Formula 1 MSC Cruises Belgian Grand Prix 2023Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 174 comments
Great effort by Piastri! He continues to impress with the improved McLaren. Excited for tomorrow.

Boo, 5 sec penalty for Lewis was lame.

edit: Ah! I almost forgot about Gasly! Good to see his efforts being rewarded after a pretty crap season.

Last edited:
rsh
Destroyed the floor and sidepod from Checo. Which let to the DNF.
Heaven forbid should 2 cars race side by side.

It's a dumb penalty, 2 cars, side by side, racing through multiple corners with a bit of contact. It's pathetic, and there's no bias to that opinion, that is a dumb penalty regardless of who it is.

rsh
The penalty is completely justified. Caused a DNF, while all was needed was some space and some thinking.

Not the first time Lewis takes out a RedBull with such a move. RedBull ring and Brazil come to mind.
Penalties are based on the action and not on the consequences.

It was close racing which led to some minor contact. The fact that the minor contact caused damage significant enough to cause a DNF is irrelevant. Hamilton didn't make some crazy move or anything. I think it's reasonable to classify it as a racing incident.

Penalties are based on the action and not on the consequences.

It was close racing which led to some minor contact. The fact that the minor contact caused damage significant enough to cause a DNF is irrelevant. Hamilton didn't make some crazy move or anything. I think it's reasonable to classify it as a racing incident.
100%. Be interesting to see the guys thought if it was the other way round.

Penalties are based on the action and not on the consequences
Yes, you're right. Body contact is prohibited in F1. Lewis has the responsibility to not move up the track and hit Perez. Perez's line was consistent with an expected racing line. So, the action is clearly causing the penalty.

Yes, you're right. Body contact is prohibited in F1. Lewis has the responsibility to not move up the track and hit Perez. Perez's line was consistent with an expected racing line. So, the action is clearly causing the penalty.
I'm sure that's the way that race control viewed it, yes. I was mainly responding to @rsh who said Hamilton deserved the penalty because it caused Perez to DNF.

I personally think it was more of a racing incident than something worthy of a penalty. In close racing, there is contact sometimes. I think a penalty should only be given if the contact was caused by erratic or dangerous driving.

Lewis did cause the contact, that's for sure (i.e. there is no argument to be made that Perez is at fault), but I feel that he didn't do anything bad enough to justify it being penalized. They were racing closely, and they touched, and that's it for me. I can understand if you disagree with that (it's not very far of the point where I would consider it worth a penalty), it's just how I view it.

if I get a bad exit coming out of Stavelot 1, I'm always going to be at risk of being overtaken at Stavelot 2 all the way up to the chicane because of the loss of momentum. The guy on the inside lane at Stavelot 2 is always going to run wide because of the nature of the corner, let alone running side by side (dirty air) and in such low grip conditions. It's the same situation we've seen many times with people trying to stick their neck around the outside of Red Bull Ring Turn 4. Yes you can just about do it, but you need a very compliant driver on the inside and a lot of luck not to touch.

If I'm Perez I would be blaming myself for not yielding and thinking long term there. The RB have such an advantage he could probably get back past Hamilton half a lap later on the Kemmel straight with DRS.

Last edited:
If I'm Perez I would be blaming myself for not yielding and thinking long term there. The RB have such an advantage he could probably get back past Hamilton half a lap later on the Kemmel straight with DRS.
I agree with your there to a certain degree however wet weather = no DRS, and he read already losing time before the collision.

For what it's worth, it was a poor penalty especially when you consider the same stewards gave no penalty for Pepe Martin rejoining the track unsafely and collecting Ido Cohen in the F3 race...

I'm sure that's the way that race control viewed it, yes. I was mainly responding to @rsh who said Hamilton deserved the penalty because it caused Perez to DNF.

I personally think it was more of a racing incident than something worthy of a penalty. In close racing, there is contact sometimes. I think a penalty should only be given if the contact was caused by erratic or dangerous driving.

Lewis did cause the contact, that's for sure (i.e. there is no argument to be made that Perez is at fault), but I feel that he didn't do anything bad enough to justify it being penalized. They were racing closely, and they touched, and that's it for me. I can understand if you disagree with that (it's not very far of the point where I would consider it worth a penalty), it's just how I view it.

The stewards. They decided on the penalty.

A driver gets a penalty if he can’t control is car for instance.
And in this case they marked it as dangerous driving, hence the penalty points on his license.

Why Hamilton didn’t wait for a move we will never know. Passing Perez without any confidence in his car in these circumstances, would always be a matter of time.

Reading the comments above, the armchair quarterbacks know stuff better though. It is not the race rules, but a feeling why somebody would get a penalty, or not.

rsh
The stewards. They decided on the penalty.

A driver gets a penalty if he can’t control is car for instance.
And in this case they marked it as dangerous driving, hence the penalty points on his license.

Why Hamilton didn’t wait for a move we will never know. Passing Perez without any confidence in his car in these circumstances, would always be a matter of time.

Reading the comments above, the armchair quarterbacks know stuff better though. It is not the race rules, but a feeling why somebody would get a penalty, or not.
There was nothing about it that was dangerous driving, Hamilton was waiting, Perez made a mistake and Hamilton got alongside him.

Take your Red Bull specs off and have another look.

Watched this and yeah racing incident for me.

Edit: Also I'd never heard of Daniel Kahneman, did a Google search and he's.. Um relevant how?

Last edited:
if I get a bad exit coming out of Stavelot 1, I'm always going to be at risk of being overtaken at Stavelot 2 all the way up to the chicane because of the loss of momentum. The guy on the inside lane at Stavelot 2 is always going to run wide because of the nature of the corner, let alone running side by side (dirty air) and in such low grip conditions. It's the same situation we've seen many times with people trying to stick their neck around the outside of Red Bull Ring Turn 4. Yes you can just about do it, but you need a very compliant driver on the inside and a lot of luck not to touch.

There was no DRS and Lewis car this weekend is probably the fastest on a straight without DRS. Hopefully they can fix his car so it is back to the same level of performance and he can do something special in the grand prix if his tyres hold up in the race. In the right circumstance, he can win today. Such a shame either Sergio or Lewis did not yield enough in the sprint race as it was looking like it was going to be an interesting end otherwise. Glad at least Pierre got to finish third out of it.
For what it's worth, it was a poor penalty especially when you consider the same stewards gave no penalty for Pepe Martin rejoining the track unsafely and collecting Ido Cohen in the F3 race...
Below was also not worthy of a penalty... If they apply the same rules, Lewis also would not be penalised because he made the corner and if Sergio gave more room that was also available, without contact. Sometimes the stewards seem to invent things to try and get Lewis penalised and don't give other drivers penalties for what should be slam-dunk ones.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back