear
9.8 Gear changing
9.9 Torque transfer systems

I'd say that since the stewards cited "race start data" and sporting reg 27.1, 9.3 might be of interest here...
It would explain how Raikkonen didn't beach it.

Indeed, but maybe the clutch control articles are of interest too, it's one of the areas that's being tightened up in next year's regs.

So I broke down everything in regards to Mercedes to my friends. How Merc, in no particular order:

• Were the title sponsor
  • Were celebrating 2 different anniversaries
  • Had their new CEO in their paddock
  • How Mercedes apparently chose this race to let Netflix follow them for their F1 show
  • Had one-off paintjobs, outfits, resources and the like...
And every time I mentioned these things, the collective groans became louder and more prominent.

In any case, the biggest losers, by a damn country mile were Mercedes. My buddy who does film writing made the point that this would be a fantastic race to showcase how much time and effort Mercedes put into their operation, how much they take pride in being a well oiled machine, go crazy into the more involved technical details when allowed, and still show that even the best team are not invulnerable.

Almost nobody else matters, especially LecLerc and Hulk, who both seemingly grabbed defeat from the jaws of victory. The exceptions to that are Kvyat, who has had probably the most wonderful comeback story anyone can think of, Vettel, who after two really bad races and a really bad Saturday, casually strolled 20th to 2nd, which is probably a much needed confidence boost, and Netfilx themselves, who are probably running around in terror because they have so much material after today that they don't know what to do with it all.

Did we enjoy the race? YES WE DID!!!

What a rollercoaster from start to finish. Again a lot of surprises.

Last three races completely turned the bit of boring earlier races.
Live life to the Max :D

sorry couldn't resist to copy this from funny Rob van Gameren. Mercedes still 1&2 so see it (again) with a sense of humour :cheers:

To be fair to merc, they were caught waaaaay off guard there. I’ll be surprised if they don’t get a fine or something for that one guy who's not wearing any fireproof gear though.
Yep that's also seems to be under investigation

To be fair to merc, they were caught waaaaay off guard there. I’ll be surprised if they don’t get a fine or something for that one guy who's not wearing any fireproof gear though.
They keep racking up investigations.

*tune in to race* Ooh, wet track. *chaos ensues*

Stoked for Honda bookending the podium... just wish I was a fan of either driver.

Fantastic race - more than fantastic. The utter chaos at times was truly a pleasure to watch - Schadenfreude I know, but hey.

A couple of takeaways from this:

• Max dominates in the wet - this was already known, but this race reinforces it.
  • Vettel dominates more in the wet - 20th to 2nd - unbelievable.
  • Bottas' calm and nonchalant "Yeah, I'm Ok" after binning it reeks of "I'm dead: Toto's going to kill me"
  • The Mercedes cars are divas and primadonnas - they're the top of the top with an appropriate setup, until they get outside of their comfort zone, and then they complain like hell, which leads me to my next point.
  • Toto shouldn't be so pissed off - much of Mercedes success has been as a result of having cars tuned absolutely to the conditions in play and he shouldn't expect miracles when the conditions suddenly change, especially when in Parc Ferme,
  • Hulkenburg needs to learn about cadence braking - Hell even I know about this, but then I did learn to drive before ABS was a thing.
  • Albon should replace Gasly, Gasly should find a career in British Stock Car Racing.
  • All tracks need a sprinkler system for when the racing gets boring.
  • All teams should investigate the tyre compound on the tractor removing the wrecks - it's the only vehicle that didn't have a problem with the weather.

With this race I consider my entire years subscription to F1 TV to be paid for.

Equal drivers of the day are: Max for winning after such a dismal start, and Vettel for doing what was considered to be the impossible. Nice to see Vettel getting back on his game.

Last edited by a moderator:
No further action for Hamilton's second penalty, which was driving unnecessarily slowly behind the safety car.

• Bottas' calm and nonchalant "Yeah, I'm Ok" after binning it reeks of "I'm dead: Toto's going to kill me"
"I'm fine compared to how I'll be after you're done with me"

• All teams should investigate the tyre compound on the tractor removing the wrecks - it's the only vehicle that didn't have a problem with the weather
Monster truck F1 cars 💡

Last edited by a moderator:
A couple of takeaways from this:

• The Mercedes cars are divas and primadonnas - they're the top of the top with an appropriate setup, until they get outside of their comfort zone, and then they complain like hell, which leads me to my next point.
  • Toto shouldn't be so pissed off - much of Mercedes success has been as a result of having cars tuned absolutely to the conditions in play and he shouldn't expect miracles when the conditions suddenly change, especially when in Parc Ferme,

I think the nature racing drivers, who are hyper competitive, high on adrenaline, and have trained relentlessly on how to drive a car in one or two particular ways for their whole lives at this caliber, equates to them freaking out when things go haywire, because for that initial moment, they're caught completely off guard, and freak out as a result. Probably didn't help how rapidly conditions changed during the race.

And Toto I think has every right to be pissed. He was managing the race with a bunch of celebratory nonsense that he clearly wasn't fond of, with his new boss sitting next to him, and during the course of the race both of his drivers crash with one retiring, his other driver picks up a penalty that basically ends his race, and the driver who did wreck out spun in the same place that his teammate had spun less than five laps prior. And all of this happens two drivers that are capable of, and usually deliver, top-tier results.

And Toto I think has every right to be pissed. He was managing the race with a bunch of celebratory nonsense that he clearly wasn't fond of,

Obviously he's unhappy about the dressing-up side of the weekend but I wonder to what extent the presence of the Netflix team has affected team communications and attitudes?

Obviously he's unhappy about the dressing-up side of the weekend but I wonder to what extent the presence of the Netflix team has affected team communications and attitudes?
I don't think they care too much, they just do their thing. The main problem was just the weather (and maybe still a bit of Hamilton not feeling well)

Back