Formula 1 Pirelli Gran Premio d'Italia 2023Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 156 comments

Jimlaad43

GeoGuessr God
Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Up next is the only Grand Prix in Italy this year (after Imola's flood-related calling off), meaning it's Ferrari's only chance to balls it up win in front of their home crowd. The low downforce circuit always requires a unique aerodynamic setup to deal with the constant crazy high-speeds, and the necessity for a slipstream can give us comical, if farcical, moments in Qualifying. The margins for error here are quite small, so let's see what the drivers can do with it. Red Bull have won every race this season, and Max Verstappen could make it 10 in a row. Will anybody find a way to stop them? We will find out at the ITALIAN GRAND PRIX.​
1693465981302.png

First Grand Prix

Number of Laps

Circuit Length
5.793km

Race Distance
306.72 km

Lap Record
1:21.046 Rubens Barrichello (2004)​

It is said the Ferrari 499P will be there on display.

I honestly I hope a nice Ferrari parade with some Ferrari F1 cars and the Ferrari 499P.

I mean Ferrari aint gonna win this race at least make it a Ferrari festival for the fans.

Got a feeling Mercedes and McLaren will be strong here. It's a DRS fest in quali and racing conditions so expect a Red Bull clean sweep overall. But, if someone can get ahead of the pack and break the 1 second barrier, they'll have a chance.

Got a feeling Mercedes and McLaren will be strong here. It's a DRS fest in quali and racing conditions so expect a Red Bull clean sweep overall. But, if someone can get ahead of the pack and break the 1 second barrier, they'll have a chance.
Those 2 teams have always struggle with drag, albeit less so than Aston Martin who apparently is bringing upgrades to remedy that. Why do you think they will be good here?

I'm not holding my breath but I think Ferrari should do really well here. Not sure if they'll be able to win it but if they do keep that straight line speed advantage that they've been showing since Spa, they should be able to challenge Max and Red Bull.

It would be great if Lewis can win to mark his contract renewal. Best thing for him is he already experienced the car with low downforce at Spa and car has improved since then and he seems confident under braking which is crucial at this track. Given there might be limited running due to tyres, puts him at an advantage to fine tune. If not him, it would be great if Williams or Ferrari or anyone other than Red Bull can win to confirm the Monza effect!

It would be great if Lewis can win to mark his contract renewal. Best thing for him is he already experienced the car with low downforce at Spa and car has improved since then and he seems confident under braking which is crucial at this track. Given there might be limited running due to tyres, puts him at an advantage to fine tune. If not him, it would be great if Williams or Ferrari or anyone other than Red Bull can win to confirm the Monza effect!
Your optimism borders on naïvety. You're gonna need a Red Bull double DNF to start.

Curious about Alpine and Williams. Both seem to struggle with downforce, which actually should give and advantage at Monza.

Would be simply lovely to see Max make history and pick up his 10th win. But that seems easier said then done.
For him this isn’t one of his worst tracks. Only winning last year, and never a podium before.

The Mercs are bouncing so much it's quite shocking to see considering they should have solved that problem already.

Watching FP1 I kept thinking the circuit looks a bit different. Having watched back a couple of pole laps from previous years, I worked it out.

There seems to have been a LOT of trees cut down around the track. The first chicane has much fewer trees after it, while the inside of the Lesmos looks largely much cut apart too.

Does anyone know if this was planned or forced by other factors? Or is it like Knockhill where trees around the circuit are cut and grown as forestry for industry?

Watching FP1 I kept thinking the circuit looks a bit different. Having watched back a couple of pole laps from previous years, I worked it out.

There seems to have been a LOT of trees cut down around the track. The first chicane has much fewer trees after it, while the inside of the Lesmos looks largely much cut apart too.

Does anyone know if this was planned or forced by other factors? Or is it like Knockhill where trees around the circuit are cut and grown as forestry for industry?
They're just running medium graphics to maintain fps.

The circuit sits within a municiple park, so i doubt there's any forestry industry going on there. Probably just grounds keeping, a bit of tree maintenance going on. Unless they are clearing space for future grandstands?

edit

The Autodromo Nazionale Monza will plant 3 thousand new trees in the Monza Park​

Fifty new trees have already been installed but within a few months there will be almost 3 thousand plants that the Monza National Circuit will plant at its own expense in the Monza Park. The racetrack has begun in recent days the planting of the first fifty specimens of ready-to-use hornbeams (i.e. large adult plants) five meters high, to reconstruct a row along an avenue between the second curve of Lesmo and the Seraglio . The lot to which the hornbeams belong is made up of 554 plants in total and will be fully laid by the beginning of the spring season.

This is the planting intervention, to compensate for the cutting of a few hundred trees placed in the green areas inside the portion of the Monza Park belonging to the Temple of Speed, in a ratio of a tree planted to one that has been cut or crashed. The removal of the plants, which took place in recent years, has made it possible to improve the safety of the areas of the Autodrome in which risk situations have been identified. The interventions involved both trees in worrying vegetative conditions within areas affected by the transit and parking of people and vehicles and trees crashed by the wind during the violent accidents that characterized the last summer seasons.

The cutting works concerning risk situations have been previously authorized by the competent bodies: Valle del Lambro Regional Park, Villa Reale Consortium and Monza Park, Superintendence of fine arts and landscape of Milan and for the provinces of Como, Lecco, Monza and Brianza, Pavia, Sondrio and Varese.

As part of the maintenance and enhancement of the park’s green spaces by the Monza National Circuit, in addition to the trees in the first lot, another 2,400 plants will be planted again by spring. The operation fulfills the fulfillment envisaged by the past agreement for the concession of the Monza racetrack area for the years from 2016 to 2019, which includes the laying of 600 forest plants per year.

The forest seedlings will be of certified origin belonging to the flora of the Park and with seeds coming from the Lombard regional genetic heritage, suitable for planting in wooded portions of park or to be reforested because they can develop appropriately to the context and specific stationary conditions. The 554 plants to replace the cuts will be mostly adult specimens between 3 and 6 meters in height. In fact, the use of specimens with a prompt effect has been chosen, where the plants will be planted along avenues, to reconstitute the pre-existing rows, or isolated; in wooded areas, the choice of forest seedlings combined with the necessary multi-year crop care will be preferred.

Last edited:
Stop
Holding
F1
Sessions
In
Late
Afternoon

The sun is so low that all shots of the cars driving towards the sun are just reflections and all the cars are indistinguishable. Suzuka used to be terrible for it with their afternoon races, Melbourne did it and the exit of the second chicane at Monza is rubbish in this FP2 session. What happened to the 9am 1pm Friday sessions? This FP2 is starting at 5pm local time. Totally unnecessary.

Autosport have reported that a minimum lap time of 1. 41 has been brought in for qualifying in an attempt to stop the ridiculous carparks that we have seen here in recent years.

Out of all the special liveries recently, I would love to see that Alfa scheme every week. They need to run that more often.

Autosport have reported that a minimum lap time of 1. 41 has been brought in for qualifying in an attempt to stop the ridiculous carparks that we have seen here in recent years.
And if you fail to meet it?

Out of all the special liveries recently, I would love to see that Alfa scheme every week. They need to run that more often.

I wonder if the fan reaction to it would encourage Haas to run something similar next season, Steiner is Italian as well so would fit well.

Someone please put Stroll in the bin. 8 tenths slow (teammate comparison) at Monza? No excuse for being dead last.

Last edited:
...Why do they need to wait after the session? Surely the stewards can just look at their lap times during both cars' outlaps and just say "Yep, that's over the magic numbers." :odd:

Anyone aware if the penalty is predetermined (or at stewards discretion) for exceeding maximum time? (Ferrari investigation)

Red Bull really are a dirty team. Both drivers on their cooldown lap trying to disturb Russell and Hamilton. (actually managing to in the latter case)
This isn't the first time this season either. FIA need to crack down on this.

Usually an F1 car Elephant Walk is pretty neat, but at Monza it just activates instant annoyance for me. :lol:

Going to be tight between Ferrari and Red Bull. Red Bull have a the pace advantage slightly, but Sainz is really driving well recently.

Latest Posts

Back