Formula 1 Mercedes-Benz Großer Preis von Deutschland 2019Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 666 comments
Enjoyable race, if only because of the chaos. As usual pretty disappointed with the GTPlanet forum regulars. The amount of whinging and bitching and general hate for drivers is pretty pathetic.

Normally I read these threads after the race just to see how everyone reacted. Nice to see that adults can't actually comment on a race without hurling childish insults because someone they don't like did well, or someone they don't like didn't so well.

Way to disappoint. Fun race though.

Enjoyable race, if only because of the chaos. As usual pretty disappointed with the GTPlanet forum regulars. The amount of whinging and bitching and general hate for drivers is pretty pathetic.

Normally I read these threads after the race just to see how everyone reacted. Nice to see that adults can't actually comment on a race without hurling childish insults because someone they don't like did well, or someone they don't like didn't so well.
You're going to have to point it out to me. I was participating in the thread, as it happened, and didn't see any particular insults, nor hate, hurled at any driver. I did moderate two posts, but neither were for that.

Did that race break the record for most pit stops in a Grand Prix?

Prost stopped 7 times at Donington, 1993. Did anybody beat that today? I'm sure there were some 6-stoppers.

EDIT: The Alfa Romeo inquiry... the clutch was delayed in its application and was let out more slowly than the drivers were commanding. This in effect constitutes a driver aid. Alfa Romeo say this isn't the case and they have the evidence to prove it, they intend to appeal to get their 10 points back. Kubica will lose his point if they're successful.

Last edited:
What. A. Race. That drag strip is like an instant kill zone :lol: Stroll leading for a few laps. Vettel going from last to 2nd. STR podium. Both Mercs out of points (until Alfa's penalty). Kubica outscoring Russel. I'm selling all my stocks because the world is officially ending tomorrow :lol:

If anything, this race reminds me of another German GP in terms of craziness (Nurburgring, not Hockenheim):

Bonus points if you can remember the "Stroll moment" of that race ;)

What a mess. I am absolutely gutted for Leclerc but still highly entertained. If the news about Hockenheim being dropped is true, this race is bittersweet. But hey, at least we still have Sochi, right?

It's a bit unfortunate how deadly just going a alittle wide in the last corner was today because of the standing water in the runoff. Some might praise accountability for going wide, but just an inch of understeer ended several races today.

Vettel made the least mistakes of the big guys today and reaped accordingly, with all the chaos around him. It was about time he drove like he belonged in a top team this year. I can't say much that hasn't already been said about the big Mercedes mess, the clutch strategy decisions aided by luck that RP and Torro Rosso did, or the Kubica point (pending appeal, apparently).

But man, it was already an absolute irredeemable mess of a race for Gastly, that we would have all been talking about already, with him spending most of the race behind the junior team cars. Then he had to go and crash into one of them and retire. I'm just glad Kyviat has managed to make a point about his demotion in the loudest way today. But lolGasly.

I knew this race was going to be good, but I didn't expect it to end up the way it. I stayed up to watch the race and I DO NOT regret it. Absolute drama for pretty much the entire race; this is what we want and this is what WE LIVE FOR! I'm saying it: that was THE BEST race of the hybrid era. One of the best races PERIOD. Thank you Hockenheim.

If F1 wants to create "exciting" racing, then one of the things it could do is reduce the amount of time teams have in preparation for when it counts on Sunday. If there has to be practice then get rid of FP1 and FP2, but reduce FP3 to just 45 minutes instead of an hour and keep it on Saturday morning: less time in-between sessions.

F1 tickets can be expensive enough as they are, reducing the amount of time the cars are on track, or the opportunity for cheap 'Friday' tickets doesn't do the spectators any favours. Further to that, it's unpredictable in-race conditions that help. Simply engineering a situation where different teams have set-ups dialled in, or not, would surely just see a processional race.

He wins even when he loses.
#Blessed
Still I r̶̶i̶̶s̶̶e̶̶ run-off

Apparently Red Bull improved upon last week's pit stop world record yesterday. One of Max's stops was done in 1.88 seconds.

Last edited:
I haven't been able to properly check, but I think that broke the record for most pit stops and most Safety Cars in a Grand Prix.

Hungarian 2011 had 88 pit stops in total while this GP had 78, I assume that Canada 2011 still has the safety car record but haven't checked

I don't know

Way to disappoint. Fun race though.
I don't know what's worse: Complainers or people coming in from on high complaining about complainers.

From r/formula1:

Leclerc was when Hamilton went off and broke his front wing.

gm0cmssd03d31.jpg

Was odd, especially when the crowd started making noise and Leclerc appeared to think it was for him, so he waved, unaware of Hamilton going off behind him.

This looks pretty dangerous.

From r/formula1:

gm0cmssd03d31.jpg

Was odd, especially when the crowd started making noise and Leclerc appeared to think it was for him, so he waved, unaware of Hamilton going off behind him.

Ergo my point from earlier
They gave the penalty to him for the wrong reason.

He should have been penalised for crashing under the Safety Car - and more importantly crashing at the post the crash was at. Everyone is lucky that the marshals had retreated and were waiting for clearance to go out again. Imagine what would have happened if there were people out on track - or worse, a truck craning the car away there. Hamilton was lucky to avoid killing a marshal or being killed himself.

They gave the penalty to him for the wrong reason.

He should have been penalised for crashing under the Safety Car - and more importantly crashing at the post the crash was at. Everyone is lucky that the marshals had retreated and were waiting for clearance to go out again. Imagine what would have happened if there were people out on track - or worse, a truck craning the car away there. Hamilton was lucky to avoid killing a marshal or being killed himself.

I’m confused, why should Hamilton be penalised for crashing? He wasn’t driving too quickly he was struggling to coast around on the wrong tyres?

If anything Lewis was investigated for going too slowly under SC conditions...

I’m confused, why should Hamilton be penalised for crashing? He wasn’t driving too quickly he was struggling to coast around on the wrong tyres?

If anything Lewis was investigated for going too slowly under SC conditions...
Crashing under the Safety Car. Crashing at the point where a car was already in the wall. Drivers are supposed to keep their car under control under yellow flags, and are reported to Race Control for spinning/crashing/overtaking/losing control under them. It's literally the rule for Yellow Flags is to not crash under them. That's the point.

Crashing under the Safety Car. Crashing at the point where a car was already in the wall. Drivers are supposed to keep their car under control under yellow flags, and are reported to Race Control for spinning/crashing/overtaking/losing control under them. It's literally the rule for Yellow Flags is to not crash under them. That's the point.

Right, but how was Lewis supposed to avoid crashing?
It reminds me of the 08(?) German GP where everyone was off at T1... when you aquaplane its just a lottery if you spin or not, and if one part of the track is wetter than another, chances are it's going to be the place where more than one person goes off...

The TV feed showed Hulkenberg walking slowly along the same wall in the same direction after his crash, and I remember thinking then that someone needed to be getting him out of the way quickly... Looking at the picture of Leclerc, there is no one around at all telling him where to go, or that he needs to maybe think about hurrying up...

Yeah wanting to give Hamilton a penalty for crashing is a bit ridiculous, he wasn’t even going that quickly, he just got caught out.

Right, but how was Lewis supposed to avoid crashing?
It reminds me of the 08(?) German GP where everyone was off at T1... when you aquaplane its just a lottery if you spin or not, and if one part of the track is wetter than another, chances are it's going to be the place where more than one person goes off...
How many drivers went through that corner without crashing on the lap? Regardless of aquaplaning or not, a rule is a rule and as the FIA takes safety rules and violations very seriously, this is one that should have been enforced.

Drivers crashing under yellow flags is what killed Bianchi. Can you imagine the fallout if Hamilton had skated under the crane which came out to clear the Ferrari later if the timing was worse?

Another casualty of the wet surface...

One of Renault's trailers has crashed on its way to Budapest. They still don't know how much is lost / damaged.

Screenshot_20190729-135535.png

Last edited:
Everybody crashing in the same spot (Nürburgring T1 back then) at racing speeds is quite a bit different than crashing because of going too fast behind the safety car. The latter situation is pretty much the same as a full course double yellow and everyone should remember what happened the last time someone overdid it under double yellows in the rain.

Also the "what should have Hamilton done?" comments are borderline ridiculous. Accept the situation, nothing less. In Le Mans if you get a puncture just past the pit straight you drive the car the remaining 13+ km back into the pits, if it holds together long enough that it. Sometimes it does and a lot of time is lost, sometimes it doesn't and that's a retirement then. This wasn't even an unavoidable problem, he screwed up totally by himself and then took a shortcut to minimize losses.

Back