Formula 1 Pirelli Gran Premio Della Toscana Ferrari 1000 2020Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 451 comments
Hamilton deserves another stop-and-go penalty for this ghastly outfit alone...

119180927_3706109562803678_6713619121794242894_o.jpg

I know why they have them, but it sure deters drivers from keeping it within the boundaries of the circuit. Which is a shame.

And the FIA suck donkey balls at enforcing anything to do with track limits.

They should just put those yellow Austria sausages at every track, break those front wings right off.
All safety features encourage drivers to take more risks, just the nature of the game. Back in the 50s and 60s, it was unheard-of to deliberately force drivers to either back off or make contact/run off the road because there was a very real chance a driver would die if he crashed. It was very rare for aggressive late-braker drivers to last very long in motorsports because career-ending crashes were so commonplace.
Those sausage kerbs are notorious for causing drivers to lose control or get launched, that’s why a lot of circuits are moving away from them. Especially after that incident at Monza last year.

Hamilton deserves another stop-and-go penalty for this ghastly outfit alone...
One must be Ghastly to win in Italy this year.

-

But yeh, that outfit is like trying to do a Sudoku during a bad acid trip.

All safety features encourage drivers to take more risks, just the nature of the game. Back in the 50s and 60s, it was unheard-of to deliberately force drivers to either back off or make contact/run off the road because there was a very real chance a driver would die if he crashed. It was very rare for aggressive late-braker drivers to last very long in motorsports because career-ending crashes were so commonplace.
Those sausage kerbs are notorious for causing drivers to lose control or get launched, that’s why a lot of circuits are moving away from them. Especially after that incident at Monza last year.

The incident at Monza was literally the only incident that i have seen where anyone "flew". And wasnt it F3?

And its because your catapulted put of parabolica at 150mph and hitting the curb. That curb wasn't well placed, they should just use the aggressive serrated ones there.

You can't compare driving from the 50s and 60s to now, there was literally no safety back then. It wasn't even on the drivers minds, they we're just out there adrenaline surging all race long. Considering they were essentially sliding the whole time anyway.

The incident at Monza was literally the only incident that i have seen where anyone "flew". And wasnt it F3?

And its because your catapulted put of parabolica at 150mph and hitting the curb. That curb wasn't well placed, they should just use the aggressive serrated ones there.

You can't compare driving from the 50s and 60s to now, there was literally no safety back then. It wasn't even on the drivers minds, they we're just out there adrenaline surging all race long. Considering they were essentially sliding the whole time anyway.

You can't have been watching motorsport very long then, not every incident will involve flying cars but sausage kerbs have caused more than their fair share of accidents.

And besides, it should only take 1 incident to make an adjustment for safety, 1 car launching off a kerb over the barriers, is 1 car launching off a kerb over the barriers too many. Whether it was F3 or not is immaterial (it was), he was still knocked unconscious, still broke a vertebra and was out of a race car for 3 months.

You can't have been watching motorsport very long then, not every incident will involve flying cars but sausage kerbs have caused more than their fair share of accidents.

And besides, it should only take 1 incident to make an adjustment for safety, 1 car launching off a kerb over the barriers, is 1 car launching off a kerb over the barriers too many. Whether it was F3 or not is immaterial (it was), he was still knocked unconscious, still broke a vertebra and was out of a race car for 3 months.

I was referring to flying due to the Austria style sausage curbs. Not flying in general.

Verstappen was slightly launched by one last week at Monza and there have been a few other mild ones over the years.

This one at Spa a few years ago in F3

Sophia Floersch is another well-known one.

Heidfeld in the first FE race

Those sausage kerbs are really not a good idea.

Verstappen was slightly launched by one last week at Monza and there have been a few other mild ones over the years.

This one at Spa a few years ago in F3

Sophia Floersch is another well-known one.

Heidfeld in the first FE race

Those sausage kerbs are really not a good idea.

Sophias ones could have been a much bigger disaster than it was. That kurb jump is one of the worst I've seen.

Sophias ones could have been a much bigger disaster than it was. That kurb jump is one of the worst I've seen.

Indeed. Once you're launched it's mostly a matter of luck what happens and what you hit. In Sophia's case she was lucky the rear of the car impacted first, not the cockpit area.

Formula and other flat floored race cars will always have the risk of flipping through natural means/crashes/aero but I really don't know why they install literal ramps at circuits to make it even easier, there are much simpler ways to prevent corner cutting than those.

Sausage kerbs are a bad idea always imo, would rather a low friction surface or something being put there so there is a penalty without putting crap on the track.

I do like me some sand though but you do have the issues of skipping the sand trap if you hit it at speed, maybe a mud trap would be better?

I know its pointless comparing 2 wheel racing to 4 wheel racing but the MotoGP lap record courtesy of Marc Marquez is a 1:45.5. In FP2 Bottas did a 1:17.8. Still mind blowing, the MotoGP bikes aren't slow.

Current F3 pole time is a 1:36.0.

I know its pointless comparing 2 wheel racing to 4 wheel racing but the MotoGP lap record courtesy of Marc Marquez is a 1:45.5. In FP2 Bottas did a 1:17.8. Still mind blowing, the MotoGP bikes aren't slow.

Current F3 pole time is a 1:36.0.
2 Wheels is a massive disadvantage on the corners.

Does anyone else get Sepang vibes from this track?

Back